Or Justin Timberlake's attempts to be hip (Eggplant reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Re: One-liner Reviews:

Post by jack »

tonetripper wrote:
MCs Denyer & Crapalot - Bad American rap done by some Kiwis. :wink:
i got a good chuckle off that.
Hi!
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

user wrote:<b>MCs Denyer & Crapalot:</b> Man. This sucks. What are you, thirteen? (No response required--I'm aware that at least one of you <i>is</i> thirteen, give or take two years. The rhetorical question was meant to imply that if any music is such that the average listener can tell that it was made by a more or less thirteen-year-old, then it sucks.)
Well ok but neither of us are a more or less thirteen-year-old.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

well mc crapalot said elsewhere on this board that he's 19, and sometimes you act like you're about 7, so it basically evens out :)
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Re: One-liner Reviews:

Post by tonetripper »

jack shite wrote:
tonetripper wrote:
MCs Denyer & Crapalot - Bad American rap done by some Kiwis. :wink:
i got a good chuckle off that.
I thought you would?!! :D
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Only 1 hour to go before we hit a complete 24 hours without a single review for this fight! Come on people, we can do it! Woohoo!!!
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

did we win?
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

No time to review, favorites were:

Dave Stiles
Dreamy Mo and the Commoners
Future Boy
sonofsupercar

and lastly, my vote goes to:

STARFINGER.

Fucking amazing song.

Overall quite a good fight. Madi's would've been up there if it hadn't felt so damn repetitive. The whole schtick got old real fast. Grovy Coleslaw had nice, but forgettable 1 and a half minute little ditty. And MC Denyer and Crapalot are Crapcore, as they like to call it, at their finest.
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne
Pronouns: he/him

Post by c.layne »

sorry to end the silence marathon.

dave stiles
i was sneezing through about half of this song! fucking allergies. i don't know if you've ever heard 'mendoza line' but this reminds me of something of theirs, which is totally cool. distorted guitar, but still a really dreamy feeling to the whole song. bright, happy niceness. this is the first song of yours i've heard, keep it up!!

dreamy mo + commoners = yes
i don't like him either.
bouncy dissonance. the instrumental ramblings all seem to flow in and out of each other nicely. this is very quirky, i dig.

futureboy
honestly, this immediately reminded me of carol cleveland sings. eccentric, and awesome. extremely silly lyrics, but clever. that's all the review you get, because mine was short. ^_~

grovy coldslaw
this mix is very dry. needs some reverb to give it some space and life. sounds like it was recorded inside a... pillowcase or something. as for the tune, it's fun, and the vocal melody is catchy.

madi
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! after i finish this, i'm going to have to read the other reviews of this. i really don't think i've ever heard anything like this in my life. sounds like it should be on the harry potter soundtrack. very interesting.

denyer+crap
funny, but predictable. big gay fag.

sonofthamuthafukinsupakah
i think the vocals could stand to be turned down in the mix, otherwise it souds perfect to me. this is one of the greatest songs i've heard out of you guys! takes me back to the days of slint... somehow.. ? whatev. anyway, really cool track.

starf
i'll be honest, i was pretty sure i was going to end up voting for this as soon as i heard you were entering and read the lyrics. not dissappointed in the least! the mix sounds a bit muddier than usual for your songs... maybe it's just the vocals? they seem a bit quiet. that bassline is killer! it makes me sad that you don't get paid for this.

well, that's all for you guys! kthxbye
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

First off, let me just say that I think everyone did very well this week. For me, however, it wound up being a very a very close race between Futureboy and Madi.

A couple people have said that Madi's track was not a song -- that's just craziness. Of course it's a song! And a darn fantastic one, at that! Certainly better than anything I'll ever do, sheesh.

But Futureboy wound up getting my vote. (I heard "leeches" as well, btw -- but this probably worked in the track's favor, for me anyway.) It just doesn't get any more infectious and clever than this, folks.
-- reve mosquito.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

2 big reasons I’m reviewing this fight: I’m a parent whose kids have yet to show any real sustained interest in making music. I’m just real happy for Jim and Madi, so I may have to judge the rest of you on a curve to keep it fair. Secondly, and this is no joke, I get home from work last night and my wife is making dinner. I pick up this vegetable she’s getting ready to cut up and ask, “What’s this”. She tells me, “It’s an eggplant”. Of course I start laughing and have to explain why and she insists that I must at least review this fight. So here goes in alphabetical order and scored on the Vegas handicapping football system with Madi as a 3 point favorite.

Dave Stiles: I don’t like 3 chord songs. I don’t like overly processed instruments and mixes. I don’t like drum beats that don’t really fit the song. I don’t like long endings to songs. I do like your vocals and songwriting style. And I almost like this song a lot, but it’s mostly just an average like. You gave Madi a run for the money but ended up a 2 point loss.

Dreamy Mo: I like the drums and percussion. I like the electric piano. I like the vocals and backing vocals. I like the fact you’re using real instruments. I like the song structure and style. I don’t like the guitar sound or playing all that much. I don’t like the fact that this is the second song I’ve listened to where the lyrics are basically likes and dislikes. Pretty good song but I think you’re looking at a 1 point loss, especially since you don’t like hummers. How could a guy not like hummers?

Future Boy: I like the song structure and style. I really like the orchestral style and choir part. I like the lyrics for the most part. I like the Looney Tunes feel to the whole song. I don’t like the fact that this is the third song I’ve listened to where the lyrics are basically likes and dislikes. (I’m seeing a trend here) I don’t like the fact it ends too soon, although it adds to the Looney Tunes feel. I think you’re right in there until the abrupt end, but can’t close the game with a 2 point loss.

Grovy Coldslaw: I love the fact that this isn’t another like and dislike song. I like the panning of the instruments. I like the fact that it sounds like a real band in it’s infancy. I like the guitar tone on this, no small feat I might add. I like that you’re all going to get better at this. I don’t like that the song ends right when I’m starting to get into it. I don’t like the guitar tone during the solo, which fits the sucky solo anyway. Pretty good entry but still a 3 point loss.

Madi: I absolutely love the background vocals and your voice overall. I like the theme of the song because I can totally relate to the struggle. I like the negotiating going on even though father says he won’t negotiate. I love the wait in the middle with the microwave and the excitement in your voice when dad says let’s through it out, very genuine. I like the way it retards there and at the end of the song, nice tempo changes. I don’t like the struggling of your reading the lines at the very beginning. I don’t’ like the sound of dad’s voice which sounds almost sped up, sorry if it’s not. I don’t like the fact I made you a 3 point favorite for this fight, I really thought this was going to win me over more. But hang in there you’re still leading by a point.

MC Denyer + Crapalot: I don’t like the style. I don’t like you’re inability to rap. I don’t like the word “poo”. If you mean shit, say it. I don’t like the other guy’s inability to rap. I don’t like how uninventive this is. I don’t like that there isn’t a website like “Rap Fight” or “No Lyrics Required” where you and DMG could fight all day long and I wouldn’t have to review this stuff. I like the fact that you have an interest in music. I like to crap a lot. You got killed this week, a 69 point loss.

Sonofsupercar: I love the drummer, I like the guitar player, I like the singer, and the bass player isn’t hurting you. I like the mix for the most part. I like this style of song. I like the passion that the playing conveys. I love the fact that this is a story and not another “I like I don’t like” song. I don’t like the snare sound on the quieter parts, but on the harder parts it rocks. I don’t like that the only thing I didn’t like was the snare sound from a drummer that I said I loved. This song just upset the favorite. Sorry Madi, you may be looking at a 1 point loss unless you get a Coach’s Challenge or something.

Starfinger: I don’t like the style. I don’t like you’re inability to rap. I don’t like the fact that you’re going for the Humpty vocal style. I do like the overall mix though. As I said before, I don’t like that there isn’t a website like “Rap Fight” or “No Lyrics Required” where you and DMG could fight all day long and I wouldn’t have to review this stuff. I like the fact that you have an interest in music. You didn’t get killed quite as bad as your fellow “Rappers”, but you did get your ass kicked. Only a 55 point loss. And by the way, you both ruined my card.

So in the end I think I have to go with Sonofsupercar, but we still have time or further review before we declare the upset. On a side note, I don’t hate rap. In fact, I dislike it a lot less than I did when Rapper’s Delight came out and have enjoyed to some extent watching it progress as a style. I still don’t like that style all that much, and I don’t find it to be for me overall. But in the end, it deserves to be recognized for being it’s own style, and therefore deserves reviews whether you like it or not. Until they come up with their own site for these fights, we should all probably try to give them the benefit of the doubt and a review that matches that mindset. And I should try to stop being so verbose and pompous.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

i can't fathom the logic that says "raps" don't belong on songfight.

thanks for the scathing review. it has returned me to earth.

-craig
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:Dreamy Mo: I don’t like the guitar sound or playing all that much. Pretty good song but I think you’re looking at a 1 point loss, especially since you don’t like hummers. How could a guy not like hummers?
I'm not sure what happened...but my guitar playing does sound off to my ears as well. I don't think that it's the hummers we don't like..it's the PAYING part when it comes right down to it.

THANKS for the review .... we do appreciate it

I'll do reviews later tonight
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

starfinger wrote: thanks for the scathing review. it has returned me to earth.

-craig
I voted for Starfinger this week. not only the best song, imo, but also one of his very best. I liked it more than 'more than'.

So back up you go, Mr Starf'.
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, ukulele and drums
Recording Method: Reaper, Guitar Rig LE, Edirol FA-66
Submitting as: Andy Balham, Bobby Davros, The Masters of Grip, MC Heapey

Post by Andy Balham »

And now the votes from the Balham jury as I listen to them:

Dave Stiles
I like the overall sound, but you've encoded at 160kbps so a minus point for that. The instrumental could have gone on for a bit longer as the rest of the song a little monotonous. It's a little long for my taste too, only so much eggplant I can stomach.

Dreamy Mo and the Commoners
Uh oh 192kbps. Minus points already. The music has a fun feel to it, though it seems to fight itself a little. Nice novelty stuff.

Future Boy
More 192kbps encoding, did I miss a meeting? Strangely enough, another fun novelty song. This time it's refreshingly short and all the better for it.

Grovy Coldslaw
I would have made the guitar more central, but apart from that I find myself bobbing my head with your rant against the evil plant of eggs. Some nice axework there too. Possible vote.

Madi, Singer/Songwriter, Age 8
Interesting, creative and has a nice feel to it. Lack of songness goes against it.

MC Denyer + Crapalot
Hmm. The beats aren't that interesting and the lyrics aren't that amusing.

sonofsupercar
I like the guitar at the start and the changes between the quiet verse and loud chorus. A familiar, but effective, ruse. I ain't feeling too much eggplant, but I'm getting quite a bit of rock - which is good. In the reckoning for a vote.

Starfinger
Nice beats and good delivery. The lyrics are genuinely fun and the backing builds well. The most convincing case against eggplant so far.

In conclusion:
3. sonofsupercar
2. Grovy Coldslaw
1. Starfinger
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

starfinger wrote:i can't fathom the logic that says "raps" don't belong on songfight.

-craig
Sorry Craig, I didn't mean to be so scathing. I could opted for the lame review and said "It's not my style" and been done with it. At the same time I didn't give you a very thorough review, so I'll try again. The mix is pretty good as I said before. The lyrics are interesting enough although the topic doesn't fit what I think of as it relates to rap in general. What I mean by that is, this topic would give you zero street cred and quickly throw you into the Vanilla Ice category with established Rap artists. You do rap significantly better than the other song in this fight, but I'm still not buying it as being authentic. Maybe it is the topic doing that, maybe it's the lack of real hatred and profanity, I'm not really sure.

By the way, I never said rap didn't belong on songfight, only that it's difficult for most people to give it a fair review. I just think people either love or hate rap in general, and most musicians are probably going to be in the hate category because of the lack of real musicianship going on. I've dedicated over 20 years of my life to learning how to play an instrument, and I still think I'm average at best. Rappers by contrast create computer generated music (not exclusively, but in general) without the aid of musicians or the years of study it takes to learn an instrument. A true musician therefore will resent to some extent something like that being called music, and dismiss it as such. Anyway, that's what I think, I could be wrong.
JB
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:
starfinger wrote:i can't fathom the logic that says "raps" don't belong on songfight.

-craig
Sorry Craig, I didn't mean to be so scathing. I could opted for the lame review and said "It's not my style" and been done with it. At the same time I didn't give you a very thorough review, so I'll try again. The mix is pretty good as I said before. The lyrics are interesting enough although the topic doesn't fit what I think of as it relates to rap in general. What I mean by that is, this topic would give you zero street cred and quickly throw you into the Vanilla Ice category with established Rap artists. You do rap significantly better than the other song in this fight, but I'm still not buying it as being authentic. Maybe it is the topic doing that, maybe it's the lack of real hatred and profanity, I'm not really sure.

By the way, I never said rap didn't belong on songfight, only that it's difficult for most people to give it a fair review. I just think people either love or hate rap in general, and most musicians are probably going to be in the hate category because of the lack of real musicianship going on. I've dedicated over 20 years of my life to learning how to play an instrument, and I still think I'm average at best. Rappers by contrast create computer generated music (not exclusively, but in general) without the aid of musicians or the years of study it takes to learn an instrument. A true musician therefore will resent to some extent something like that being called music, and dismiss it as such. Anyway, that's what I think, I could be wrong.
I really think that you're letting your opinion of rap color your perception of other people's opinion of rap. There's a fair amount of anger and profanity in rap but mostly in the stuff that's been made in between the rise of NWA the rise of Puffy. Most early rap is both non-angry and non-profane. Most rap today is non-angry, but still contains a healthy smattering of profane language. But you don't have to do either to be considered rap, or to find success. I'm not going to rattle of a list of artists who defy convention, but I mean, just this summer the Beastie Boys put out an album that got a lot of play on the radio. (Some people hated the new album, and some liked it, but it's most decidedly rap, non-angry and non-obscene.)

Not to be preachy, but when you imply that true musicians will resent rap being called music and dismiss it as not being music, it makes you sound old. The same argument gets pulled out every time a new exciting young genre of music is born. People said the same thing about jazz, people said the same thing about rock n roll, people said the same thing about punk, and about rap, and on and on. And in each case, as the genre lives on, breathes and grows, eventually an artist or group of artists will emerge that are undeniably musicians, whose skill is obvious, but still the myth persists that their genre of choice is for the untalented.

Samplers and drum machines and synths and Pro Tools may not be traditional instruments (okay, duh, synths are) but to be able to make quality rap music using them does not happen without time spent training. And the ability of a good rap producer to come up with a hook or a beat that, in the span of 3-5 seconds, make the song at once both recognizable and memorable is a skill that some people will never master, no matter how much they train. I consider myself a true musician. I think rap is music, and I like it.
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

hey Dan-O,

I appreciate your clarification. And I just wanted to make sure that you didn't think I was being overly defensive of my song. Clearly you have the right to your opinion, and I'm all for it being presented in any way you see fit. And you'd be surprised to see what kind of street cred you can get with a nice food rap in my hood.

But when you started talking about 'Rap Fight' it started to sound like you didn't think this kind of music belonged here. Songfight loves rap.

-craig
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

Starfinger, !5-16 Puzzle, thanks for the input. Maybe I am getting old and need input like yours to remind me that I first became a musician as a means to express myself. I don't mean to make blanket condemnations, and I a really shouldn't speak for other musicians. However, I wish you both would have read some of the other things I wrote like:

"On a side note, I don’t hate rap."
" But in the end, it deserves to be recognized for being it’s own style, and therefore deserves reviews whether you like it or not."
"Rappers by contrast create computer generated music (not exclusively, but in general)" E.G. Beastie Boys, yes I meant them as an example.
And most importantly "Anyway, that's what I think, I could be wrong."

And I probably still am, but if you really want to legitamize your opinons, write some reviews of your own instead of picking mine apart.
JB
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Oh, I'll leave some opinions of the songs in just a bit, as an act of contrition.

I read the entirety of everything you wrote. You can say you don't hate rap, but it really sounds like you don't like it at all. You said that from Rapper's Delight to the present day you've disliked it, to different degrees. Which is fine, I'm just trying to tell you what it sounds like, across the internet.

I brought up the Beastie boys to contrast the notion that rap is filled with hatred and profanity. It's not. It can be, but it can also not be. The Beastie album that just came out sounds (from the songs that I've heard) to be very much a sample record rather than a made with instruments album, and many people (not to discredit their stuff in the 90's) consider their stuff without live instruments to be their best work, particularly Paul's Boutique which is just a metric fuckton of sampleage.

I'll go get some coffee and write some reviews.
Denyer
Ice Cream Man

Post by Denyer »

If someone spends twenty minutes making a mediocre sandwich, and then someone else invents a machine that can make a great sandwich for you in a few seconds, they original sandwich maker would naturaly thing his sandwich is superior.
Dan-O from Five-O wrote:"Rappers by contrast create computer generated music (not exclusively, but in general)" E.G. Beastie Boys
heh
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

Denyer wrote:If someone spends twenty minutes making a mediocre sandwich, and then someone else invents a machine that can make a great sandwich for you in a few seconds, they original sandwich maker would naturaly thing his sandwich is superior.heh
Instead of wasting bandwidth on this pointless bickering, I'll for wait for you to write some reviews as well.
JB
Denyer
Ice Cream Man

Post by Denyer »

My reviews would waste more space and bandwidth than that.