Nur Ein VIII Round Zero "When the Time Comes"

There can be only one.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Re: Nur Ein VIII- Round Zero

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Is anybody going to check out the Boffo broadcast? I'm going to try and tune in and see how it goes. I sent him some promos and am hoping others did as well. It's live, I think, right? Like you can post comments or what or whatever? I'll check here prior to see if anyone is going and where they'll be listening.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
LibraryDogs
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: guitar, vocals, mandolin, bass
Recording Method: Reaper, hacked mBox, mics, various midi implements
Submitting as: Nobody, et al.; Somebody by Himself; Somebody Named Seth; The Library Dogs
Pronouns: He

Post by LibraryDogs »

I'd love to tune in, but 8pm EST is really bad for me. We'll see
“We may be in the Universe as dogs and cats are in our libraries, seeing the books and hearing the conversation, but having no inkling of the meaning of it all.”
― William James
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I did some pieces for the party as well. It should be a good listen plus it gives the bands another way to interact with each other.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:Is anybody going to check out the Boffo broadcast? I'm going to try and tune in and see how it goes. I sent him some promos and am hoping others did as well. It's live, I think, right? Like you can post comments or what or whatever? I'll check here prior to see if anyone is going and where they'll be listening.
I'll be there, but I don't know if they have any means of real-time communication for listeners (unless Youtube comments are "real time" enough for you). I'll probably also be hanging out in the IRC #Songfight! room at the same time.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

For Spintunes they were using a web based chat called Chatzy that worked very well for chatting during the listening party.

I hope to be there today, but may be in and out.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Chatzy chat page for tonights (And hopefully all) the listening parties is

http://www.chatzy.com/goto.cgi?85010334 ... 8z1n8ylue7
Tubba Gutz
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Sequencer, Laptop
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Tubba Gutz, Roach Bites

Post by Tubba Gutz »

Here are my reviews for round zero:

Adam Adamant - Love the warm sound. The progression works really well, ideas building on each other, very solid songwriting. I like it. Ukin' it, that's cool.

Balance Lost - Boom! Drops big and bad, and I love that bass sound. This has me nodding my head. Good, earnest rock music. I wish the vocal melody was a bit higher, I think this could have used a sort of strained shouting delivery and that would have been really cool. That's really just a personal taste thing, though. Liked this a lot!

Boffo Yux Dudes - Pretty funky. The song is put together well. I'm not feeling very connected to the song, though. It's a little too laid back for my taste, and there doesn't seem to be a lot at stake in the delivery of the lyrics.

Carlo Bruno Jr. - Cool desert vibe that I definitely appreciate. I love the psychedelic breaks. They remind me of Ween or Zappa's doo wop material. Takes me to unexpected places, which I always appreciate in music. Great job!

Cavedwellers - I like the intro. The song that follows is another well put-together song that just doesn't grab me that much. Well-performed, obviously talented arrangers/musicians, but it just lacks energy. I like it the most when it comes to the guitar solo and gets a little weird and a little more free-wheelin'. Actually, after that it takes a turn into something I really like.

Chokehold Princess - I thought this was going to turn into something really fun, and was excited to hear that there were some freaks invited to this party. I feel like this was a missed opportunity, but appreciate the direction in which you're going.

Dani House - A solid performance, but it doesn't stand out to me much until the slide guitar part. More of that, please!

DJ Ranger Den - I love the atmosphere created here. Lyrically it's a bit heavy-handed, but I think it's put together well and uses the sound-collage motif in a way that is interesting rather than letting it take over the song.

Frankie Big Face - I think it's tough to do a song about a political issue that is able to excite parts of the listener other than the parts that resonate with (or are opposed to) the political view you're presenting. It's sort of tough for me to react to this on a lyrical level. Musically, I think it's very professional-sounding and so I appreciate that aspect of it.

Governing Dynamics - Love the earnestness of this song, a welcome change from some of the sillier entries (silly is fine, but I like serious songs too). The gunshots are used in a really awkward way, but I can forgive that pretty easily because the song is good. It is jarring, though, and not in the appealing or effective way that a gunshot could be jarring in a song.

Inflatable Vegetables - I feel like this could have been done in a way that captures more of the energy behind the lyrics. It feels like there's a deflated quality to the playing and the singing. It doesn't stand out much to me for that reason.

Jon Eric - It sounds like this song is coiled, ready to spring into something really big and satisfying. The tension you capture in the first half of the song is really something special. Then it goes into something new and interesting, and that adds complexity to the song which is welcome, but I feel like I'm missing that BIG CLIMAX that this song is (and I am) begging for! I thought for sure it would hit after that gunshot, but it just kind of stays around the same level the whole time. I feel like one big guitar part and bringing the melody up an octave would have sent this thing home on a victory lap.

Ken Mahru - This is a good example of setting up tension and paying it off. I know it's done again and again, but the power of the quiet-to-loud song cannot be understated. Very satisfying song.

Manhattan Glutton - Another quiet-to-loud song, loving the 90s worship! I like this a lot. Maybe it doesn't win any points for breaking the mold, but dammit I'd listen to 10 songs like this before 1 "avant-garde" piece any day of the week. Sincerity and musicianship, that's all it takes. Would be rad to see played live.

Merisan - The intro makes me think maybe I'm going to hear a doom metal song, but alas I am not. This is very well done, though. I feel like this sets a real high water mark for this competition out of the gate. Great performances, interesting and satisfying vocal harmonies. You know what your strengths are and use them to great effect. Really enjoyable, through and through.

Paco del Stinko - Can't beat a good western revenge song. Kind of sounds to me like the Aquabats doing an alternate universe version of Camper van Beethoven's "When I Win the Lottery." Fun song.

Rabid Garfunkel - I don't find this very interesting lyrically or musically.

Ross Durand - Love that classic folk rock riffing. Pretty cool little genre homage that turns into a sort of Bob Mould sound-alike by the end. Pretty good stuff!

ROTR - All right some cool hard-hitting rock and roll. The vocals really don't need to sound like that, I feel like. I would have preferred a more straight-forward delivery for a straight-forward rocker like this. Instead it sounds like Bane with a cold being pissed off about something.

Sky Pup - No energy and out of tune. Not very interesting to me.

The Tydon Docks - Refreshing to hear a song that's not about shooting people. Instead we get a good old dick anthem. God bless you and your dick anthem. Fun song, on top of that.

The Various Artists - I was wondering if I would get through this Nur Ein as the only electronic artist. I like this, it has a cool beat and bass lines. The vocals totally put me off, though. Not into that part at all.

WreckdoM - A weird hellish Tom Waits-ian pleasure. Maybe not your best work, but it stands out as unique all the same. That always counts for something in my book.

Your Kid's Friend's Dad - Some exotica, that's a pretty fresh twist in this round. Definitely the only time I've ever thought in my head, "oh cool, exotica!" I'm not really into the lyrics, but the chorus is a winner. Really has me drumming on my laptop and nodding my head. Great harmonies. I feel like it could build into something more by the end, and it doesn't. But whatever that chorus is really enjoyable.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Last year, I made a little side challenge for myself by using as many challenge prompts from past Nur Ein rounds as I could. This year, I didn't give myself any such extra difficulty points, but Nur Ein has been going on for so long now that it's almost inevitable that a decent song will wind up satisfying at least one or two old challenges. I noticed three old ones for mine:

1. Use of a backwards recording. Nur Ein III, Round 2, "Unnatural Disaster." The recording I used is kind of buried in the bridge, and might not have passed muster for the challenge, but it's there.
2. Three different tempos. Nur Ein III, Round 4, "Ties of Blood and Water." I start at a leisurely 90 BPM, jump up to 135 for the bulk of the song, then down to 105 for the coda.
3. No chorus. Nur Ein VI, Round 1, "Colourblind." There's a musical section that might be billed as a chorus, but no refrain, which is how the challenge wound up getting interpreted by most people anyway.

I'm a little interested in the way these things become inevitable as Nur Ein's history grows. Did anyone else find any past challenges that their song happened to fit the bill for?

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Tubba Gutz wrote: The Tydon Docks ... old dick anthem.
Good idea.

Dick Anthem and the Tydon Docks
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

If I was judging 'em, this is how I would be ranking 'em:

Your Kid’s Friend’s Dad
Merisan
Frankie Big Face
Rabid Garfunkel
WreckdoM
Ken Mahru
Carlo Bruno Jr.
Dani House
Adam Adamant
Cavedwellers
Paco del Stinko
Balance Lost
ROTR
Ross Durand
The Various Artists
Governing Dynamics
Manhattan Glutton
Chokehold Princess
Boffo Yux Dudes
Jon Eric
Sky Pup
Inflatable Vegetables
DJ Ranger Den
Tubba Gutz
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Nur Ein Acht

Round Zero – When the Time Comes
Wow! What a group of songs. This strikes me as a very competitive high quality group of competitors. Usually I like to rank them, I’m not close to being able to do that right now. (EDIT: okay after writing reviews, I ranked them, see the bottom) Luckily I don’t have to. It’s so good to hear music from all of you!

Adam Adamant- I wouldn’t want to start off a Nur Ein listening to anyone else. I like your music. This is one of my favorites from you. Tastefully restrained. The low keys with the high mandolin or Uke with your vocals in the middle was very smart. I’m totally with you until the falsetto near the end. It’s just not as strong as the rest of it. The Dire Staits response keyboard is cute, I did not expect that tone in this song. This is catchy! Good Job!

Balance Lost- Oh man! This kicks so much ass! It’s weird to compete against Pete. Balance Lost is one of my favorite bands within and outside of the Song Fight universe. I will collect all of your recordings and enjoy them repeatedly. I have no complaints about this song. The entrance is epic. I love the bass tone. The guitars are always tasty! This is one of your most verbose songs, but it totally works! Bravo! I’m stoked to hear many many more tracks from you!

Boffo Yux Dudes- School of Ween. I like the jazzy composition! Some of the words sound really awkward the way you sing them. There are lots of one-syllable words that are bent down over 2 notes: “too-ook”, “eh-end”, “wih-in”. Also “eventually” is awkwardly stressed. I like the parts you have, but I think you need a couple more parts. It could stand to especially have more of an ending. Good stuff!

Carlo Bruno Jr- If I know you, I haven’t figured out who you are yet. Sounds like a thick accent. I like the 6/8. It’s hard to make out the lyrics. I like the consistant moodiness of this.

Cavedwellers- This is my project. I think we started writing songs together in 1993. It’s been a while. I produced this one; man I wish it wasn’t so quiet compared to all the other entries. My apologies. I sent in a louder version this morning, not sure if it will get updated. My 1st thought for gunfire was the Konami classic Track and Field 100m dash starting pistol. We also included machine gun fire acting like a tambourine in the 1st chorus. Lee wrote the verse and chorus music, I wrote the bridge music. I wrote the chorus and bridge vocal melodies, Lee wrote the verse melodies. We both play bass, we trade guitar solos. I’m quite pleased with the end result. I hope you all dig it!

Chokehold Princess- This has got to be Ben Krieger. This is hilarious and brilliant! I hope I’m right, because I’d love to get several more Ben K songs. It’s short, but perfect for an a capella tune.

Dani House- This is great! Do we know you as someone else? The dynamics are fantastic! I love the performance of the vocalist. Nice shuffle! Excellent stuff!

DJ Ranger Den- This is haunting and weird. I really enjoy this for one listen. For repeated listens, I really have to be in the right mood.

Frankie Big Face- Dirt simple. Super catchy! Great lyrics. Who did that 80’s new wave classic “Charlton Heston put his vest on”. Ah yes Stump (1988) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWa3ouFWwJs , thank you for the reminder!. The verse is much stronger than the chorus. They’re both very good. Boo to the fade out. I’m stoked to get more Frankie Big Face songs! You’re the champ; we’re gunning for you.

Governing Dynamics- This is wonderful! At the listening party, I was one of the guys calling out the Replacements similarity. I’d like to hear more variance in the drums. This is a very well written song. Great vocal performance!

Inflatable Vegetables- Glad you’re in the competition. There’s some mix issues. The vocals could use a few more takes to get more comfortable with the lyrics. There’s some tasty bass licks in there!

Jon Eric- This is a pretty song. I think the solo should be louder. I like where the drums are in the mix. The tension built is nice, I think it could release into a louder more intense section. Your vocals stay pretty soft throughout. God stuff!

Ken Mahru- This is my favorite chorus of the fight. I also think it’s the best use of the challenge. It’s the most musical. I love the synth tone for the lead. I wish the solo was longer, I mean I want a lot more of this song than 2:35. I believe Ken has appeared on more Nur Ein tracks than anyone. It’s weird to compete against Ken.

Manhattan Glutton- I’m stoked you’re back! This song rocks! The tremelo guitar works, but I probably would have turned the tremelo down. Great dynamics! I like the lyrics too! Great performance on everything, excellent mix. The fake out ending is great! I like the gun fight too.

Merisan- Wow! The vocals are soooo good! That acoustic sounds wonderful! Is it 2 acoustics hard panned? The percussion is nice, I still yearn a bit for a Boom kick, and a Thak snare. The restrained bass line is awesome! I’m sure this will rank high, if not win this round. Great job! I expect nothing less!

Paco del Stinko- I call this the “thank God for Memphis” Paco personality. This is hilarious! This might win as well. I’m a huge fan, and this is a good one! It feels so good when the drum and bass kicks in. The backing vocals are perfect. I love it!

Rabid Garfunkel- I enjoy this. Nice to keep it short. I like the title repetition more than the text of the 2nd amendment. Reminds me a lot of Mad Dog.

Ross Durand- Love your vocals! Acoustic sounds great as usual. I want the bass to be more prominent and active. Seems to short, I want a bridge and a solo. This is really good. I’m very much looking forward to more Ross tunes!

ROTR- Nice to have the rock. I wish you didn’t distort your vocals so much. I cant make out a single word. Nice riffs! Good punk length and ending!

Sky Pup- This sounds more like a writing session than a finished product.

Tubba Gutz- Robots will not take over!

The Tydon Docks- Love the bass line! I’m bopping my head and tapping my toes. Love it! This sounds like a jam band. Don’t you hate jam bands? Very cool!

The Various Artists- Okay this is pretty musical with the gunfire too. Nice!

Wreckdom- I love the weird grooves you guys come up with! This is great! That synth riff at 1:22 is fantastic! I wish it was longer, I was thoroughly entertained!

Your Kid’s Friend’s Dad- Nice playing, nice performance! I wish there was some edge to contrast the Jimmy Buffet Island relaxing mellowness. Nice way to end the fight, felt like I’ve been through war.

I think Cavedwellers should pass, I’m nowhere near objective enough to rank us.

I’m much more objective about the rest and here’s how I’d rank them, were I a judge:

Balance Lost
Ken Mahru
Merisan
Paco del Stinko
Governing Dynamics
Dani House
Tydon Dox
Wreckdom
Man Glut
Ross Durand
Chokehold Princess
Frankie Big Face
Adam Adamant
Carlo Bruno Jr.
Jon Eric
Various Artists
YKFD
Boffo Yux
Rabid Garfunkel
ROTR
DJ RD
Tubba Gutz
Inflatable Vegetables
Sky Pup
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Caravan Ray wrote: Your Kid’s Friend’s Dad
Merisan
Frankie Big Face
Rabid Garfunkel
WreckdoM
Ken Mahru
Carlo Bruno Jr.
Dani House
Adam Adamant
Cavedwellers
Paco del Stinko
Balance Lost
ROTR
Ross Durand
The Various Artists
Governing Dynamics
Manhattan Glutton
Chokehold Princess
Boffo Yux Dudes
Jon Eric
Sky Pup
Inflatable Vegetables
DJ Ranger Den
Tubba Gutz
Shall I elaborate?

Any of these could have taken #1 spot:
Your Kid’s Friend’s Dad
Merisan
Frankie Big Face

YKFD cracked me up. Though I fear it may end up being used as a TV commercial selling dumb things to morons. Merisan was great - because I like songs like that. Weird thing though was - I am a big fan of Erins voice - but the the best bit was when Sam started singing. That chorus was cool. ANd FBF nailed it with an awesome chorus. Though it sounds like he is making fun of his Constitution Right..nay..DUTY..to be armed to the teeth. He must be a Communiss.

Rabid Garfunkel
WreckdoM
Ken Mahru
Carlo Bruno Jr.
Dani House

THese ones were all just really cool songs that I really enjoyed, though they may have had slight flaws.
Rabs was awesome - but something about the vocals sounded funny. Not the voice - the crappy microphone. Wreckdom was great to hear again - Ken has the knack of melody - Carlo...I don't know what the fuck Carlo is - but it was fgood - and Dani was as rough as guts, but still really cool anyway

Adam Adamant
Cavedwellers
Paco del Stinko
Balance Lost
ROTR
Ross Durand
The Various Artists

THe next lot were all entirely respectable and enjoyable. Some - (I'm looking at you especially Furry Pete) - I expect more from.

Governing Dynamics
Manhattan Glutton

You two blokes seem to know what you are doing and doing it well. It is only personal taste that has put you so low. It is not you - it's me.

Chokehold Princess
Boffo Yux Dudes
Jon Eric
Sky Pup
Inflatable Vegetables
DJ Ranger Den
Tubba Gutz

Nothing here grabbed me much. Tubba - sorry, but someone had to be last. I have nothing against what you were doing - but I found a lot of your sounds annoying, not much in the way of a song, and at 4:30 or so....no. Den - you know I am a fan. Pull your finger out. Sky Pup - Tubba Guts nailed it - out of tune and no energy....out of tune is neither here nor there, I am always out of tune....no energy though is unforgivable. Give it some. I recall wasting many of my younger years pissed out of my skull at THe Entrance. You are from Budgie. THere must be some lesson in this?!
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles
Pronouns: he/him

Post by BenKrieger »

Chokehold Princess is indeed me, Glenny. I had two ideas for this title, but only one that could be executed with laryngitis. I strategized for Round 0 and made it just clever enough to slip into the contest if need be, then went back to bed.
skypup
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar
Submitting as: Sky Pup

Post by skypup »

Tubba Gutz wrote:No energy and out of tune. Not very interesting to me.
Caravan Ray wrote:Sky Pup - Tubba Guts nailed it - out of tune and no energy....out of tune is neither here nor there, I am always out of tune....no energy though is unforgivable. Give it some. I recall wasting many of my younger years pissed out of my skull at THe Entrance. You are from Budgie. THere must be some lesson in this?!
Aww, man! The thing is, I know you guys are right. I was trying to get in the character of some poor soldier sitting in a trench feeling miserable. But there was no energy. Still, I'm still in with a chip and a chair for next week.

For the record, I would like you both to know that I can give songs a bit of energy:

They may kinda suck but at least they rock and get a laugh.

I'm so pumped to fucking rock it out of the park next week.

NUR EIN!
skypup
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar
Submitting as: Sky Pup

Post by skypup »

Also, everyone's songs are really amazing. Well done everyone! You all fucking rock.

I especially liked:
Adam Adamant
Balance Lost
Boffo Yux Dudes (This reminded me of Mike Patton's attempt at making pop music - Peeping Tom. Good stuff)
Carlo Bruno Jr
Governing Dynamics
Manhattan Glutton
Paco Del Stinko
ROTR (FUCK YEAH ROCK & ROLL!!!!!)
The Tydon Docks
WreckdoM
Your Kid's Friend's Dad

Wait, that's like half the entries. I guess that just shows how much awesome music was made for this round.

I'll try and get around to doing a review sometime.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

glennny wrote: Jon Eric- This is a pretty song. I think the solo should be louder. I like where the drums are in the mix. The tension built is nice, I think it could release into a louder more intense section. Your vocals stay pretty soft throughout. God stuff!
I'm always surprised at the extent to which I hear my own song wrong just because I had to listen to the darn thing two hundred times while mixing it. I thought my vocals were bordering on too loud in some sections.

Anyway, thanks for listening and writing your reviews. I'll be following up with some reviews of my own, hopefully later today.

SilverPixie
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Flute
Recording Method: ACID, Audacity, UTAU
Submitting as: WTFBBS, The Various Artists

Post by SilverPixie »

Tubba Gutz wrote: The Various Artists - I was wondering if I would get through this Nur Ein as the only electronic artist. I like this, it has a cool beat and bass lines. The vocals totally put me off, though. Not into that part at all.
I tried to get UTAU to program my lyrics, but it just didn't come out the way I wanted, so I gave up and tried to do it sans-computer program. And now y'all know why I've only done vocals on one song (Please Stop - WTFBBS), and everything else has been pure instrumentals. Da Pixie can't sing to save her life. :)
"A pounding beat that makes me pump fist, that makes me smile like I've just been kissed."
Billy's Little Trip
Odie
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics

Post by Billy's Little Trip »

Generic wrote:I'm always surprised at the extent to which I hear my own song wrong just because I had to listen to the darn thing two hundred times while mixing it. I thought my vocals were bordering on too loud in some sections.

Anyway, thanks for listening and writing your reviews. I'll be following up with some reviews of my own, hopefully later today.
The problem with mixing your own stuff, as most of us do, we get used to hearing the "iffy" parts over and over and we get used to it. This is why it's always best to get your mix done and close it up for the day/night, then listen with fresh ears the next day or later. My rule is if anything jumps out at me on first listen of the day with fresh ears, it goes or gets fixed.

Also, a good trick to add excitement and energy without getting louder is to simply double track the vocals. Repeat it until the matched vocal is exact to the lead vocal. You don't even have to match the level of both, you can just move the matched vocal up in the mix until your ears hear the sweet spot.
Also to simply bump everything up an octave on the final chorus. It's like talking louder in a conversation when you're trying to get your point across.
Your invoice is in the mail.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Caravan Ray wrote:Rabs was awesome - but something about the vocals sounded funny. Not the voice - the crappy microphone.
Used a "crap-it-up" efx on the vox, but had it set way-subtle instead of in-your-face awesome nastiness. Mic was the trusty 57, operator error, not equipment.
/fail

@BLT: Yeah, the "fill in the blanks" thing that the brain does, hearing what you intended to put in instead of what's really there. Crazy-making.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Caravan Ray wrote: Some - (I'm looking at you especially Furry Pete) - I expect more from.
What can I say, this is round zero. I'm still working at "H-game" level. You should count yourself lucky I didn't fart down a mic and send it in. It woulda qualified.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Adam Adamant - Pleasant and casual. I like the ding-dong melody on the chorus.
Balance Lost - Splat, and we're off! This is very you and that's a good thing. Aww... I keep expecting a more traditional double-time feel to kick in.
Boffo Yux Dudes - I like the Clavi bit. A deep scary voice would be fun.
Carlo Bruno Jr. - One of my top faves this week. Dark and compelling, Floyd-ish changes are great and I love the washy cymbals. Is this Ray Negro?
Cavedwellers - Complex and musically top tier. I like the tripped and manicy chorus as well as the gonzo leads. Good vocal work too.
Chokehold Princess - Hastily done but fun. I like how they drop off one at a time.
Dani House - Maybe my favorite of the round. Sloppy, sure, but loaded with feel. A scruffy tune that swings and sways, this is good fun.
DJ Ranger Den - Somewhere between dreams and nightmares lies this tune. I like it, it's very gonzo, but I hope you jump onto a different crazy wagon next round. Kisses!
Frankie Big Face - Great lyrics, preaching to my choir. Wish I could write'm as well. Glam rock fun, I dig the bumble bee guitar on the Heston verse.
Governing Dynamics - Very 80s, especially the lead tone. Wash this in more reverb and I'd feel compelled to put on black eyeliner. Well, maybe not, but you know. I like the beltng vocals.
Inflatable Vegetables - I like the chorus best. I think this'd be better performed in a higher key. Crazy A-Team battle at the end. Yikes!
Jon Eric - I expected to hear Neil Young before the rimshot beat started. Strong idea, well executed. The news bits are well paced and the gun sample is very good. Sad vibe is effective.
Ken Mahru - Smart use of gun fire as percussion, though it sounds a little funny. Last dance at the prom. Oh! The Homecoming Queen Has A Gun! Remember that?
Manhattan Glutton - Captain Cool as killer. All slo-mo too, I'm sure. Sounds great, strong melodies. Real kit or programmed drums?
Merisan - Maybe the winner this round. Strong all around: themeatically, musically, performamce, etc. Erin, you're wonderful. Don't get mad when I say that it sounds like you're smiling when singing. That's great, but maybe not for this song! Slide feels a bit crowded at the end.
Paco del Stinko - Glad to have an excuse to use the name Pappy in a song.
Rabid Garfunkel - That scary intro is the nuts! The lyrics could use a bit more meat, but I dig the radioactive guitar and scooty beat.
Ross Durand - Nice riffs and 12 string. Yay! Very bright mix. Good graps and use of today's headlines, always a strong suit of yours. Chorus is good, I'd like tp hear a little oo-ah type stuff.
ROTR - Nice neck smasher. I don't mind distorted vocals, but ya still gotta hear'em. A face melting solo would not have been misplaced here, depsite the punk attitudes.
Sky Pup - Interesting concept. Perhaps a visit to the trencehes istead of a stay there might have worked better. Or, take us away, insde the soldier's head, for a bit. Work on your pitch, too.
Tubba Gutz - These are excellent lyrics. The music is interesting, bordering on annoying at times. Whittle it down and hit the turbo button on the rhythm track. Yes, even more than you did.
The Tydon Docks - Great manic eergy and a unique lyric angle. Well, unique among the round, maybe not for a guy that plays penis on list of instruments. I play too, just not on record. Wait. Anyway, excellent work. Next year: Me, you, and BLT as the Pushin' Fitty's.
The Various Artists - Good chip chop job here and use of gun samples. A lot of work. Cold, which is fine for gun themes. I'd like to heaar some organic elements in this or your next round. Push!
WreckdoM - Hasty, yeah, still has that rubbery sleaze-o-matic feel that I love. Turn it upside down next round.
Your Kid’s Friend’s Dad - One of the best songs this round, maybe the winner, neck and neck with Merisan. These lyrics resent better than they read on the boards, so that says a lot about your delivery amd melodic sense. Very excellent.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Reviews! Regrettably, some of you got left out due to technical difficulties. I will finish later.

Adam Adamant - A little wordy, but pleasant. Your ukulele is more in tune than usual, and that makes more of a difference than you might expect. I'm having a hard time determining whether each verse is a different story, or all contributing to one narrative. The gun feels like kind of a cop-out.

Balance Lost - [TBD]

Boffo Yux Dudes - Man, you really need to work on concision in your lyrics. Take a carving knife to your draft, and I think your finished product will be much more likely to inspire reactions in your listeners. Why does the first line of the chorus have to be "So when my time comes I want you to blow me off the map" when it could be "When my time comes, blow me off the map" instead?

Carlo Bruno Jr. - [TBD]

Cavedwellers - Extremely clever rhymes. Lyrics about current events often bore me, but these are nimble enough to make a good impression. I particularly like "Conceal and carry isn’t scary if you’re one of the good ones." That almost sounds like a Colbert quote. I don't know what this song has to do with the Nintendo track game, but hey, the sample sounds good in there, so why not?

Chokehold Princess - Reminds me of an old Smothers Brothers song, "Hangman." Your stuff is always hit-or-miss with me. This was a miss, but it's really exciting to hear how you tackle each successive challenge. See you next week!

Dani House - I like the arrangement and performance of this, but I'm bugged by the fact that the lyric is "When the time comes and goes." Yes, it's a nitpick, but if this exact song were written outside of Nur Ein, its title wouldn't have been "When the Time Comes," ya dig? Other than that, I really like this song. It's pretty much exactly in my comfort zone, and I've got my toe tapping and everything. More of this, please. :-)

DJ Ranger Den - [TBD]

Frankie Big Face - It goes without saying that you're an expert at figuring out what sound you're going for, and then achieving it.I'm not wild about this particular genre on you, but you pull it off, anyway. I have no technical concerns to bring up, but the lyrics are hypocritical and vaguely disturbing. The implication seems to be that you want to shoot NRA heads to death in order to get guns out of people's hands. I guess that was the satirical point you were trying to make?

Governing Dynamics - [TBD]

Inflatable Vegetables - [TBD]

Jon Eric - I was pleased with this finished song; I think it matched my vision of it really well. If the judges don't like this, I'm probably in for a short contest this year. There are a couple of things I'd like to go back and change, but nothing major.

Ken Mahru - When I saw the lyrics in the lyric thread, I thought this was going to sound like "Shreds." Ah well. In the verse it sounds like you're near the bottom of your singing register; why not transpose up a step or two? I like your chorus a lot. Top-tier stuff.

Manhattan Glutton - [TBD]

Merisan - This is gorgeous. The melody is complex and catchy at the same time. Sam's harmonies add just the right emphasis in just the right spots. The guitar is almost supernaturally clean. Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope y'all miss the deadline sometime soon. :P

Paco del Stinko - This makes me think of Ween - "Beunos Tardes, Amigo." Executed well, and with the typical Paco elan, but it's a bit too hammy for my tastes.

Rabid Garfunkel - I wish you had tried to include a melody. This shout-singing comes across as overly artificial.

Ross Durand - The intro makes me think of "Tribute" by Tenacious D, but thankfully that impression dissipates really quickly. When the drums come in, it happens at half the speed I was expecting, then reaches full tempo for the chorus, then the tambourine doubles that the following chorus. Really good pacing. Some of the lyrics strike me as a little more awkward than your usual.

ROTR - I didn't understand any of the lyrics other than the title, thanks to the heavy distortion. I guess I should just say "This isn't my thing" and move on.

Sky Pup - I really appreciate when the narrative of a song is inclusive of the song itself - in this case it's a soldier trapped in a trench with a guitar (for some reason), singing quietly because he's terrified. The lyrics could have used a few more drafts to be really compelling. The distant fire and explosions build the mood quite well.

Tubba Gutz - I suspect that your bark is worse than your bite. I'm not sure that making good on any of the threats in this song would be much worse than listening to it again.

The Tydon Docks - This is—for want of a better way to describe it—quintessentially Caravan Ray. I do appreciate that you were one of the only contenders who didn't take a violent interpretation of the title/challenge. I mean, I tried to keep it nonviolent, but then a song about Lee Harvey Oswald came out, so I'm guilty too. I like your whole-note harmonies.

The Various Artists - I don't know much about firearms, but I kept wondering what kind of gun this was that only needs to be cocked every fifteen shots or so. I like the idea of using rhythmic shots as your percussion section, but there's not enough else going on in the song for me to care. There are practically no lyrics (by the way, the singer is both off-pitch and off-beat, yowch!), and it runs on seemingly forever.

WreckdoM - [TBD]

Your Kid’s Friend’s Dad - [TBD]