Songfight Live ROCK and ROCKER/July 17-18th, 2009 Spokane,WA

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Re: EDIT: Songfight Live 2008 in Tampa? Spokane for 2009?

Post by Hoblit »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:As a relative newcomer here, the Santa Cruz show was the first organized while I was paying attention, but I wouldn't have dared think about playing after only a couple of songs submitted. I'd love to play at a live event, and I mean play, not torture anyone with my vocals, but don't really feel as if I am part of the club. I understand and respect the bond between old timers and would love to see them play, but I wouldn't want to travel to X and have the senior class members all decide to go out for pizza when my turn came up, even if/though I suck. If anything, Dre, perhaps there's too much inbreeding.
Hoblit wrote:IF the most of the artists are of solid quality
I'm not attacking you, Hoblit, but what does this mean? Who would determine that?
Nah, its cool... old timers don't necessarily all get up and hang out while other songfighters are on stage. It happens, some people miss other people's sets...sometimes because of arrival times, sometimes because somebody has to eat...but there is no collective club that up and leaves while others are playing. Generally speaking, the events are attended by all who made the trip.

What I mean the artists of solid quality... experienced, generally good performers. Entertaining. Yes, its subjective I know. I'd prefer renting and setting up the show ourselves. The Lancaster show, the Boston Shows, as well as the Santa Cruz shows were great for this reason. (Austin & Atlant were pretty good too I might add, although very hot!) The Seattle show was fun. But I can't pull that off and then hope to ever schedule a show at these venues down here again if the show doesn't generate some money at the bars, and more importantly, not chase away current patrons at said bar. Just note that this scenario ONLY APPLIES to a commercial venue. There are places we can rent (and if I'm not mistaken, still welcome walk-in traffic.) where we wouldn't have to worry about a semi-par performance deflating our chances of holding over for another smash weekend. (if you get my drift)
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

Niveous wrote:But it's not really balanced as there's been no north. Plus the pattern seems more coincidental than planned.
uh, boston?
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

i just want to agree with what ken said. SF live does bring people closer together and makes new timers old timers, and i have to say that i've never been part of a more welcoming, diverse group of people than the ones that come to the live event. the santa cruz show was successful (i think) on many levels, and certainly required alot of work and planning (and no shortage of volunteers willing to step up). so even though i organized it, there's no way it could have been pulled off without ken, spud, blue, booty, king arthur, sam, and many others who rallied and came together to make something really special happen.

it would be a shame if that was lost.
Hi!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:As a relative newcomer here, the Santa Cruz show was the first organized while I was paying attention, but I wouldn't have dared think about playing after only a couple of songs submitted. I'd love to play at a live event, and I mean play, not torture anyone with my vocals, but don't really feel as if I am part of the club. I understand and respect the bond between old timers and would love to see them play, but I wouldn't want to travel to X and have the senior class members all decide to go out for pizza when my turn came up, even if/though I suck. If anything, Dre, perhaps there's too much inbreeding.
When I went to Santa Cruz in '06, I guess I was a 'relative newcomer' (I started at SF! around mid '04), and I can assure you - clique factor was virtually zero. It seemed more like there were a lot of people who had met some of the others before, but very few who knew everybody. Personally - I felt like I had known everyone for years the second that I met them. It was quite weird like that.

And nobody was wandering out of people's sets to get drinks at the bar across the road. I know this for a fact, because I took it upon myself to regularly patrol the bar across the road, just in case it was happening. I think I caught bzl over there a few times - but I sent him back quick smart.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Hey thanks, guys. I didn't mean to come off as 'woe is me, nobody likes me' or anything, and dare I say it's almost rather touching when you speak of bonds made at these events. No doubt it's a lot of work and effort, and no doubt that contributes to the bonding experience as well. Also, I hear what you're saying, Hoblit. Thanks for explaining.

I know one thing, Ray. If we attend an event together, and you don't let me sit in on your band, I will be dead center in the front of the audience. And I will cheer the loudest. :)

Very encouraging people, I hope that this will all help the live event pick up some momemtum and take off. Now: who wants to jam?
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:
I know one thing, Ray. If we attend an event together, and you don't let me sit in on your band, I will be dead center in the front of the audience. And I will cheer the loudest. :)
caravan ray! oi! oi! oi!
Hi!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

jack wrote:caravan ray! oi! oi! oi!
Too f'ing classic! Get yer ass up here, Ray!
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GlennCase »

Okay, as long as there aren't a lot of strong objections I am insisting on holding Songfight Live 2009 in Spokane.

I'm also calling out the former members of Duboce Triangle and sonofsupercar. You have over a year's notice that this will be happening, and I am hereby requesting that you attend this event and perform reunion sets.

ROCK!

Glenn Case
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Ok, groovy...so everybody listen up.

Spokane 2009

That means 2008 is not yet called. If you want to host 2008's Songfight LIVE official annual event, now is the time to do it.

Putting forth my offer to hold this in Tampa.

So far, Tampa is the only official offer in the hat. If you don't want it down here, then some other folks can easily step in and offer their home city for hosting. I'll be glad for ANYONE that wants to host this to do so. Get in here, say something, make offers... state opinions... lets get this thing going! Show some interest... remind other folks in other threads. Who wants this where? OFFER, state your preference. All of it!
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

I think my preference is known at this point, but I definitely say Tampa for 2008. Hoblit seems good and fired up about this, and I think that's probably the most important thing about holding one of these events. It makes a big difference when the person putting it together is excited about it.

ROCK!

Glenn Case
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

GlennCase wrote:I think my preference is known at this point, but I definitely say Tampa for 2008. Hoblit seems good and fired up about this, and I think that's probably the most important thing about holding one of these events. It makes a big difference when the person putting it together is excited about it.

ROCK!

Glenn Case
two things, I don't know if your preference is known ... because *I* certainly don't know what your preference is. :-)

I'm not exactly fired up about it. I 'can be' and 'would be' if there is any enthusiasm in having the event in Tampa. (or even at all) In other words, if someone else wants to do this, please make it known and you will have my full support. (even if might not be able to make it) If there is legitimate interest in having it in Tampa... let your voice be heard, and if the support seems to swing this way, I'll pick up the cause at 100% velocity.
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

I’ll back up Hoblit and say TAMPA 2008 should be freaking awesome.
This man knows his city, and has all the right contacts to put on a great freaking show.
Now is just a matter of convincing acts to come down to Florida:
We have great weather, beaches, and Bush Gardens… what else do you want?

SPUD: maybe their should be link in the front page to this thread to start some interest going for SFL’08.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

well, this is all just my two cents on the matter..........

we have been in this sort of alternating region thing, and tampa is pretty close to atlanta, but i agree with spud that the location is kind of second to having the ability and willingness to organize it.

hoblit is certainly long overdue so if he wants to host, his cred is firmly established. and dre can help him, who also has cred. so there you go. calm down oats ;)

then there is the temperature factor. tampa in august ain't santa cruz in august. :) just sayin. it will be sweaty.

but i can certainly appreciate both hoblit and dre trekking to visit me so i'd certainly try to reciprocate if i could.
Hi!
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Y'know what people like? Covers of their own songs.* I think that if you want to generate some interest, then sew a coverfight into the tapestry that is SFL08. Like everyone attending will perform one song by another band attending (in some sort of predetermined, 1-1 correspondence fashion.)

Hoblit, pick a weekend already.

*I am drunk.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

I think it's a good idea, Erik. Or at least the seed for one. I would love to play in a band, but have no desire to step up to the mic to sing. But I would also like to play something of mine as well, and whatever it is would certainly sound better with someone else singing it. I hope this doesn't dissuade anyone, but barring an emergency, I should well be able to attend this year.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

jack wrote: then there is the temperature factor. tampa in august ain't santa cruz in august. :) just sayin. it will be sweaty.
There is a whole lot of truth packed into those three sentences. When Dre and I were in Santa Cruz, neither one of us could shut up about how great the weather was! (ESPECIALLY for the summer)

ALL RIGHTY, I'm gonna start a 2008 official Tampa thread.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

jack wrote: then there is the temperature factor. tampa in august ain't santa cruz in august. :) just sayin. it will be sweaty..
Tampa in august may not be santa cruz in august, but it could be Brisbane in January. What's wrong with being sweaty? It makes my body glisten in a very attractive way when I'm naked.
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

You know, Chicago is an excellent town for live performances, and (having grown up there) I can't think of a better place for a bunch of people to show up and play music at...just sayin'.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

MintyHandy wrote:You know, Chicago is an excellent town for live performances, and (having grown up there) I can't think of a better place for a bunch of people to show up and play music at...just sayin'.
One of the important things about Songfight Live events is having someone local that is willing to bust their ass to see to it that things get done.

Chicago would probably be great, and perhaps it would be a great choice for 2010 if there is a local songfighter that is willing to put the effort into making it happen.

Having said that? 2009's Songfight Live will be happening in Spokane. :)

ROCK!

Glenn Case
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

MintyHandy wrote:You know, Chicago is an excellent town for live performances, and (having grown up there) I can't think of a better place for a bunch of people to show up and play music at...just sayin'.

Ooh! ohh! Now yer talkin'!

Minty, where in the city did you grow up? I'm from Evanston, originally.

I'd totally work with Minty to get a Chicago show off the ground for 2010... but I'll wait to get whompin' on that until we get slightly closer to that date. ( ;

(Of course, Chicago in August might not be much better than the Southern states. It's kinda a wild card.)

--Em
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Songfight Live 2009 will be in Spokane, WA

Post by fluffy »

I feel lame for having missed both 07 and 08 but I am definitely totally behind Spokane for 09 and will definitely come, assuming work doesn't decide to schedule me to travel at the same time (and if I have definite plans they won't schedule me to travel).

However, from my limited experience in Spokane, I must add one travel recommendation: Never, ever, EVER stay at the Downtowner Motel, unless having stories to tell is more important than getting a good night's sleep.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Re: Songfight Live 2009 will be in Spokane, WA

Post by Spud »

Having stories to tell is of utmost importance. Remember Van Nuys? Batman!

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening