Nancy Pelosi For President! (Two Hits Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Re: Nancy Pelosi For President! (Two Hits Reviews)

Post by Hoblit »

New mix of Joblitos Y El Banditos if anyone is at all interested: http://www.breadboxstudios.com/sound/Jo ... woHits.mp3

BerklySS: The structure of the song and production is pretty good. I'm not crazy about the tune overall though. It's one of those things where I can't put my finger on it. Everything is recorded well, there are nice nuances with the clickity clackity guitar muted rhythm. Good backing vocals and keyboard. It's just the content that I'm not really getting into. Good work and thank you for the listenable song. This is a good song and my critique is really on me.

EvilGrin: This has a very 90's feel which grabs me because I went through that time period in my late teens and twenties. Your song suffers from the 'not enough time to get everything right' which is something we're used to here. Meaning that I hear a good singer not hitting every note, every time. But once I'm past that, I'm into the overall sound of the acoustic guitar rhythms with the straight drums. The harmonies are nice if even the cadence of the vocal delivery is awkward at times...but again, due to the confines of time in not allowing us to iron out all the kinks. I wish that your electric lead was a little less fuzzy and a little more full to really punch out. Thank you for a very listenable song.

GeechSorensen: This is my favorite one this week. When it first starts out, I almost want to dismiss it ...but I can keep going and once you get to the chorus, I'm stuck. I think this is really pretty and well executed. I like the nuances added to the guy&guitar scenario. It's almost a bit Alan Parson's Project. But the blend of acoustic and clean guitar work is just a sweet bed for your vocals. I like all of the changes and this definitely gets a vote. Thank you for not only a listenable song and keeping Songfight! healthy with it, but a really good one.

Hoblit & the Bandits: I blew it on the mix. I just ran out of time and submitted it as it was. I listened to it along with the others and now I'm totally EMBARRASSED. I went back and remixed it...and when I did, noticed that one part was missing a bass section completely. I have now fixed this with a new mix if anyone is aa interested. http://www.breadboxstudios.com/sound/Jo ... woHits.mp3 Two hits is a systemic cleanse of the Executive Branch that seems to continue to utilize legal means to perform their Coup d'état. I don't like it anymore than anyone else. This song is about an eventual solution if that is allowed to continue.

MichaSomersmith: I didn't like it at first but boy did it grow on me. I like the collage choruses and your voice and deliver reminds me of Bonnie Prince Billy. This will get my vote. I like the words and the chorus deliveries and where I'm not crazy about the verse delivery at times, I find them charming at others. This is one of the better tunes in my opinion. Thank you for a very listenable song and I'm looking forward to more from you in the future. Gets a vote.

OglawnDarts: This is another really good tune this week. You sound a little bit like MC Frontalot's collaboration work with others here at Songfight! Your vocals are among the best this week and I particular like the lazy chorus with the whoas and specifically the lead's smooth delivery. The keys are nice and everything is mixed perfectly. This is also getting a vote and possibly my second favorite this week as the competition was tight with some of the good songs laid out here. I'm a big fan of gang vocals so all of the 'two hits' and 'whoas' where the lead drops out is a nice touch, allowing the lead more emphasis when it comes back in. The ending reminds me a bit of something Sublime would do and that's not a bad thing either. Good song and it gets a vote.

PacoDelStinko: Always a pleasure to hear you. This may not be one of your strongest but it's still good. I always love your vocal delivery and in this case, I appreciate a lot of the simpleness to the arrangement. The guitar solo is in-your-face in a very unique way and the choruses are very catchy. I may need to catch up on Paco Del Stinko as I know you must have some other songs here that I need to go dig up. Thank you for a very nice song this week and look forward to more.

ThirdCat: Here's another one where it's on me as the content is what doesn't appeal to me. The execution is good and it's a pretty decent production. THere's nothing wrong with it just doesn't speak to me. However, the vocals are nice the drum pattern is pretty catchy as well all of the guitar work worming its way in and out of the song are all good points to it. Thank you for a very listenable piece this week. It's always nice to point friends to this site and songs like this pop up in place of some other kinds that are not as appealing to a wider audience.

UndeadSquirrels: Here's one that I like the context but not as crazy about the delivery. You lose me a little on these choruses because they immediately take me to the song DRIVE by The Cars. (think "I can't go on, thinking nothings wrong") The guitar work is a bit clumsy and the 60's flute is a bit odd to my ears. I don't hate this or anything but it's rare that I'm into the lyrics of a song but a bit put off of the execution of the performance. But none the less, this is still better than some and I find it just listenable enough to give you a thumbs up for your efforts here. :)

VowlSounds: This is really good and I can appreciate the 80s vibe. The vocals are spot on if not a bit sad here and there. But the guitar chord pick throughs with heavy chorus effects takes me back to the land of flipping tapes and this sounds like the way you'd start the second half of a record. So I think this captures the 80s in both music and lyrics. It's very pretty and I appreciate the atmosphere that it generates and allows me to float around in. Thanks for a beautiful song and it too will get a vote. It's the top production this week if anything else. I feel like this would flow seamless between songs on any radio station without any inkling that it was an amateur recording from an obscure website like this.
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

Hoblit wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:04 pm
MichaSomersmith: I didn't like it at first but boy did it grow on me. I like the collage choruses and your voice and deliver reminds me of Bonnie Prince Billy.
I love Bonnie 'Prince' Billy; for a while I listened to both I See a Darkness and Lie Down in the Light pretty obsessively. I would not have thought to compare my voice to his, but I'll take the comparison as a compliment. Thanks!
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

MicahSommer wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:35 pm
Hoblit wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:04 pm
MichaSomersmith: I didn't like it at first but boy did it grow on me. I like the collage choruses and your voice and deliver reminds me of Bonnie Prince Billy.
I love Bonnie 'Prince' Billy; for a while I listened to both I See a Darkness and Lie Down in the Light pretty obsessively. I would not have thought to compare my voice to his, but I'll take the comparison as a compliment. Thanks!
I think it's odd that you'd take the comparison of your voice to Bonnie Prince Billy as a compliment. However, I am a fan of different styles of voices that are not as conventionally 'good'. I like Joy Division, Velvet Underground, Janes Addiction, etc... Those sorts of things are unique when it comes to what is considered 'good' in regards to 'voices.' This is not me saying that your voice is 'bad' , just unique and not necessarily the mass appeal 'standards'. A lot of our voices here on Songfight! are appealing to me for this same reason. Keep it up.

I See a Darkness is a great record and in the weirdest coincidence, I just put that on one of my old MP3 players I'm taking with me on a terrible road trip I have to make today. I mean, your voice put in me in that mood, I just had no idea that anyone else even knew who that artist was, let alone YOU, the person I made the comparison to.

Another one of my favorites is Master & Everyone.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Super short, super quick, almost late, one sentence reviews.

Berkly Social Scene: I like those vibes and the guitars and this grew on me the more I listened.

Evil Grin: (us) - This is one of three ideas we had for the song and Amanda wrote nearly all of this and recorded the acoustic, vox and mando and I added electric, drums and bass.

Geech Sorensen: Didn't much care for the opening guitar but I like the more full sections and I enjoyed the vocal and the chorus quite a bit.

Hoblit & the Bandits: A little dark on the mix and the intro didn't grab me very well, but I liked the energy once it kicked in.

Micah Somersmith: I enjoyed this song but it seemed a little familiar (for some reason) and the singing vox sounded tentative especially for this style but I liked the layered vocal lines.

OG Lawn Darts: On the surface the vocal isn't something that would normally grab me, but I really like them and the melody of the chorus.

Paco Del Stinko: This is the song that swung the most on the edges of the "how much do I like it" radar but I'll say I really like the melody on the chorus and that screeching guitar sound.

Third Cat: You are consistently submitting good songs and I like the music and arrangement of this a lot, but the vocal/melody didn't grab me as much as some of your other songs.

Undead Squirrels: This sounds suitably chaotic in the timing/playing that somehow fits the vocal pretty well and that flute is purty.

VowlSounds: I like the music except for the hi-hat sound in the drums and the lyric is superb.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

BSS wins! Sweet.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Congratz, BSS. Your song seemed better each time I listened.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Congrats BSS!