Nur Ein V Round Zero "Time to Panic"

There can be only one.
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: Spintown & Company
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein V: Round Zero

Post by Spintown »

Yeah, I wonder what happened with Jonathan Mann as well. I saw the video when he first posted it, and was happy to see he was entering....or so I thought.
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

Spud wrote:
Chris Cogott wrote:It's not that big a deal but my name is spelled wrong. Not sure if I did that when I emailed it in. Thanks for putting the songs up. Can't wait to hear them.
Dunno where the typo came from, it was there when I got it. Anyway, fixed now.

SPUD
Hi. I'm Denise. I'm listed as "DJ Ranger DAN"

Mines spelled wrong too. But I was a DORK and sent email about it, because I don't know how to work the message boards yet. I am a NOOB.

This is my first entry. I was trying to be DJ Ranger Den. But I'm thinking that I'll just go as a man from now on or something. Hell, I dunno. I don't care either way. ;) I think I'm Den on the website.

Thanks for having me here. I'm excited to be here.
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

If Minty can stay in that zone and get his entries in, I see him making it to the top 5, at least.
You made my day. That song really, really hurt to shit out in time, so thanks for the kindness.

Also: Adam_Adamant, is that a Casio SK-1 barking in the background there? Awesome.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I have an exam tomorrow, so I'll stop by and review when that's finished.

ps - I put up a drumcam for my entry. I botched a fill halfway through, but I cut it in the song anyway so it wasn't a big deal. :P
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, Mac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

To anyone who hasn't already posted their lyrics, please do if you don't mind. Thanks!
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

Is there a special place for posting Nur Ein entry lyrics?

EDIT: nevermind, I'm blind, but now I see.
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

we are cutting wires and defusing the bomb
it's no time to panic
my name's billy and i'm cutting the blue
my names betty and i'm cutting the black
my names larry and i'm holding the light
(countdown)
my name's kelly and i'm cutting the last wire
(party)
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

RangerDenni wrote: Mines spelled wrong too.
Again, fixed.
Again, not my fault.

SPUD

Oh, and you left out the apostrophe.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

@Matt and Ben K:

There's a thread for that. :wink:
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man

Post by RangerDenni »

Spud wrote:
RangerDenni wrote: Mines spelled wrong too.
Again, fixed.
Again, not my fault.

SPUD

Oh, and you left out the apostrophe.
ACK!

:S
Thanksa millions!!!
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man

Post by RangerDenni »

I'm listening to all these songs and I have to say that I'm REALLY enjoying myself.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

BenKrieger wrote:we are cutting wires and defusing the bomb
it's no time to panic
my name's billy and i'm cutting the blue
my names betty and i'm cutting the black
my names larry and i'm holding the light
(countdown)
my name's kelly and i'm cutting the last wire
(party)
That was you!

Damn - that song is very cool. Glad you posted the lyrics. I was wondering what that was all about.

And Adamadamant - great work. Enjoyed that very much. Very strange - but strangely effective. There is no way that nursery rhyme counting chorus should have worked - but it did!

And Sid Denison wants to know who stole his bass sounds. Last minute (literally) mastering using a Garageband preset (Pop) turned out to not be a good idea
adamadamant
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Answer phone messages

Post by adamadamant »

Thanks Ray, yeah I don't really know where I was going with the 'pick up sticks' line, it does rhyme with 6 but that's about it. :)

@MintyHandy, yes it is an SK-1, I use it quite often but I think this is the first time I tried to use the 'Hello' voice seriously. I always thought it sounded stupid but then I heard it in some song recently (EDIT: It was Lykke Li - Breaking It Up) so I thought I'd give it a go.

There were some really good songs this round. got to give a shout out to Boop Boop for sheer ridiculousness.

NUR EIN!
Last edited by adamadamant on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Great round of music!

One of my two favorite is Therman (Jolly Reist!!! this is awesome), killer drums, killer guitars, great song! You sound revitalized, fresh and hungry, picking up where you left off last year and just getting better!

My other favorite is Boop Boop, I recognized the Robot Candidate synth sound and the Crabs on Banjo vocal reverb immediately. The song is fun and super catchy.I hope you go far, so I can have many new songs from you!

Other gems to me (I fear I won't have time for proper reviews) : Minty Handy, BLT, Adam Adamant, and Milo Dunderville.

NUR EIN
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man

Post by RangerDenni »

Hey. Checked again. Still a noob. Apparently it sticks for a while.
I don't know how y'all do things here, so am not sure whether you like lyrics posted here or on outside links. My lyrics are for now posted on my blog. I've linked directly to the entry - so as not to clutter up this forum page. If you'd like me to put them here again - or in the future, let me know.

Thanks folkses
http://philosophywithfries.wordpress.co ... 0/nur-ein/
(scroll to the bottom if you want that's where they are. The rest is just me yammering on)
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Board index » Song Fight! » Ye Olde Lyric Archive » Nur Ein V - Time to Panic

...is where the lyrics for this round live. The "Ye Olde Lyric Archive" is a repository of all the words people feel fit to print (and the judges of Nur Ein like having the lyrics available when they're a-judging).

Welcome to Songfight. Digging the twisted groove, yo.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man

Post by RangerDenni »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:Board index » Song Fight! » Ye Olde Lyric Archive » Nur Ein V - Time to Panic

...is where the lyrics for this round live. The "Ye Olde Lyric Archive" is a repository of all the words people feel fit to print (and the judges of Nur Ein like having the lyrics available when they're a-judging).

Welcome to Songfight. Digging the twisted groove, yo.
Thanks for the locale. I'll do it. :)
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

glennny wrote:One of my two favorite is Therman (Jolly Reist!!! this is awesome), killer drums, killer guitars, great song! You sound revitalized, fresh and hungry, picking up where you left off last year and just getting better!
Thanks glennny. :mrgreen:

My personal favorites are:

Christopher Cogott - For the RAWK!!! Your drums sound great in this style.
Jon Eric - I'm addicted to your songwriting. It's just so damn happy. :)
Milo Dunderville - I wouldn't write a song like this, but I'd listen to it. Great song, sir.
Minty Handy - I absolutely love the little background voices. Your production is really awesome.

There were others that I enjoyed, but these ones really stuck out to me. NUR EIN!!!
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: Spintown & Company

Post by Spintown »

I didn't review everyone, but here's some thoughts I had on a few of the entries. Good stuff came from round 0, good work.

Chris Cogott - Fast, great production, and has a strong pop feel. Chris is right up there with Ross Durand as one of my favorite Song Fighters...this is just another example of why.

Berkeley Social Scene - Nothing bad to say about this gem...except...I didn't like the instrumental that started 1:55 into the song. Music overal was good, lyrics great & well produced.

Jon Eric - The word goofy comes to mind, but in a good way. It was entertaining, the screams made me laugh, and it was kinda catchy. Overall, great entry.

Milo Dunderville - A great song about a day I'm doing my best to avoid. Actually very fun to sing along with.

Billy's Little Trip - Another fun song to sing...nothing really to complain about here.

DJ Ranger Den - Loved the music, and liked the creepy feel the song gave me overall. At times it's hard to hear the vocals, and Denise already knows my issues with her lyrics.

The Real Sign - Vocals are a little hard to pick up sometimes, but it's a solid entry.

Minty Handy - Basically it's a "list" song, like "Internet People 2". Only this song is about unfortunate situations that might be unsettling. Not a bad idea, but there's really not much to the song. Not bad, just not great either.

Matt Brodeur & Bill Gliniecki had a good idea for a song, but it didn't really grab me. It did inspire me to listen to the Godz Poodlz song "Bomb Squad Girl" some more...that's a plus. http://godzpoodlz.bandcamp.com/track/bomb-squad-girl

http://spintown79.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... eview.html
Chris Cogott
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, bass, vocals, keys (as long as I could cheat with midi)
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Submitting as: Chris Cogott

Post by Chris Cogott »

Reist wrote:
Christopher Cogott - For the RAWK!!! Your drums sound great in this style.
Thanks Reist. I was thinking that the drums were a little over the top but I trust your judgment a lot more than mine.
inevitableguy
Mean Street
Instruments: Stuff with strings, vocals, poor drum machine programming
Recording Method: Roland VS-1880
Submitting as: Naked Philosophy

Post by inevitableguy »

Lots of good stuff out there. No time for full reviews (I've got another song to write and record in the next 5 days, after all), but I wanted to note the standouts of the week.

Therman and Chris Cogott both submitted great songs - well-written and well-produced, but I've got to give top honors to Boop Boop for writing a song that was both unexpected and completely approachable at the same time.

See you all in round 1.

NUR EIN
==========================================
Naked Philosophy, The Tedward Nixon Experience
==========================================
"Brilliant and disastrous at almost the exact same time" - Melvin
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

OK, I'll be the first judge to come out:

Adam Adamant
As the leader of a formerly all-synths-all-the-time band, I am stoked by the lead in. A song that combines history lessons and politics is also good. Throwing in dates is a good precursor to the actual counting. Gets the listener used to hearing numbers in a song without them being jarring when the actual counting comes in. You used the title exactly as given. No extra credit. I am not as enamored of the pick up sticks as some. I wish you could have found something that recalled the nursery rhyme without actually quoting it. VOTE.

Berkeley Social Scene
The first of the songs, and there are many, that ask us to take a breath. This one, explicitly, and it is fresh the first time through. Luck of the alphabetical listing. For my money, I find a disjuncture between the style of singing the cool melody and the distorted guitars/synths or whatever they are that come in later on. Again, you mentions some numbers (1000 times) prior to the actual backward counting. A good device to prepare the listener's mind. VOTE.

Nilly's Little Trip (sic)
Lame count-in knocked you down a peg in my book. At least it wasn't right at the beginning. Did you graft that extra intro on just so it wouldn't be? Also I like that you twisted the title a bit with the "start to panic" line, and I guess the first person immediacy implies that it's time. Could be stronger, but eh, it doesn't matter, because it's all about the hook. I CAN"T FIGHT THIS FEELING ANY MORE! The words may not be so original, but you make them your own with the delivery. Excellent rock anthem feeling. VOTE.

Boop Boop
Wow, does this bring back memories or what? The first mp3 I ever downloaded was "star trekkin'" and this evoked that in a most excellent way. Throw in a little Men Without Hats, and a style-appropriate up-the-scale countdown with lots of people yelling wah-hoo in the background, and you've got a cute little number here. VOTE.

Matt Brodeur & Gill Gliniecki
I liked the fact that the counting was well integrated into the lyrics, and how you shifted from counting minutes into seconds. A clever construction. Unfortunately for you, what you did most excellently was to set up Christopher Cogott for a smash entry right at where your ZERO would be. You can open for me any time! VOTE.

Christopher Cogott
See above. Get Matt and Gill to write you an intro every week, and you'll be in good shape. At first I was thinking The Who, but your most excellent lyrical transformation of "Should I Stay or Should I Go" into "Should I run, should I hide, should I stay inside?" channeled The Clash just a little bit too well. The jig is up. Write your own song next time. VOTE.

DJ Ranger Den
The instruments remained nice and clean, even with the ethereal effect on the vocals. Initially, your vocals create a nice counterplay with the instrumental arrangement, but it seems to fall out of time after a bit. Perhaps it was just so good in the first section, that I hoped it would stay there. In particular, when the phrase "time to panic" appears, you almost choke it in under your breath because it doesn't seem to fit the rhythm going on behind it. Good counting. VOTE.

Emperor Gum
Your fresh approach on the counting, totally embedded into the lyrics, skipping over number but definitely progressing, intrigued me. The female HAL seemed a good fit for this style. Unfortunately, you kind of lost me when the guy came in and started from seventeen again. Lost the mood. VOTE.

Johnny Cashpoint
Not sure that reading dates counts as counting, but then that's not all we're here for, is it? I liked the expansion/redirection of the title into "there's still plenty of time to panic", implying that it's not quite time yet. Did you use the word 'fretful' just as the bass came in on purpose? Say yes. VOTE.

Jon Eric
Yeeeeehoo. Break it loose, Jon. The music is familiar Jon Eric, but you're stretching a little with the angsty screaming, and I like it. Hint: stretch more, and more often. We're back into deep breaths territory again, and since you were far from first, I am not impressed. However, your play on words (intentional or otherwise) with 1, 2, 10 ( 1 to 10) was fun. A bit pitchy for you, but it was probably the vocal affectations that put you off your game a bit, so I can overlook it. VOTE.

Milo Dunderville
Loved the construction of this song, with the varying rhyming schemes. Everything from four note rhyming phrases up to several lines before it comes around. The chorus is catchy, and this is very well executed. The counting is handled with ease, spliced right into the lyrics with hardly a seam showing. If this was about something else, I might be tempted to sing along, but I'm already married, so... VOTE.

Minty Handy
Well played, but a bit generic for my taste. Seems like I've heard this song somewhere before. Shouted counted in the background doesn't feel integral to the song, and the connection of the counting to the panic, while present, seems forced. VOTE.

Naked Philosophy
This has a strong structure with several instrumental passages that sound like counting. The repeated chord in the chorus, which morphs into the HEYS in the theme, and then the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 finally actually counted. Seems like it should all work better than it does. Points for trying, however. I liked where you were going with this. VOTE.

noah mclaughlin
I just listened. enjoyed, and then it was over. I had fun along the way. I like that you dove right in with the title in the very first line. Good strong connection between "counting on you to step in" and the actual counting. Your line "Is it time" isolated from the word "panic" is nice. Makes you wonder if it's time to step in, instead of panicking. VOTE.

Rabid Garfunkel
Ah. High concept. Gotta love it. Standalone numbers "ONE" and "TWO" reminded a little of Ira Glass: "Act One: Not Time to Panic", but hey, he's an intellectual, so there. Census = counting people. Taxes = counting money. I get it. THREE is my favorite. Clearly, it's now time to panic. VOTE.

Same Day Positive
OK, I got stolen away from listening to your actual music trying to figure out if you were really counting twos and threes, fours and threes, 7/8 time, or were just making it up over 1/1 as you went along. Vocals were a little grating. Clearly, the dog wanted you to stop. VOTE.

Sid Denison and the Harpooners
Beeping in my left ear is a little annoying, but that's a nit. I like the sketch style. The counting seems forced until you get to the hyperventilation section, where it clearly makes sense. One is forced to admit, however, that the "1,2,3,4 Time to Panic" is an excellent lead for "My baby doesn't love me any more". Not sure why it is, but it is. Must be your most excellent delivery. VOTE.

The Real Sign
This starts out BIG. Small twist, although not unusual in the group - STILL time to panic, as opposed to time to panic now. Again, luck of the alphabet. Been there, done that. Will listen in reverse order next time. Again, you tie in the counting by weaving some other numbers into the lyrics - 'Three times', 'Twenty years', which has been used to good effect by others. Looking for something new here. Unfortunately, the strong start was the best part, and the song doesn't seem to deliver the pay off I've been waiting for ever since then. VOTE.

Therman
Well constructed music. Maybe one too many keyboard obscuring things occasionally, but maybe you wanted to give them something to do. Again, not sure that mentioned isolated numbers is really counting, but it's a start. There are enough changes going on to hold interest here, and it was a fun ride all the way. VOTE.

Wages
Chorus is fun, if by now familiar. remain calm, this is no time to panic. take a deep breath. yawn. Still, this chorus would support a decent song. Unfortunately, it sounds a bit like you're making the verses up as you go along. VOTE.

Who Fly
Automated bloopy synths, with a melody tinkling along. Pretty good singing for very little music to sing to. Laughed out loud at the panic/planforit rhyme. On the other hand it got old pretty fast. By the time you got to the counting and the "oh what a waste of time", I should have been paying more attention to these self-referential lyrics. In the end, the last couple of minutes were in fact, a waste of time. Always remember to listen to the lyrics. They may be trying to tell you something. VOTE.

PHEW. Don't know you you guys do this every week - and some times with twice this many! I love you, man.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening