Which do you enjoy more: Recording or Playing Live?

How much do you love this stuff?

Recording
41%
Playing Live
59%

Total votes: 34
Middlemarch
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: Northern New York-west of the Hudson and north of everything (except Canada-and those other places)

Post by Middlemarch »

I could sit for hours and days recording songs (if I actually had hours and days...). It gets frustrating, but the only pressure comes from me (and now, songfight deadlines, of course).

I haven't played in front of other people in a long time. I was in a band in college, then played coffeehouses, etc. for a few years. I have played to audiences of two to two hundred and received many positive comments. However, the thought of playing live right now freaks me out.

Though I liked the attention and the opportunity to express myself, blah, blah, blah, I also remember having to learn and memorize many, many songs, always considering what crowds would like and what they wouldn't, and so on. I constantly wondered if the audience would rather just have me shut up so they could enjoy their frappalappacinno in silence.

I had a friend record my show one night, and when I listened to it, I cringed. Soon after, I packed my guitar away.

That was nearly 10 years ago. Right now, I definitely enjoy recording much more. I suppose it has something to do with wanting complete control, etc. Just wondering what your experiences are.

Thanks,

MM
Last edited by Middlemarch on Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<i>"you kind of sound like Oscar the Grouch" -- Feldspar

"sounds like church camp stuff" -- Tricia </i>

<a href="http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/alb ... id=1503">G. Williker at Nowhere Radio</a>
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Live.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Totally playing live.
Songfighter since back in the day.
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

Both. Although I haven't played live in ages.
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

live is more fun but after recording you have a shiny new song.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

While the shiny new song aspect makes recording ultimately more fulfilling in the long term, playing live is much more fun than recording. Particularly in my case--I'm a drummer in a punk band (perhaps the funnest job imaginable), whereas "recording" phuntsongs is insanely tedious (but I find it more rewarding in the end).
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale
Pronouns: he/him

Post by rone rivendale »

I've never played live, but I wouldn't want to either.

And it's not like Fruity Loops music goes well with live performances anyway.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

Rone Rivendale wrote:And it's not like Fruity Loops music goes well with live performances anyway.
Fruity Loops music doesn't go well in any setting.
* this is not a disclaimer
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

i put recording, but i've never played live. the thought of it freaks me the hell out. i wouldn't be able to perform if i knew there was a chance people might like me. if i knew they liked me, i'd probably put less effort into it and suck. i'm weird about crap like that.
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

Live, by a mile. Not that I dislike recording, but rocking is life.
Lyricburglar
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Lyricburglar »

You won't pull any chicks sitting in a small room with headphones on.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Playing live leads to unexpected things happening and makes life more fun. Recording's always better looking back on it, it's like you've left a legacy.

Home recording's totally different though. It's more like making a big sandwich; I get the urge, bish bash bosh, done. I'm always happy with it but it's never gonna change the world.
Middlemarch
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: Northern New York-west of the Hudson and north of everything (except Canada-and those other places)

Post by Middlemarch »

Caravanray wrote:You won't pull any chicks sitting in a small room with headphones on.
Yeah, but I've already got a 'chick' and the ones in college who were interested in me were scary. :D Last time I had a 'groupie' she was a 16 year old with pasty skin who got pissy if I talked to someone else between sets. SCARY. So, I've always been a loser in that respect. :!:
<i>"you kind of sound like Oscar the Grouch" -- Feldspar

"sounds like church camp stuff" -- Tricia </i>

<a href="http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/alb ... id=1503">G. Williker at Nowhere Radio</a>
Lyricburglar
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Lyricburglar »

Middlemarch wrote:
Caravanray wrote:You won't pull any chicks sitting in a small room with headphones on.
Yeah, but I've already got a 'chick' and the ones in college who were interested in me were scary. :D Last time I had a 'groupie' she was a 16 year old with pasty skin who got pissy if I talked to someone else between sets. SCARY. So, I've always been a loser in that respect. :!:
OK dude...all the more for the rest of us!8)

(...says the middle-aged suburban public servant with male-pattern baldness and a weight problem who insists on continuing to "talk-the-talk" even though he has long since given up ideas of "walking-the-walk")
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

Live is much more rewarding and although the work to get sets ready and learn songs is hard for old godgers like me. I just love the immediate gratification of audience feedback.

Recording is more like a puzzle for me as I dont have collaborators/other band members so have to build things up gradually to create a performance. Thats harder work, but ultimately how I have to feed my muse due to real life constraints on my ability to find opportunities to perform live.

So Songfight tends to be the driver of my creative opportunities :-)
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

I have to say recording, simply by default. I have no one that I play with currently and playing live by yourself in you room isn't all that fun :)

That said, simply jamming with friends and feeling yourself all fall into a groove together is one of the most exhilrating feelings I've ever experienced.
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I selected recording, because I've only played one show live (on stage). However I have also done a bunch of shows that were live streaming on the internet, so that's "kinda" live but from the comfort of my own home studio.
There's one thing I really enjoy about live playing and that the improvisation aspect... ninjam satisfies this urge as well.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

I do so much more recording with various projects than I do playing live, and perhaps because of this playing live is much more fun than recording.

Live is also nice because it doesn't allow me to dwell on a track and second-guess myself, et cetera.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Dude, fuck recording. My experience with recording has been:
  • I suck at it.
  • It's a solitary thing.
  • It's annoying as hell because I can fix stuff that I fuck up so I feel obligated to.
All in contrast to playing live.

EDIT: However, electronic music is fun to make and I don't think of it as recording. You record stuff that should be played live; electronic music you create.
Let cake eat them.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I like recording a song, then playing it live in a totally different way. And then the next time I play it live I like to play it even more differently. It's like getting a whole new song each time.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

man, playing live is seeming more disturbing by the day.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

the Jazz wrote:Dude, fuck recording. My experience with recording has been:
  • I suck at it.
  • It's a solitary thing.
  • It's annoying as hell because I can fix stuff that I fuck up so I feel obligated to.
All in contrast to playing live.

EDIT: However, electronic music is fun to make and I don't think of it as recording. You record stuff that should be played live; electronic music you create.
You make a good point. I really enjoyed making Phunt's AAD, and I'm really happy with the results, but man, I would've spent like two months on it if we weren't following the AAD rules. As it is, I'm much happier that it only took a day.