CTRL+ALT+DEL (Start Over Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
DOWNWITHGENDER2
A New Player

Post by DOWNWITHGENDER2 »

Richard WreckdoM wrote:
antonymic wrote:could've sworn all this shit was supposed to go in the prefight thread >.<
I'd be careful about reminding people of what thread they're posting in. Two weeks ago someone refered to me as retarded twice in the same sentence for behaving in exactly the same way. I don't know who that insults most, mentally challenged people, or the person that was attempting to insult me.
I called your avatar retarded... and he was reviewing my song, so it goes in the review thread idiot.

------moderated edit----------
<b>ADMIN SEZ USE PRIVATE MESSAGES FOR YOUR PETTY BULLSHIT. PLEASE.</b>
---------------------------------
Blue says that if I were younger he would sodomize me.
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

Dr. Worm. this song is awesome
best vox i can recall hearing from you.

-craig
astrolamb
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, keys, computer generated bleep blops
Recording Method: Stuff -> Motu M4 -> Reaper ->Your Ears
Submitting as: Astrolamb
Pronouns: he/him

Brief Reviews . . .

Post by astrolamb »

3mc 3mpthree: Yikes. Well - the rapper that comes in around 0:14 has potential, the over-synthed voice needs to go. The backbeat is too much straight generic techno.

Astrolamb: Holy cow - this is amazing! Sheer brilliance! Stop listening now and cast your vote for The Lamb!

C Hack: Nice intro. The lyrics start out good - I really like the first couple lines - and they sound much better than they read. 'She' sounds like some girls I know from Flagstaff, though. I wish you hadn't hummed that bit. Good song - especially so since I enjoyed it more the second time I heard it.

C. Layne: I really like the layered part around 2:20 . . . very cool. The sounds in this are very nice too, a step above much of the electronic music being made out there. My only complaint is the first verse, and I'm not really fit to comment on lyrics or singing so I'll keep quiet about it.

Dr. Worm: This song rocks. This brings me right back to my favorite clubs watching great bands from far-away cities who nobody's ever heard and thinking that these folks deserve more recognition than they get. I thoroughly enjoyed this - no other commentary.

Down With Gender: I can't rightly comment on this song because 99% of synth-based music I don't like. Nothing to do with the song, just what I personally like/don't like to hear. I will say I heard some nice subversive sounds which I did like.

Eggplant Jones: The noises are good.

Garbage Clock: See review for DWG plus add that the "keep it down in there" was real bad.

Hentai Kitty Death: Is it the singer from Madness singing for 1980's vintage Bad Religion? I dunno, but I like this.

Jeremy Martin: Nothing here stands out for me. It's mellow and pleasant, but I found myself waiting for the next track to come along.

Mostly Harmless: You guys rock. Loud guitars, video game noises, piano, kick-ass songwriting, Bungle-esque change-ups, that outro...if you don't get my vote then I'll be amazed.

Pesterpuss: I understand the sentiment here.

Squirrel Damage: See DWG, and Garbage Clock.

Wreckdom: For no good reason at all I kept thinking of Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Marilyn Manson when I listened to this. Didn't New Model Army do this song like 20 years ago?

In summary, I'm voting for Mostly Harmless . . .
- Robert
DOWNWITHGENDER2
A New Player

DOWNWITHGENDER2 wrote: ------moderated edit----------
<b>ADMIN SEZ USE PRIVATE MESSAGES FOR YOUR PETTY BULLSHIT. PLEASE.</b>
---------------------------------
omgwtfbbq i was just telling him i mean whoa
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Some comments.

Post by Future Boy »

3mcee 3mpeethree
bad christian rap with a semi-cool backing track? please tell me this is a joke.

c.layne
I voted for you

doctor worm
a good song that I almost voted for, but on second listen I decided it contained too many grunge cliches

eggplant jones and wreckdom
may or may not be related, both very funny. some of the best wreckdom i've heard

hentai kitty death
good jorb kids!

mostly harmless
also rocking, don't understand the point of the outro.

astrolamb
maybe you don't realize that your crazy flanged-out/whatever guitar doesn't sound anywhere near as cool on the recording as it probably sounds coming out of your amp. is it me or are you recording in mono?

c hack
you live in boston, not the south, get with the program

squirrel damage
i wanted to like this song, but could not

tony hightower
i'm pretty sure this is supposed to be in this fight and not in shower scene. it is a cool song, very good back-up vocals.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Richard WreckdoM
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Richard WreckdoM »

My reviews for this your listening enjoyment.

3mc 3mpthree - That was Awesome. I love the fact that the nails were beautiful. There's something about that "Please" that settles well. I don't think I'll vote for this or listen to it again, but I would like to pass on encouragement. Keep on rockin! for Jesus.

Astrolamb - Dramatic intro feels like hopelessly hitch hiking through the desert. Pretty cool. I like the little dead thing. The vocals don't fit into the mix that well for me. Feels like a square peg that's been hammered into a round hole.

C Layne - The chorusy part of this sort of reminds me of some old Depeche Mode. I don't know what you're going for or who your target audience is, but this doesn't really do anything for me. I can certainly appreciate that this is fairly original.

Down with Gender - Pete and Repeat were on a boat. Down with Gender fell off, who's left. This is uninspired, and I would wager that most of the "music" originated before the song title was announced.

Garbage clock - I really appreciate noise. I wish more bands that play noise would submit, and I really wish more people that appreciated noise would review and vote. This is pretty much bottom of the barrel though. The recording quality is bad. The ideas are interesting, but it sounds like you're using a computer Mic.

Jeremy Martin - Something about this production really didn't work. I don't know what I'm hearing, but I think that people that would like this music would rather have it sound very crisp with some deep reverb.

Squirrel Damage - From the beginning, this is quality. I like the panning. The lower pitch vocals sound better than the clean ones with this song. Thanks for keeping it interesting.

C Hack - I love it, a song dedicated to the Sober Irishman and his stoner girlfriend. If only I liked guy and guitar. The lyrics are great.

Dr. Worm - He's not a real doctor but he is a real worm. This sounds very high quality. The vocal goes flat ever so slightly at times and I can tell you wanted to do more with your range than you're used to. Keep up the good work.

Hentai Kitty Death - The vocal doesn't really mingle with the rest of the mix. This song has some good elements, but nothing about it really jumps out at me.

Mostly Harmless - Where's the ammo. If I hadn't just heard a song on the radio yesterday that included the same pac man noises, they would have been so much cooler. I like the Loungy transition, and another transition. After about 3:00 it really sounds a bit like Bad Religion. This is really enjoyable in this context.

Pesterpuss - The vocals don't begin to match the feel of the guitar. Not much to comment on.

Eggplant Jones - I like the concept here. This is really cool. Thank you.

WreckdoM - In case you didn't know, I make up 33.333333333333333333% of WreckdoM. RAW BEEF!!!!! This song was a lot of fun. I really like lots of it. The vocals in part 3 didn't really come out the way I'd imagined, but it's still awesome.

This was a Great fight. Lots of goodness here. I really did enjoy the WreckdoM song the most though, so my vote goes there.

P.S. Down with Gender is a hermaphrodite and it reproduces anasexually.
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne

Post by c.layne »

target audience = me
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne

Post by c.layne »

shit... while i'm here i may as well do some reviews.

3mc blah blah
no..

astrolamb
refer to somesongs review ;-)

also, you don't have to be a good singer to critique my singing..

c hack
nice pickin', foo! real pretty like. lyrics are quality c hack-stylee, like always. you know what i'm craving though? a real nice guitar solo in there somewhere.. something really chill. YOU KNOW!

me
started at 6pm sunday night. one of those songs that just comes and goes.

dr.worm
fuck yes! great sounding all around. nice and gritty. lo-fi in a totally rocking way. i would never want a song like this polished up. nothing to add, great song.

DWG
well... no confusing who this is. one of your more tolerable tracks.

eggplant jones
bizarre.. where do you people come from!?

garbageclock
weirdos coming out of the woodwork for this fight. pretty cool bassline. there's so many places this song could go, but it stays pretty stagnant. even a nice thick drum pattern could really pick it up.

hentai kitty death
some better production could do wonders for this song. as it stands, this doesn't do much for me. the mixing and style both.

jeremy martin
vocals need to be bumped up a few notches, and could use a bit more reverb. i really like the composition though. something i would like to lay in the dark and listen to. this is definitely something i would listen to outside of songfight.

mostly harmless
wow. a lot of energy, i would really like to see this done live. great singing, too. matches the style quite nicely. those noises are fucking awesome too. nice jazzy change-up. i think you could definitely go places.

pesterpuss
sounds like you need to tune the guitar up a bit. sounds like you have some really old equipment. there's programs you can use to clean up those vocals a bit, and add some reverb. overall this is really muddy, and the song itself doesn't really do much for me.

squirrel damage
very quirky. i dig the gameboy sounding synths. the only the i have to complain about is the vocals. they're very dry. the whole mix is, but the vocals stand out the most. overall, this is a very different, interesting track. high five!

wreckdom
you 3 have become considerably more humorous since you first showed up. i still find it hard to classify it as music most of the time, more like skits or something... but whatever, this is damn funny.

later, dicks.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Mostly Harmless, pretty killer. Antonymic is right, if there were more than two of you dudes this would be killer to see live. ;) Maybe next SFL?
DOWNWITHGENDER2
A New Player

Richard WreckdoM wrote:My reviews for this your listening enjoyment.

Down with Gender - Pete and Repeat were on a boat. Down with Gender fell off, who's left. This is uninspired, and I would wager that most of the "music" originated before the song title was announced.

Actually I made it friday night cause i was bored.

Why on earth would we be hermaprhodites if we are opposed to gender? I'm not understanding how having both genders is better... We reproduce through making robots because robots are better.
Freudian Slip
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Freudian Slip »

DOWNWITHGENDER2 wrote: Why on earth would we be hermaprhodites if we are opposed to gender? I'm not understanding how having both genders is better... We reproduce through making robots because robots are better.
Dunno, mebbe he thought having one of each made you a humanoid-like creature with "opposable cums"...Unsure about the "shit" on reproduction, which seems sorta like the "butt" of a joke. (silly me and all this time I thought the name originated because somebody "couldn't give a fuck"... Hey--maybe you should look up the "Down with Definable Species" folks...):lol:

Prob'ly won't have time for full reviews this week (ain't looking like it) but my top 5 keepers/ contenders are:
Dr. Worm
C.Hack
C. Layne
Jeremy Martin
Mostly Harmless (this one was glee-inspiring, whack-cool "bangorama" you've got goin on there...shave and a haircut, there's my two bits) :wink:
To Do Is To Be. --Socrates
To Be Is To Do. --Plato
DoBeDoBe, DoBeDo --Sinatra
I could 'see' you-- humming away (a few pill bottles on the sideboard)...But it just didn’t measure up to the insanity that is Freudian Slip...
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Dr Worm: This is quite sensational. I like everything about it. I’ve heard that riff before but I can’t think where. Dead Kennedy’s maybe? Anyway, that’s cool – I’ve got no problems with riff cloning intentional or unintentional. Great song

DWG: Where’s the song? We only got the backing track

Eggplant Jones: This is shithouse

Garbage Clock: So is this

Hentai Kitty Death: Wow, this takes me back – don’t know how old you guys are, but you seem to be channelling some of those great Perth and Brisbane bands of the early 80’s – I’m thinking Screaming Tribesmen, Huxton Creepers, maybe even a touch of the Scientists. Pretty good stuff – maybe the guitars are a little bit sloppier than they should be and the lead vox could have a bit more grunt – but otherwise, I liked it – well done.

Jeremy Martin: Hmmm – my first thought was “this is dull”, but as it went on, it really started to grow on me. I was just moving in to a “this is really good” state-of-mind when the tempo changed and I didn’t like it any more. Anyway – ditch the tempo change – without that I think you’ve got a really good song

Mostly Harmless: Very cool. And it gets better and better as it goes on. Good stuff – Dr Worm has a contender

Pesterpuss: This is pretty bad – but it does show a lot of promise, please fight again. Don’t worry that your equipment is crap – let that enhance the music rather than holding it back

Squirrel Damage: I don’t like this at all. I’ve enjoyed other SD songs much more.

Wreckdom: He he. This is pretty good – one the best Wreckdoms I’ve heard. No vote this week, the competition is too good – but much enjoyed and appreciated

6mc6mp6: Keep music evil.

Astrolamb: Found this a bit tedious.

CHack: Good voice, good song, nice pickin’ – not grabbing me though – probably a genre thing

CLayne: Nice work. Nice groove – good song. Very enjoyable.

Summary:
Split match between Mostly Harmless and Dr Worm. Both great songs. Vote will go to Dr Worm – I just think that song works so well. Great stuff also from CLayne and HKD.
Richard WreckdoM
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Richard WreckdoM »

DOWNWITHGENDER2 wrote:
Richard WreckdoM wrote:My reviews for this your listening enjoyment.

Actually I made it friday night cause i was bored.

Why on earth would we be hermaprhodites if we are opposed to gender? I'm not understanding how having both genders is better... We reproduce through making robots because robots are better.
Earthworms have both parts, thus removing all concept of Gender from their species. There is no male or female earthworm. You are associating parts to Gender. Gender is so much more than that. A hermaphrodite is neither a man or a woman and certainly is not both.

Robots are all well and good, but they lack our lord boss. Robots cannot be a vehicle for our deoxyribose nucleic acid's continuation and progression throughout this universe.
[/b]
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Richard WreckdoM wrote:Robots are all well and good, but they lack our lord boss. Robots cannot be a vehicle for our deoxyribose nucleic acid's continuation and progression throughout this universe.[/b][/b]
Also, they have a tendency to get all evil and turn on humans. Geez DWG2, don't you watch the movies?
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
downwithgender
A New Player

Post by downwithgender »

My goal is to have be anally reborn as a robot, and be an emotionless music factory.
sam of down with gender
http://www.downwithgender.com
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

DOWNWITHGENDER wrote:My goal is to have be anally reborn as a robot, and be an emotionless music factory.
Well, you make a lot of emotionless music that sounds like it comes out of your arse - so you must be well on your way towards that goal. Congratulations
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

mcmp3 - the backing music was not terrible.
astrosheep - i am digging the guitar part quite a bit but the drums are a bit boring and the song itself is kinda slow. the first line of lyric is true nearly every day of the week.
chacka kahn - i like the brief pause and re-introduction of the guitar bit after you end each verse with "start over." the guitar sounds nice and the singing isn't bad but it seems like it is sticking out from the music more than it needs to be. i like your interpretation of the title.
clayna kahn - musically it sounds like you're going for the video game idiom here. i read your lyrics but i don't understand what any of them are referring to, so maybe they are video game references as well. i don't know anything about video games. this song sounds nice though.
doctor john|m - i already told you on somesongs, i think this is the best of your songs i've heard. i know you've been getting shit for "ripping off the foo fighters" but whatever, the song kicks pretty much ass.
downwithgender - when this first loaded, winamp told me it was 4:41, which frightened me. umm your boring electronic loopfests have been improving somewhat and becoming more listenable. but still boring. but ummm very creative how the robot voice goes "start over" in the middle and then you do THE SAME CRAP AGAIN for the rest of the song. or somethin like that.
eggplant "spam-mailing-list-guy" jones - X
garbage clock - uh. the only words i heard were "keep it down in there!" ... could barely even tell there were words the rest of the time.
HKD - fantastic. i can totally relate to what you are saying too. totally. the only thing is, it sounds like there are two different drum parts that don't precisely line up. could be my ears are broken though.
jeremy martini - the singing is too quiet when it starts, and umm the song feels like it's crawling along with three broken legs, until those tempo changes which were a bit too erratic.
mostly harmless - GODDAMN. when i heard who was collabing this week i was looking forward to it, but i had absolutely NO IDEA. wow.
pesterpuss - welcome to songfight. hope you stick around awhile, read up on the constructive criticism and the "help and how to" stuff... i wouldn't -- to quote you -- call your lyrics "a steaming heap" or your music "all wrong" but it would really help if they were recorded better.
squirrel damage - the blippy boopy noises were a bit too loud and overbearing compared to the vocals, or the vocals had too much bass or something, so that it sounded kind of like a mush of sounds that weren't toally distinguishible from each other. besides that it was probably okay though. sounds like you've got a nice voice if i could hear it more clearly.
wreCKdom - 1. kinda dull but a bit amusing; 2. not bad as a song snippet i guess, and i liked the dialogue afterwards better; 3. pretty awesome, i'd like to hear you do a whole song like this; 4. mostly pointless but the space noises were really neat.

SO ANYWAY:
doctor worm, hentai kitty death, and mostly harmless had very solid showings and easily made the top three. but to me, MH sort of rises head and shoulders above the rest and snags my vote.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

DOWNWITHGENDER2 wrote:I made it friday night cause i was bored.
please do us a favour and next time go hang out at the mall when you are bored, and make music when you are inspired to do so. kthnxbye.

[edit: oh nuts, this got stuck on a new page, so maybe people won't see my reviews that i poured my heart and soul into writing. go! read!
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

In no particular order:

<b>Pesterpuss:</b> Outta tune singing in much need of reverb. That guitar is way too fuzzy/sloppy. Not pulling any strings here.

<b>Hentai Kitty Death:</b> The drums are too faint behind the guitar and vocals. They're also just boring. At a few points, the guitar rhythm slips away from the drums. This could be a good rock solid, but this just doesn't rock.

<b>c hack:</b> I'm not crazy about the juxtaposition of these lyrics and that sweet, mellow strumming. The lyrics are basically a stream of pot jokes, which really would go better with a more upbeat sorta thing, like your "Rabies". If you're gonna do funny over mellow/pretty, the only way that I can think of to do it right is in the vein of Dan Bern's "Jerusalem". I really like the ending phrase, by the way.

<b>Astrolamb:</b> Your voice ain't quite clicking with the music, here. Sometimes, your voice works great, like in "Motor Psycho", but here it's just out of tune and uncomfortable. Also, the music is too subdued--it acts like it wants to rock, but it's just too tired right now.

<b>3mc3mpthree:</b> Yech. Not good rapping at all.

<b>c.fuckin'.layne:</b> Man, this is cool. That vibraphone is super smooth with these groovtastic drums. Great harmonizing with yourself, too. By the way, a buncha my friends threw this soiree/art expo thing, and the guy whose house it was at wanted to play a bunch of really cool, sophisticated indie music, so I tossed most of your SongFight! songs on the playlist. Everyone there thought it was really cool. Rock on.

<b>Eggplant Jones:</b> Funktastic beats, but not really a legit song. I mean, I enjoy it, but it's not memorable at all. Hollow content, that's all. Good for what it is.

<b>Jeremy Martin:</b> Tad bit too quiet. Also, very good. Is that a dojo or something? Very soothing. And the strings are great. This is sorta like <i>Lion King</i> meets jazz. Aww, I don't like the speed-up. But overall, this is really, really nice. Make it louder next time.

<b>Squirrel Damage:</b> Ooh, the creepier side of Squirrel Damage. This is very strange. All that crazy moogy circus shit is awesome. Particular on the line "Start over again"/"It's time that it ends," the moog climbs upward in this almost uplifting way that totally makes the dark lyrics even cooler and weirder. Good job.

<b>WreckdoM:</b> The first section is pretty funny, and the second one is awesome. I'm not crazy about the third part, partly cuz I can't understand most of the words. The fourth part, with all the burping and farting, is pretty cool and very fucked up.

<b>Mostly Harmless:</b> Good dark rockin', and very nice transition into the loungy stuff, which is cool, especially with the piano. I'm glad you transitioned back to the rock. That weird country-sway ending is unneccessary, but cool nonetheless.

<b>Garbage Clock:</b> Pretty hollow. It would alright for a background song of some sort, if not for all the mumbly talk thrown in to ruin it. That "Keep it down in there" fake yell is especially crappy.

<b>Doctor Worm:</b> Great tune, great rockin'. Your voice is a <i>tiny</i> bit shaky here and there--and it also sounds like c.layne's, which isn't a bad thing--but I'll overlook that since this song is so good anyway.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

I forgot to mention:

My vote will go to either <b>c.layne</b> or <b>Doctor Worm</b>.

Other people who I would've voted for if not for those two guys, in order: <b>Squirrel Damage</b>, <b>Jeremy Martin</b>, <b>Mostly Harmless</b>.
DOWNWITHGENDER2
A New Player

Richard WreckdoM wrote: Robots are all well and good, but they lack our lord boss. Robots cannot be a vehicle for our deoxyribose nucleic acid's continuation and progression throughout this universe.[/b][/b]
you are an idiot, and an uninformed idiot at that...