Vocal level automation

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Vocal level automation

Post by fluffy »

jast wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:27 pm
But I think there's a huge temptation here to just assume that its decisions are good, and then you're just cargo cult mixing...
[insert rant about LANDR here]
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm finally watching more of that video. Maybe that guy is crazy! He's got a chain that has multiple iterations of EQ, compression, de-esser, AND actually TWO vocal riders. Wha?! And he's sending the vocal to another channel where he's compressing, de-essing, then distortion, then blending in a tiny bit of that. And another send out to a channel where he's dropping the vocal an octave and blending a tiny bit of that. AND he's doing a similar thing for a "whisper" track.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

"Multiple iterations of EQ" seems like someone's doing a bunch of voodoo without thinking about the math or physics of what an EQ actually is. Unless those are separate single-band EQs or he has a *very* specific parametric curve to fit, there is absolutely no reason to chain more than one EQ in a row.

Now I feel like I really should watch this video and I really don't want to.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

I can kind of understand wanting to do that if you're using EQ for multiple different purposes on a single track and want to keep it all separated so you can still make sense of it later. Or if you want to do EQ, then feed it into another plugin, then EQ the result of that...

That said, his idea that doing "a massive boost" in a single EQ would sound worse than doing several small boosts in a row... yeah, I don't buy it.