Damp Feet (Clouds Were Touching The Ground Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Damp Feet (Clouds Were Touching The Ground Reviews)

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Can just anybody post these? If not excuse the presumptuousness. I'm just so dern excited.

I hope you all brought the rock, cuz I did. But then I picked it up again and dusted it off and three second rule and all that.

Err...
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

its the "15,000 minute/expiration date" rule.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Jeez, did you have to post a song for this fight? I mean, I didn't have much chance of winning anyway but, c'mon. ;)
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

haha, i didnt have to. but i did. but i ran out of time to finish the song so dont worry.
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

Okay, just downloaded this weeks songs, normalised, equalised, stereoised, (whatever the technical term is) them all, and given them a quick listen, I'll stick them on my player and give them all my attention tomorrow at work, then I'll post reviews tomorrow evening.

But, I'd like to take the opportunity to review one song here and now, and I've got to be very careful what I type as I feel I may be on slightly dodgy ground, but please take this the way it's meant, I'll not be using any ironic/sardonic wit here, this is just plain to goodness honesty.

Jordan Seavers:
This is an extremely well written and produced song, I read your comments about it not being finished but you ran out of time, let me just tell you that if I had 52 weeks I couldn't hope to achieve anything like as good as this, you are obviously very talented, you have been told many times that you are very talented, and I guess you know that you are talented, you have either a natural gift or have had extremely good teachers or a bit of both.
But, I feel you have to be judged seperately from most others as you have set your own bar very high indeed, I can't hear anything within this song that needs more doing to it, if anything it could do with a bit of an edge, roughing up a little, it's like walking down the beach and finding a stone that is so polished already it takes the fun out of polishing it.
Please, please do not fall into the trap of becoming over-indulgent, you don't need to. My guess is that you are still quite young, so play with it, see what else you can do, stretch the boundaries, rock it up, ballad it down etc...
Sorry for the long-winded approach, I just guess this needed to be said, and be said in open.

All the best, spOOn.

P.S. The distortion is driving me wild, but I dig thoses crazy bongo's :D
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jseavers05 »

hey. thanks for the comments. very appreciated! i redid some stuff in this song last night. i think it turned out a little better, but you'll have to give a listen. if you want it id be happy to email it to you or you can go to myspace.com/jordanseavers and download it from there. anyways thanks again for the comments!
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

See, I knew you were gonna do that to me. ;)

Well, I'm only partially through my first listen, but lots of indie goodness so far. Freddie Love...your song makes me want to buy/make a shaker.
turtlehead
A New Player

Re: Damp Feet (Clouds Were Touching The Ground Reviews)

Post by turtlehead »

kill_me_sarah wrote:I'm just so dern excited.
You're just so damn annoying.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Hey, kill_me_sarah's new around here, but he's been pulling his muthafuckin' weight. No0b Of The Month? Quite possibly.

I mean, turtlehead, I don't really know anything about you, but... well, there you go.
turtlehead
A New Player

Post by turtlehead »

Mogosagatai wrote:Hey, kill_me_sarah's new around here, but he's been pulling his muthafuckin' weight.
throwing weight around...all quantity, no quality. i understand.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

::cough:: Do you guys, like, know each other outside of SF? I hope so.

It's not really my place to pick on noobs, though. Maybe I'll just step aside and let mean old blue tell you that, before you pick on another noob like that, you'd better have some meat on your bones first.
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

jseavers05 wrote:hey. thanks for the comments. very appreciated! i redid some stuff in this song last night. i think it turned out a little better, but you'll have to give a listen. if you want it id be happy to email it to you or you can go to myspace.com/jordanseavers and download it from there. anyways thanks again for the comments!
Cheers!
I'll visit your site and have a listen, normally when I re-do stuff it just gets worse...

...and worse... etc.

I've been known to throw my bones about... they make a cool sound at least :roll:
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Mogosagatai wrote:::cough:: Do you guys, like, know each other outside of SF?
Fortunately...no.
Liechty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Liechty »

Reviews

// im doing plus and minus reviews

Andrew Reist:
- way to long of an intro, get this song moving early
+ vocals work well with music
- drums are too small

Eclecticspoons:
- crazy capitalization in name
+ synth gallop after first verse
- doesn't sound like you are trying to deliver on the vox, sell it to me
- drums are too small (you and andrew need to go to the boom-bap seminar)

Eddie Lance:
+ intro piano
- rest of song

E Equals:
- are you 3 inches tall?

Freddie Love:
+ oh yes, bring me the new flaming lips type vibe
- phrasing is to spaced out, tighten up the whole song
- same guitar line is repeated too much
+ the shakers

Jordan Seavers:
+ vocal melodies sounding suite
- cant really pick out what you are talking about (probably because all i listen to is rap)
+ excellent song, everything came off well rehearsed and composed.
- at the end of the bridge i wished that it would have exploded rather than decrescendo'd.

Ken Woodard:
- this could benefit with a more ethereal sound
- your voice doesn't seem to care where or what pitch it is
+ backup guitar

Kill Me Sarah:
- that weird ringing noise right after each guitar riff
- spoken word parts
+ would sound better sped up 20-30 bpm

The Modern Alternatives:
+ guitar sounds really well recorded, but i think ive heard that riff before
- need more lyrics - also less wimpy lyrics
+ little piano part

Prime the Phunt:
+ sounds like it maybe would be some dream sequence from a genesis game
- well until the vocals = which are quite bizarre
+ good low voice (like the 8 dimension stuff)
- too much happening all over the place

Produce:
+ that chorus (thanks mike)
- bassline gets boring after a while i think
+ finally being able to fit in "double, double, toil and trouble".

Quesadilla Explosion:
- derivative derivative derivative derivative derivative derivative
+ last minute

Thanks for the Frisbee:
- somewhat sloppies with the guitar recordongo
- vocals don't get much more interesting than the first time you hear them

Wages:
- really sloppy, ugh.
- like a retarded jack johnson

Seavers won.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Liechty wrote:Kill Me Sarah:
- that weird ringing noise right after each guitar riff
- spoken word parts
+ would sound better sped up 20-30 bpm
Geez, I'd never noticed that, but you're right...there's a little "bzzz". Sheesh that's gonna annoy me now. The problem is that I used some new recording software and experimented with looping the guitar riff instead of playing it live and that annoying little buzz was in the first take I recorded and so obviously got duplicated throughout the rest of the song. I'll try to post a fixed version after I get some more feedback from others.

BTW, don't know why I feel compelled to point this out but, shouldn't that last plus you gave me also be a minus?
Liechty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Liechty »

kill_me_sarah wrote:
Liechty wrote:+ would sound better sped up 20-30 bpm
BTW, don't know why I feel compelled to point this out but, shouldn't that last plus you gave me also be a minus?
i think its a plus that you can mess with the tempo and have it sound awesome. but yeah dont let that ringing push you away from looping. it is a superior method of producing. on another listen you definately need a little high hat snikersnik.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Eidolon
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Reviewz

Post by Eidolon »

I think i'll try using the yee olde rating style of 1-10 on this fight.. see how that works out.. along with random thoughts while listening. These thoughts are free and should be valued as such. 8)

Mainly first or second listens here too.. so, take that into consideration, doesn't give a lot of time for the 'grow on you' effect.

Random Order (let the player gadget be dj tonight.. rather than the alphabet):

eclectic
I like this best of any of your stuff i've heard so far from you. Maybe been listening about a month now.. i've never checked out the archives though for ya. This song moves right along and has some very catchy bits.. plus I love the energy of the crazy sounds and noises. Rating: 7/10

produce
Better flow than most rap i've heard on songfight lately. (Like I said.. i'm a month+ old n00b - I know there's some great stuff in the archives.. ) Anyway, I dig this a lot! Love the deep bass sounds also. The hook is a little rough vocal wise.. like 90% there on the deeper pitch voice.. but still quite enjoyable. I'll have to listen further to make out all the story. The rap delivery is much to my liking though. Rating: 7.5/10

Mr. Seavers
Definitely always worth checking your entries out.. You call this not finished?! Wow.. anyway :) I love the layers you integrate into songs.. and your voice is so enjoyable. I am always happily reminded of a band I remember from the early 90s called the lightning seeds.. its the feeling or mood that is very similar more than the music.. and the vocal range of course. I used to really dig them. What a great spring time feeling.. we had our first warm day in awhile up here in vermont.. so the mood just flows quite nicely with today. Nice job! Rating: 8.5/10

Kenny W
There is something really endearing about this and other entries i've heard from you. I think its the neil young quality that I like about the vocals. There is just some great atmosphere in here. I like the quiet 'it ain't that far' vocal. Dig the bongo noises. The mix is a little odd.. but not really getting in the way of digging it. This is one of those songs that has an emotional impact to me... like its definitely raw and rough but very earthy that way. Rating: 6.5/10

e-lance
The spoken words and singing delivery are a little awkward. Like, I can't tell if you were trying to be humorous or tell a tragic tale. I guess anytime there is uncertainty in the song.. it can make the listener a little uncertain. That stuff said.. I enjoy the changes between the two styles of the song. Okay, the ending definitely makes me think you were being silly. In that context, I feel a little better about this song. The music and comp I feel are fine.. its just the delivery of the vocals that get in the way of letting me relax and enjoy the story without thinking about it. I'm guessing that as listens to the playist progress during the week.. i'll get over that probably and be able to enjoy it more. Rating: 5.5/10

andre wreist
I like the intro and it makes me very hopeful,but once it switches over to the main part.. the outta tune guitar kills it for me. I'm sorry, but I have a major pet peeve to out of tune guitars..... I'll try and ignore it here and focus on your song as an 'if it were in tune way'.. :) There are some pretty bits going on in here. Also, some awkward guitar bits.. (mainly, the twinkly stuff is cool.. but the more rhythmic chord stuff is a little clunky) Okay, now the singing starts..!! I thought this was an instrumental until then. Okay.. sounds like your vocals suffer from my problem.. and thats on the flatness side. Like- being a sufferer of that ..uh dilemna.. I can totally feel for ya. I can tell what line you're trying to sing.. and I feel that with further takes you'll either get it.. or start losing your voice.. ;) (Thats the frustrating bit that happens to me anyway.. and then the week runs out and the deadline hits! ;)) I like the "oceans filling .. lets go swimming" line. I am enjoying this song despite some flaws. So.. I think i've rambled long enough here. Rating: 5.5/10

quesadillar
Okay- well.. man.. that changed the style thus far. I'm back in the 90s..! Let me find my flannel.... Okay.. now i'm ready. ;) Love the chorus.. and the music and production are very cool.. I guess the only major problem I have is that it sounds too much like an amalgamation of bands I used to listen to all fused together. Oh well.. yes I know everything is derivative and a creative fusion with things past... So, that said.. and aside.. I still can't help but like this. The changeups and tones and bridges all are right up the alley of music I used to listen to a lot about 15 years ago. Rating: 7.5/10

Fribbee
Will there be screaming this week I wonder?! I'll have to wait and see. I really dig your voice and the guitar is quite enjoyable. This song just keeps on driving and driving it feels .. I really am craving some kinda break down.. oh there we go.. at least a bit of a drop.. ok.. and again. Thanks! ;) I think the chorus vocal line is at like 96%.. sounds like you could nail it on a further recording.. and it would be perfect. I guess thats my only suggestion. Rating: 8/10

e=
Is that a tickle me elmo doll or something similar in the background? Bizzare. Well this song is definitely the most unique sounding that has played thus far. I don't think this is the kinda thing i'd listen to again.. it keeps going between lullably and spoken word.. and combined with the muppet noises and breathy sonar.. well.. its a bit freaky. This is more like an experiment than a song I can enjoy. Rating: (no clue) 4.5/10 ?

modern a
I dig the guitar and voice on this one. The lyrics seem interesting enough as well on first listen. Seems recorded pleasingly enough as well. The strummed guitar is a little funny sounding.. like maybe its lined in? Anyway, it doesn't get in the way. Some keys come in there too.. thats toughtful.. right at the end. Well.. this song was short and pleasant, but i'm not left with any really major impression... dunno. Rating: 6.5/10

kill me
i like the spoken bits on this one.. not sure if the imagery or voice is a tad too forced.. actually.. the spoken word part really reminds me of ol' dead milkmen.. after making that connection i'm enjoying this a bit more. The singing chorus part is ok enough.. but catches me off guard as not quite fitting in with the vibe I fell into during the spoken word part. The guitar is during the verse is a cross between ac/dc and early sabath wizard tones.. great..! I feel that even though you have cranked up the distortion for this one.. the drum and feel is actually not all that 'rocking' .. I know rocking is a vague term.. but its not doing it for me according to my own personal definition. Like.. it feels distorted.. but ploddy. Too nailed to the static drum riff or something. Maybe faster would help? Anyway, fun listen. Rating: 6.5/10

wages
If i can get past the lined in guitar bzzzzzzzz on most of the chords.. I can start to enjoy this. I dig the timbre of your voice.. your vocals are often not quite on target.. or a bit slidy.. or vague.. but, somehow it doesn't get in the way for me as much as that problem with other singers on other songs. Not sure why that is.. maybe its a good bit of your emotion that drives me to enjoy it nonetheless.. you sound like you really let go..and I think I can admire that a lot and know that is tough for me to get to that point usually.. so cheers for getting into it! Rating: 6/10

primephunt
Hrm... wacky! Besides the eequals song.. there has been surprisingly little 'wack' in this fight.. "Time was right.. to come a hellin'" Hah! If thats what I heard.. than thats great. Eight dimensional.. heh. Well.. i'm definitely enjoying the lyrics. The tone of the vocal is actually quite amusing in a good way. Sheesh. did I just hear 'ragnarock'?! I'm not sure what this song is about.. but at least its interestingly wacky. Rating: 5/10

freddie
Nice groove.. and good bass thump on this one. This vibe feels very cool to me. Okay.. i dig these vocal stylings. They soundsa little low during the verse and perhaps a little even during the chorus. I like the sound of the spoken word part.. but can't really make anything out. Good listen in a vibe way.. nothing leaps out and grabs me though. Rating: 7/10

eidolon (me)
Well.. the player randomly saved mine for last.. wacky! Anyway.. I don't think i'm gonna review my own song.. :) Just a few comments: I know its got some vocal issues.. i'm a perfectionist and will never be satisfied... but the songfight deadline at least finally forces me to make decisions.. and thats the beauty of this strange online beast..!

Well.. a lot of great songs in this fight.. i'm not sure who i'd vote for. I'm also not sure how I feel about the whole rating system i used.. i will keep adjusting till I find a style that fits. Favorites off the top of my head are Seavers, Produce, Frisbee, Quesadilla.. i do my voting at the end of the week after a lot of listening.

Later folks!
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Okay, i'm still getting a feel for different rating systems, but i decide to use a 5 point scale, w/ no fractions. My five point scale is based on how i'd rate it in my media player, where higher ratings mean more frequent play. Thus:
  • 1 Never Play
    2 Play very rarely
    3 Play occasionally
    4 Play often
    5 Play it until i'm sick of it
Incidentally, i didn't hand out any fives this week. A few fours, but I don't want you guys cluttering up my Decemberists and my Radiohead in my player ;)

Andrew Reist
The intro throws me off a bit. I never like when intros don’t mesh with the rest of the song because I usually only like one or the other, and it ruins the cohesiveness of it for me. I also don’t like really long introductions. This song seems like an introduction to an introduction and then a song. I like the “2ndâ€
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

Thanks for the quick reviews thus far. :) I didn't feel this was my best entry ever, but I think there's a good tune in there. I want to record guitar, but something about my setup sounds bad with either guitar, just worse I feel on the electric. Will be tweaking.

I'm not going to be mister nice guy this week. I don't have time to bullshit good things...my brain can't take the effort!

Andrew Reist
Bad for you to be first. :( Started out okay...wait, too long...then a weird change....eventually some singing. Unleash your voice. Experiment with the melody. Give some more umph to the second guitar.

Eclectic Spoons
Your voice is closer to being unleashed than Andrew's, but it still needs to more. It might just need more volume...or a better mic. I don't know...? Otherwise okay song.

Eddie Lance
intial reaction: oh no, here comes the piano stuff... Then perhaps a King Missile story song. The singing part needs some work. I like the spoken stuff. If you aren't familiar with 'em, listen to lots of King Missile.

Eequals
The recording is a little clearer, but it sounds like you are singing in a closet while hiding from a killer. Release your voice! It's hard to do until you trust it. Just let it free! My wife has the same problem. ;)

Eidolon
I like the rhythm of your guitar. Something about the voice rubs me wrong. Sounds like your reaching up. Try reaching down to the notes. That's kinda what helped me.

Freddie Love
Geez this is great! I'm really feeling the groove. This is freaking great! I'm keeping it and may vote for you.

Jordan Seavers
Better than Death Cab and only half the calories! I really like this tune. I'm keeping it and may vote for you.

Ken Woodard
Your guitar reminds me of Peter Buck. At first I resisted for the country voice...but it's grown on me about a minute in. The mandolin (?) is great. I'll keep it!

Kill Me Sarah
There are some good qualities to the song. The bad: feels drawn out. Perhaps the drum beat is too repeatitive or it's too slow or it doesn't have enough "shuffle". Or variety. I think it could do with some more singing too (i like the voice, just need more for it to say). Overall, I would say a good song in need of a full band.
(edited moments after posted) I want to make it clear, I did not read your review of my song before I did your review. So I'm not just being nice.

Modern Alternatives
I don't really know how to feel about the song. I think it's fine, it just doesn't grab me.

Prime the PHunti Boil the Water Escape!!
WTF!? (your band name) WTF!? (your song) And I don't know WTF to say in this review. An oddity.

Produce feat Machter
decent hiphop tune. I like your style. The groove needs more something.

Quesadilla Explosion
Is it Ques-uh-dil-uh or Ques-ah-de-ah? I don't care! Weezer would be proud! Will you redo any of my songs? I'd love to hear your interpretation (or complete reworking). I'm keeping this song and will listen to it again of my own free will. Anyways, the competition is tough this week...but you are in the vote running.

Thanks For the Frisbee
should sufficiently apease your detractors due to M.M. siimilarities. I like this song. I will keep it, but I can't vote for it. It needs polishing. But it can be listened to again! good entry

------------
The Final Verdict
------------
I like Freddie Love, Jordan Seavers, and Quesadilla Explosion pretty much equally. However (there's always a however), one just makes me feel a hair better in my current mood and that one is Freddie Love. So there's my vote. Listening to Q.E. right now (again), I'm considering flip floping, but my current mood has spoken. :) :twisted:
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

kill_me_sarah wrote:Prime the Phunt! Boil the water. Escape!
It’s obviously more rhythmic and less experimental but it’s still experimental to the degree that I don’t feel like listening to it over and over again.
This is actually not really directed at kill_me_sarah, but at the Songfight community in general. KMS's post serves as a good trigger for it:

We of the "Phunt collective" aren't trying to conduct experiments with our music. Experiments have good and bad results--well who the heck wants bad results? I realize that it's difficult to put our music into a genre other than the blanket "experiemental" category, but it really isn't experimental at all. We're not ever gonna just take a bunch of weird or funny sounding recordings and mash them all together with no higher purpose in mind. That'd be like playing a piano just for the sake of playing piano--it wouldn't matter <i>what</i> notes you hit, random or atonal or whatever--meaningless, but still somehow "appreciable" because it's on a piano? (John Cage, for would-be tangenters, is a very slight exception--<i>very</i> slight.) Like all real music, ours is all about the higher purpose--the communication of some kind of feeling (or whatever bullcrap along those lines--someone who really understands music should understand what I'm getting at). We just use weirder means than most, because, well, we happen to like those means a lot, and we think that our "feelings" or whatever are best expressed through those means.

I'm not trying to say anyone should like our music. I'm just letting y'all know that we're not experimental (any more than most musicians).
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Mogosagatai wrote:I'm not trying to say anyone should like our music. I'm just letting y'all know that we're not experimental (any more than most musicians).
People aren't saying that you don't intend to make nonexperimental music. They're just letting you know what it sounds like when it reaches the ears of people who didn't make the noises in the recordings.
Liechty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Liechty »

Im trying to figure just why phunt is pheeling aphraid of being labeled "experimental". its not like any adjective someone gives to you will change the music you created. to me, that is being kindof picky with your criticism. thats like saying - "from now on you can't use [THIS WORD] to describe Thine Phunt Collective." hahaahh such a kinglike decree.

you are experi - MENTAL
Last edited by Liechty on Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.