It's October, let's talk scary movies

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Curiously, you made my morning by claiming my avatar is creepy. I have no idea why that delights me so. Must self-examine.....
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

hey, dan-o, i think (and chack probably agrees) that if you liked S.P.R. you should also go out of your way to see Band of Brothers. The way you talk about appreciating it, I think you'd really enjoy BoB.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

HeuristicsInc wrote:hey, dan-o, i think (and chack probably agrees) that if you liked S.P.R. you should also go out of your way to see Band of Brothers. The way you talk about appreciating it, I think you'd really enjoy BoB.
-bill
Thanks Bill. I actually did see a few of episodes of it before I canceled HBO. The cable co. tried to force me to go digital, another gripe for another day. Anyway, what I saw was really well done. Didn't Speilberg have something to do with that? I'm hoping to find the series on DVD. Anyone know if it's available?
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

one of my favourite movies is "the nightmare before christmas".

just thought i'd toss that out because it's sort of halloween-related 8)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Generic wrote:Justin: please shrink down that dog.
Nope, I haven't seen that one ...

Evil Dead 2.
Night of the Living Dead.
Shivers.
Halloween.
The last twenty minutes of 'Audition'
Alien.
Event Horizon (much under-rated film. One of very few Horror films set in Space, rather than Sci-fi films with horrific undertones)
The Innocents.
The framing story from 'Asylum'.
Sapphire & Steel (Ok tv series on DVD, rather than film. But it's fucking creepy)
The Wicker Man.
Hellraiser. (though it's dated pretty badly.)

I'll think of some more ...

j$
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:I'm hoping to find the series on DVD. Anyone know if it's available?
Yes, it is, I got it for ... I think $68 from Sams Club. Not bad. Got my dad a copy too.
Oh, the book's really good too.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Any fans of Cube or the two Ginger Snaps movies here? I love all 3. Cube is twisted and Ginger Snaps is such a smart take on a somewhat tired theme.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Niveous wrote:Any fans of Cube or the two Ginger Snaps movies here? I love all 3. Cube is twisted and Ginger Snaps is such a smart take on a somewhat tired theme.
Cube is great. Cube 2 is pretty good too, a bit too predictable character-wise, but saved by an arbitrarily grim ending. Did they ever make Cube 3? 2 was written with a sequel in mind, based on the last few lines of the film.

Ginger Snaps didn't really move me very much, but personally don't think werewolves are a particularly interesting theme. It's either 'the beast within' or a 'parallel with female sexual development' and not much else. Or you basically make it a big scary wolf. I can't think of an intelligent, different take on the werewolf genre. Van Helsing didn't do that for me :)

j$
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I think, of all the movies I've ever seen, the one that most successfully freaked the hell out of me was The Thing.

I've heard good things about Ginger Snaps, and I'll be seeing it this Saturday with the Kenyon Film Society. I think. My parents will be in town. But I'd hate to miss it.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

cube 2 is good because it's the only movie i've ever seen that features a character BEING DECAPITATED BY AN ALTERNATE DIMENSION.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

well, it may not be an alternate dimension, but still i think this clip
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/sportka.wmv is pretty damn funny!
Calfborg
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Calfborg »

jute gyte wrote:cube 2 is good because it's the only movie i've ever seen that features a character BEING DECAPITATED BY AN ALTERNATE DIMENSION.
A great feat in filmmaking.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

The Thing is crazy!!!

So is Prince of Darkness...I really enjoy John Carpenter's older stuff.

The Excorsist freaked me out. I also enjoyed 13 Ghosts somehow, I know most didn't.

But the single freakiest movie I ever saw, The Blair Witch Project. I was lucky enough to see it before anyone really knew, or I could find out, if it was real or not. So for fun, I just went in thinking it was legit. FREAKED me out BIGTIME.

I've never seen it since, maybe I'll rent it this hallowe'en.

OH YAH!!

The Ring. That movie freaked me pretty good too. I want to rent the Japanese version too, RingU I think...

:evil:
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

So I was watching "Who's Line" last night and they had previews for this horror movie. On the ABC Family Channel. But the thing is, it really actually looked scary! So maybe I'll watch. But it's weird that a movie that's going to play on the Family Channel could look scary...

http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/mov ... hollow.php
http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/reviews/hollow.php
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

I saw Return of the Killer Tomatoes last night. I don't know if that counts.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Bob Roberts, which is pretty creepy and then OMGWTFISJACKBLACKDOINGINTHISMOVIEBEINGALLCREEPY
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

Peaks In Valleys wrote: But the single freakiest movie I ever saw, The Blair Witch Project. I was lucky enough to see it before anyone really knew, or I could find out, if it was real or not. So for fun, I just went in thinking it was legit. FREAKED me out BIGTIME.

I've never seen it since, maybe I'll rent it this hallowe'en.

OH YAH!!

The Ring. That movie freaked me pretty good too. I want to rent the Japanese version too, RingU I think...

:evil:
hahaha i laughed my ass off at that movie... it was the worst over-acting i've ever seen... it was one of those things that prove advertising is everything
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Do you mean BWP had bad acting or the Ring had bad acting?

I have to say, I thought BWP was pants. The last image in the cellar was truly scary/creepy but the rest was just a bit irritating. but I din't see it before all the hype hit so it might be me being contentious.

The Ring (remake) I thought was ok, better than it might have been. But the 'horses' sub-plot tried too hard to put a rationale behind the 'horror fairy tale' element of the original and therefore took away much of its creepiness. Also is there a rule in Hollywood that Brian Cox has to chew the scenery in every big budget film that comes out of the States? Also the original is (perhaps inevitably) far superior. And also, also Scary Movie 3's only funny bits where the parody of it.

Sorry language fails me this morning.

j$
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

j$ wrote:Do you mean BWP had bad acting or the Ring had bad acting?

I have to say, I thought BWP was pants. The last image in the cellar was truly scary/creepy but the rest was just a bit irritating. but I din't see it before all the hype hit so it might be me being contentious.

The Ring (remake) I thought was ok, better than it might have been. But the 'horses' sub-plot tried too hard to put a rationale behind the 'horror fairy tale' element of the original and therefore took away much of its creepiness. Also is there a rule in Hollywood that Brian Cox has to chew the scenery in every big budget film that comes out of the States? Also the original is (perhaps inevitably) far superior. And also, also Scary Movie 3's only funny bits where the parody of it.

Sorry language fails me this morning.

j$
oh... talkin' bout bwp... can't even remember the actin' much right now in the ring...
but i'm really not a huge horror movie buff... but i guess it could've just been me (i did like the cellar scene... but that was pretty much it... the rest was them in woods... screaming about stuff that the camera wouldn't show)... it had to be one of the biggest hypes of shit of all time
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Grudge Spoilers

Post by erik »

UMMMMMM SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Ok, I saw The Grudge, and I did not enjoy it. As a straight-up movie, I guess it was okay, but as a scary movie, it just failed. I mean, I wasn't all that scared.

The audience I saw this with in general was laughing more than it was scared. The characters just keep doing things that are insane. Why does everyone keep going upstairs? Why does everyone keep going into the attic? Why do you go to a creepy old house to look for your girlfriend? Why do you, as a detective who knows that the house you are about to enter kills people, why do you enter this house? Why do you not burn down a haunted house, instead letting it kill you? Why do you not immediately start calling 911 when a two-days-missing employee shows up dripping blood?

And there was no explanation beyond the one given to Sarah Michelle Gellar, "Look Buffy, sometimes in Japan, houses go psycho and people start dying. Sorry. Sucks to be you." It makes it like a Jason movie, where people are dying and that's it, you're just fucked. I think The Ring was succesful in America because of the general sense that something could be done to stop the whole thing.

The Grudge seemed like a weird choice for a movie to bring to American audiences and have them be scared by it. Maybe if they cast a little boy who didn't remind me of DJ from Roseanne going to an Insane Clown Posse concert.