Monkey Affairs IV MAIN

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Bjam wrote:She gave it to me for free.
When are big chains going to learn, if you fire someone around Xmas and give them any sort of warning, you are going to lose thousands of dollars.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

15-16 puzzle wrote:
When are big chains going to learn, if you fire someone around Xmas and give them any sort of warning, you are going to lose thousands of dollars.
awe c'mon... it's obviously an excellent marketing ploy! Have some faith in our large wealthy department stores and their clever tactics to make you come back to their stores in good faith. It's Santa Clause for Christ SAKES!

/jest
//note the last line irony
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

hmmm... i wanted to use a picture of me... even though it's been altered quite a bit... but do you think my avatar is too big?... (it's direct linked off of myspace... so i don't know how easily i could change the size)
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

administrator wrote:If you want to have an avatar you must link from offsite. We're not hosting any avatars on this system, 'cause I don't want to deal with it.

Please limit Avatars to 80x80 max size. Do everyone a favor! Be kind!
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

tviyh wrote:
administrator wrote:If you want to have an avatar you must link from offsite. We're not hosting any avatars on this system, 'cause I don't want to deal with it.

Please limit Avatars to 80x80 max size. Do everyone a favor! Be kind!
this better?...

don't exactly now what 80x80 looks like... so it's just a guess
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

15-16 puzzle wrote:
You are much to cynical 15-16.
I think it's the store owner having a good (tax deductable) time. What better way to do it than giving a few personally selected customers a freebie, and, as we are proving, this viral marketing technique is working a treat.
Poor June wrote:don't exactly now what 80x80 looks like... so it's just a guess.
I like the avatar PJ, except that 80x80 is a square, not a rectangle... Not that it matters.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

A healthy imagination, coupled with a firm understanding that the owner of a Bath and Body Works is probably not going to be running a cash register (and anecdotal evidence that people with unfulfilling jobs are less likely to care about stop-loss measures) does not add up to cynicism.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

somebody interviewing a kid playing Galaga wrote:EGM: Now imagine you've reached the 10th stage, and you're on your last life. Once you die and you put another quarter in, you don't just continue from there--you start all over.

Parker: Are you serious?

EGM: Yep. When you lose all your lives, you have to start over. You don't keep going.

Parker: And you guys back then were OK with this?
The first time they had kids review classic video games was very funny.

So they did it again: http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.off ... Id=3137498
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Those are damn sarcastic kids. Although I suppose I was just as bad then... Poor children.
Songfighter since back in the day.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Movies in 15 Minutes:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/m15m/

15-16 Puzzle reminded me about this. Freaking hilarious. I read the one for "The Day After Tomorrow" and saved $10.50
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
adjuster
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Jeskola Buzz
Recording Method: OH, GOD, THE PAIN!
Submitting as: The Landfills

NPR story...

Post by adjuster »

This really introduce me to anything I wasn't already familiar with, but the "mainstream media" vibe is amusing.

(Maybe they should try this w/ "The Landfills" songs... heh heh...)

'doze media...
http://www.npr.org/dmg/dmg.php?prgCode= ... rwriting=1

RealAudio
"A person who is born with extraordinary natural talents, or who is extremely lucky, deserves nothing on the basis of these characteristics." - Edwin C. Hettinger
--
The Attitude Adjuster, Arugably the remaining half of "The Landfills"
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Re: NPR story...

Post by Hoblit »

adjuster wrote:This really introduce me to anything I wasn't already familiar with, but the "mainstream media" vibe is amusing.

(Maybe they should try this w/ "The Landfills" songs... heh heh...)

'doze media...

RealAudio
I've heard this before...and it's kinda funny. I don't think they did it on purpose...it happens ..I've caught myself doing it.

Also, The Violent Femmes' American Music and Please Do Not Go are essentially the same chords but at different rhythms. Both are 1,4,5 songs as many other songs are. Alot of country songs are to similar formulas to each other in fact. I don't think anyone is getting ripped off. They are different lyrics for that matter.

Kinda like those remixes a while back where they take two different songs and blend them together...sure, they probably put more time into syncing them...but it's still the same idea really.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

The number of lame melodies you can sing over a three-chord chord-progression is infinite. Also, quit ripping off John Fogerty.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

The first person to sink up that guy's song they play at the end with a Nickelback tune get's a dollar.

The fact that two of Nick's songs share the same chords / bassline doesn't surprise me, seeing as they are strictly a 4 chord band, and I'm sure they write most of their songs in the same key and scale. The thing that surprised me was that the structure of the two songs is identical: the length of every phrase, verse, the bridge, the tempo... even the snare hits during the drum breaks line up. Obviously this is a formula being applied. Which isn't surprising.

But it is worrying: have you ever tried to sit through all of Someday? By the fourth (fifth?) time the chorus played I realized that if kids love this boring song Ritalin must really work.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I would point out that Ray Davies made a career out of writing most of his best tunes twice. And I'm glad he did. Twice the listening pleasure. This does not apply to Nickelback.

j$
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Puce wrote:The thing that surprised me was that the structure of the two songs is identical: the length of every phrase, verse, the bridge, the tempo... even the snare hits during the drum breaks line up. .
That part is contrived... see he changed the tempo so that they would line up to help prove his point. They wouldn't line up if he didn't slow one of them to sync up. It's mentioned in the interview.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

i think the sync-up of nickelback and avril lavigne is the most entertaining.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Tony Asbestos
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: gtr, bs, drms, kbds
Recording Method: microphones and instruments
Submitting as: Squirrel Damage

Post by Tony Asbestos »

You guys aren't into Nickleback?? :wink:
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

Hoblit wrote:
Puce wrote:The thing that surprised me was that the structure of the two songs is identical: the length of every phrase, verse, the bridge, the tempo... even the snare hits during the drum breaks line up. .
That part is contrived... see he changed the tempo so that they would line up to help prove his point. They wouldn't line up if he didn't slow one of them to sync up. It's mentioned in the interview.
Damn, you just made me go to Amazon.com, grab some song samples and tap out the tempos, which are both 84+/-2 BPM. I stand by my claim.
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

The guy in the interview needs a woman bad. I am not a NickelBack fan at all. I think their music is lame. This guy is one of those dudes Silent Bob would crack in the noggin at the end of strikes back. I hear pieces of other songs in every song I listen to. There must be thousands of rap, country or blues songs that after syncing the beats, then over laying them, your ears would say, they sound alike! I actually thought the original Nickelback compare was untampered with and funny. After hearing this dude talk, I want to bitch slap him, bad. hehe.
I'm Fried BIOTCH!
http://www.friedband.com
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

I agree, they come off as elitists...then throwing in his song at the end... with the whole 'this totally sounds better than nickleback' vibe bagage with it.

I'm not a nickleback fan or nothin' but I havn't heard a song that makes me think that they are teh suxorz or anything. I think sometimes music on the radio gets picked on JUST because it's on the radio and is popular to the masses. Not a good enough reason. It's obvious that today's producers are modeling and polishing the content to form fit the masses...and thats no good...but that doesn't make it automatically suck.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Hoblit wrote: I think sometimes music on the radio gets picked on JUST because it's on the radio and is popular to the masses.
I agree. Totally. there is nothing quite like envy to bring out the worst in people. And also there is nothing intrinsincly (sp) wrong with popular music. That is what makes it popular, I guess.

1) BUT Equally annoying is when this perfectly valid point is used as a lame comeback to the envier rather than to defend the person being slated. Like, 'one doesn't care about the band in question, it just riles one to see this comment being played, whether it is valid or not in this circumstance'. (I don't mean you are doing this, Hoblit. I'm just running with the ball here)

2) BIG BUT. Nickelback do suck. They rejoice in the mediocre. Take all the best elements of pop, grunge, punk and metal and beat them into meek submission with a slightly moist flannel. The worst thing is I don't think they are particularly in it for the money - they clearly don't get just how depressingly average they are.