Hammered Dulcimers can have well over 100 strings (Have Fun With That reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Hammered Dulcimers can have well over 100 strings (Have Fun With That reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

So good luck tuning the damned things.
Last edited by Lunkhead on Mon May 01, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Hammered Dulcimers can have well over 100 strings (Have Fun With That revies)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Re: Hammered Dulcimers can have well over 100 strings (Have Fun With That reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
NorthwestStatic
A New Player
Submitting as: Northwest Static

Re: Hammered Dulcimers can have well over 100 strings (Have Fun With That reviews)

Post by NorthwestStatic »

Hi!

Berkeley Social Scene
Good garage sound. Within this kind of sonic landscape I prefer the texture created by the more artistically imperfect vocal performances over the extremely pitch corrected ones. Love the octave pedal and pickup switch work in the solo.

Johnny Cashpoint
Maybe this tone is what you’re aiming for, but maybe experiment with using an amp simulator like Amped Roots Free (https://ml-sound-lab.com/products/amped-roots) for distortion instead of using gain-based digital clipping. I feel like that could take everything up a notch in listenability and vocal clarity without dramatically altering your process.

Max Bombast
Great musicianship. High production quality. Funny lyrics. Don’t feel qualified to critique anything because you’re better than I am at everything. Take my vote.

Northwest Static
Put the song together while streaming on Twitch. Published the stream highlights on YouTube: https://youtu.be/SEqiiwc1WGI

Yaks of the Industry
I’m convinced you are a young David Byrne who has successfully traveled through time directly from 1980, and the only evidence I have which would suggest otherwise is that you are a better vocalist. The satirical lyrics are funny. If they aren’t satirical, that’s equally funny to me, but for different reasons. Change nothing.
Aciniform Artifice
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Aciniform Artifice »

Some first-listen off-the-cuff remarks about this week's songs.

Berkeley Social Scene: Guitar tone in the intro felt like it was headed in an "Anarchy in the UK" direction but then it turned into more of a garage punk re-re-revival. Could have gone for it even more on the vocals. Please don't ask me "gone for what?"; I don't really know for sure.

Johnny Cashpoint: Felt like this one was just getting going, had just ridden through the city's back sides, and was all ready to see the stars come out tonight, when it unexpectedly cut short. Leave them wanting more, I guess. VOTE

Max Bombast: In one of the newer Mario games, this is the music they would use in a beach level with a bunch of giant crabs scuttling around. Except for that heavyish bassline which is my favorite part of this entry. VOTE

Northwest Static: I absolutely hate this specific vocal effect, but I must be in the minority considering how prevalent it is throughout contemporary pop music right now. Parts of this song remind me of Bad Lip Reading's "Bushes of Love," because it seems like it may have been intended as a tongue-in-cheek humorous take, but it also sort of straddles that line into genuine banger territory.

Yaks of the Industry: The song is fun, in an Oingo Boingo kind of way, although the lyrics are so specific and topical -- this could actually have some staying power with a slightly less niche subject matter.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

The Yaks win again!