Expect gratification (Here Comes the Feeling reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Expect gratification (Here Comes the Feeling reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Place your reviews here folks!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Re: Expect gratification (Here Comes the Feeling reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Place your songs' lyrics here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12364
Aciniform Artifice
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Aciniform Artifice »

Hello Citizens of Song Fight! I’ve listened to your songs and now here are some words you may choose to read if you want to.

CHURCH: Based on the name, I was all set to expect either The Church or CHRCH, but instead I was surprised to get Red Ryder.

Johnny Cashpoint: My favorite part is the slightly wavery, old-timey sounding piano in the intro and outro (and just barely audible in between). I also enjoyed how some of the parts sound distorted like they came from an old photograph record, although the contrast between this and some of the very clean-sounding parts (like the, I’m guessing, nylon-string guitar) is kind of jarring.

Lichen Throat: Judging by the spoken introduction I’m guessing this is supposed to represent shallow and somewhat puerile poetry, so... mission accomplished?

Paco del Stinko: There’s quite a bit going on here. I don’t know what it is about this title that seems to have encouraged so much… busyness in everyone’s songs so far. I enjoyed the ending here, especially the lead guitar tone that hops in at around 2:32 (enjoyed the sound of that part more than that of the solo from 2:01-2:13).

Pigfarmer Jr: An interesting juxtaposition: that pseudo-gritty “Bang a Gong” guitar sound along with those vocals, which admittedly aren’t that far off from the glam rock style or the proto-punk style with a bit of a nod back to the early 60s, except here it has such a clean and modern, almost pop-punk style, production quality. Ultimately it works as some sort of multigenerational hybrid.

Swampy Nethers: One of the cardinal rules from the songwriters’ rule book, if you’re going to come up with a couple super-cheesy rhymes and repeat them throughout your song, include a disclaimer at the beginning pretending you’re writing poetry to submit to the high school newspaper. (This callback only makes sense if you’ve listened to your fellow competitors.)

WreckdoM: I really like the sound of most of the guitars here, although they sure are loud compared to everything else. Wish they didn’t hide the vocals quite so much in some places, but wish they did hide the drums a little more in some places.

Yaks of the Industry: All of a sudden it’s 1981 and the biggest hits on the radio are “Arthur’s Theme” and “Theme from Greatest American Hero” and then whatever movie or TV show this version of “Here Comes the Feeling” was the theme song for. Eh, no sense trying to generate a false sense of suspense this week... (vote)

Thanks.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Quick comments. Nothing to cry about in here, I don't think. So don't cry, then!

CHURCH - Great dance groove right out into the stadium for the crowd chant. Great production, balanced, easy to hear and huge. Love how clean it is. Could fit in a wacky teen sci-fi comedy soundtrack. Easy fun.

Johnny Cashpoint - An easy melody Rickety yet not, darker lyrics over a very good looping rhythm. Edge of sanity and rickety at times. I'd like to witness this in a small nightclub that I might be scared to return to someday. I like this a lot, but yeah gettin' gonzo, man. Standout.

Lichen Throat - Very new wave all around. Good melodies, easy and on track, vocals sound good. Vocals get a bit lost in the bridge, to me. Would love to hear them go higher. Something slightly cutting, instrumentally, at points in the song might cut through some of the lower end and occasionally coldish sections. Another to add to my future Paco Butchers Lichen Throat covers album. Heh.

Paco del Stinko - The main guitars are a baritone and a 12 string, lead stuff on a six string, amped. Could use some spiffin'.

Pigfarmer Jr - Peelin' out in a muscle car, call BLT, stat! I'm all aboard this chunky meat and potatoes powerhouse, the chorus blows it out of the water. Good punch in the noser, although the narrator is the one getting it. Rock.

Swampy Nethers - Easy and memorable, hook line works esp. well. A little airy, but mostly grounded vibe, the minor key feel fits it well. The bridge feels demo-ish, but the footprint works well enough. Pleasant key filled pop. Works for me!

WreckdoM - Metal with a Skynard out in the barn feel, very dark. The bridge gets heady, lifting out of the sludgier areas nicely. I think where this starts to go near the end is the better part, less gloomy. Heavy with the heady part: oh yes. Good riffage!

Yaks of the Industry - Love that start. ELO bettered. Smart progressions with smart melodies are great right before the comfortable TV show theme. Like, this was used for it versus written for. Super production, dense but not overpowering. Tasty layers and juicy bits make this a delightful Song Meal. Thanks, and enjoy the win!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Yaks win! (Again?!)