SongLove (as defined by phil redmon)

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

I like the hxaro thread here, since it's got music in it. It belongs with its friends -- other threads that have music in them.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

i've seen 'hraxo' used so many times... and still the meaning of it... escapes my grasp of knowledge O_o
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

j$ wrote:But to be dismissive about a thread in which a dozen songfighters have taken the time to do cover versions of/songs for other songfighters for no other reason than they like the songfighters in question deserves better than 'whatever Hxaro is supposed to be', in my opinion.
I'm pretty sure our definitions of "dismissive" are different. Thanks for the explanation.

Basically the old "Hxaro" thread was taken over as a place to stick covers done for just the heck of it, eh? That's fine, and now this sort of thing has its own forum, so quit bitching at the admin for being a little stressed and testy.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

jb wrote: Basically the old "Hxaro" thread was taken over as a place to stick covers done for just the heck of it, eh? That's fine, and now this sort of thing has its own forum, so quit bitching at the admin for being a little stressed and testy.
yeah, apologies for that. I was a bit tetchy first thing this morning, myself. Will try to grant people I don't know the benefit of the doubt from now on. :oops:
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Poor June wrote:i've seen 'hraxo' used so many times... and still the meaning of it... escapes my grasp of knowledge O_o
Niveous wrote:an African tribe called the Dobe Ju ... have an interesting principle in their society called Hxaro (pronounced Schwaro). It's the act of building bonds through gift giving and the reciprocation of the act.
:)
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Niveous wrote:an African tribe called the Dobe Ju ... have an interesting principle in their society called Hxaro (pronounced Schwaro). It's the act of building bonds through gift giving and the reciprocation of the act.

Does this tribe use roman characters for writing? If not, why the fuck is it spelled hxaro and not schwaro?
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Conventional Wisdom
A New Player

Post by Conventional Wisdom »

luco brazzi sleeps with the fishes tonight.
Last edited by Conventional Wisdom on Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Aunt Bee wrote:I just found Songfight and found this message board from the main website. I was intrigued by this "Songlove" and found it to be filled with nothing but hate and profanity. Why is this administrator so bitter and rude? And this Jack Shite person doesn't seem to be any better. Who would call themselves Jack Shite anyways? Where's the love here?

Aunt Bee
oh they all love eachother... it's just their way of showing it... :-)... so no need to be a noob that calls everyone rude... unless you want it pointed towards you O_o...

and jack shite is a pretty cool name... atleast i think so...

(this is poor june damnit i need to get it to where it keeps me logged-in)
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Poor June wrote:i've seen 'hraxo' used so many times... and still the meaning of it... escapes my grasp of knowledge O_o
I think it's because so many people just use it to mean anything at all. In the Western world there is precious little that people are expected to do on such a basic level that you really *have* to do it, even though there is no law requiring you to do so. Hxaro seems to be about building bonds between people because you both do something for each other, and you can both remember the nice thing that each one did for the other. I don't think it's about any sort of "pay it forward" karmic pyramid-scheme where you end up doing something nice for someone else, and I don't think it's something where someone does something nice for you, and then you do nothing, because you don't really have to. Reciprocation seems key to Hxaro.

But doing covers for people, whether or not they reciprocate with anything at all, is nice.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

well Caravan Ray, you owe me nothing in return. i just thought you got the very short end on this last coverfight and wanted to at least give you a cover that someone put some effort into.

-js
Hi!
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

jute gyte wrote:i sold an album for the first time ever! that makes me very happy.
i don't know what your running total is up to now, because that was posted a couple of months ago and a couple message boards ago, but chalk two more up, mister gyte.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

awesome. thanks for the order, dude.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

I totally tried to buy "Rybread Celsius" about a month ago. Did I just send it to the wrong email or something? toadchrist at hotmail dot com?
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

user wrote:I totally tried to buy "Rybread Celsius" about a month ago. Did I just send it to the wrong email or something? toadchrist at hotmail dot com?
yeah. i just found that a few days ago. for some reason paypal didn't feel like e-mailing me when you sent the money. i am very sorry, dude. but i'm going to ship your cd and tviyh's cds this weekend. thanks for the order!
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
obscurity
Mean Street
Instruments: Keyboards (88-note and qwerty), guitar, bass & edrums.
Recording Method: Pod X3 Live & Yamaha 01X -> Cubase 5 & Komplete 5
Submitting as: soon as I see a title that inspires me.

Post by obscurity »

"Rybread Celsius", huh? You an IF fan, Jute?
obscurity.

"Only the great masters of style ever succeed in being obscure." - Oscar Wilde.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

dear mister euclides:

i would like to take this moment to publicly apologise for participating in a collaboration last week which claimed you are a jerk. i hope you realise this was merely in jest. i would also like to apologise for my ruination of the following:

http://www.songhole.org/voice/tviyh_shr ... cover).mp3

blame glenn.

[update 12/10/2004: fixed the link (can't do much for the two places it is quoted further down this page, though)]
Last edited by Eric Y. on Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

obscurity wrote:"Rybread Celsius", huh? You an IF fan, Jute?
i sure am.
jute gyte
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GlennCase »

tviyh wrote:dear mister euclides:

i would like to take this moment to publicly apologise for participating in a collaboration last week which claimed you are a jerk. i hope you realise this was merely in jest. i would also like to apologise for my ruination of the following:

http://voice.songhole.org/tviyh_shreds_(miss_cover).mp3

blame glenn.
HAHA!

Voice! You are awesome! Thanks, for covering a wish list request of mine!

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Yook
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Bass, barely.
Recording Method: Crappy.

Post by Yook »

tviyh wrote:dear mister euclides:

http://voice.songhole.org/tviyh_shreds_(miss_cover).mp3

blame glenn.
Hey, thanks for the cover. It captures that desperateness really nicely. :)

-Yook
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

This goes way back to when we had the "theme-song" fight. I promised a theme song to Bortwein for all the graphic stuff he's done for me (and so many other people).

anyway, I finally got off my butt and did one.

here it is:

http://kongbalong.com/mp3/crt/starfinge ... _theme.mp3

kinda hxaro, i guess.

-craig
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

That is so cool! Even on my crap work speakers, turned down quiet, so as not to disturb anyone, it rocks, and makes me shake ma rumph!

j$