Robert's Rules of Order Don't Apply (policy Of rape Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Smalltown Mike »

I really like this song, and this is still a strong (though obviously very different) version. I do miss the variety brought by the two voices, though. Great work.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

this has been an excellent fight.
many great songs, not just good songs.
here are some comments:

1: seoup - what's with this band name? see - owp? soup? i don't get it. parts of the vocals seem muddily sung, like "wondering if you're just". but this in general is quite good. i like the funky guitar. v good song.
sws/puce - this is awesome. vox are great, especially in the chorus. good guitars. no problems with this one. interesting lyrics, and thanks for the informational notes.
jute - i dig this. the rhythm of the guitar/vox is working really well for me. i definitely like the contrast with the quiet section.
8lo - great arpeggio thingy. this song is kind of odd, which is cool. great chorus. it's probably good you stopped the arpeggio thingy. but i want it back sometime. man, i like it when that chorus comes in. well good. and well.
j$/fb - yeah, good collab. great stuff at :30, and again at :43. i like the two-voice call and response style here. that's unusual and cool. i like how the parts tell two connected stories. this is awesome.

2: vaginal - not a big fan of the band name. the vocal contrast is interesting. i'm not sure the yelled ones fit in right. sonically. not sure how to fix that, because i like them. nice instrumentation... the bass i especially like.
bjam - didn't get the id3 tags? oh, this is really quiet. i recommend ozone for mastering. think the guitar coming in around :40 drowns out the vox. i guess you recorded them at the same time? i'd like the vox to be higher in the mix in general. good take on the title. vocal rhythm at the "cop a feel" verse i like.
dan - funny to talk about meeting on the dance floor when there's no drums :) then they come in. i like that. good guitar. the "oh yeah" is funny.
ccs - wow, that happy music contrasts with the title something fierce. strange noises at 1:30 might not quite fit. like a saw or something. the choir there is cool. this is generally v good, but it's not one of my favorites. oh, strange ending is cool.

---
j$ demo version - this is cool. nice to hear the demo version. the song is pretty well there, but the submitted version adds the synths and such that really make the song special.

who to vote for...
this is a close one between sws/puce and j$/fb - the fight of the collaborations! i think i'm going to give it to j$/fb because of the back-and-forth lyric style. great job both of you, though!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

blue wrote:
boltoph wrote:www.radioshack.com
i gotta assume this is a very funny joke. if not.. you need help.
You love it. Yes, and yes. Both the assumption, and the "if not" are fully correct, and appropriate.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

i retire.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

j$ wrote:i retire.
retire? you're not old enough. and you don't have enough wins. yet.
Hi!
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Hey I am used to losing, but to that? No dig at Puce or SWS - but I just don't get it. So I guess I don't really have anyhing to offer an audience, if that's what the silent majority want to hear.

I am joking, however, something which most of you will be unhappy to hear, it would appear :)
Last edited by j$ on Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

j$ wrote:Hey I am used to losing, but to that? I have nothing to offer an audience if that's what the majority want to hear.

I am joking, however, something which most of you will be unhappy to hear, it would appear :)
ah cmon johnny, the Linkin Puce tune was pretty well done. Don't let your taste cloud your opinion now.... no sour grapes.

i'd be willing to bet you have a larger audience now than when you started here.
Hi!
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Yeah, I just don't get the Linkin Park sound. It's less than nothing to me. Like I said, not a dig at SWS or Puce (congrats!), just sour grapes :)
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Linkin Park makes well-produced songs. If I don't like these songs, it's not a case of sour grapes, as I'm not in the least bit jealous of the sounds that they put on their records. This also applies to people who sounds like Linkin Park.
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

pimping your song to win songfight is indeed both dumb and uncool.
Hi!
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

I'm not really sure I see a valid comparison between SWS+Puce and Linkin Park. While I was working on the track I thought of it as being closer to Celldweller. Electrometal if you will. Linkin Park is Rap Rock with a screamer. Puce neither rapped anything nor screamed anything, nor did I go all DJ on everybody and yank out some rap beats on the left and scratch on the right.

But anyway, regardless, this is very much proof to me that the review thread has very little bearing on the actual voting. I was just sure that Puce and me where going to loose this, and not just loose but go down in a flaming ball of gloryless fire.
I'm back.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

well, you've sort of disgraced yourself by posting something on a public forum ASKING PEOPLE TO VOTE FOR YOU.

meh. you took a decent song and made me think less of it. congratulations.
Last edited by jack on Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi!
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

Somebody check the policy on rape! (could've so easily been "somebody stop this policy of rape")

FWIW I thought the chord progression and vocal melody were good, in the winning song. Even though I agree...
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove

I've always put my songs on http://www.ctgmusic.com... I figured everybody did something like that after seeing <a href="http://www.songfight.org/songpage.php?k ... e_your_man" target="_blank">This</a>. Didn't realize it was Anti-SF policy - Reviewers Votes Only or something. And didn't Josh Woodward advertise all his SF! tracks on his website for his fans?

Where there 200+ reviews for Gonna Be Your Man?
Last edited by Southwest_Statistic on Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm back.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

you need to learn the difference between policy and protocol.
Hi!
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

My beef is mostly that you said "please go to that link and vote for our song!" instead of "please go to the link, listen to the whole fight, and vote for your favorite track." AFAIK, MCF has always framed it that way.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

Seoup T. Gei will graciously accept 2nd place for the 2nd time (this was his 2nd songfight). I hope that I never win, as Seoup, but instead, turn out no less or better than 2nd place. Ever.
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove

Future Boy wrote:My beef is mostly that you said "please go to that link and vote for our song!" instead of "please go to the link, listen to the whole fight, and vote for your favorite track." AFAIK, MCF has always framed it that way.
I stand corrected.

And hereby forfit the win to:

Seoup T. Gei.

The runner up without a pimping scheme.
Last edited by Southwest_Statistic on Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm back.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

There's absolutely nothing wrong with telling people about your song. You probably shouldn't ask them to vote for it, though. If you wanna explain to them how SongFight! works and say that they should vote for what they think is the best song in that fight, that's also totally cool.

Yeah, maybe a few of them will vote blindly for you anyway, but tell them not to.

[edit: Yeah, what Future Boy said.]
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

Southwest_Statistic wrote:I stand corrected, and hereby forfit the win to Seoup T. Gei. The 2nd runner up without a pimping scheme.
No! I am 2nd. Lapped, as a matter of fact. 2nd place, for the 2nd time, in a total of 2 fights. RARGH!
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Southwest_Statistic wrote:I hereby forfit the win to:

Seoup T. Gei.

The runner up without a pimping scheme.
As far we know ... maybe just not such a successful one? Hehehe.

The conspiracy against me deepens :)