SFL2k7

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Songfight Live: Hot and Lanta
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Convincing M to go to NH/VT is no problem.
Atlanta is probably doable.
Of course it all depends on the date, not having a conflict :)
But I have been thinking about what songs I'd do given the opportunity...
I don't see the West Coast thing happening for me, it's too far away right now.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
kaptainklaws
A New Player

Post by kaptainklaws »

Atlanta is a wonderful place for a gathering such as this. Wonderful underground scene too.
<a href="http://www.ingruo.net" target="blank">-ART-</a>
<a href="http://www.myspace.com/ingruo" target="blank">-music-</a>
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

Bonus points for having an airport in the same city as the venue.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Plat wrote:Bonus points for having an airport in the same city as the venue.
Though if JB is picking any one up - make sure he knows which terminal to go to.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

2008 should be denver, if it's not seattle or spokane.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

2009 should be Gibraltar, if it isn't Cardiff or Istanbul.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

I highly support Atlanta. (and Atlanta in June isn't going to be any better than August, it simply doesn't make a difference, it will be hot)

I can hitchike to Altanta from here and stay at the Clairmont for a week..eating at the Majestic and Eats. Clearly affordable! :-)

Seriously... Atlanta would be awesome. I would love to trek around my old stomping grounds. Get a beer at The Righteous Room and a shot of Jager at Atkins Park...oh I could go on. Don't get me started on Taco Mac wings and Jerk Chicken from Bridgetown Grill... I truly miss that city and would love to get back up there.

There's also the matter of there being decent public transportation there. I'm going to stop now. This post could get long.
LML
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Epiphone Electric Guitar, Ibanez Acoustic/Electric, Casio/Yamaha Electric piano, Yamaha DD-65 Drums
Recording Method: Garage Band, Blue Snowball, Griffin Line In Cable, hopes and dreams
Submitting as: LML

Post by LML »

Atlanta I can do. Anywhere that is not Atlanta, I can't. That is unless you plan on having it in my backyard. That'd be cool.
LML: As heard on Guantanamo Bay Radio.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Technically you are wrong about that. But I'd just be arguing symantecs. The airport is about 5-10 miles south of Atlanta and by at least two seperate municipals. :P

But that train will take you strait past the Ghetto...er...I mean the 'SOUTH SIEEED' CP represent!
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Isn't Alton Brown in Atlanta?

Wikipedia says he lives in Marietta, GA. Apparently Ty Pennington lives there too.

Okay, so we can totally have it in Atlanta as long as I get to meet my television crushes. :D (I already met Bobby Flay, and he's just as gorgeous in real life, so obviously Ty and Alton will be too).
Songfighter since back in the day.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Does Daisy Duke live in Atlanta?
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Atlanta would be fun. I can squeak away with proper lead time.

I am still hell-bent on hosting rockbarn VT, but I can't do it before Labor Day, and I don't even know if that's the last weekend in Aug or the first in Sep. This job should be done by then.

Another thought is a fall-leaves sort of thing up there, which is first weekend in October-ish, and truly spectacular.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

Hoblit wrote:
Atlanta Schm...atlanta?
To clarify, I'm offering bonus points to any airport-in-same-city-as-venue solution. Points are offered on a sliding scale based on proximity. Basically I'm hoping not to have to rent a car, or spend a lot of time in transit.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

OK I'm taking that as a Roymond-is-in and a removal of the slight guilt I feel for having usurped his position as SFL Volunteer Of The Year.

So, people, firm up your "I'm In" declarations and start arguing about dates. First rule: <a href="http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/NASApp/ml ... =2007">The Braves must be playing a home game that week.</a>

FYI <a href="http://itsmarta.com/">the subway runs directly to the airport</a>, and it's $1.75 per ride, with multi-day passes available.

There is a <a href="http://www.atlantahostel.com/">youth hostel in Atlanta</a>, but I dunno anything about it.

If you gang up and want to rent a house (like many did in Santa Cruz) I will scout the house for you.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

jb wrote:So, people, firm up your "I'm In" declarations and start arguing about dates. First rule: <a href="http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/NASApp/ml ... =2007">The Braves must be playing a home game that week.</a>
So it's roughly official? I'd love to go see Atlanta for a few days.

Here is a baseball summary. Braves are home on or about these weekends:

May 5-6 and 26-27
June 9-10 and 23-24
July 14-15 and 21-22
August 4-5 and 18-19
September 1-2, 8-9 and 22-23

As I recall, tickets are easy to come by-- the stadium is large and in charge (it seats over fifty thousand people, unless you have twenty-five thousand really fat friends) and does not sell out often.

Personally, I am not free tomorrow (Jan 23) because I have a bit of a cold, and possibly the 24th if I don't manage to heal up right quick, but aside from that my calendar is wide open. It's a bachelor's life for me!
Sheail
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitars, keys
Submitting as: Idle Susan, Sheail, Mother Funker

Post by Sheail »

I'm intending to fly over for this, hopefully participating in some capacity. Last year was a bit too far afield. The hostel's got a pretty good rating on hostelbookers.com so may have to check that out.

A baseball game would be the nuts. I'm going to try and stay up for a bit of the superbowl to get in to that whole funny costumes/stoppages every two minutes mindset.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Mother Funker wrote:I'm intending to fly over for this, hopefully participating in some capacity. Last year was a bit too far afield. The hostel's got a pretty good rating on hostelbookers.com so may have to check that out.

A baseball game would be the nuts. I'm going to try and stay up for a bit of the superbowl to get in to that whole funny costumes/stoppages every two minutes mindset.
Yes - do it MF. These Seppos do need more exposure to more civilised cultures. I popped over to try to help them out last year, but I don't think I'll make it this time - I'd hate to see my good work go to waste.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

I'm in. July is better than June for me.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

ken wrote:I'm in. July is better than June for me.

Ken
I'm in the same boat. July is my friend. I'll either be flying on my own or driving with a friend. That's if it's in Atlanta anyway, anywhere else will depend.
Songfighter since back in the day.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I have to be at a wedding in DC on June 30th, so the 23rd-24th may be theoretically possible for me to do in the same trip. Otherwise it's unlikely I'll have time to headback to the East Coast 2-3 weeks before/after the trip I already have planned. Doh!
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

I'm in. If I hadn't made that clear already.

Note: There are weekly dirtbag hotels there. Such as The Clairmont...this is only an option if you had already considered places like a hostel. The Clairmont is in the Midtowwn area close to the Virginia Highlands area... close to everything... I mean that...but it's not a desireable place to stay.

I recomend The Highland Inn... ask for the weekly rate and don't let them hoodwink you into the nightly rate just because you are from out of town. There will be a deposit though...but you get it back at the end of the week. It's on N. Highland one block from the end of the Highlands right in between Little 5 points. Another place you wanna be.

-Note, the last time I stayed there was two years ago... and The Clairmont three years ago...so please forgive me if this information has changed at all. Do yourselves the favor of staying IN the city. Trust me, you don't wanna deal with the traffic there, especially if you get there early.
Last edited by Hoblit on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.