Give me a hand with these (Walk Steady Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Give me a hand with these (Walk Steady Reviews)

Post by owl »

Thanks for posting the updated podcast link! It was a fun listen (and by fun, I mean sort of terrifying above and beyond the usual low-key anxiety about seeing merely written critiques.) I'm glad to see my band's video for Wicker Park has somehow stuck in someone's memory!

also, there is only one of me, btw, she/her pronouns. No Haldol involved, just a fondness for sudden endings, but that does remind me of a time I went to see Daniel Johnston and someone in the audience yelled "We love you, Daniel!" and he turned vaguely in their direction and mumbled "We love you too."

I'm halfway through the Doom with a View podcast, which is also surprisingly fascinating even though I didn't listen to the songs from that fight!
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise
Pronouns: he/him

Post by lichenthroat »

Thanks for the great podcast! You have, however, gone much too far down the rabbit hole. I am not much of a video game player, and the only thing in my "My Favorite Monster" song that was an explicit reference to anything was "Green-Eyed Owl," which is the title of a song by The Chills about a clock that looks like an owl; I thought it sounded like a cool name for a tavern.

Regarding your question about what music I listen to, it's mostly indie rock, with typical favorites including Frightened Rabbit, Okkervil River, Bishop Allen, Say Hi, The National, and The Chills (who I'm seeing tonight for the first time, incidentally). I also have a liking for female-vocal pop-punk, twee stuff, such as Alvvays, Plumtree, Palomar, Cub, and any of Amelia Fletcher's bands, but that's tough for me to emulate with my voice. If I could sound like anything, maybe it would be The Chills with a little more punk influence, perhaps with a dash of 80s Warren Zevon thrown in.
Erwin Cloibhofer
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Pronouns: _

Post by Erwin Cloibhofer »

----------
Last edited by Erwin Cloibhofer on Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

lichenthroat wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:40 pm
Thanks for the great podcast! You have, however, gone much too far down the rabbit hole. I am not much of a video game player, and the only thing in my "My Favorite Monster" song that was an explicit reference to anything was "Green-Eyed Owl," which is the title of a song by The Chills about a clock that looks like an owl; I thought it sounded like a cool name for a tavern.

Regarding your question about what music I listen to, it's mostly indie rock, with typical favorites including Frightened Rabbit, Okkervil River, Bishop Allen, Say Hi, The National, and The Chills (who I'm seeing tonight for the first time, incidentally). I also have a liking for female-vocal pop-punk, twee stuff, such as Alvvays, Plumtree, Palomar, Cub, and any of Amelia Fletcher's bands, but that's tough for me to emulate with my voice. If I could sound like anything, maybe it would be The Chills with a little more punk influence, perhaps with a dash of 80s Warren Zevon thrown in.
How were The Chills, where'd you see the show? I really like that band.
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise
Pronouns: he/him

Post by lichenthroat »

owl wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:55 pm
How were The Chills, where'd you see the show? I really like that band.
The show was great. Strangely, it was at a club in a strip mall in Costa Mesa, California. The set list was well chosen from all eras of the band's history. Martin Phillipps's voice sounded exactly the same, and the rest of the band was in good form. "Doledrums" and "Kaleidoscope World" were the two songs where I thought the live version particularly improved on the recorded versions, but everything sounded good. Definitely in the top echelon of shows I've seen.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Jealous! That sounds great. My husband and I visited New Zealand a couple of years back and we really wanted to see a show in Dunedin, but nothing even vaguely Flying Nun-related was going on there while we were there, it was kind of a letdown.