duplicate names

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

duplicate names

Post by Lunkhead »

If you choose a name like "Butter" or "Poodle" or "Feldspar" or "Ampersand" or "Octothorpe" or "add", or some other English word or phrase that sounds cool and that somebody else might want to use for a band name-- that is a risk you take when choosing that name. Hell, even stuff like "Loyalty Day" or "Urine Luck" aren't completely safe from this phenomenon.
What -is- safe from this? "The Jon Benjamin Band"? "lsaidjaosidajosj"? It's less likely someone will coincidentally choose one of those band names out of the blue, but as soon as someone submits under any band name, anyone can use that name.
[paraphrase] ... first time in 5 years ... not going to worry about it ... [/paraphrase]
That doesn't mean there shouldn't be a concrete policy about this. What's going to happen with the artist archive? Will the "original" Feldspar have somebody else's songs on his page? You'll probably wind up having to distinguish between the two Feldspars somehow, so now might be a good time to set the policy.

Maybe the response to a duplicate name would be something like, "Sorry, that name's already taken, you'll have to be 'Feldspar (2)' or choose something else." ?

Just my $0.02...
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

I think it's some damn bullshit. In the "real" world, when you find out your band name has already been used by another band, you change your damn name.

Feldspar U.K.

Feldspar Jr.

Son Of Feldspar.

If it was me, I'd be raising holy hell about it.

I think the FM's should give "classic" Feldspar the e-mail address the song came from, so, at least, the dude knows what going on, and mebbe they can work something out.

Or, okay, a slightly more diplomatic approach, to prevent "hey, don't give out my e-mail" issues would be FM's give Feldspar U.K. the orig's e-mail.

Oof. I'd be steamed. But I'm like that.
FightMaster Jr.
A New Player

Post by FightMaster Jr. »

Phil. Redmon. wrote:I think it's some damn bullshit. In the "real" world, when you find out your band name has already been used by another band, you change your damn name.

I think the FM's should give "classic" Feldspar the e-mail address the song came from, so, at least, the dude knows what going on, and mebbe they can work something out.

Or, okay, a slightly more diplomatic approach, to prevent "hey, don't give out my e-mail" issues would be FM's give Feldspar U.K. the orig's e-mail.

Oof. I'd be steamed. But I'm like that.
Read my post in the other thread.

And also, we will never give out anyone's email address without permission. We will hardly ever even tell you the name of someone who submits, or the alias, or whatever, unless they have revealed it elsewhere.

And furthermore, getting "steamed" is definitely not the right way to get results from FightMaster.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

i do not consider feldspar to be a normal everyday word that multiple artists would be likely to use as a moniker. i had never heard the word "feldspar" before coming to songfight. it doesn't look at all like a coincidence to me. my guess is a troll trying to ruffle some feathers.

so even though my band name sucks, i would be steamed if someone submitted under my name.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Crisis on alternative earths! some thoughts

There is no such thing as an original thought, obviously. The London Feldspar would be a good name. No copyright on intellectual property! (where is Adjuster when you need a good half-page post)?

What 'Original Flavour' Feldspar should have done is PMed pretender to the throne and politely sorted it out instead of trumpeting on the boards. I am sure that a comprimise could have been reached.

It's not like he's been fighting on a regular basis. Why should new F spin through 1,000 artists in the archive to find out if a name has been taken?

Anyway, Barry Allen Feldspar has pointed out the difference so we all now know. Let's wait and see how Wally West Feldspar reacts instead of getting uppity, eh?

Next week, I shall be recording as Johnny Cashpoint, and we shall see how Johnny Cashpoint likes it...
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

j$ wrote: Next week, I shall be recording as Johnny Cashpoint, and we shall see how Johnny Cashpoint likes it...
He's gonna complain all week, that's what I think.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

j$ wrote:Anyway, Barry Allen Feldspar has pointed out the difference so we all now know. Let's wait and see how Wally West Feldspar reacts instead of getting uppity, eh?
I'm the Feldspar! You hear me, punk? I'M THE FELDSPAR!
Let cake eat them.
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Melodica, Misc. Noisemakers, Etc.
Recording Method: 2 old bean cans and a piece of string
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

I'm really glad that Elvis Costello didn't sue the makers of Napolean Dynamite over the use of that name. Then we never would have gotten that kick ass movie.
White people, is you funky?
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

I for one will be entering as John Benjamin Band from now on :P
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

This just brings up a memory. In the late seventies and the early eighties there were a milllion bands named "Pegasus" or some variation. Maybe Feldspar will become the next over used name. I may have to grab Fried-Feldspar before the movement gets under way. Seriously, all you can do is tell the man and have them change the name to preserve the archives.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

The new hxaro: Josh Woodward picks somebody who's never come out on top in a songfight, enters as them, and gives them their first win...

No, probably not...

Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I am an idiot.

Where is the other thread?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

king_arthur wrote:The new hxaro: Josh Woodward picks somebody who's never come out on top in a songfight, enters as them, and gives them their first win...

No, probably not...

Charles
even better, he enters a song as "the sober irishman" and deems it to be his "cover" that he keeps getting slagged about.
Hi!
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Fried wrote:This just brings up a memory. In the late seventies and the early eighties there were a milllion bands named "Pegasus" or some variation. Maybe Feldspar will become the next over used name. I may have to grab Fried-Feldspar before the movement gets under way. Seriously, all you can do is tell the man and have them change the name to preserve the archives.

I have already registered all possible variations on website names absed on feldspar just in case. Watchout for feldsparfight.org, coming soon to a url near you.

(grammar query - why do words starting with U always take 'a' rather than 'an'? Is there an official linguistic reason beyond it sits ebtter on the tongue? Just curious ...)
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Linguisticly, you're supposed to use "a" for any word that begins with a consonant sound (including /w/ and /y/), and "an" for any word beginning with a vowel sound. Therefore, when you verbally say "URL," you're saying "Yoo-Are-Ell." It begins with the sound /y/, and thus merits the exclusion of the n.

Don't quote me on this, but I think there's an ambiguous exception for words beginning with H, so my english teacher can sound all smart-like and say "He is an historian."

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

Generic wrote: Don't quote me on this, but I think there's an ambiguous exception for words beginning with H, so my english teacher can sound all smart-like and say "He is an historian."
gah! i hate when people do that! i hate it! i hate it! i hate it!
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

I don't get it. An historian is correct.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

it sounds bad though.
TVsKyle
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: keyboard, accordion, drum loops
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: TV's Kyle

Post by TVsKyle »

It sounds just fine if you say it with a british accent.
-Kyle A. Carrozza
http://TVsKyle.bandcamp.com
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

I guess it's correct, I'm inclined to believe Spud. If you say that, are you still supposed to pronounce the H, like my English Teacher does? Because that actually does sound awkward, to my ears.

Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

If you don't mind it's an English accent. not British.

You do pronounce the 'H', and that stormtrooper is worrying me.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Kamakura wrote:If you don't mind it's an English accent. not British.

You do pronounce the 'H', and that stormtrooper is worrying me.
Depends where you come from in England of course. I live near the dropped Hs of the East End of London. They would say (if they said it at all) 'istorian. So it would be 'an 'istorian', which gets round the whole 'h' dilemma :)

'A historian' (the way i would say it) sounds stupid because my natural inclination is stress the A to get away with it. 'An historian' is probably correct (because Hs are silent grammatically, I think) but it sounds awkward to say, so I guess the best thing for me is not to use the phrase 'An historian' in a sentence!