Pat Robertson...

Go ahead, get it off your chest.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Pat Robertson...

Post by mkilly »

... has called for the assassination of the democratically elected president of Venezuela, Hugo Chavez.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200508220006

This guy says he's a Christian, is the leader of the Christian Coalition, thousands if not millions of Christians think he's a good Christian? Thou shalt not kill? What the fuck?[/url]
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro on a clapped out Mac, or Studio One on PC
Submitting as: Kamakura
Pronouns: he/him/idiot

Post by Kamakura »

Pragmatic expediency. Much cheaper than starting a war, saves lots of lives and from a Christian standpoint it could be argued that <insert suitable proverb here>.

If he's making lists he should add Robert Mugabe to it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com
Me$$iah
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: I just bought a 12 string and a stratocaster with a whammy bar
Recording Method: Sonic-Core
Submitting as: infrequently as ever

Post by Me$$iah »

Robertson is a nutjob...and he scares the shit out of me...
I hate him and all his kind with a vengeful fury and anger.
None of them impress me, Hovind, Falwell, Schlafly..
I hate them because they are cunts pure and simple and either are ignorant, stupid or evil. I tend to think the latter about most of these cunts and the second option on the others. I think that Robertson is pure evil. Of course he doesnt mind demanding the killing of a person, why not...hes just been recently 'praying' for a judge any judge 'prefrebly a librel Lord' to die so the chosen one...sorry I mean King GeorgeII can put in a more 'traditional' judge, who will read the constitution the right way. Robertson doesnt v=care about life he cares about power as most of these fuckwads do....

Jesus fuck Im just gonna stop or ill be ranting here for like ever..
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

assassination? i'm ashamed that these people call themselves christians.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
mc3p0
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

JUSTICE SOMEDAY

Post by mc3p0 »

Pat Robertson regularly has back-and-forth conversations with God and directs hurricanes away from his corporate headquarters, what's wrong with that? Oh, aside from the states that the hurricanes wound through, the millions spent on reconstruction, lost CHRISTIAN lives and such. He represents a very powerful policital lobby and is a very, very good friend of President Bush. Among the vast neo-con statements he's made throughout his televised history on both the CBC and it's fabulous The 700 Club, he also repeatedly blames 9-11 on gays, Muslims and "liberals". He also holds ownership of a gold mine in Lybia, is a good friend to MANY military dictators and has been held unaccountable by the rest of Christendom. Regardless, his net value may exceed a billion.

Hugo Chavez is the democratically elected leader of Venezuela, a Catholic, is pro-union and wants to sell gasoline to the US at HALF THE COST we are currently paying. This is a threat to the other "OPEC nations" stranglehold on the US dollar (read DICK CHENEY). This is the reason Robertson called for an illegal assassination of an elected official. What's so hard to appreciate in his sentiment? Just last week Donald Rumsfeld was commenting how they need to remove Hugo Chavez and now Robertson has given the Christian worlds consent.
"The toot of a flute with the flavour of fruit!" - Caractacus Potts, 1968
mc3p0
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Whoopsie!

Post by mc3p0 »

Oh, and according to the November, 2004 book 'Confessions of an Economic Hit Man', author John Perkins claims that Venezuela, our third-largest oil supplier, not Iraq was slated for invasion as the first part of our "war on terrorism". This is due to the oil, has nothing to do with "liberating the oppressed", WMD's or defending ourselves, unless you construe benefiting the political/corporate interests.
"The toot of a flute with the flavour of fruit!" - Caractacus Potts, 1968
Justincombustion
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums. Drums. Drums.
Recording Method: Whatever that stuff in Glenn's basement is.
Submitting as: HalfRacks, Drink/Drank/Drunk, Baby In the Corner, Chuck the Bear

Post by Justincombustion »

Yes, look at Iraq: Taking out the "leader" of the problem will solve everything right? Right.
I was looking at my "What Would Jesus Do" bracelet and BINGO!!! I realized that Jesus would call for an assasination!!
"When you can balance a tack-hammer on your head; you can then head off you opponent with a balanced attack!"
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

First off, CBC???? The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation? don't you mean some other network?

Second... I still believe that Bin Laden is in cohoots with Bush...that the 9/11 attack was commited by American interests to provide a catalyst for war.

I know that 's a harsh accusation, and an uncomfortable one, but sorry... it sure seems that way.
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro on a clapped out Mac, or Studio One on PC
Submitting as: Kamakura
Pronouns: he/him/idiot

Post by Kamakura »

Leaf wrote:I still believe that Bin Laden is in cohoots with Bush...
"Any evidence Mulder?" said Scully re-arranging her skirt.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

So, after trying to weasel out by claiming to be misinterpreted, Robertson has issued an apology.
No thanks, pal. At best, you're a man of great influence who is capable of the grandest of miscalculations, and it's safest for nobody to listen to you on those grounds.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I hate to say this, but someone made that same accusation on a piece of paper they left in my driveway. This paper also informed me that the CIA was actually a secret Nazi organization run by the last Pope (you know... the Polish one. The Polish Nazi Catholic). Um, so I mean just letting you know.
Egg
Mean Street
Instruments: whistles and egg shakers
Recording Method: Cakewalk, Cubase, Audacity, Garageband
Submitting as: Phunt Your Friends

Post by Egg »

WeaselSlayer wrote:I hate to say this, but someone made that same accusation on a piece of paper they left in my driveway. This paper also informed me that the CIA was actually a secret Nazi organization run by the last Pope (you know... the Polish one. The Polish Nazi Catholic). Um, so I mean just letting you know.
Are you serious? Send it to FOUND magazine if you are. http://foundmagazine.com/

...and to me.
glug glug glug egg makes wine. You can make wine too.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

...can go to hell...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha...

'cause he's a religious leader ...and not a good one...you know..hell...religious...oh forget it.
NeilThrun
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by NeilThrun »

I love christianity. You shouldn't do Insert Sin Here because God says it's bad. But its alright if you do it, because God forgives all of us. Whats with the christian right? Theyre all caught up in doing what God wants. Shouldn't they have realized by now he doesn't give a fuck and loves us anyway.
c hack
Panama

Re: Whoopsie!

Post by c hack »

mc3p0 wrote:Oh, and according to the November, 2004 book 'Confessions of an Economic Hit Man', author John Perkins claims that Venezuela, our third-largest oil supplier, not Iraq was slated for invasion as the first part of our "war on terrorism". This is due to the oil, has nothing to do with "liberating the oppressed", WMD's or defending ourselves, unless you construe benefiting the political/corporate interests.
Your avatar prevents me from taking you seriously.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Hoblit wrote: 'cause he's a religious leader
I wouldn't call him a religious leader -- I'd say he's more of a political activist who uses Christianity to further his agenda.

But even if he was, that doesn't necessarily mean he's evil. Look at WWII -- I'm sure many people were praying for the assassination of Hitler, and I wouldn't knock them for it at all.

Now, him praying for the deaths of people on the supreme court, that does necessarily mean he's evil. You can't pray for harm to come to someone -- it's called a curse, then. And him cursing people like that makes him no better than a Satanist. A real Christian would pray that the existing people on the supreme court see the error of their ways.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

You're comparing people who are part of democratic governments to despots? People who we are not at war with to people we were? Seems like a bit of tenuous argument to me ...

I agree with your last sentence, mind.

j$
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

j$ wrote:You're comparing people who are part of democratic governments to despots? People who we are not at war with to people we were? Seems like a bit of tenuous argument to me ...
C is using a counterexample to show that praying for the assassination of a leader doesn't necessarily make one evil. It's a sound argument.

- Puce, founding member of the Logic Police
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Except my logic is flawed in another way. What makes praying for Hitler's death okay, but not praying for the deaths of people on the supreme court? Obviously, his policies were much worse, but where do you draw the line? If someone makes a law legalizing abortion, institutes the death penalty, or starts a needless war, is it good (or even okay) to pray for their deaths? Of course not.

So I take it back. Christ says "Love your enemies," and that should include anyone up to and including people like Hitler. Sometimes you have to kill people for the greater good, but you should always hope and pray for a peaceful solution.

Man this world is a fucked up place.

Sorry for the preachiness, just trying to figure out how I felt about this. For the record, I think that calling for the assassination of someone just because he's sitting on a lot of oil and he might become a problem later on down the road is Fucking Evil.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

NeilThrun wrote:I love christianity. You shouldn't do Insert Sin Here because God says it's bad. But its alright if you do it, because God forgives all of us. Whats with the christian right? Theyre all caught up in doing what God wants. Shouldn't they have realized by now he doesn't give a fuck and loves us anyway.
Shouldn't *you* have realized by now that your understanding of Christian dogma is cursory at best? God does not forgive everyone, God is <em>able</em> to forgive anyone. Doesn't mean he has to do it, and it doesn't mean that God can't create requirements for forgiveness (like belieiving in him, repenting your sins, and asking God for forgiveness). Being loved isn't the end all, be all of everything. God may love everyone, but he doesn't let everyone into Heaven. Being loved by God is probably a small consolation while spending an eternity in Hell.

I am an athiest.
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

I agree with pretty much all c hack has said.

Anyway, we should kill Pat Robertson, then.
NeilThrun
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by NeilThrun »

erikb wrote:
NeilThrun wrote:I love christianity. You shouldn't do Insert Sin Here because God says it's bad. But its alright if you do it, because God forgives all of us. Whats with the christian right? Theyre all caught up in doing what God wants. Shouldn't they have realized by now he doesn't give a fuck and loves us anyway.
Shouldn't *you* have realized by now that your understanding of Christian dogma is cursory at best? God does not forgive everyone, God is <em>able</em> to forgive anyone. Doesn't mean he has to do it, and it doesn't mean that God can't create requirements for forgiveness (like belieiving in him, repenting your sins, and asking God for forgiveness). Being loved isn't the end all, be all of everything. God may love everyone, but he doesn't let everyone into Heaven. Being loved by God is probably a small consolation while spending an eternity in Hell.

I am an athiest.
I guess that depends on your denomination of christianity. I was raised a Lutheran. They believe that all you have to do to get into heave is accept Jesus as your savior.

Regardless I hope you understood my meaning of my prior comment. Why do they care? Theyre saved, why do they feel to the need to "fix" people?