A parade, or a marathon?! (A Grand Parade reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
arby
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Omnichord, vocals
Recording Method: ZOOM, GarageBand
Submitting as: Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost, Virgo Power
Pronouns: she/her

Re: A parade, or a marathon?! (A Grand Parade reviews)

Post by arby »

Lunkhead wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:48 pm
Songs posted! 93 of them at this time.
amazing - i see them!! so happy to be a part of this, guys. will test the "Download All" button tomorrow ;)
"That organ is piercing my soul" - Adam Adamant
"Lo-fi doom rock isn't my bag at all. I'm trying to imagine this with professional production and played/sung perfectly and I don't think I'd like it much more." - furrypedro
arby
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Omnichord, vocals
Recording Method: ZOOM, GarageBand
Submitting as: Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost, Virgo Power

Post by arby »

ps please someone submit 7 more...
"That organ is piercing my soul" - Adam Adamant
"Lo-fi doom rock isn't my bag at all. I'm trying to imagine this with professional production and played/sung perfectly and I don't think I'd like it much more." - furrypedro
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Hmm the download link is giving me a "HTTP ERROR 500", is this just a load thing or is it broken?
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:31 am
Hmm the download link is giving me a "HTTP ERROR 500", is this just a load thing or is it broken?
I get the same error, a most unhelpful one that means something went wrong, but no one knows what.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

As a work around, I've been using the SF Jukebox to listen: https://sfjukebox.org/
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man

Post by AJOwens »

arby wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:34 pm
I think I can come up with another one within the next day or two. I already have a sketch for the chorus. We're so close! Can we find six more?
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl

Post by owl »

Life got in the way and I didn't manage to work on this till about 11:30 PM last night, but I finally managed to submit a late entry that Fightmaster said should be up later today after his day of meetings!
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Some/many things may not work right due to the number of songs. I was worried the "download" link wouldn't work. I'm guessing it's probably taking so long to zip up all the files that the request times out or something. I won't have time to look into that till tonight at the earliest.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Yeah that would be the cause of the “download all” error 500. I can see about fixing or at least mitigating that.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

let's just make a zip and stick it in the folder and link to it rather than generating on the fly
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

micosaudad wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:56 pm
I'm now listening to the full stream, and Sober's song is destroying me. Yeah I think Sober gets a vote.
That song is a monument.
That’s incredibly kind. I really didn’t feel good about it when I hit send, and I’m still not sure. It’s definitely a love song to this community, for what little it’s worth ❤️
🤠
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I confess I threw together the download think very hastily. I mostly wanted it to be something where I wouldn't have to add it to the list of instructions for both posting the songs and adding late songs. I tried to get it to just make the zip file once and reuse it but I hit issues and gave up. So, it makes a new zip file every time. For normal sized fights, that was working ok. I was cleaning up the files every time I was posting a site, which was a quick step. I should probably have just made it something where I could hit an admin page to generate/update the zip file for the fight on demand. But I hadn't gotten around to that yet.
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man

Post by AJOwens »

AJOwens wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:25 am
arby wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:34 pm
I think I can come up with another one within the next day or two. I already have a sketch for the chorus. We're so close! Can we find six more?
I just dropped some fresh lyrics in Ye Olde Lyric Marte. I also have music, so I'll try to knock together a lo-fi recording.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

jb wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:07 am
let's just make a zip and stick it in the folder and link to it rather than generating on the fly
That's what I was going to do yeah
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

It's like Wrestlemania! (nice job to everyone!)
Hi!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

fluffy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:20 pm
jb wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:07 am
That's what I was going to do yeah
That's what I did and then I found an even better way to do it, so "download fight" should work again.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Thanks fluffy!
bambamoozle
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: John Kloberdanz, Gizmo Blacksmith, Levittdown, Cloverdance, Rod The Bunman
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by bambamoozle »

micosaudad wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:56 pm

I'm now listening to the full stream, and Sober's song is destroying me. Yeah I think Sober gets a vote.
That song is a monument.
Between the listening party on Monday night and my own meanderings I'm about halfway through, and I saw this post and jumped to sober's song. It is truly golden. It achieved something that no other songfight song has ever done, it made me look at myself differently. Positively Westerbergian, PW is the king of making me look differently at myself in song, and there is no higher compliment from me.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

All of these are in the order I listened to them, which was based on a shuffled playlist. As usual my brain is broken when it comes to actually comprehending lyrics so I'm sorry for missing out on whatever deep and meaningful thing you had to say.

I'm gonna do this in batches. Here's my first batch.

Dr. Spectacular's Power Circus: This is a pretty great rock song that would be right at home on the hard rock station I listened to for much of the 90s.

Henrietta20: I love the chill/easygoing feeling here that slowly builds up over the course of the song.

Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost: The clumsy garage lo-fi rock thing works pretty well here. Is this song about how the righteous ghost became the righteous ghost? Coulda probably done with being a tad shorter.

Miss Fancy Pants: And this one was too short and I missed it becuase I got distracted! This one's pretty cool, I feel like I'm at a renfaire or something.

Sober: Man your production has gotten so good. But you're also, like, an actual professional at this stuff, so that makes sense. I love the mandolin and this entire genre of music, and I'd totally buy an album of this. When are you putting out an album, Jimmy? Have you put one out and I somehow missed it?

Tiny Robots: This would be the intriguing song that plays on the jukebox in the background of an indie romance film, where it takes place in a smoky bar in some town portrayed by Vancouver while everyone drinks Heineken. The band that stands on stage looks nothing like the actual band and they're lipsyncing badly while the drummer just sits there, because the cinematographer doesn't know how to make the drum sounds bleed into the boom microphone they're borrowing from the community college, and the editor hasn't yet taken the class on ADR. Twenty years later, a dozen podcasts try to figure out the origins of this obscure song playing in the background of what is now a cult classic for all the wrong reasons, and eventually someone determines that it was a secret project of Fleetwood Mac, because one blog posted that as speculation at one point and somehow that "fact" made its way to Wikipedia. Anyway it's pretty good.

Okay the above ordering was actually based on iTunes picking up on the track number that some entries had in their id3 tags, but I have now addressed that and the remainder of my listening time is indeed shuffled.

Spy vs. Pie: I like the friendly vibe you're going with on this, although a bit more polish on the vocals and mixing would have been nice to hear. Doesn't have to be radio ready or anything, but in its current state it's a bit hard to listen to, which is a shame because what's there feels like the basis of a fun song.

Jerkatorium: During the listening party someone said this was doing the TMBG vibes and I must concur, that is something y'all always do a good job of. I kind of hear a bit of a Jon Coulton vibe too. At least musically. The lyrics don't have enough wordplay for it to be a TMBG song. But it definitely has the right amount of wordplay to be a Jerkatorium song.

Jim Tyrrell: Really loving that chord progression, really want to hear some harmonizing during the choruses. Good buildup of musical layers as the song progresses.

Stacking Theory: Oh wow that intro. Well, the intro to the intro. I feel like the full instrumentation should have kicked in a lot sooner. But when it does, it's so good! And then it's over so quickly. Sadness.

Frankie Big Face: This is one of those songs which sounds super familiar but I can't place it. Very 90s alt-rock vibes to it. I'm also a sucker for those scale runs, and the vocal harmonizing. Were those intentional Song Fight title references for 1000 words and swords?

Sell Crazy: Oh my there is a lot of sound in that mix. The drums over-relying on crash cymbals from all directions is kinda driving me nuts. But ignoring that this is a pretty solid track. Nothing blows me away but this would be the mystery song in the background of a scene in a biker bar in an early-00s prestige TV show.

Yaks of the Industry: 2010s electropop anthem that evokes 1980s nu-wave rock. I dig it. It also feels like a good stopping point for this batch of reviews. Imagine at the end of this song a big "INTERMISSION" title card pops up.

(Also probably for the best as the next song on my playlist is JBB and I don't want too much JB saturation all at once, I don't think my spleen can take it.)
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

owl wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:26 am
Life got in the way and I didn't manage to work on this till about 11:30 PM last night, but I finally managed to submit a late entry that Fightmaster said should be up later today after his day of meetings!
This song has been added to the fight.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl

Post by owl »

Lunkhead wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:21 pm
owl wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:26 am
This song has been added to the fight.
Thanks Sam!
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Sober: Fuckin a what a great song dude. Maine seems to be good for your soul and muse.
Hi!