Songfighter Album-a-day Thread

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

tviyh wrote:
Kamakura wrote:Wrong character though. I think Frank'n'furter sang that one. ......... Richard O'Brien who also wrote it (and hasn't had to do a days work since)
nah, leaf was right about that particular song.
also, re: o'brien, perhaps he hasn't had to work since then but that doesn't mean he hasn't -- for example, a small part in the spice girls movie... :roll:
Wasn't he in Crystal Maze throught the 90s? (Crystal Maze-UK Television gameshow with puzzles and... stuff. It was crazy, but very very cool.)
Songfighter since back in the day.
Henrietta
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vox, Kazoo
Recording Method: None
Submitting as: Quimby, Nouveau Pauvre
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Henrietta »

Bjam wrote: Wasn't he in Crystal Maze throught the 90s?
Yup. Plus in the early 80's there was a not-even-remotely-as-successful musical movie he wrote called "Shock Treatment" featuring Brad and Janet's day to day lives trapped in television soap operas and game shows... I think I have it on vhs around here someplace... unless I sold it on Ebay... Hmmm.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

yeah.. a movie that no-one in the world would ever even have heard of or seen if it weren't for rocky horror triple feature night... (at least, around here anyway. before they closed that theatre down about six or seven years ago, they showed rocky every saturday night and a few times a year they'd have a triple feature with two other movies afterwards; a couple of times shock treatment was one of those)

(and by the way, yeah i was there almost every week for about two years why do you ask?)
Tony Asbestos
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: gtr, bs, drms, kbds
Recording Method: microphones and instruments
Submitting as: Squirrel Damage

Post by Tony Asbestos »

I ordered extra guitar strings, drums heads, etc. I have optimized my space for recording. I have the OK from the wife. And (probably Dec 27) I will be recording my AAD. Does anyone have input on a good time to wake up to do this? My current thought is Boxing Day, wake up at 7, prepare, try to sleep at 6 PM, get up around 3 AM... write for a few hours, do guitars, do drums, vocals, et cetera, mix, master, pass out. But I really want to spend 24 hours on this, Any perspectives on a good time to start?
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

Tony Asbestos wrote: Any perspectives on a good time to start?
how about midnight ?
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

It's twenty-four hours, not "one calendar day," so start whenever it seems convenient. Also "no sleeping" is encouraged but if you're not used to that sort of schedule, this might not be the best reason to try an all-nighter. (I started mine mid-afternoon and even got a normal night's sleep in the middle of it.)
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Sometime in January I am going to undertake this AAD. Maybe do a Redcar one if I can get all the members to confer over the collaboration. Anyway, gonna get all the instruments together to make it all work for the new year. I think the best way to approach it is to sleep real well the night before and have a couple of days on the back-end to work out the sleep depravation concept. Good luck Tony!!!!
Tony Asbestos
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Tony Asbestos »

20 minutes of music in 24 hours. I figure 8 songs averaging 2:30 apiece. 3 hours isn't much time to write, record, mix, and master a song. Plus doing that 8 times in a row in a possibly sleep-deproved state. I should probably listen to more of the other AADs to see the ranges in quality. Can anyone suggest a couple standouts- AADs that are really good? Oh, and I don't own posting space- what's a good way to get 20 mb that's accessible?
feldspar
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Mostly gin

Post by feldspar »

Tony Asbestos wrote:Can anyone suggest a couple standouts- AADs that are really good?
'Fake Mars' by Tom7
'Examine Machines and Enrich' by Tom7
and most of the songfighters' albums are pretty good. King Arthur's, blue lang's, starfinger's, Feldspar... they're all good.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

Tony Asbestos wrote:Can anyone suggest a couple standouts- AADs that are really good?
C Hack's. 24 songs in 24 hours. C Hack is already the most tired sounding man on the planet; wait till you here him after 22 hours. This is the album I listen to when I have to stay up all night doing homework. It gets me through.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Hey, Tony. Quit worrying and do it.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Generic wrote:Quit worrying and do it.
Yeah, because writing and recording 20 minutes worth of music in 24 hours is easy compared to having four months to record a song that someone else wrote.
Tony Asbestos
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Tony Asbestos »

My worrying has ceased.
Guitars are tuned, etc. I will sleep now and awake to 24 hours of glorious recording. Thanks to all for the help.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

15-16 puzzle wrote:
Yeah, because writing and recording 20 minutes worth of music in 24 hours is easy compared to having four months to record a song that someone else wrote.
Burn.
Tony Asbestos
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Tony Asbestos »

I did it. Whoa. I am in no state to assess it, but it seems pretty cool for someone on serious sleep deprivation. I will post it if it sounds decent in the morning.
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

congratulslzsations.

-craig
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

15-16 puzzle wrote:
One of these, I've done. Twice.

(The other I've done once, but who's counting)
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

I'm counting.

15:18 is not twenty minutes worth of music.

Finishing one song for a cover fight doesn't mean you never have to complete an obligation ever again.
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

Am thinking of doing my 3rd AAD tomorrow night after work and into the last day of the year...
Just wondering if anyone else is thinking of doing 1 more AAD before the year is over?

Also don’t forget if you need a cool way to display your AAD from your web site,
You can always use my flash AAD player.
http://adserver.blaststream.com/ac/apps/aad_player/

Proud Member of A.O.S.P.P.S.C.I.R.S.F.A.T.E.O.A.P
Association of Stupid people putting stupid Comments in really small font, at the end of a post.
Calfborg
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Calfborg »

I recently completed a noise album for this [Tromein | 8 tracks | 78:56]. Pumpkin Buzzard also rocked out an album in about 6 hours [American Jellyfish | 10 tracks | 20:12]. I don't have the sites up for them yet, though.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

Tony Asbestos wrote:I will post it if it sounds decent in the morning.
I guess it didn't. :(
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Calfborg wrote:I recently completed a noise album for this [Tromein | 8 tracks | 78:56]. Pumpkin Buzzard also rocked out an album in about 6 hours [American Jellyfish | 10 tracks | 20:12]. I don't have the sites up for them yet, though.
I'm curious to hear the Pumpkin Buzzard one. When you all get together, the results are usually out of this world.