Blab about the Boob Tube.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Re: Lost

Post by jack »

of course the harvard guy gets it. :)

the short version....how can the 0ceanic 6 (or some of them anyways) travel back in time when locke fixed the flashes more than 3 years earlier?
Hi!
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Actually, Jack, I didn't follow your story one bit. I got the pun which, I'm pretty sure, was unintentional.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I noticed it, but couldn't think of a decent way around it.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

I just finished watching it. At this point I'm not really sure what Ben's motivations will be. I don't really see any reason why he would even want to try to go back to 1977. Last season and this season he seemed to have two goals: get back to the island, kill Whidmore's daughter. I'm guessing from his harried and bloodied phone call from a marina before he met people on the plane that he probably accomplished goal number 2, and now he's accomplished goal number 1. He wants to get back to the main island now. Presumably he'll want to find "the Others" and resume leadership of their group. But then what? I'm also a bit confused as to what the goal is for Jack/Kate/Hugo, other than to try to stay alive. They got back to the island, but again, other than staying alive, now what? Were they all meant to live on the island for good? Starting in 1977? Also, personally I'm not really into the Jack-Kate-Sawyer-Juliet love quadrilateral.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Lunkhead wrote:I just finished watching it. At this point I'm not really sure what Ben's motivations will be. I don't really see any reason why he would even want to try to go back to 1977. Last season and this season he seemed to have two goals: get back to the island, kill Whidmore's daughter. I'm guessing from his harried and bloodied phone call from a marina before he met people on the plane that he probably accomplished goal number 2, and now he's accomplished goal number 1. He wants to get back to the main island now. Presumably he'll want to find "the Others" and resume leadership of their group. But then what? I'm also a bit confused as to what the goal is for Jack/Kate/Hugo, other than to try to stay alive. They got back to the island, but again, other than staying alive, now what? Were they all meant to live on the island for good? Starting in 1977? Also, personally I'm not really into the Jack-Kate-Sawyer-Juliet love quadrilateral.
i think you bring up some really good points. namely motivation. what motivated the group that returned to do so? some are obvious, others not.

jack - there's bits in his backstory (or forward story at the time) and oxycontin-phase that suggest he fell into some sort of deep depression/guilt about leaving the others and having to lie about it. he's a do gooder and he pretty much had to go back and try to make things right. he seriously mucked up his life after he got back, thats for sure.

kate - this one is a real mystery. one minute she hates jack for even suggesting it. the next, she's at the airport. her past catching up to her in real life is an obvious concern but not enough to go back. it had something to do with aaron.

hurley - no clue. he seemed to prefer the mental institution.

sayid - no clue. he seemed happy building houses. although ben may have pulled strings and pretended to have him arrested/expedited somewhere, sayid is a serious ass kicker and could have easily handled that woman accompanying him if he'd wanted to.

locke's body - well, he had to go back to come back to life.

sun - the only obvious one. to get back to jin

ben - to ben, the island is like a girlfriend you can't get back and can't get over.

desmond seemed like the only smart one here, having moved on with his life after finding penny. it's just too good and stable to stay that way with this show. i'd forgotten what sam said about ben's vow to kill penny, and i think that's what eventually brings desmond back to the island. either he brings dead penny back to the island to try to bring her back to life, or he goes to the island to kill ben. with whidmore's help this time.

and yeah, the love quad is a bit too much.
Hi!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I don't think anyone really knows abut the island causing people to come back to life, except for John. (Up till the whole "resurrection of John Locke" thing I personally had been assuming that Christian Shepherd was a ghost but now it could be that he's actually alive. His ability to show up in totally random places at critical moments is even less plausible for a corporeal being, though.) I think the idea for bringing John's body back was just to try to recreate Oceanic 815 as much as possible, not to bring John back to life. So I don't know how Desmond could have any idea about trying to resurrect Penny by bringing her to the island. He might return to the island for revenge against Ben, though, possibly with the aid of Charles Widmore, since they would both have cause to want to take Ben down, and because Desmond might be able to find the island due to his mysterious special connection to it.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

i think desmond could get back anytime he wants by going back to faraday's mother, to the secret room with the map. he's just plainly not motivated. yet.
Hi!
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Lost is on tonight! Where are my Lost buddies?

I know....their lost......
Hi!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

From the preview I saw it didn't look like they were going to show it, but I want to know what's going on with John and Ben.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

holy shit. what an ending. now what?
Hi!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Time for the island's magical healing powers to kick in, I guess? Where is this whole Darma 1977 business going, anyway?
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

will present day ben still be around?
Hi!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I think so. The people in the past aren't able to change things in any significant way, as far as the laws of time travel in the "Lost" universe had been explained.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Lunkhead wrote:I think so. The people in the past aren't able to change things in any significant way, as far as the laws of time travel in the "Lost" universe had been explained.
but this really seems to be the first significant thing to test that. how can ben be alive in real time if sayid just shot ben the kid?

of course, we don't really know if ben is dead. we just know sayid shot him and didn't miss him. but this is still, as far as i can remember anyways, the first real "history changing" interaction. there was that past scene where sawyer saw kate and clare in the jungle giving birth, where he know he was time traveling, but chose not to interact. this ending kind of forces the issue of WTF? what happens next?

the funny thing is i was thinking that maybe in the beginning of the next episode, sayid wakes up in his cell and it was all a bad dream as part of his trip. that scene where they dosed him was great. and the guy who plays the creepy interogator, he was in blade runner. the guy with all the puppets.

best line....sawyer..."3 years and no flaming buses and you guys are here one day..."
Hi!
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Naveen Andrews is the best actor on this show. By miles.

So yeah... If their actions in the past have no effect on the present, then how is the group photo with them in Christian's cabin? But if actions in the past do effect the present, then how does Ben Linus ever grow up to be the malicious adult we so love to hate?

Answer: either by a non-fatal shot, or by magical Island healing powers, that gunshot doesn't kill Ben.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

So... Last night's episode, "What Happened, Happened"...

Ugh. Please let next week be better.

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I didn't think it was that bad, although at this point I'm more interested in what's going on in the "current" storylines, rather than in the stuff backfilling in what happened in the past. Sure, it's nice to know where Aaron is, and about Kate going to see Cassidy, but next week's stuff with Ben and John is going to be more interesting to me.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Yeah, I just thought Evangeline Lilly overacted for this whole episode, which very much got in the way of the story. I also thought her flashbacks were mostly filler, with the exception of the last one. Plus, though the Hurley/Miles meta-show explanation of time travel was mildly entertaining, it really only served to explain concepts that I had already figured out for myself two weeks ago.

Overall, I'm unimpressed. That last scene was great, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing how that's resolved.

jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

finally got around to watching this (love on demand) and yeah, i agree, kind of a let down after last week. good to have the aaron thing explained, and the hurley miles discussion was funny, kind of like what we were wondering here. i like the scene with richard where he gives them one last chance to let ben die and they choose not to. i think richard understands the whole time travel/future concept (since he mentioned ben never being the same again if he takes him) but if so, why didn't he recognize kate?

and passive jack, willing to let ben die, is not really passive at all. he seems to be turning into a younger version of locke, with his destiny talk. he's gone from being the central character to being a bit part. wouldn't be surprised to see him offed by the end of season.

next week will be interesting with the locke/ben staredown, what happens to sayid, how do they explain little ben disappearing....
Hi!
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

I can't wait for this week's Locke/Ben encounter. Should be great! I too thought Miles' discussion with Hurley was hilarious! I think it's really ironic how Sayid, Kate, Sawyer and Juliette are actually the reason Ben is who he is in the future. New Jack is weird, but the exchange between him and Kate was cool "I don't like the new Jack..." "You didn't like the old Jack either Kate". Good stuff! I wonder if the whole Aaron thing is completely explained, or if there's more to the story?

Looking forward to the upcoming "Dead is Dead". Yay Lost!
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I think that line of Jack's was my favorite part of the whole last episode.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

37 minutes until new lost!
Hi!