New Players stand up and be counted.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

Caravan Ray wrote:
stueym wrote: British by birth and Sottish by the grace of god.
Hey - weren't you one of The Proclaimers?
Ah if only I was as slim as those two...however I am much prettier!!! :D
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

Post by king_arthur »

abecedarian wrote:Hi I am abecedarian. I am a person newly emerged from trying times and will begin submitting music again soon.
Well, I think that calls for a hxaro!

Welcome back!

Charles (Art is my middle name!)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

blue wrote:King Arthur: You MUST let us hear the two songs out of eight hundred and one that you have not previously recorded.
Aw, c'mon, it's not like you've been that impressed with any of the stuff I have posted... besides, you can't hear them, they haven't been recorded. Sheesh...
blue wrote:Also please describe in general terms what sort of path I'd need to be on to get into your will re: that '57 strat. Things like rigging songfight, marrying of daughters.. whatever you need done.
Well, see, the problem is that I plan on outliving you... but, uhh, tell me about these daughters you've got, maybe we can work something out.

"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
The Secret-Hxaro Santa
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by The Secret-Hxaro Santa »

King Arthur is the REAL Secret Hxaro Santa. Nice job sir.
Egg
Mean Street
Instruments: whistles and egg shakers
Recording Method: Cakewalk, Cubase, Audacity, Garageband
Submitting as: Phunt Your Friends

Post by Egg »

My real name is Ryan. People in Tampa and New Orleans pronounced that RYE-an. People in the south of France say it r-AYE-yan or something carazy like that. I work on a vineyard here. After the harvest and mixing, I'll be returning to the musical arms of my reluctant and probably disgusted collaborater Mogosogatai.

At his side, we phunt things to our friends and enemies alike. We make fun of people who type movie monologues into their SF posts without giving credit and sit around trying to teach me how to match pitch...a hopeless battle. I've been listening to Song Fight since February 2004. I actually made the ghetto MS Paint cover art for Upcoming Downtime the week I found out about SF. It was not as good as Ms. Hale's, but her painting was not dry yet so I got featured. Maybe that's the story of my life.

People are unnecessarily nice to me in this community since I unleash sometimes-too-wacky solos on their ear drums.

I think the distribution model in modern music is too bulky and will probably be replaced by a more direct economic system within my lifetime.

I like a lot of things, but I choose to promote http://www.audioscrobbler.com right now.
glug glug glug egg makes wine. You can make wine too.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Egg wrote:We make fun of people who type movie monologues into their SF posts without giving credit...
... which is ironic considering that you don't even credit the quotation in your signature ....
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

As I am not the king of one liners...(that'd be Erik) I must clarify: I am not REALLY an alcoholic.

No, I 'm merely an alcoholic in THE MAKING. Does this excite me? No. not at all. It reminds me that working in a fish plant AS A CAREER is a great reason to promote completing your higher education....

I find this thread totally facinating...so I 'm gonna have to bite the bullet and take it seriously. Suprised? Me too.. here goes.

I live on a small island located near the 49th parallel..or so I'm led to believe, in British Columbia. Internet collabs and Songfight resurrected my belief and desire in original music. I was born in Ontario, and my first musical experience was as the lead alto of a boys choir. We actually recorded two christian albums and toured Europe. I got drums when I was seven, because although I loved to air guitar, my Dad had always wanted to be a drummer. Drums were a toy at first ..funny cause they are now again...but when I was 13 this guy Fred Cobb asked me if I could play Iron Maiden and Sabbath tunes... I lied and said yes to get in his band...which I didn't cause I was terrible! Formed my first band with this guy Nick, and we recruited the Hip Cola to be our lead singer cause he was apparently cute and had been in the choir... those were fun times when music was more important than life and dreams and expectations were our reality. Smalltown Mike was this incredibly dynamic front man for a punk band in our school... (absolutely bizarre how life circles back on you...I know you all have had similar experiences...or at least, I HOPE) I admired the shit out of him... he owned the crowd... evn those that were repulsed by punk were entertained. At least in my mind they were...

I wanted to be an actor...but I had this belief that musicians control their own destiny while actors are whores. Nice eh? Funny when you're playing "Queen of Memphis" at the Arbutus Hotel and you reflect on that idea. Yeah. REAL funny. So, I went to drum school... drummers.. What a bunch of assholes when you put them in the same room, and then tell them that you're lookin for the best to rise to the top. I'll never forget the day after a recital when EVERY FUCKING PRICK in my class had to tell me how I wasn't as good as them, because the instructor had told me "Tom, (that's me) you have the potential to play this better than anyone in this room but you always play it the worst". Ok, that's a backhanded compliment, and kinda evil, cause the reaction from the others was harsh, and I reall was not playing as well as them. I've been trying to deal with that statement ever since. And how can I forget Sam, this little latino lad who honestly SCREAMED at me "you'll never be as good as me...NEVER!!!" while dashing off into the halls of Humber College?

I've tried to make it in bands... I fall in love with bands I've been in, I'd rather dance and jump to an original act than a dj, I am intensely loyal to my friends even when they are complete dicks, I respect every person who posts to SF cause it takes a combination of guts, skill and time management to pull this off... I never stop talking or thinking... but I always listen so I usually get away with it! Finally, I have learned to hold back my biting critisms in reviews for a couple reasons... sometimes it's better to be kind than honest, sometimes you just got to politic cause it makes things smoother, and I'd rather make a comment that maybe would inspire or help than one that would make you want to quit growing.

On the other hand, I'm often deleting things I typed cause they were too harsh evem though sometimes I wonder if I should just go for it and damn the response. I dunno...and that's me. (Oh. and I just can't stop amusing myself either... on that level, I just don't care if others aren't amused... life is my joke and I like to laugh.... I guess I'm secretly sorry to those that are afraid or don't understand...but ... well. I know I'm not unique in this regard. )
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

Hi, I'm Future Boy. Some call me Damien. Some just D. I'm one of those stuck-up jerkoffs with a degree in music composition. Two actually. And I'm thinking of going back for the third one, a PhD. I've done lots of different musical things: keyboard in a church worship group, sousaphone/trumpet in marching band, drums in a surf-rock band, avant-garde music, choir accompanist, musical director, and so on. The last year of my life has involved a lot of pop music (I like to call it eclectro-pop), some music for short films, and lots of sitting on my ass.

I'm in Montreal at the moment. Austin before that. Lansdale before that. Grew up and went to college in southern california. I recently realized that I want to keep moving around the world. It's a big place and there are lots of great cities one could live in or around.

I found Songfight through MC Frontalot's website. Been fighting since, uh, August of 2003 (What We Need More Of Is Science). My birthday is August 16th. I'll be 26 this year. All y'all coming to SFL can feel free to bring me birthday presents.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

hey egg, just noticed you're in carcassonne... looks to be beautiful country. so can we get wine from your vineyards in the states?
there's this fantastic game called carcassonne... we call it the dude game.
didn't realize future boy entered the same first fight as me. interesting.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

Leaf wrote:This thread is starting to rule.
It started to rule when Marcus Kellis started it because I'm awesome. 8)
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Egg
Mean Street

Post by Egg »

HeuristicsInc wrote:hey egg, just noticed you're in carcassonne... looks to be beautiful country. so can we get wine from your vineyards in the states?
there's this fantastic game called carcassonne... we call it the dude game.
didn't realize future boy entered the same first fight as me. interesting.
-bill
I just started working here, and it's a small vineyard (only 20 hectares). The guys working here previously sold their grapes by the kilo to make shitty wine which I don't think is available in the states. Our first wine will be ready for public consumption in a couple of years in the states. Something like O' Vineyards. I'll let you know then if any of you are still interested. Thanks for caring. :)

Also, that game rocks. As does Settlers of Katan. And to be truthful, I actually live in a tiny town called Villemoustaussou right next to Carcassonne, but absolutely nobody would recognize that, so I lie.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Egg wrote:I actually live in a tiny town called Villemoustaussou
Ah yes, "the town of moustaches" - I believe the church still hold the Holy Relic of the Fake Moustache of the Magdelaine - worn by Mary Magdelaine as she passed through on the way to Rennes-Le-Chateau.
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

king_arthur wrote:
abecedarian wrote:Hi I am abecedarian. I am a person newly emerged from trying times and will begin submitting music again soon.
Well, I think that calls for a hxaro!

Welcome back!

You are a fantastic individual. Thank you so much, you made my week!
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

i am dan of his name is dan. i am a twenty year old who doesn't like cats nearly as much as dogs, but skunks are cool too. i don't songfight as frequently as i would like too, but that's the way it goes when you try to do a million different things at once. i used to be efficient at writing songs, but now i'm only half as efficient as i was before. my production is passable and my voice is even worse. i live in the midwest, if that means anything.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Egg wrote:We make fun of people who type movie monologues into their SF posts without giving credit and sit around trying to teach me how to match pitch...a hopeless battle.
For the record, I didn't give credit to the Dr. Evil quote from the movie "Austin Powers" because I didn't feel it necessary as it was such a popular movie I thought everyone would get the joke and recognize the monologue. It just happens to be a favorite of mine and fitting of the thread is all. I don't recall attempting to teach anyone how to match pitch, but I have driven more than my fair share of emotionally weak individuals out of the country to be sharecroppers.

I generally dislike people who sit around with friends and anonymously make fun of people they've never met and know nothing about. I'm unnecessarily mean to people in this community because I'm right and you're wrong. Period. I don't promote anything because I generally dislike promoters. Period.

I think men have cycles too, and should be recognized just like women's periods. Period. I'm on my cycle. Period.

The preceding is called sarcasm, and I'm a sarcastic asshole. Period.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
Egg
Mean Street

Post by Egg »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote: I'm unnecessarily mean to people in this community because I'm a sarcastic asshole. Period.
I knew you could take a good teasing.

But I still can't match pitch. That was supposed to be self-deprecating.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

king_arthur wrote: Current leader for the SF King Arthur award (most SF entries under a single name without a win).
Look over your shoulder King. I'm coming to get ya.

King Arthur - 39 entries, 0 wins = 0 percent.

Caravan Ray - 29 entries, 0 wins = 0 percent.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

fodroy wrote:i am dan of his name is dan. i am a twenty year old who doesn't like cats nearly as much as dogs, but skunks are cool too.
HOLLA!
Let cake eat them.
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

my name is noah james mclaughlin. sounds weird, huh? my brother's name is quinn. yeah, we have parents with super common names (linda and steve), so they decided to name us "uniquely". if i had been a girl my name would have been amber. and i bet you can't pronounce my last name on the first try.

way too much information. unlike most people at songfight, i lack intelligent and biting humor. i make up for this deficiency by being verbose or pendantic. sometimes i'm both.

more digestibly: i'm a 27 year-old french doctoral student at the pennsylvania state university. (thesis topic: war films and the creation of meaning). a native of sparks, nevada, i've moved a lot (like 16 or 17 times; i've lost track), and have spent significant time in northern california, virginia, pittsburgh and lyon, france. i'm married (four years this past july 21st), no children, but an orange tabby cat and a saturn.

my musical tastes tend towards the melancholic and/or female: leonard cohen, nine inch nails, ani difranco, tori amos, nirvana, indigo girls, simon and garfunkel, etc., etc. etc. i stumbled onto songfight this past winter/early spring and have found it to be best damn thing in music since the invention of the lyre. collaborations are also one of the best parts of songfight; mine include: hope, oath and suspicion, working with c. hack, and x-tokyo-river-god. i'm always looking for someone to sing better than i can (which isn't hard.)

okay, i'll shut up now.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Mc-Laach-lin?
Songfighter since back in the day.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

Bjam wrote:Mc-Laach-lin?
No it would be

"Mick-law-<insert gutural scots 'ch' sound that is like hawking up phlegm>-lin"

Thats how you do it :D
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

stueym wrote:
Bjam wrote:Mc-Laach-lin?
No it would be

"Mick-law-<insert gutural scots 'ch' sound that is like hawking up phlegm>-lin"

Thats how you do it :D
Well I didn't really want to be all "Hey, when I say your name it sounds like I'm hacking up phlegm."
Songfighter since back in the day.