jeff robertson
Panama
Instruments: guitar, bass, programming
Recording Method: Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: FLVXXVM FLORVM, Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders
Pronouns: he/him

guitarist interested in online collaboration

Post by jeff robertson »

For songfight or otherwise, as long as we only do about 1 song a week since I'm married and have kids and a fulltime job and all that stuff.

I'm not sure how people do this sort of thing, tactically. Is there a particular multitracking software that everyone here uses so you can all swap files, or do you just trade MP3s and someone owns the task of mashing them together, or what?
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

If one person is running the show, they can send out mp3 reference files, against which others record their tracks to WAV (prefered), or MP3 (if bandwidth is a huge issue) and send those back. Then the ring leader mixes them down for the next round...and so forth. Best if everyone syncs at the start so they lay together in the mix.

A great service for transfering large files without clogging email is Dropload.

I'm sure many better schemes are out there and Jack, who's done tons of collabs, will chime in.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

I can speak to this as well, having done 5 songs with 6 people trading files back in forth, in Gert.

Someone produces an mp3 that has an idea.

Someone else takes it, cuts it up in a session, possibly adds other parts, and furnishes back another mp3 which will then serve as a guide. It's important to stay in "snap to grid" mode and to be sure that the beats line up.

Everyone records their tracks over the guide Mp3, and uploads to a central server where the mixmaster (in our case, usually Deshead or TheHipCola, those wizards) will mix it up.

contingencies:

- Decide on the redcording format. 44.1 khz, 24 bit. Most of the programs can handle AIF and WAV so either of those would work.
- Everyone must bounce their tracks separately.
- Everyone must start at the exact same place that the guide track started. Even if it's only a quick vocal at the end of the song, do a whole bounce so that mixmaster can just dump it into the mix and it'll line up right.

I've heard (from a friend that's an engineer at Qdivision) that different recording programs sync differently, but I have yet to see that in action. In Gert we have two macs and four PC's (the rest of the gang).
We all use different recording programs and haven't had probs in that regard.

I've done collabs mingling the following programs: Cubase, Digital Performer, Logic, Sonar, Tracktion, Garageband, ProTools, and Deck.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Also, consider using MP2 for trading the track files, they are far superior to MP3 and almost as small. You can compress to MP2 for swapping, and decompress to WAV for mixing.

Good MP2 conversion tools can be found on the PRSS website

I use SoundConverter and the PRX Encoder. Good stuff.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Also, it's probably implied, but just in case, agree ahead of time on the tempo. There are two ways to do this: Everyone sets their tempo to the same BPM and plays to a click; Or record the drum track first, and everyone synchs to that.

Another tip: Use compression and EQ sparingly (if at all) on the individual tracks before sending them to the person who's mixing. You might think a processed track sounds better on its own, but to get it mixed right, it'll almost certainly need different compression and EQ settings.
boltoph wrote:In Gert we have two macs and four PC's
and green pant suits with conspicuous bulges.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

given the tight deadline, communication is pretty key too. setting up a blog can help with this. like boltoph said about gert, it's tough coordinating 5 people that live thousands of miles apart, and to top that off, they probably don't know each other. setting up a blog can help with this......

http://bloodyhams.blogspot.com/

everyone has their own style. but someone needs to drive it.
Hi!
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Good thought, jack.

We use phpBB. Works really well. There are tonnes of places that'll let you set up a forum for free: http://www.google.com/search?q=free+phpbb