A parade, or a marathon?! (A Grand Parade reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: A parade, or a marathon?! (A Grand Parade reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Sober wins! Well deserved, IMHO. But everybody did a great job and it was so amazing to see folks rally together and generate this impressive body of work to celebrate title 1000. Thank you all so much!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Congratz, Sober. I liked your song. Bragging rights are extra special this time.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Good job Sober. A big one to win. And well deserved.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Congrats Sober!
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

What the hell? Truly can't believe it.

It's been amazing to see old familiar faces around, and to hear your voices again. Don't be a stranger! Join us in Discord - both the Songfight and Spintunes discords are great places to chat.

Love you all.
🤠
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

This time around the Jerks are joined by the unofficial SongFight historian Niveous in an epic 6+ hour podcast!

Some deets: INDEX
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

You folks are a glutton for punishment. Thanks for taking the time to do this. It might take me a while to get through all of your reviews but I'm very interested in hearing how y'all took things.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Whoa, impressive stuff!

Interesting that you're not the only reviewers to focus on the drums in my song. I used two loops from an old drum machine, I have no info on what the sounds are.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Gosh. Wow. Chumpy, Ryan & Niv. Heroes.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Oh, I’ve just listened to my bit now (don’t worry, I will go back and listen to the whole 6+ hours; you deserve it), and you said such nice things! Thank you.

None of you asked, but I’ll say where my song came from anyway. When I’m stuck for an idea I’ve taken to searching in the large Australian art gallery catalogues, and when I did that this time I found a cool linocut print by Franki Sparke and John Pratt. They were both quite difficult to find more information on, but I eventually found Franki’s website and fell in love with this zine, How To Look At Art. My song is basically just a list describing those two artworks.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Chumpy wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:07 pm
This time around the Jerks are joined by the unofficial SongFight historian Niveous in an epic 6+ hour podcast!
Slow Clap

Looking forward to listening on many commutes to work. Well done guys!
slyeli
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Ableton Live, Mackie Onyx 1620, Rode K2, Orange Tiny Terror
Submitting as: Sly Eli

Post by slyeli »

Chumpy wrote:
This is great. I'm about an hour in and I'm in awe that you all still have interesting things to say about the songs.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Chumpy wrote:
[*]01:25:52 - frankie big face
Well damn, you guys are so very kind. I have definitely never been accused of attributed to having excellent production before - I usually fuck up somewhere along the way. But I accept your label of "legend" and will wear it as a badge of honor. It has been a long time since I made a song and I was pretty happy with this one. Glad it resonated (mostly) with the three of you. Congrats on your ridiculously long review podcast!
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl

Post by owl »

God bless you, Niv, for knowing exactly what I was going for :D
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Oh gosh I missed that there was this whole podcast.
Chumpy wrote:
[*]00:25:59 - another future of music
[*]03:44:02 - one future of music
I'm glad nobody on the podcast enjoyed these songs because the whole point to them is just how awful they are and I was hoping that neither of these would do well at all. It's disheartening that they got more votes than my actual entries. I kind of regret even submitting them but I really wanted to get us to 100. They are literally filler and the artist names were meant to be deeply sarcastic.
[*]01:18:01 - entropic pincushion
A totally fair review. It actually didn't take me all that long to do, and I am totally fine with it being skipped. (Longer than the review took but not by all that much.) I was hoping that the result would have been more of a sonic progression from "shitty lo-fi stuff" to "clean modern stuff" and the experiment just didn't work out, and that's okay. Ultimately it's just another blip in a 25-year history.
[*]02:42:16 - less than three
I'm cracking up at Niveous here. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Despite your need to be a grimy old rocker. Like all <3 songs this one's only happy and bubbly on the surface and it's really about the singer's spiraling anxiety and agoraphobia.
[*]04:03:28 - pringle can
This song had absolutely nothing to do with Frontalot or indignancy thereof, and I wrote plenty about the motivation behind Pringle Can (both historically and on this particular song) elsewhere in the thread. The Squirrel Nut Zippers angle isn't something I considered but it sure would have worked better!
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Abjure! — this is a song about a brothel called “A Grand Parade” where every kink is ok.

The JBB — this is a song about music industry winners and losers

Shark Tornado — this is about the return from prison of Alfie MacGregor, the step-cousin of MacGregor the Songsmith, one of the members of Shark Tornado. It seems their penchant for l'amour de la chèvre runs in the family.

Yaks — this is about Song Fight! Live! Atlanta
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Henrietta
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vox, Kazoo
Recording Method: None
Submitting as: Quimby, Nouveau Pauvre

Post by Henrietta »

Abjure!:This is delightful. I enjoyed how the vocals fill everything out so nicely that the uke needs nothing else. That said, it could be a nice touch to swap out a vocal section for a twee instrumental interlude or similar.

Abominominous: This is fantastic. I enjoyed how well the instrumentation, tones, and vocals gel together. Glad to see you here.

Add: I'm gonna shut up and listen. Next, I'll google John Quincy Adams. I enjoy your music very much. Voted.

Agony Sauce: I enjoyed this, it seems to arrive from the universe. I like the bass and organ. And yes I was still there. :)

All The Robots: Such a great performance. My initial thought was ok, this is gonna be a Masochism Tango. But no, this is completely its own goodness with memorable lines that continue to grow on me with repeated listens. I regret not voting for this one earlier.

Another Future of Music: Each day, my tweens and I grapple for control of the car radio. They enjoy this style, it blends nicely with their usual choices. <strong bad> It’s over! </strong bad>

Balance Lost: I would buy the album, I enjoy your music very much. Voted.

Basket Robbers: I really like the strong chorus and the bridge too. Sounds great.

Berkeley Social Scene: This made me smile, super fun energy. Fantastic lyrics and chorus.

bgm: Flawlessly understated. Fantastic buildup. I enjoyed this very much, excellent track.

Bjam: Beautiful and sweet. My kids are older now, excuse me for a minute, while I step out for a good old fashioned nostalgic cry.

Brian F: Great energy. I enjoyed this very much. I like after the bridge it grows more unpredictable, like, don’t get too comfortable with these hooks because there is more to this ride.
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

Jefff wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:57 pm
I (always) love Future Boy's moral clarity, which merits more engagement than googling and pulling quotes from Wikipedia.
Thank you, this is very kind. I also really enjoyed how you tackled American history.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Chumpy wrote:

[*]00:46:54 - caravan ray
Nice work boys.

"Orange Crush" by REM. OMG. How embarrassment!

I love REM and you are 100% correct. A bone fide unintentional plagiarism. It's almost a bad cover version. I can't believe I didn't notice that myself. That's what happens when old musicians memories start to go.

I'm now starting to wonder if my new song "Janey Pepper's Only Dart's Club Band" may be drawing on something I heard in my youth...
jeffhenderson
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jeffhenderson »

Welp, life got too busy for me to finish all my reviews. I figured it’s better to post the ones I have. Sorry to everyone I missed.

Abjure!:
Like the harmonies. Nice chord changes in the last half of the chorus.

Abominominous:
Digging the guitar work. Great rhythm in the vocal delivery, which works well with the internal rhyming you have going on (“you know the dudes I’m alluding to”). When you get to the second verse, I’m really liking the verses. Ooh cool breakdown after the second verse. It’s a rock song that makes you want to dance! VOTE

Add:
The verses have a melody that works really well with the musical tradition you’re invoking, without sounding derivative. Cool chord changes in the chorus. Something about this song reminds me of Bright Eyes, which is not a bad thing.

Agony Sauce:
Oooh, that bass line is fresh. You’ve found the perfect rhythm guitar part and effects to go along with it. Bobbing my head. I like the music of the chorus, but “I think you’re kind of a dick” as the lyrical hook prevents me from enjoying it more, but that’s just me. Bridge is giving “The Porpoise” by the Monkees. I like the moment when the organ drops out and the guitar solo kicks in. VOTE

All The Robots:
Vocal inflection is communicating that you aren’t taking the song too seriously - which I totally get because of the Mambo #5 silliness to the lyrics (and those lyrics are a fun approach to the title!). But I think it the song might be more effective if the vocals sounded more sincere. Because you really have what is genuinely a fantastic melody underneath there. The little accordion trills are fun too. VOTE

Another Future of Music:
Is this AI generated? This sounds like it came out of Suno.ai - but if it didn’t, you should take that as a compliment.

Balance Lost:
I want to ride a convertible through at night through a neon light city while listening to this song. VOTE

Basket Robbers:
Nothing was grabbing me until you hit that chorus, and that’s a REAL great hook in the first half of the chorus (“Don’t worry right now you are not the target”). Bridge is a great change up. Nice tag at the end. VOTE

Berkeley Social Scene:
I really like the part where you turn into 90s Britpop band in the pre-chorus. Like, I re-listened to it for just that part. VOTE

bgm:
One of the better vocalists of the fight. Just smooth like butter. Great production.

Bjam:
Really sweet lyrics and performance. Made me hug my kids. VOTE

Brian F:
The first chord change chord was cool and piqued my interest. Some really cool elements to this - the “bah bah bah” background vocals, the change up that happens around a 0:55, that cool effect around 1:10.

Cannonade Streete:
The best part of this song is after the dynamics shift down for the “Hold still” section, and then the beat and bass come back at 1:35. Real nice vibe in the instrumental section after that.

Caravan Ray:
I think you really got something with the “Every baggage, every scar” section. It’s the highlight.

The Chebuctones:
Some great word choices to fit the maritime protest song. A nice simple performance and arrangement that works.

Chthonic Black:
I’m kinda scared of this in the same way I’m scared to watch horror movies. And like horror movies, I’m positive this is someone’s cup of tea, but it’s not mine.

Chumpy vs. Lichen Throat:
Very fun description of a Disneyland parade that wasn’t immediately obvious. I really like the tone of the sparse guitar.

Cloverdance:
That strumming pattern gives it a unique toe-tapping rhythm. Fun backup vocals.

Cybronica & Estaphonia:
Wow, great vocal control and vibrato. I like the switch up to minor at the end. The very end leaves us hanging!!

Dead Ambassadors:
Politicians, man. The hook in the chorus catches my ear. Oh, the song ended just as I thought it was ready for a scorching solo.

The Def Author:
Lots of good rhymes packed into this. The drums get a little too busy for me in the choruses. Love the change of flow in the 3rd verse, especially the “just hold the phone…”

Dr. Spectacular's Power Circus:
It’s us! It was really fun to make music with friends again.

The Dutch Widows:
Great recording quality. Nice acoustic lead but in the intro. Love the ethereal sound in the chorus. Cool bridge.

DuToVa:
I liked the sound as soon as it started. The strings came in just as I thought that the arrangement needed something to build on it.

Entropic Pincushion:
I didn’t count, but it sounds like you achieved the challenge of 1000 songs!

Explino!:
One of the more creative and seamless uses of the title. And the song could work equally well with last week’s title. As each new section comes in, it’s a cool and interesting change. The “From time to time” section is my favorite. Love the “ahh” background vocals. VOTE

Falcon Artist:
I think the only artist who tied it into St Patrick’s day, which like holding up a newspaper with today’s date, helps establish that you wrote it after the title dropped. Nice job.

Frankie Big Face:
Frankie Big Face is one of the only SongFight artists who has songs that I have kept returning to over the years, so what a delight to get comeback. Such a skilled songwriter and this is no exception. I love the climbing guitar behind the “To fade away”. “I’m Doppler dropping with every beat” is such an interesting and effective phrase to choose to choose on it’s own, but to follow it with background vocals that descend chromatically is just some next-level creativity. What a great ending too. VOTE

The Frontalittle Squad:
Old school flow. I like the road trip motif. What a supergroup! The ending is kinda weak, but it’s a good song overall.

Future Boy:
The keyboard at first reminded me of Spoon, which is great. I like the harmonies in the second verse.

gareth:
Really nice acoustic fingerpicking. The words are softly sung, but very hard to make out in the mix.

Giraffes for Wings:
“When it is float day” is a nice melody, and I like the optimistic switch up from the first verse. Oh, sudden ending!

Glenn Case:
Nice smooth 70s sound. I like the jazzy chords thoughout. Buttery bassline throughout. I like that first chord in the bridge a lot!

Glennny:
Really cool riffage and harmonies in the “Follow us” section. Dig the 60s vibe in the chorus. And then harmonized guitar, which I’m a sucker for! Cool change up to the sound in the bridge. VOTE

heine:
I think you have musically hit the Grand Parade theme more than anyone else so far, and it’s a good arrangement! I like how it builds.

The Hell Yeahs:
This sounds like a band my one of my cool friends in high school might have read about in a zine and told me was “the real deal” before sharing a thrice dubbed bootleg cassette with me. I like the clapping in the last bit.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

jeffhenderson wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:34 am
Frankie Big Face:
Frankie Big Face is one of the only SongFight artists who has songs that I have kept returning to over the years, so what a delight to get comeback. Such a skilled songwriter and this is no exception. I love the climbing guitar behind the “To fade away”. “I’m Doppler dropping with every beat” is such an interesting and effective phrase to choose to choose on it’s own, but to follow it with background vocals that descend chromatically is just some next-level creativity. What a great ending too. VOTE
Yay! Thank you for mentioning the Doppler line and vocal tone painting. It’s a silly little lyric but I couldn’t resist. :)

I appreciate your kind words about my music. It has been fun to get back in the game so to speak and I’m grateful to everyone who kept this going for so long so guys like me could come back 10-15 years later and feel welcomed all over again. Shout out to Lunkhead, JB, and Spud!
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

01:52:12 - glennny
Wow! 6 hour podcast! Impressive! Also a rather enjoyable listen. Okay vocal melody could be better. Thank you for the kind words about the guitar playing. Ryan you're wrong about where the guitars sit in the mix. I made 2 strong choices in this song. Ryan called out the super wet Bass tone, I expected many would not like that, but I anticipated that reaction. What baffles me as that out of the 3 of you, none of you commented on me swinging the beat. I thought it was a bold choice that stood out among the 100 songs. Were there any other that swung? I bet if there were a New Ugly podcast, that'd be the first thing out of Grumpy Mike's mouth.
Thanks for the reviews!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers