Nur Ein VII Round Zero "Breaking The Ice"

There can be only one.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein VII: Round Zero

Post by roymond »

supremeedible wrote: I just felt that "I want to shout ..." is a bit of an obvious way to shoehorn shouting into the song. For all I know it works perfectly with your lyric, but it takes quite a few listens before I start really paying attention to the lyric of a song.
Seeing your lyrics are in the lyric thread one has to assume you know about the lyric thread...
Last edited by roymond on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

my mp3 didn't tag?!? What the hell!!?!? I tagged the hell out of that mp3!! I hope I didn't send the wrong one. Because that would really make me feel cross and ornery. hmmmph.
sorry folks. more care taken next round.
NUR EIN.
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
supremeedible
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, but will attempt anything
Recording Method: Firepod + Audacity FTW
Submitting as: Gooey Caramel Centaur

Post by supremeedible »

Second half of reviews. I've clearly lost a bit of steam, but I'm out the rest of the day and I want to get around to reviewing the current Songfight! as well.

Merisan
Great vocals and great energy.

Oystercatcher
Ok, this is kind of amazing having heard how it was recorded. I am impressed how in tune your shouting is!

Ross Durand
I really like the "CRACK" -- solo bit, and the shouting sounds organic after that. Apart from that I don't come out of this song feeling like there was a chorus or anything to hook on to.

Sausage
This is a solid song. I think the timing of the vocals is a bit lax at times.

The Idiot Kings
This is nice, but it just kind of flies by -- I can't think of anything interesting to pull out and comment on. I'm having a hard time picking where the shouting is meant to be.

WreckdoM
I'm really not into the obnoxious background voice. Maybe that's the point. "Pick me pick me pick me" hasn't got annoying after five listens, and I'm quite surprised by this.

The Worldly Self-Assurance
Love the frenetic feel of this song. Not really any shouting, is there? The "whoa whoa whoa" bit is a bit too wobbly, but I imagine it is meant to be. Don't know what is achieved by switching lead vocalists by the stanza.

And some that I missed on the first time through: ;)

JoAnn Abbott
Your voice does sound very Disney musical. This just sounds a bit meandering, without any music to hammer out the structure.

Rabid Garfunkel
Yes, I'm pointing at you! Let's rock indeed!

Snappy+Floyd
It takes too long for this to start up. The flow is real nice for the first bit of the rap at least. I understand that one has a bit of poetic licence, but `bacterium' and `engine room' will never rhyme. Why is everyone dropping f-bombs for no reason? The false stop just contributes to a general feel of disjointedness in this track.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Not really any shouting, is there?
There is precisely one significant shout in the song at 2:14, Frisbee shouts "NO!"
It is important and of consequence.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

supremeedible wrote: I don't mean a lot, to be honest. Competing against an Australian makes me feel I can be a bit racist.
That's OK. I lived in NZ for 2 years. I understand.
supremeedible wrote: I've done a bit of thinking over the years about the tendency to sing in an American accent no matter where you're from and I don't like it. I don't know if I'm good at letting my not-being-American come through when I'm singing, but I'm glad that you do, because I think it is right.
Yes - I have mentioned that many times here. A conscious decision usually has to be made whether to use a natural voice or bung on Seppo accent to make things rhyme better. It is a sad fact. Rock and roll often does sound better with a fake accent. Ask Mr Jagger.
supremeedible wrote: And thank you for the honour of being your least favourite entry!
Oh - I liked your entry. I just hate Kiwis. ;)

But the weird thing is - I used to find Paul Henry hilarious when I watched him on telly in NZ. Now he is on telly in Aus and he just sounds like a complete dick. Weird, huh.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Generic wrote: I don't see any reason why a song shouldn't progress if the judges all actually agree that it should.
Seems to me that if a challenge is called "non-optional" it shouldn't be optional, either for the participant or for the judges. A non -optional challenge places a constraint on the song that all the contestants have to grapple with. The idea is to write the best song you can with that title and that constraint. To just say," write the best song, and if it's better without the restraint,ok," Seems to me to kind of miss the point. Consider the guest vocalist round, I assume that many contestants consider their guest vocalists when composing, in order to have the most effective overall product ( maybe some don't). If a contestant turned in a song with no guest vocalist and explained that they just thought it would be a better song if they sang it, i would hope that would be a problem, evene if it was a fabulous song.

I hope that eschew other similar challenges would be viewed as equally problematic.

My two bits.

For now.

Nur Ein
Last edited by Ross on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Just to be clear regarding Ross's post above, I did not say those things about the challenges. (his quoting makes it look like I did)
the idiot king
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Keys, Programming, Stuff for Hitting
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: The Idiot Kings
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by the idiot king »

supremeedible wrote:The Idiot Kings
This is nice, but it just kind of flies by -- I can't think of anything interesting to pull out and comment on. I'm having a hard time picking where the shouting is meant to be.
the keyboard is a sample of a crazy woman on the street screaming. i posted a link to the sample if you wanna use it a few pages back.
"You know the change will do you good."
-Gang of Four
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

If I'd had the time I think it would have been fun to do a song where Vanilla Ice is being tortured and find a reason to have him let out blood-curdling screams of "Stop! Collaborate! LISTEN!"
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

frankie big face wrote:Just to be clear regarding Ross's post above, I did not say those things about the challenges. (his quoting makes it look like I did)
Sorry, sloppy edit on my part, I fixed the quoting.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Ross wrote:
frankie big face wrote:Just to be clear regarding Ross's post above, I did not say those things about the challenges. (his quoting makes it look like I did)
Sorry, sloppy edit on my part, I fixed the quoting.
Thanks Ross. I actually agree with you even when it means my elimination. Meeting the challenge is the hardest part for me (most of the time).
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Ross wrote:
Generic wrote: I don't see any reason why a song shouldn't progress if the judges all actually agree that it should.
Seems to me that if a challenge is called "non-optional" it shouldn't be optional, either for the participant or for the judges. A non -optional challenge places a constraint on the song that all the contestants have to grapple with. The idea is to write the best song you can with that title and that constraint. To just say," write the best song, and if it's better without the restraint,ok," Seems to me to kind of miss the point. Consider the guest vocalist round, I assume that many contestants consider their guest vocalists when composing, in order to have the most effective overall product ( maybe some don't). If a contestant turned in a song with no guest vocalist and explained that they just thought it would be a better song if they sang it, i would hope that would be a problem, evene if it was a fabulous song.

I hope that eschew other similar challenges would be viewed as equally problematic.

My two bits.

For now.

Nur Ein
I mostly agree with you, Ross, but I assume the judges will be responsible and consider the challenges when creating their rankings. I don't think there needs to be any built-in penalty or auto-disqualification for failing to meet the challenge, because I think if someone flagrantly shirks the challenge, the judges wouldn't agree that it should progress.

Speaking of judges agreeing... whoa! Is that the first perfect score in Nur Ein history?
Congrats to BGM! Your song really grew on me with repeat listens, and I'm not at all surprised to see you take the round.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
bgm
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitars, vocals, some drums, some keys, various shaky things
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: bgm, 73 Keep It Beautiful, From A Basement

Post by bgm »

Generic wrote: Congrats to BGM!
Wow, I just saw that. Very cool.
Thanks!
I can only go down from here!
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Generic wrote:whoa! Is that the first perfect score in Nur Ein history?
"The Thing Most Easily Forgotten" by Merisan also got a perfect score back in Nur Ein II.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

Woo hoo! i made it to round one!

Congrats, BGM!
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

Ligers with Attitudes won this round by a mile. I couldn't make it through the first 30 seconds of most of these. I refuse to listen to my entry again.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Congrats BGM, a well deserved win!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
EvelBist
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: alienation disgust virtue
Recording Method: Reaper/Roland QuadCapture/AddictiveDrums
Submitting as: New Image, Sausage

Post by EvelBist »

Its great to be a part of this, however long it lasts. I can see why they were talking about NurEin months ago. And hefty congrats to BGM for the win!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

bgm wrote: I can only go down from here!
Shame BLT is not in this. This is where I would reference his wife. Or mother.

Well done BGM
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

Caravan Ray wrote:
bgm wrote: I can only go down from here!
Shame BLT is not in this. This is where I would reference his wife. Or mother.

Well done BGM
*APPLAUSES of AGGREEMENTS*
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Let the fun begin!

NUR EIN!!!!!!
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Oof, those results sting a bit, but I can't say I'm surprised at how we placed. I'm happy to have gotten into the "real" competition now. We came very close to not having anything to submit. Good job everybody and good luck next round!

Also, not to beat a dead horse, but if you want a way to share your entries on Facebook, if you upload them to http://somesongs.org/ and share the link to your song's page there people will be able to play your post in Facebook, which is kinda cool. I just threw together something real quick involving a free mp3 player component.
Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 7.17.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 7.17.17 PM.png (49.17 KiB) Viewed 1764 times
Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 7.17.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 7.17.23 PM.png (36.24 KiB) Viewed 1764 times
You can sign up/in to somesongs using a Twitter or Facebook account if you want, too.