The South.

Go ahead, get it off your chest.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

jack shite wrote:
Generic wrote:Well, I'm sure he'll do everything in his powah to terminate de terrorists. Still, one man, let alone Arnold Schwarzeneggar, is not reason enough to change the Constitution to allow foreign-born folks to run for president.

At any rate, if Arnold runs for president and wins, I'll be moving out of the country for real. No, not because I hate Arnold, particularly, but because I'd be scared if the majority of the people around me wanted the Terminator in office. :oops:
well consider that arguably the most popular president in modern history once starred in a movie with a monkee...maybe actors just make good presidents? ahnuld's like reagan. he's the teflon governator.
I recently explained the same thing to someone... it wouldn't be the first sucessful actor to be president...
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Generic wrote:Well, I'm sure he'll do everything in his powah to terminate de terrorists. Still, one man, let alone Arnold Schwarzeneggar, is not reason enough to change the Constitution to allow foreign-born folks to run for president.

At any rate, if Arnold runs for president and wins, I'll be moving out of the country for real. No, not because I hate Arnold, particularly, but because I'd be scared if the majority of the people around me wanted the Terminator in office. :oops:
I dunno how we'd change the constitution to allow foreign-borns to be prez. I mean, the reason for the rule is to ensure that the president has America's interests at heart before any other nation. Ahnold came here pretty late in life. I've no doubt that he's a good capitalist, but whether Austria has any kind of hold on him... who knows.

I'd be more in favor of allowing people who came over with their parents when they were like, 4 or something. Those kids are American. But who's going to decide where the age limit is drawn?
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

i say we change the constitution to abolish the electoral college before we change it to let foreign borns run for president. but thats probably not going to happen either.

the fact that this whole push seems motivated and instigated by "interested parties" (not ahnuld directly but he has hinted he'd be interested, and that's what got the ball rolling...) is what makes it wrong. any such change needs broad bipartisan support.
Hi!
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

jack shite wrote:the fact that this whole push seems motivated and instigated by "interested parties" (not ahnuld directly but he has hinted he'd be interested, and that's what got the ball rolling...) is what makes it wrong. any such change needs broad bipartisan support.
Yes, thats exactly what I said earlier.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

jb wrote:

I dunno how we'd change the constitution to allow foreign-borns to be prez. I mean, the reason for the rule is to ensure that the president has America's interests at heart before any other nation. Ahnold came here pretty late in life. I've no doubt that he's a good capitalist, but whether Austria has any kind of hold on him... who knows.

I'd be more in favor of allowing people who came over with their parents when they were like, 4 or something. Those kids are American. But who's going to decide where the age limit is drawn?
Well I came over here when I was 12... and I'm a female. Heh, I could be the first non-American born female president. Shame I'm not an ethnic minority. Although, at the moment I'm happily just plodding away on my green card application, it would probably help if I was a citizen before running for president. I made this during the election, think I would've won? :P
Last edited by Bjam on Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Songfighter since back in the day.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

The glasses make the sale.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

So what's the rule you have over there?

I assume Arnold is a US citizen (is that right?). Does that mean he has the same rights as every other US citizen - except he can't be Prez because he was born overseas?

Are there any other things a US citizen not born in the USA can't do?

Are you allowed to hold dual citizenship?

Our Head of State wasn't born in Australia, she isn't even an Australian citizen. And to be quite honest, we'd probably prefer that she didn't vist us either - and especially not her drunken layabout children, her inbred knob-end of a husband or her bloody corgis.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

If the corgis hadn't tipped me off I would have thought your country was run by Sharon Osbourne.

No offense to Ozzy, who isn't inbred but may be a knob-end.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Puce wrote:If the corgis hadn't tipped me off I would have thought your country was run by Sharon Osbourne.

Ha!
She's your Head of State too, isn't she (I mean HRH ERII, not Sharon Osbourne)

...although, "All Hail King Ozzy"...I'd doff my cap to that!
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro on a clapped out Mac, or Studio One on PC
Submitting as: Kamakura
Pronouns: he/him/idiot

Post by Kamakura »

Caravan Ray wrote:Our Head of State wasn't born in Australia, she isn't even an Australian citizen. And to be quite honest, we'd probably prefer that she didn't vist us either - and especially not her drunken layabout children, her inbred knob-end of a husband or her bloody corgis.
If you're not very careful it's going to be duelling bricks at dawn. Do not dis Elizabeth...
Though to be entirely truthful the 'Royal' family are not English either. They're German, and the family only changed their name from 'Sax Coburg' to 'Windsor' in 1919 to avoid the angry mob (and because there's rather a nice castle at Windsor).
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Puce wrote:If the corgis hadn't tipped me off I would have thought your country was run by Sharon Osbourne.

Ha!
She's your Head of State too, isn't she (I mean HRH ERII, not Sharon Osbourne)

...although, "All Hail King Ozzy"...I'd doff my cap to that!
Stop whining, you pommie convict - you had the chance to get rid of her only a few years back and you all rushed to say 'we love you, your maj'. :) At least we did get rid of them for a couple of years back after our Civil War. Then they crept back in, the baby-sacrificing lizards from the planet antares!

I am a roundhead (but not a knob-end, i think.)

j$
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

oh man, you brits and aussies are so entertaining when you name call. blimey! :twisted:
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

how do you guys feel about Charles in charge? (pun intended)
Hi!
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

jack shite wrote:how do you guys feel about Charles in charge? (pun intended)
You mean of that one limp wristed, dressed up, high stepping pansey parade regiment they throw him like a bone? (PUN INTENDED) We have street gangs in america that would thrash that fluffed up powdered wussy division

(and I doubt our tv show made it over to either of their countries)

Of course I mean no offense to Homosexual or Bisexual males...I'd never lump that crowd into the same category as *THAT* girly man bragade working behind Charley boy.
*SMILEY*
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote:
Stop whining, you pommie convict....
j$
(Irish convict actually...)

There was a show on the tele a few months ago about the last Plantagenet. Apparently King Edward IV (1461-1483) was really the bastard offspring of a fling between his mum and a French archer - and therefore he should never have really got the job and the crown should have gone to his little brother George. As it turns out, Georges' direct descendant, who in theory now should be King Michael, is a sheep farmer outside of Jerilerie New South Wales. (I got to confess - I'm a big fan of English history, I love all those Henrys and Eddies and Richos and all the hi-jinx they used to get up to)

I was disgusted though during the Rugby World Cup when HRH Prince Harry spent 3 months swanning around getting pissed, smoking bongs and going to Rugby matches and openly supporting England. The third-in-line to the title of King of Australia actually sat with the English team and cheered when that slimy little git Johnny Wilkinson tore the heart out of the noble game of running rugby and trod it in the dirt with his namby-pamby goal-kicking boots.

I really think we should adopt the Danish royal family;
1) they don't play rugby,
2) Princess Mary is from Tasmania and she's a good sort, and
3) we might get free ice-cream
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Caravan Ray wrote:
j$ wrote:
Stop whining, you pommie convict....
j$
(Irish convict actually...)
Same difference! Hahahahaha

My take on the Royals is basically two-fold.

1) they are good for the tourist industry.
2) they perpetuate a myth of class and privilege which is incredibly bad for a country that spends far too long resting on 300-year old laurels (and the laurels were of dubious taste in the first place.) If we are going to advance as an 'elder' state then we need to extricate their influence, on paper.

I don't advocate murder, but maybe an open prison on the Isle of Wight

Also as I understood Harry is 3rd in line to England and only 3rd in line to be protector of the commonwealth. At least he's a bit rock 'n' roll. But I bet he gets Windsor Disease too. has anyone noticed how suddenly William has stopped looking like his mum (vaguely attractive in a dumb way) and started to look really, really like Charles? Not that this really bothers you Americans of course.

j$
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

this is fast turning into the best thread here :lol:
Hi!
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

If France was here, it would surely surrender.

/fark reference
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Kamakura wrote:... the 'Royal' family ... only changed their name from 'Sax Coburg' to 'Windsor' in 1919 to avoid the angry mob.
Didn't Sax Coburg play in a jazz combo with Charlie Parker?
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

ok it was asked several posts ago but it hasn't been answered. so i will re-ask. i too am confused by the not-running-for-president-if-you-were-not-born-in-this-country thing. i vaguely recall from history classes that you must be at least 35 years old, and i know for most elected offices you have to have lived in your current jurisdiction for a specified number of days, and have been a citizen of this country for a specified length of time. is it different for the presidency? can a naturalised citizen not be the president?

trivia: the first six presidents of the united states were not born in this country because it didn't yet exist when they were born. andrew jackson was the first president who'd been born here. if i am remembering correctly. i'm sure someone will let me know if i am wrong.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

To run for president you must be: at least 35 years old, a natural-born citizen, and lived in the US for at least 14 years.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

15-16 puzzle wrote:To run for president you must be: at least 35 years old, a natural-born citizen, and lived in the US for at least 14 years.
so Arnie born in Austria = no Prez Arnie?