IMO. Written as I listen. Being extra-tough this week, because the line between tasteless / worthybutdull is a very thin one, and the title deserves good stuff ...
- nice Baez feel. Shame the vocal isn't louder in the mix though the guitar is played well enough, it just isn'ty interesting enough to support the dominant place in the mix. Or rather I would love to hear this re-balanced, maybe with a little hand percussion here and there. I read the lyric in the archive once over and the meaning didn't jump out at me straight away, so I can only judge it on the tune and the way the words fit it, and on that, I like!
- I find the lyric really annoying, for some reason. Sorry to play the gay man card, but I find songs that use gay actions as a form of detriment slightly offensive (like 'Boy, don't get tired / The limo driver's got dibs on you next" and by extension the rest of the song with all its sucking and fucking). I know that wasn't your intention (or at least assume it was - I have no reason to think otherwise) but it's a bitter side-taste all the same (as it were) ...just a heads up - anyway also creepy not in a good way is 'policy of rape' song over that jazz-funk bit - it's a good song, maybe a lot of music in place of a catchy melody. I mean it's not bad, it's impressive production wise, but I don't feel it. Sorry.
- Yay! Welcome back Dan. Nice drum programming and cello sample - this is slightly sad and bitter in an unreliable narrator in the witness stand feel to it on the main part. The revelation section at the end is unneccassary i think. If this was arranged up as an agular new wave 80s band sound it would be awesome. I like. Really interesting
SECOND LISTEN:Hey Dan, you know I can now totally hear Chicks on Speed doing an electroclash version of this. Just a thought ... this one grows and grows on me
Future Boy (featuring Johnny Cashpoint)
- oh wow. Good Cashpoint lyric (i think) saved musically by Future Boy. I hadn't heard this since I turned over the original crappy tracks to Mr Boy on Friday night. That is such good work. I mean really. I should really post the original demo so you can hear how different and how much better this is, maybe at the end of the week. Wow. Thanks!
- I love you. Obviously one can argue that although your lyrics always have meaning to you, they come across as a little meaningless on first listen, and therefore you are at the same time the worst and the best person to write a song for a title like this. CONTENDER
Seoup T. Gei
- Great great music and voice. Really my kind of music there, maybe a little bit 'King of Pain' for my tastes but if it was a bit rougher round the edges it would be perfect. I haven't read the lyric yet but it sounds like a bit of a cop-out to use rape as a metaphor? I know, I know, that's just a personal thing on my part, but hey that's what recviews are, I guess. great music though. CONTENDER.
Puce / SWS
- who let Depeche Mode into the building? And then got Linkin Park to kick them out? I would like to read deeper into the cases you quote - do you have any links to hand? No problem if not, I can google. I just wonder these two teenagers - it's a different story if they're 15/14 or 19/12 if you see what I mean ... ummmm, I love your voice, the production is great, but dare I say, slightly pompous? I think this lyric would suit a much more downbeat interpretation musically .. but having said all that, it couldn't be more pompous than me, so what do I know?
- was your thrash metal guitarist on holiday or something? This is crying out for heavy thonk guitar. not bad production at all, but the singer is just slightly out of tune occasionally and on this sparse track it notices more than it would normally. Also a personal thing - I find deep growly sub-shouting like this not appealing. Just about the right length though. Okay.
Hmmmm a pretty good fight, actually. Nothing there I wouldn't listen to again and a lot lot better than I feared it might be given such a difficult title. I am going to vote for Gyte
again or maybe for what Future Boy
did to me
in the vain hope that Puce / SWS and 8LO will cancel each other out in the voting allowing an outsider to traipse through and limp over the finish line ...
"Thumpy. Robotic. British." (Martyr)