glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

SpinTunes 21 Round 4 Challenge- 'Once is Enough'

Post by glennny »

ST21 Final Round Challenge
The Final Round has arrived; with it comes SpinTunes 21's toughest challenge yet. You've proven your ability to choose words carefully; now that's more important than ever. We face an extreme lyrical constraint - hard but not impossible, as I'm abiding by said rule right here in this very preamble. Read on for details:

Once Is Enough: Write and record a song with lyrics. If a word appears in your lyrics, it may not be repeated in your lyrics. Each word in your song may only be used once.
Exceptions are granted for the following words, which are the only words that may be repeated: a, an, are, is, the, to, was, were.
Words that are spelled the same but pronounced differently (e.g. wind /ˈwɪnd/ and wind /waɪnd/) are considered different words.
Words that are pronounced the same but spelled differently (e.g. time and thyme) are considered different words.
Words that are pronounced and spelled the same are considered the same word and may not be repeated, even if they are different parts of speech (e.g. "sit a spell and spell your name" is not allowed).
Inflectional forms are considered different words (e.g. run, runs, running, runner, ran), as long as they are spelled and/or pronounced differently.
The results of the Final Round are determined by a vote of all SpinTunes 21 contestants, except for those competing in the Final Round themselves.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
glennny
Jump

Re: SpinTunes 21 Round 4 Challenge- 'Once is Enough'

Post by glennny »

Use your word frequency counter.

http://www.writewords.org.uk/word_count.asp
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

mean and sound the same but spelled differently?

An English colour grey
The American color gray

Prince would die 4 U
prints wood dye for you
Siebass
A New Player
Submitting as: Siebass
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Siebass »

ST21 – R4 - Siebass' Reviews

Well, you can tell this is the final, some killer songs here!

Review Disclaimer: I didn’t say anything mean or really constructive this time, so I’m cutting the disclaimer, so HA!.

1. Stacking Theory - Goodbye Baby 02:48 – Man I really love this, I really love when the drums come in, silver throat’s a f*cking joke. Rhyming away with way works here. Love the acoustic strumming prominent in the last half. Really beautiful song, collapsing wave, holding on to last minute imagery really great. I really enjoyed this. I give extra points in my mind to songs that convey any emotion, and you really captured some anger, frustration, sadness here well.

2.Hot Pink Halo - Mimeograph 03:00 I like the tones of the piano and the bass, very beautiful. Good contrast of the you are/I am/We were; I really love this lyrical patterning for the ditto machine and mimeograph. The halting piano melody in the first verse or two throws me off a bit, but perhaps it’s on purpose. I enjoyed all of the little percussive notes throughout with the shaker and tambo, and a nice “chorus” melody on the you are/I am/We were. Lovely piano playing on the outro as well. Vinyl effect? Nice touch.

3.Tunes By LJ - Watermelon 01:53 – I always say “smooth” whenever it’s a Tunes by LJ track, vocal double, fat bass, electric piano/rhodes? Underneath the Rhodes indeed. Some powerful imagery of pointing your face at the sky praying it doesn’t fall to pieces, I think I’m not getting the larger metaphor from just listening, and looking for the connection to Watermelon; haven’t checked the notes yet. Huzzah for cello. Without notes, I read a bunch of interesting apocalyptic metaphors of fallen or buried civilizations and the apocalypse with burning lights falling down, exploding, faith, getting right with God, water to wine, etc. Lovely track. (checks notes; there are no notes, leaving me to ponder was this all just some big allusion to the lines, outsides, and insides of a watermelon…?)

4.The Dutch Widows - Finish On A High 03:58 – Chunky doubled guitars are always my jam, as you may know by now, great start. Doubled vocal works, slidey fat bass. Spongy brained yet alive is a great lyric. Nice layered arpeggiated guitar (or vst harpsichord? Something plucky). Brutal imagery of a sliding away mind. Like the plucky melody in second verse, and those backing vocals are truly haunting, in a great way. Drums not too prominent but well compliment. Capable and able theoretically/selecting an end point secretly carefully was a nice couplet too, hinting at the point (I try to listen without notes to see what I get, but I think I peeked these during the listening party). I’m a sucker for a guitar solo, happy to have a short one here. Death comes too gradual to the wretched is also a great line. Another nice solo. What sticks with me after this song are the guitar tones and the haunting vocal, this was well done and with a clear message too. Upon rereading the notes, the song stands on its own without them, which is also a good sign. Really solid song.

5.GFS - Belated Eulogy (SHADOW) 02:15 – Lot of musing on death this round, and continuing. Ethereal backing ooos to start with the bells. Very light, nice drums, I dig the vocal melody. Dagger line the service was brief for the few people there. Chorus vocals all coming in hit hard. Never a thought to be kind is powerful. Same with died before anyone said, death can bring someone to life. Lyrical powerhouse in this song. A great exploration of how death can bring out other sides of people we never considered. Nice sigh to have the emotional hook as well, well polished hits hard and gets out. Great song. I just read the notes, and wow, well you conveyed what you wanted for sure without the notes, really strong song.

6.Jim Tyrrell - A Word (SHADOW) 03:24 – I thought this was Tunes by LJ at the start, really great choices of the drum/percussion, electric piano/rhodes, clean jazzy bass. Spoken word over top really works. I liked when the drums came in in full. Crows murderous refrain is nice double meaning, christmas resembling halloween. Lacking moral compasses but heading towards the top. This one is also a lyrical powerhouse. Tons of powerful imagery of people and places falling into disrepair. and clever turns of phrase here. This is a dark groove. Vaping final breaths. Exploration of the general malaise of humanity in 2023. Honestly the only part that felt a little out of place was the last stanza, with the report to human resources, we hope to have a word. I like the last two line on it’s own, but something feels incongruous with the rest of the imagery in context, though it could just be me not making the appropriate connection in my brain. Overall really great, and I really enjoyed this.

7.Micah Sommersmith - Indistinguishable (SHADOW) 02:16 First Micah song I’ve had the chance to review since this is only my second spintunes. Firstly, I’m super impressed you managed to repeat ZERO words, not even the allowed ones. Tons of internal rhyme and assonance here as well with muffled murmurs, ghostly groans, constant creaking, and the best figure follows furtively footstepss faintly fall finally find line. Imagery of dark horror, imprisonment or insanity, or grappling with the inner demons of oneself. Nice piano tone and vocal on this stripped down and a bit ominous. I enjoyed when the piano picked up for the second half of the song.

In terms of form, this feels like a poem that can be read forward and backwards, but not sure if that was the intent, but I think it works each line in order both forwards and backwards.

8.Siebass - Shin Spoons (SHADOW) 02:46 – It me. I had fun, I hope some of you were tickled.

Figuring out Pannacotta’s guitar line was HARD, as was attempting and failing to figure out Sober’s fire picking. I punted on the piano bits as well, but I don’t know how to play piano, so I hope the approximation was enough, and I think I got Nightingale’s harp line right. Really I just needed more of HPH’s chorus from round 2. SSSS, SSSS Spintunes~
Siebass
A New Player
Submitting as: Siebass

Post by Siebass »

Bonus review extra round 3 shadow

18.▷ - B&Y (SHADOW) 02:20 - Jouncy, bouncy, fun sounds here, clearly you enjoyed making this. I enjoyed the vocal treatments/distortions of the chorus of vocals in the intro.

Insane, weird, delightful, off-kilter tune here. I hope you had a lot of fun making this as it sounds like you did. Fun sweeps and punchy around.

Spoken bit is tops, why be black and white when you can be blue and yellow. Great work, too bad you couldn't get this on the listening party.

Very meta on the second drop, fun and catchy tune here, drake, well done!
TunesByLJ
A New Player
Submitting as: Tunes By LJ

Post by TunesByLJ »

Dutch Widows
This was my early favorite for sure. I think your lyrics were by far the most impressive - partly due to the impressive length of the song and sheer number of unrepeated words, but also with how well they told the story. Didn’t feel like you were compromising at any point. The music on this one is fairly simple but effective. As a whole it feels very well put together.

Stacking Theory
You are so good at making textured layers of sound, particularly with your voice. The hook on this is so melodically satisfying, literally gave me goosebumps. The rhythmic pump of the guitar and snare together helps propel things forward but maybe felt a little too driving at times. As much as I love that descending harmony “silver throats a fucking joke” - seriously good stuff - this song’s best moments are its quieter ones. So tender and deliberate. Really nice song!

Hot Pink Halo
This one took a few listens for me to warm up to. I think the lack of resolution in the melody and chord progression had me feeling a little impatient and looking for a foothold. Over time though I’ve come to appreciate that as a deliberate choice. It has a sort of unsettling quality about it, and I realize just how difficult that must have been to write - I’ve never tried to do something like this. Piano work throughout is very, very good!!

Tunes By LJ
I’ve been going back and forth on whether to share more details about this one, as I’ve seen some folks express confusion about the lyrics or message. I originally had a song bio but scrapped it last minute. I decided to keep it pretty vague so as not to alienate anyone or bring the world’s horrors into this delightful community. It’s all written from a place of love and empathy for the innocent people suffering. https://time.com/6326312/watermelon-pal ... olidarity/