Children's Songs Charity Compilation CD

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

jb wrote:
this includes polar bears making love, as adorable an image as that may be.
OK OK, me and my polar bears know when we're not wanted....

... I am working on another song though - it's about a lesbian anteater - I just need a line to rhyme with "...24 inch tongue..."
Calfborg
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Calfborg »

I found an instrumental I made a long time ago (about 5 years ago, I think). I'm pretty sure it was my first actual song. It's kind of repetitive, but still sounds pretty much like a kids song. I used it in a Songfight entry, but fucked it up by putting some completely horrible vocals on it, which I'd like to forget altogether. Anyway, maybe you could use it.

Escavity Gorgilinty
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

HeuristicsInc wrote:drink drank drunk always reminds me of the song from "when the grinch stole christmas" --- "stink stank stunk!"
maybe the kids too.
-bill
I personally think 'Stink Stank Stunk' is a very cool band name and would be a better 'pseudonym' than DDD - which reminded me of ADD ....

j$
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Caravan Ray wrote: ... I am working on another song though - it's about a lesbian anteater - I just need a line to rhyme with "...24 inch tongue..."
How about A new way to be well-hung
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Wow, Jim, I had no idea.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Okay, a better mix of this song may appear to usurp this song's authority, but here's my song:

http://www.15-16puzzle.com/songs/german ... tecake.mp3
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

15-16 puzzle wrote:Okay, a better mix of this song may appear to usurp this song's authority, but here's my song:

http://www.15-16puzzle.com/songs/german ... tecake.mp3
Erik: someone thinks this song is awesome! Me.

Ken

P.S. Please remix so that the cymbal doesn't hurt my ears so much.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Spud wrote:We have finished ours:

<a href="http://www.mightyoctothorpe.com/music/T ... n.mp3">The Endless Path Through the Forest of Diffusion (I Like Mud)</a>
Hey Spud,

Just taking a listen to this song and thinking that the vocals could be louder. The bass seems to be the loudest part of the mix as it is. I like it a lot though, just maybe raise the vocal level a db or two.

Be well,
Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

ken,

thanks. both blue and jb had a similar response. blue thought the accordian could come up a bit as well. the tracks have been turned over to blue for mixing.

spud
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Hmmm, I know the whole voting thing will take place on coverfight but I thought you might alll like some reviews. As it happens I like them all, so they pretty much say the same thing.

I didn't review the JoS selections - but as documented at the time, Madi's 'Martians' got my vote for inclusion so I'd probably use that one if I was asked.

# - Yes. Excellent oompah. Accordian is always a good thing and this is great. I love your 'feelgood hits' because they're totally toe-tapping while retaining just enough good oddness to make me wish I could have heard Octothorpe as a kid rather than the stuff I did listen to. I probably would be the same nutjob but I could have at least got there quicker :) I'm not sure the accordian needs to be louder, given it's playing the same riffs but the vocals wouldn't hurt to be turned up.

15-16 Puzzle - I like this a lot and it's surprisingly skate-punk-pop in tone, so it makes a nice contrast to the other stuff. At first I wasn't sure the verses were catchy enough but that chorus totally wins me over. 'Shopping list' lyrics usually turn me off, but for kids it's a good-un. Nice.

Caravan Ray (foodfight one) - Love the aussie chanting at the beginning. Cute bassline could be a little louder, perhaps. Love the breakdown chorus from 0:40. It has a little feel of an E-Z listening version of some lost Devo song, which is a good thing.

E-Money - hey, that's great! Is turd too rude a word for kids? Over here (UK) it's gone from being almost jokey to being quite a mean nasty word again. Anyhoo, good tune, like Simon & Garfunkel with a sense of humour!

JS - Cool sproingy snyth sound. That chorus is genius. I like the fact that they don't all line up - it has such a an energy. Made me think of the Monkies. What more can I say - that's reccommendation enough in my book!

DDD - Nice castinets (?) Great overall sound. A slightly wistful tone to music and lyrics which is nice, because that's a whole genre of kids' music (as i remember it) that doesn't seem to have been touched upon anywhere else. Had me involuntarily tapping my toe, which is a good thing, right?

I think my favourite (the one I'd vote for) was either Jack Shite or Octothorpe, but everything above this line should be included on the CD, along with Madi's 'Martians' and Bill's 'Attack of the Zombie Kittens' only maybe under a different name?

If I've missed your song, let me know and I'll review it. If anyone's not above, it's simply because I'm no good at spotting links in a mass of posts, not because I hate yr song or anything :)

j$
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

j$ wrote:15-16 Puzzle - I like this a lot and it's surprisingly skate-punk-pop in tone, so it makes a nice contrast to the other stuff. At first I wasn't sure the verses were catchy enough but that chorus totally wins me over. 'Shopping list' lyrics usually turn me off, but for kids it's a good-un. Nice.
What are "shopping list" lyrics?
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Oh, describing a shopping list lyric should be easy - but i'm struggling - does this make any sense? 'A lyric where each line is related to the title but there is no other, or little, thematic progression between the lines themselves.' (my definition)

I'm trying to think of a famous example. As soon as I can, I'll come back to you.

It's not a bad thing at all. It's just personal taste. It certainly wasn't meant as a major criticism of the song, if you read it that way. just expressing my own personal opinion.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

An example of "shopping list" lyrics would be Kapitano's "Goodbye Monster". It's a list of horror movie characters and other horror related things.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

"You're the Top" by Cole Porter is a famous list song

You're the top
You're the Coisseum
You're the top
You're the Louvre Museum
You're melody from a symphony by Strauss
You're a (something) bonnet
A Shakespeare sonnet
You're Mickey Mouse

You're romance
You're the steppes of Russia
You're the pants
On a Roxy usher
I'm a canceled check
A total wreck
A flop
But if baby I'm the bottom, you're the top

Future Boy's "I Don't Like Eggplant" is another list song, but I'm not going to quote it here, you can hear it yourself.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Yes, two very good examples. thanks for coming to my aid there, fellahs.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I haven't been reading much of the posts lately, but here's something I did last night and had our neices sing for their dad's birthday. Sort of specific lyrics, but fun nonetheless.

Happy Birthday Daddy
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

roymond wrote:I haven't been reading much of the posts lately, but here's something I did last night and had our neices sing for their dad's birthday. Sort of specific lyrics, but fun nonetheless.

Happy Birthday Daddy
Hehehe - I really like this. Michael should be rightly proud! Are you offering it up for poss. inclusion on the comp? It would definitely get a push from me. I like the Blockheads-ish groove and your neices have nice rap voices in a baby Le Tigre kind of way. I might have inserted an instrumental breakdown/bridge between the first 4 and last 4 chorus repeats at the end, but it seems churlish to offer critical ideas to a song that's so perfectly achieves its purpose.

j$
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

j$ wrote:Hehehe - I really like this. Michael should be rightly proud! Are you offering it up for poss. inclusion on the comp? It would definitely get a push from me. I like the Blockheads-ish groove and your neices have nice rap voices in a baby Le Tigre kind of way. I might have inserted an instrumental breakdown/bridge between the first 4 and last 4 chorus repeats at the end, but it seems churlish to offer critical ideas to a song that's so perfectly achieves its purpose.
j$
Hey, thanks. If it fits the compilation's goals, sure. They'd get a kick out of that. They're 7, 9 and 12. I've just lost track of what this thread is and whether Talk About Your Feelings is in and generally what's going on in the world. I like your suggestion, and given more than a few hours to record and produce it for them to bring a CD back to London today for his birthday, I would have done some other things, too.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

the kids are good!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

here is a new mix by Blue:

http://www.songhole.org/octo/octo-mud-02.mp3

We like this a lot. Thanks, Bllue.
Last edited by Spud on Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Not Found
The requested URL /octo/octo-mud-02.mp3 was not found on this server.

second time in 12 hours :)
-bill
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

http://www.songhole.org/octo/octo-mud-02.mp3 is what i think you meant to say, spud.