The Compleat SongFight

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

The Compleat SongFight

Post by mkilly »

Sooo, I want to have all of the SongFight archives on my computer. Does anybody with a DVD burner have them on their computer already? If not, or even if so, would the FightMasters have objection to an open invitation to burn them for the cost of blank DVD+Rs and postage to anybody that wants them? 'Cause I have a DVD burner and would imagine there's some interest in getting the bidness. That or a BitTorrent, I guess. Brad might help with that.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Re: The Compleat SongFight

Post by roymond »

mkilly wrote:burn them for the cost of blank DVD+Rs and postage to anybody that wants them?
My guess is the effort involved is worth far more than the cost of a disc. A pretty simple wget would do the trick.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

roymond wrote:My guess is the effort involved is worth far more than the cost of a disc. A pretty simple wget would do the trick.
Probably, but I've been hesitant to do it because of all the bandwidth it would suck up. Maybe if I didn't know the guy who pays for it, I wouldn't feel so bad, but as it stands, a disc would be nice. :)
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

bzl wrote:
roymond wrote:My guess is the effort involved is worth far more than the cost of a disc. A pretty simple wget would do the trick.
Probably, but I've been hesitant to do it because of all the bandwidth it would suck up. Maybe if I didn't know the guy who pays for it, I wouldn't feel so bad, but as it stands, a disc would be nice. :)
I was talking about the fightmasters' effort. Perhaps I misunderstood Marcus, and he was offering to do it for whomever.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

I would want to discuss it with FightMaster Sr. However, barring whatever concerns he may have, which I will proactively agree with now in advance, I would say that if you want to trade the entire archive around with people, a zipped file passed around with Bittorrent would be my preference, for bandwidth preservation.

As far as burning a DVD or whatever, and again barring any concerns that Sr. may bring up, I'm all right with it as long as there is ZERO profit being made. Nobody submits their songs to songfight so that some chump can come along and make money off them. Any for-profit ventures with songfight songs MUST be entered into with the agreement and express permission of everyone involved. Submitting a song to Song Fight does NOT give anyone else license to use your song in any way other than to listen to it for personal use, and vote for it on Song Fight. And if anybody complains about having a song on your archived disc, well, you should probably concede to their wishes.

Just so you know.

Oh, and the archive as of today is 8.6Gb in size.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

jb wrote:Any for-profit ventures with songfight songs MUST be entered into with the agreement and express permission of everyone involved. Submitting a song to Song Fight does NOT give anyone else license to use your song in any way other than to listen to it for personal use, and vote for it on Song Fight. And if anybody complains about having a song on your archived disc, well, you should probably concede to their wishes.
Then you should change the FAQ:
the FAQ wrote:What is Song Fight's stance on copyright?

Song Fight will take no official or unofficial position on this issue. Enter at your own risk. By submitting your song, you are authorizing us to post it permanently on a publicly viewable Web site where it can be downloaded by anyone.
And God bless anyone who profits from Hostess Mostess entries. If you can create the demand, we've still got the supply.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Mostess wrote:
jb wrote:Any for-profit ventures with songfight songs MUST be entered into with the agreement and express permission of everyone involved. Submitting a song to Song Fight does NOT give anyone else license to use your song in any way other than to listen to it for personal use, and vote for it on Song Fight. And if anybody complains about having a song on your archived disc, well, you should probably concede to their wishes.
Then you should change the FAQ:
the FAQ wrote:What is Song Fight's stance on copyright?

Song Fight will take no official or unofficial position on this issue. Enter at your own risk. By submitting your song, you are authorizing us to post it permanently on a publicly viewable Web site where it can be downloaded by anyone.
And God bless anyone who profits from Hostess Mostess entries. If you can create the demand, we've still got the supply.
Well, that's obviously just my opinion. :)
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

jb wrote: Well, that's obviously just my opinion. :)
Sorry, I didn't know which hat you were wearing. :)
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell