Arché modeling string synthesizer

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Arché modeling string synthesizer

Post by fluffy »

do want

I am a sucker for strings, and spend way more time than necessary trying to tune sample-based stringed instruments to have a modicum of expressiveness. I keep on wishing for a good modeled string synthesizer, and while this one doesn't sound perfectly natural it sure sounds close!

I do wish they had a demo version so I could try it out with my MIDI touch controllers (they of course have their own controller that's demonstrated in the video but it costs like $400 and I don't see much other use for it in my setup) but I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger. $49 for each one as a standalone or $115 for all three together — costs less than what I paid for my cello bow.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Arché modeling string synthesizer

Post by vowlvom »

Sounds interesting, looking forward to checking out the videos when I'm not at work.

I've heard good things about SWAM for modeled strings too: https://audiomodeling.com/solo-strings/ ... gs-bundle/
Arché is more affordable though.

Do any of your MIDI controllers support MPE, fluffy? I keep being tempted by the new MPE controllers as they sound like they'd be really interesting for getting a more expressive sound for strings and wind instruments. The Eigenharp looks particularly interesting because it has a breath controller included. Basically I want to become a virtuoso trumpet player without learning how to play the trumpet.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I don’t have any MPE controllers but I’ve been thinking of getting a Rolli at some point. Which is a thing that Arché specifically supports. It’d also be more useful than the Touché. My main controller these days is the original Komplete Kontrol S88 which is a sorta traditional keyboard but it has a touch strip instead of a mod wheel, and it supports both continuous sustain pedals and an expression pedal (both of which I have hooked up) as well as single-channel aftertouch. I figure between all those things I should be able to get all the expressiveness I want out of Arché.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

Had a listen now, sounds really great to me! Their touch controller looks fun, but I can’t imagine it does anything too differently to the competition. My main MIDI controller at the moment is a digital piano thing so it has a good keyboard but no extra expression. Definitely getting gear-lust for some kind of expressive controller soon...
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Finally found a video of someone actually using it live and holy cow it's great:

vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

That is extremely cool. Actually now wondering whether their Touché controller thing might be exactly what I need! Bloody impressive videos making me want to spend money.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Well, if it "helps," here's a review of the Touché SE I found which is pretty informative:

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Whoa cool, the original has CV also?! They both seem very cool.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

Haha, well that video certainly didn't do anything to put me off. It does like look like a really cool way to add some expressive control without having to totally rethink / reorganise a cluttered studio.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I ended up buying it tonight, and holy heck is it crashy. Also it doesn't have any built-in way of mapping the MIDI controllers and expects you to set up a control surface if you don't have the Touché controller. This isn't an auspicious start. :(
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Oh nice, their tech support got back to me pretty quickly and said the crashing is a known bug and they're going to be releasing a fix for it within the next week.

While I had their attention I asked if there was a way to map MIDI controller changes directly to the bow channel, because that's what I was really hoping for in my workflow. Hopefully they get back to me on that soon.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

Well, I ordered a Touché SE in the end. Seemed like a really well priced way to add a ton of expressivity to my MIDIs.

Didn't notice the requirements section that said "requires Windows 10" though, did I?
And it really does, apparently. Fails to work at all on my Win7 laptop. No problem at all on my work laptop.

Do I send it back or upgrade? Hmmm.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Oh, that’s unfortunate.

FWIW if you do decide to upgrade I highly recommend going with Pro if you can. Home has a lot of frustrating problems.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

Since I'm finally on Win 10 now I've been playing with the Touché SE today (after nearly two years of having it sat in a cupboard) and it's BLOODY BRILLIANT! I guess all I'm doing is tweaking multiple parameters at once but it feels so nice and expressive to play. I wish I had more of the synths that they provide presets for*, but the supplied UVI thing and the Native Instruments ones all work really well.

So anyway I was so enthused that I ordered one of the Arché instruments (the cello) and I got a "payment error" from their site despite my bank saying the payment had been sent, grr! Hopefully something their support will sort out but apparently nothing is going to go smoothly with me and this company 😬

* edit: aha, it's really easy to map new synths so this doesn't really matter!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

yeah I've been less than impressed with their software. I kind of gave up on Arché a while ago, since it's so heckin' unstable and hasn't been updated in years. For good-sounding violin I've switched to Native Instruments Stradivari.

Their hardware is still great though and I'm looking forward to the Osmose I've had on preorder for a couple years now.