One of these days Alice!!! (Honeymoon in Polynesia Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio
Pronouns: he/him

One of these days Alice!!! (Honeymoon in Polynesia Reviews)

Post by Bolio »

Bang! Zoom! To the moon!
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Re: One of these days Alice!!! (Honeymoon in Polynesia Revi

Post by Hoblit »

Bolio wrote:Bang! Zoom! To the moon!
right in the kisser.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Norton! We're going surfing!

Edit: Sweet cover, j$. But riddle me this... why am I staring at a zombie's crotch? What is that thing? A tie? An open fly? A third eye? Oh my.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Bolio »

"I brive a dus, I dus a brive.... I'm a dus briver!!!!" homina homina homina homina

That line from the episode where Ralph goes on Name That Tune, & loses because he doesn't now the title to 'Swanee River.' & it happens to be the song that Norton (his piano player) would lead into every other song with!! .... guess you had to be there
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

Andre was here at Midnight
- out of tune instruments... out of tune singing... out of time everything.... oooooooouuuuuuuccch... [/E.T. impersonation]
- next to last's weeks rusty iguana tune, gets my vote for "songs that would play endlessly in hell"
= i really like the lyrics, but the execution is so sub-par. tune up, find a beat and i'll bet this would be really good.

Bolio
- a promising musical beginning...
- ... then the off-key singing starts. damn.
- "sake, bukake!" mwhahahahaha! that's really wrong, but damn it's funny
= ok, now i'm getting into this tune; perhaps there's something musically you could do at the opening to let the listener in on the light-hearted tone... or maybe i'm just slow...

Caravan Ray
- knew there'd be some uke in here some place; not a bad groove
- like the vocal harmonies; strike that, love the vocal harmonies
- the chanting breakdown almost loses its rhythm...
= should be on the "Ocean's 11" soundtrack

David Over
- really fun; love the whistling at the end
- perfect length
- the rhythm could be tightened up in places; this is really important, b/c the weight of this song rests almost entirely on the rhythm

Dead Rutherford
- that drum part is great...
- ... but i'm not impressed by the vocals: kind of off-key, yet monotone and the lyrics lack prosody; good call not singing a chorus
- what's that weird whirring in the second verse?
= a different vocal approach/treatment is all this song needs, perhaps a growl or something; otherwise it rocks out something fierce and i love it

Hoblit
- ooh, i was almost smelling instrumental there... an interesting chance you're taking, waiting nearly 2:00 for the lyrics
- great dynamics
= very cool; i don't know what else to say, but i dig it

Rabid Garfunkel
- why are you rapping in a tube?
- pretty fun, but the timbre of your voice doesn't seem to match the rest of the song; oh i see: it's just the white-boy rap thing, which can be fun, but i don't know how well this succeeds at self-mockery
- the music is quite good; you, sir, have some scratching skills

Roymond
- it really pays to listen to this with headphones; i love the stereo mix
- an interesting lyrical take; i don't know if it succeeds as well as the music
- oh, good rock out near 2:00; just what the doctor ordered...
- but then there's this weird irish folk song trying to creep in... blerk.
- strong ending

Seoup T. Gei
- oooh. the gestalt at the beginning just sizzles: vocal harmony, guitar and rhythm; everything comes together just right
- and right around 1:09 it starts rocking out just like i wanted it to...
- ... but you didn't quite know where to go with that crescendo, did you? it just kind of fades instead of resolving.
= but that's really nitpicky; this is awesome; into the .MP3 collection it goes

WreckdoM
- haha!
- really like the ending
- still chuckling after it's over; good fun
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

purely for amusement, here is sos' really really bad honeymoon tune:

http://www.sonofsupercar.org/music/song ... oon-01.mp3
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Bolio »

nyjm wrote: perhaps there's something musically you could do at the opening to let the listener in on the light-hearted tone...
I like to keep people on their toes..

BTW thanks for being such a steady & enthusiasatic reviewer!
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:Norton! We're going surfing!

Edit: Sweet cover, j$. But riddle me this... why am I staring at a zombie's crotch? What is that thing? A tie? An open fly? A third eye? Oh my.
It was of course a belly button.
Last edited by j$ on Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Man, Hoblit rocks the Florida coast!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump

Caravan Ray, this is for you.

...and now I know what he's saying, heh. Thanks... I think.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

nyjm wrote:Hoblit
- ooh, i was almost smelling instrumental there... an interesting chance you're taking, waiting nearly 2:00 for the lyrics
- great dynamics
= very cool; i don't know what else to say, but i dig it
it almost WAS an instrumental. Then I was inspired to write something. Just came to me. Loved it. But now I thought I had to 'finish' the song. So I wrote more...badly. I decided at the last minute to go with the original vision. I combined the one little bit I wrote with some of the stuff that wasn't so bad and got close to what I orginally wanted. Originally it would have only been the words 'honeymoon in polynesia' ... but I liked that verse too much to completly trash it.

So, cool, and thanks for listening AND digging.
roymond wrote:Man, Hoblit rocks the Florida coast!
THANKS! Tampa rawks!!!11!1!!!one!!!oneone!!!!1!!

also: my brain keeps saying "hollymoon in pasadena" and I don't know why.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

blue wrote:purely for amusement, here is sos' really really bad honeymoon tune:

http://www.sonofsupercar.org/music/song ... oon-01.mp3
I kind of like it actually.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:Caravan Ray, this is for you.

...and now I know what he's saying, heh. Thanks... I think.
What the hell is that? A sheep? I don't get it

BTW: I just noticed my song sounds like my avatar. I'd like to thank Caravan Harriet for laying dwn that ukulele track for me.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Andre was here at Midnight
So close, yet so far. This could be great, but I’m finding it just too hard to listen to. I’m having trouble deciding whether you’re a genius – or just out of tune. No vote – but certainly intruiging.

Bolio
Strange. Lyrics should be annoying – but they’re not. For some reason they sort of work. I don’t like the backing music much – sounds a bit fake and midi-y. Simple guitars may have made this song work better.

David Over
Nice sound, but I’m finding the lyrics a bit annoying. I’m all for nonsense lyrics as a rule – but this just isn’t working for me. Whistled outro is good.

Dead Rutherford
Sounds like something I’ve heard before – can’t think what. Overall pretty dull. Don’t like the vocals

Hoblit
Great sound as usual, but something here not really working for me. I love how clicking on a Hoblit link always involves hearing something different – it stands to reason then, that though you always do what you do well – there will occasionally be ones that I’d prefer to let go through to the keeper. This is one of those.

Rabid Garfunkel
This is pretty cool. Scratchy bits are really good. Nice Red Dwarf reference – unfortunately though Fiji is actually part of Melanesia, not Polynesia – therefore your street-cred has gone out the window

Roymond
Nice. A lot of interesting stuff here. I like that strange double vocal bit in the middle. Also like the chorus bits with the handclaps. Enjoyable

Seoup T. Gei
Is this the other half of the lost Vapour Can Ideas track? Very cool. Nice guitar and good build up in the middle bit.

WreckdoM
Wreckom do Run DMC? Wow – you guys are really selling out. Never mind, this is great, I really like it. Great lyrics and great vocal delivery. The final scream is beautiful.

Caravan Ray
This was a rough draft I recorded for what was to be a Vapour Can Ideas entry – though it appears that the Gods of Rock did not smile upon 8LO or myself hence this is as far as it got. In hindsight that may be a good thing – upon re-listen I think there is quite a charming naivety in this version which over-production may have destroyed.

Anyway, this was intended as a little wedding gift for Bill Heuristics and his bride – I hope they like the song, and I also hope that no embarrassment is caused by the implication contained therein, ie. that the proceedings of the aforementioned couples nuptial union involved some sort of ad-hoc, ritualistic performance of a Maori war dance.

I voted for Wreckdom
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

roymond -- wow

edit: hoblit -- wow too

-craig
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump

Caravan Ray wrote:What the hell is that? A sheep? I don't get it
Just another psychotic cat oriented comic strip up here in the states called Get Fuzzy

Polynesia, Melanesia, let's call the whole thing off, heh.

I HAD street cred? Now that's just crazy talk.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Hoblit wrote: THANKS! Tampa rawks!!!11!1!!!one!!!oneone!!!!1!!
Somebody check his Lidocaine.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

roymond wrote:
Hoblit wrote: THANKS! Tampa rawks!!!11!1!!!one!!!oneone!!!!1!!
Somebody check his Lidocaine.
I had to look it up but now my eyebrows are pointed and I'm pointing my finger at you!

Thanks for the listen my man and your song ain't too shabby yerself there mister. I think you may get my vote actually. I've only listened to the fight once though...I'll want to get in a couple more listens fer I decide.
over
A New Player

Myhumble thoughts

Post by over »

Andre was in da house
Great musical sounds, really perfectly discordant (dischordant?). You should listen to Lionshare (local band round here) http://sonomu.net/release/~outsideoftown/ . The anguished lyrics fit the vocal style and playing well.
Not easy to listen to, but I like it lots. Possible vote. :lol:

Boo-Loo-Bolio
Not a huge fan of such sugary sunths myself. Love where you're going with the vox though. Kinda thing I'd like to cover with accoustic stylee instruments. Love the opera bit.

Carrot-pan Ray
Love Ukes, love um love um!!! Like the maori-like low singing. If I didn't like Andre's song so much this would be my current vote contender! :lol:

Moi
Love ukes, so that's one in the intro. Very pleased with this song. All organic sounds and all that jazz.

Dead Rumsfeld
Rock that riff little buddy, rock it! Well recorded, well played, well everything. Maybe this is the vote getter, good fight so far! :lol:

Noblit ("now that's just childish David, type it properly!") Hoblit (sorry, bit drunk)
Wow, well produced, you should do masterclasses for us amatures buddy. Hard to fault this on anything, so I won't. Now it's a three way (oo-er) fight. :lol:

Rabid Simon
Blimey, you know how to construct a song. Great scratching man. I've got a mate who loves this style of music, gonna send him a copy of this. Top marks.

Roy-Castle-mond
Good melody line. This song has lots going on... Second listen: I'm really liking this one, this must have taken a few hours to write and record. Really works, possible vote here. :lol:

serve the tea guy
Great double vocals. Like the guitar line aswell. Builds up well, nice breakdown. Damn this is a great fight. :lol:

Wreckthepeacedom
Yeah!!! Love it, there arn't enough swear words (I believe they're called cuss words in the U.S.of A) on songfight. Great ending. Damn, I might just vote for this because it rocks a great fat one.

As always, my oppinions are only the oppinions of my drunken self and do not reflect the thinkings of a rational man.

david
Seoup Gei
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Re: Myhumble thoughts

Post by Seoup Gei »

over wrote:serve the tea guy
:lol:

I will write reviews, too, soon, but want to listen to all the songs more times. Are "first-listen" reviews preferred?
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Re: Myhumble thoughts

Post by Hoblit »

Seoup Gei wrote:
over wrote:serve the tea guy
:lol:

I will write reviews, too, soon, but want to listen to all the songs more times. Are "first-listen" reviews preferred?
I always listen to the fight at least three times before I start typing up full reviews. Thats just how *I* do it. There are no rules for this. Any input at anytime is very welcome.

Preferred? I can only speak for myself. As I feel it's necessary for myself to hear a song three times before *I* can review it...I guess I'd lean to that being a preference for others. However, like I said already, any input is very welcome at any time.

*YOU* do what *YOU* want :-) No rules just right.
/victim of successful advertising
over wrote:Andre was in da house
Noblit ("now that's just childish David, type it properly!") Hoblit (sorry, bit drunk)
Wow, well produced, you should do masterclasses for us amatures buddy. Hard to fault this on anything, so I won't. Now it's a three way (oo-er) fight. :lol:
david
Ha, I screw around with everybody's names in my reviews...so it serves me right that it would come back to me eventually. NO HARM DONE. Besides, all the guys at work have fun with my name. I get AHBLIT in english accent alot... also, a guy calls me anything that starts with an 'H' and has two syllables:
Hamlet
Hamster
etc...
sometimes he calls me Omlet or Hobble Gobble... another guy calls me Hoby...which is actually my cousin's handle.

ANYWAYS... thanks for the kind review. As for mastering I don't really do alot. My philosophy is "garbage in, garbage out". Believe me, back in the day of my crappy recording set up..>I tried to SAVE things in production..so I learned alot there. Now I've got a pretty decent lack of garbage in so that makes post a lot easier.

although, one lesson in my very brief clinic here:
1. Get rid of any cats you have. They will jump on your gear and change settings on your mixer, meow loudly during your vocal recording, and knock around balls that make jingly noises during your recording, generally jump on you and play while you are trying to knock out a killer guitar solo, and demand attention while you are trying to mix down. (they will chase the mouse curser too)
Last edited by Hoblit on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
vanilla ike
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

best damn near killed em ever

Post by vanilla ike »

wreckdom wrocks again!

i have had the pleasure of participating in a number of wreckdom tracks....and have nothing to do with this one.....for which i am greatly saddened....as this might just be the must wrocking wreckdom submission yet! 100% mackerelish!(whole-y), true joy comes from having witnessed the progression from bluberry hassle to this!

"If everybody knew you were no damn good why'd they wait so fuckin' late?" ......flawless execution of some tricky syncopation........soup herb!
egg sell ant!

one who has followed the astounding rise of the supergroup that is wreckdom will certainly have to admit the astounding amount of talent that hides within the youthful (some might mistakenly say childish......i suggest childlike......in the best sense) entries.........these cats consistently make me smile.....and not just cause i know them......

tell all your friends........listen to their archive...... & wrock out to wreckdom!!!!!!!!!!!
the best quotes are from the same source : anonymous