GIGANTIC (Kim Deal reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
blue
Ice Cream Man

GIGANTIC (Kim Deal reviews)

Post by blue »

aaah aah aaaah.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

So who's gonna have the best Pixies/Breeders reference this fight then?
blue's already lost :P
booty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by booty »

Stop!
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

Hey!
mr_lostman
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by mr_lostman »

Furrypedro wrote:So who's gonna have the best Pixies/Breeders reference this fight then?
blue's already lost :P

I think i got the best pixies references... my song is loaded with 'em... maybe too many.... :)
"I can't hear a thing,
'cause I've stopped listening!"
-BNL
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

booty wrote:Stop!
oooooooo
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Furrypedro wrote:Hey!
oooooooo - too!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
booty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by booty »

What about a Joey Santiago sidefight? Three note solo's are my specialty!
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

Oh no! My song is missing. It turns out I sent it to the wrong e-mail address. I hope the fightmasters will add it.

Steve
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

I hope so too
make it a nice round 10

...and Carol Cleveland Sings are back.
Jurassic Park!
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

Looks like Steve didn't make it today
Here are some reviews...

Katy and the dwellers: Melody sounds familiar, but it's nice though (apart from the odd duff note). The vocals generally are nice but the constant falsetto seems to make it sound a bit forced or lacking in dynamics or something, not sure. pleasantly strummy, a good song but it's not rocking my world. I like the direction the instrumental break takes. I didn't listen to the last chorus.

The Booty Chesterfield Trio: This sounds like it's going for a bit of a Frank Black/ Lou Reed-y vibe, and it's nearly getting there, but in the end the imitation takes all the potential out of this song. This will never transcend (or even equal) the people it's trying to sound like. alright, but it doesn't make me want to listen again. and the bit where you listed Pixies songs was a bit irritating for and indie bastard like me.

Mr Lostman: Hahaha, now THAT's the way to rip a band off. This pastiche is suitably faithful to provide some amusement. When the verse comes in it sounds more like Built to Spill which is cool too. I think it's the exuberant energy and melodies, but for some reason I like this for exactly the same reasons as I didn't like the Booty Chesterfield one. I guess you just did a better job.

The Anchors: are about as close to Pixies as Songfight has come this year, you don't sound like them a lot, but you're tight, noisy and you sound only like the Anchors. One criticsm, I don't like the tone of the guitar noodling over the top, it takes the edge out of the track. that guitar that fades to the end by comparison is pure Idlewild-ish grittiness and demonstrates exactly what I think the other guitar is missing. Good stuff, I'll be listening again.

The Dirty Allisons: I've heard this quite a bit already, love the sound of all the parts, drums especially. Seriously Great lyrics (GREAT backing vox!). Love Johnny's production, and I'm dead chuffed I got to collab (no matter how briefly) with the assembled company even though they were probably totally unaware of my contribution at the time :wink: . The SY edge could well nudge this one ahead of the others for the vote but let's not be premature now.

Paco!: You're way better than you give yourself credit for dude, though I appreciate your humility. This track's good too, I like that it takes it's time to get going, we're gonna have to listen to this song in it's own good time and if we give up too soon then fuck us, it's our loss. That's what I'd like to think anyway cos it encapsulates a bit of the Pixies ethos pretty well. It's drawing me in and freaking me out. This is actually a bloody good song, all it needs is a nasty diminished chord to end on instead of the fade out. Or just stop the band and carry on those weird-ass vocals. you know it makes sense. Contender.

Luke Henley: k, I listened to this once already. I quite like some of the chord changes, and the drum kit over in the other corner of the room. Some of it sounds really White Stripes-y. There are bits here when the making-the-lyrics-up-as-you-go approach doesn't serve you as well as it has done in the past. Not bad, but then I didn't really love your Too Far Away the first time I heard it either.

Carol Cleveland Sings: I can't believe I had to wait a whole 35 seconds 'til I heard the ukelele . All the twinkly little bits and way the song can't stay on a phrase for more than a bar or two are what make me love this, and the solid melody line. Aha, and of course the obligatory Pixies plagearism at the end, well wrapped up. That's damn good, I'm gonna have to listen a few more times before I vote, this is gonna be a tough one.
Those Meddling Pedro's: I've been listening to TV on the Radio a lot this week and I wish I could sing like Kyp Malone. I'm so geeky cos in England they're on 4AD and that's my tenuous link for this song.

I enjoyed this fight a lot, good work everyone
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Bolio »

Simple references aren't enough for me. I was looking forward to a Guitar-Crunching song a'la Breeders or Amps and I was disappointed.

Carol Cleveland Sings has by far the best song, very entertaining. But I believe Paco Del Stinko has the best Kim Deal interpretation & gets my vote.
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
HansGruber
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by HansGruber »

I wish I had submitted one for this fight - what a great idea...and a bunch of great songs here. I've decided to rate them this week by completely arbitrary criteria:

Does the song sound like the pixies (sensibility, arrangement), Most importantly, did the songfighter ape Kim's signature bass technique? Do the lyrics make sense(more points if they don't)? Did the songfighter include the "woo-hoos" from Where Is My Mind? How many times did the songfighter reference other Pixies songs (in lyrics)? Did the songfighter romanticize drug use or a broken life from drug use? Did the songfighter use any cliches to play on the word "Deal"? Did the songfighter mention Kim Gordon? Did the songfighter bare all, and indulge in a blatant, shameless Pixies ripoff?

Carol Cleveland
Pixies Sensibility: 5
Pixies Chord Progression/Arrangement: 8
Kim Deal Bassline: 10
Plays on the word "Deal": 2
Lyrics Don't really make sense (but are insanely genius anyway): 10
Blatant, Shameless Pixies Ripoff: 10

total: 45 points

Paco del Stinko
Kim Deal Bassline: 8
Pixies Sensibility: 8
Lyrics don't really make sense: 10
Reference to Pixies songs: 1

total: 35 points

Those Meddling Kids
Kim Deal Bassline: 4
Pixies Sensibility: 2
Pixies Chord Progression/Arrangement: 4
Kim "woo-hoos": 8
Kim/Kelly drug drama: 10

total: 28 points

Anchors
Kim Deal Bassline: 9
Pixies Sensibility: 9
Interesting re-envisioning of Pixies sound: 9

total: 45 points

Mr. Lostman
Kim "woo-hoos": 8
Kim Gordon References: 1
Pixies Sensibility: 4
Pixies Chord Progression/Arrangement: 9
Obvious References to Pixies Songs: 4
Mocking the Pixies: 1

total: 47 points

Luke Henley
Pixies Chord Progression/Arrangement: 3
Pixies Sensiblility: 8
Lyrics don't really make sense: 9
Drug drama: 8 points

total: 28 points

Booty Chesterfield
Pixies Chord Progression/Arrangement: 7
Pixie song titles: 4
Blatant, Shameless Pixies Ripoff - 10

total: 30 points

Dirty Allisons
Pixies Chord Progression/Arrangement: 9
Kim Gordon References: 1
Pixie song titles: 4
Blatant, Shameless Pixies Ripoff: 8
Interesting re-envisioning of Pixies sound: 7

total: 48 points

Katy and the Dwellers
Kim Deal Bassline: 5
Plays on the word "Deal": 1
Pixies Sensibility: 2
Pixies Chord Progression/Arrangement: 7
Blatant, Shameless Pixies Ripoff: 5
Mocking the Pixies: 1

total: 21 points
Evil never looked so good.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

HansGruber wrote: Pixies Sensibility: 2
I've got a good feeling that the Pixies sensibility wasn't to xerox other bands, but hey.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

The Anchors- This gets best Pixies imitation despite the lead guitar. The lead guitar is really annoying. The Frank Blackish vocals are great! The song is a bit repetitive, I think it would be stronger with another part, but the part it does have rocks.

The Booty Chesterfield Trio- Sounds like a stand up comedian making fun of the Pixies without funny material. The guitar playing is solid enough, the vocals are cool, the lead guitar is again really annoying. All the Pixie references do not entertain me.

Mr Lostman- The music is pretty cool, all the references to Pixie lyrics are annoying, but at least there’s more to the lyrics than just that. The female backing vox is nice.

Luke Henley- This is a good Pixies genre ode. I like this tune. This is a keeper. It’s all about the vocal performance gaining intensity as the song progresses. Good track!

Paco Del Stinko- PDS is one of my favorites here on Song Fight, I’ve yet to hear a track of his I didn’t like. This is no exception. Great playing, great dynamics, interesting and damn cool. The switch to ¾ at about 2:34 is brilliant (very Beatles-We Can Work it Out). The song reminds me of some of the Ween Stadium rockers like “Buckingham Greenâ€
beatlebrent
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by beatlebrent »

I understand the Pixies homage and Kim Deal references… but all that set aside I’ll try to attack the song being the way it is without my love for the pixies.

The Anchors – I dig the music part. The drums sound kinda fake, though… but the mix being a bit over-driven really helps that along. Kinda a harsh vocal in delivery. Not a lot of variation got boring quickly, until the ending with just the guitar. Would’ve thrown that in the middle. The guitar lick through out the whole song is a bit over the top.

The Booty Chesterfield Trio – It’s good acoustic roughness. Not bad. But not my fav. Needed more layers or variation for me to keep me interested. That 2nd electric guitar came in too late for me.

Carl Cleveland Sings – I like that your song stands out on its own style-wise. Song structure and mix are great. As far I songs I'd listen to over and over again, yours has that quality. I like it the best.

The Dirty Allisons – The drums are the most powerful part of this song… they push hard. I’m guessing they're fake? If not, then you recorded them very well. If so, then they sound very non-fake. I dig it. Song structure is rough.

Katy and the Dwellers – I know it’s not fair, but hearing a girl voice always wins me over. I’d like it more rockin’, but I dig it.

Luke Henley – I like that your entries are getting increasingly palatable from the early days. I think it’s a good entry. Super loose, but it works.

Mr. Lostman – I dig lo-fi. I dig the honesty of analog. I like the instrumentation of this whole thing.

Paco Del Stinko – I like the loose feel of this whole track. It kinda reminded me of some of Adam Sandler’s early work in an odd way. Not my fav, but not bad either.

Those Meddling Kids – The song itself is very radio friendly, but the delivery in the vocals is probably a bit too sloppy for mainstream.
The Anchors
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by The Anchors »

The Anchors
This is our 5th entry and features a new guitarist, Joe Mader. The Pixies have always had an influence on our music so we felt we had to do this song. And the drums are fake.

The Booty Chesterfield Trio
The vocals aren't bad but it was too boring.

Carol Cleveland Sings
30 seconds in and this totally rules. Great vocals and a ton of things going on keep this song interesting. I love the Pixies sound with the bass at around a minute and a half. I haven't listened to the other songs yet but it sounds like this will probably get my vote.

The Dirty Allisons
I like the drumming but the vocals turned me off immediately. Some nice lyrics though.

Katy and the Dwellers
Once again the vocals turned me off immediately. Nothing here that really grabs me.

Luke Henley
The lyrics deserve the spotlight here, they're simply great, as are the vocals. This song is great for what it is but I think I'm still leaning towards Carol Cleveland Sings.

Mr. Lostman
You're voice sounds perfect for ska. I'm not sure if that's a compliment. This best part of this song was the first few seconds where I thought that I had accidentally added "Where Is My Mind" to my current playlist. I was disappointed to find that this was not the case.

Paco Del Stinko
A little boring. Except for the Halloween sounding squeal at around 1:30.

Those Meddling Kids
I love TV on the Radio and I enjoyed the resemblances here (mostly the drums). You're vocals are standard TMK fare, awkwardly elegant. Not much else to say.

Luke Henley and Carol C. were my favorites with my vote going to the latter.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Kim Deal - Reviews

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Excellent fight with lots to offer everyone. I have several faves but there is nothing here that is cringe worthy, though I always seem to push the envelope in that direction!

The Anchors - A bit cluttery at points but the rhythm section drives it nicely-good and energetic. I couldn't understand much of the vocals. I like your distinctive sound very much though.

Booty Chesterfield - Loose, it sounds like you had much fun doing this. I like the room sound on the recording but think this is a bit tossed off feeling. Not a big fan of the listing of Pixies songs but this was easy going fun.

Carol Cleveland Sings - Irresistable. So many pleasant bits of sweetness melodically and elsewhere. Great arrangement, production, playing. I get lost in a 'don't want it to end' feeling when the bass and layering do their bit mid point.

The Dirty Allisons - This song really took off after the first listen - it's been stuck in my head since it came out. The drums are exciting like they threaten to run away but decide to hold it together instead. Love the active but not crowded production. Good song. Fun.

Katy And The Dwellers - Like the intro. Nice changes, singing and playing. I might like to hear a bit more bass. Nice and easy going, this is a fine song done well.

Luke Henley - Some great lyrics and singing despite the shaky bits. Great builds and dynamics. Sorry to label, but this might be considered folk-plus. Like milk-plus. Good song.

Mr.Lostman - Not a fan of the intro, this song has a good feel to it: it sounds like you enjoy what you're doing. I did like the personnals ad reference. Guitar as bass? Might've liked it back a bit but good playing throughout.

Paco- My 6th Songfight entry. Sorry, but they keep on coming!

Those Meddling Kids - I never know where your playing and singing is going to go-I enjoy both and the surprise ride that it takes me on. The first person perspective is a great idea well done, with subtle references. Keys, arrangement, it's light without being thin. Better each listen.

Again, very enjoyable fight with everyone seeming to fit in nicely. I can not vote for myself, I've yet to feel like my song is best in fight, and certainly not this one! My secret ballot will be cast prior to the deadline. Thanks for the music and for reading this. Love ya, Paco
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

The Anchors –
This is great. Maybe a little thin mix-wise - but I love the guitars and vox. Really good

The Booty Chesterfield Trio –
Not good enough in this field

Carol Cleveland Sings –
Generally the CCS ouvre has never really been my thing - but every now and again you do a song I really like. This is one of those. Beatlesque melodies, and great structure. Wonderful.

Katy and the Dwellers –
Not bad. I like your voice a lot - though I can sense the slightest touch of stiffness in it. Try alcohol - it works for me! My main problem with this is I don't like the chorus - the "What's the deal with Kim?' bit - I dunno - it's just not a phrase that sounds very natural to me. Seinfeld is the only person I've ever heard actually speak like that.

Luke Henley –
No - this not doing much for me.

Mr. Lostman –
You win first prize in the Pixies imitating contest! Great job musically - but the lyrics are pretty dumb (not that there is really anything wrong with dumb lyrics mind you...I should know...)

Paco Del Stinko –
I like this a lot. Great moody begining, and a lot of cool changes. I've got no idea what you're talking about. I love the bit where you say "Do you know how big my knob is"? (not sure if you actually do say that - but you should)

Those Meddling Kids –
Really well put together song - but the doubled vocals are just slightly out of kilter - and it spoils the effect. If you'd nailed the vocals, this would have been a contender.

and...

The Dirty Allisons –
This is my second joint writing effort with J$ (see Gallows Hill by The Ducking Stool) and once again the words seem to have wandered off to a very strange place (when I used the phrase "bass player sandwich" in a PM - I hadn't actually expected it to turn up as part of the lyric). Interesting mix job - I do like the raggedness of it - the background guitar noises do give it character. As mentioned by others - wonderful drums. Do tell J$ - how did you do that?

This was a very high quality fight - even if it was full of Pixie imitators. I've been listening to these on the train to work all week - and each run through leaves me with a different favourite. Vote will go to either CCS, Paco or The Anchors most likely - at the moment I'm swinging towards The Anchors
mr_lostman
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by mr_lostman »

time for reviews of the fight im in:

The Anchors: oh man, im really enjoying this sound. The lead guitar is kinda weird over the top but i love the vocals and the random feedback in the background. I really like your style of music.. we should totally collaborate sometime (maybe live drums? :wink: ) Only thing is i wish i could understand what your vocals are singin. Other than tha very good.

Booty Chesterfield Trio: Are you listing titles as a chorus? Thats not working for me. But your chords are pretty interesting i like 'em. heheh.... gimme MORE COWBELL!! But seriously, the whole idea of a trio doesn't really come in till much later in the song when the lead guitar comes in. Would like to hear more "band" work from this. and once again, the song title listing is pretty grating.

Carol Cleveland Sings: This is really really good. I like it a lot. It reminds me of one of my favorite bands by the name of Steadman. No real pixies references here.... unique kudos. Oh wait forgot about the ending. Which i LOVE. If i wasnt sure that this was the best song here, this ending sealed the deal. Congratulations you win my award for making me wonder if i whould still vote for myself when i know that you have done better.

Dirty Allisons: The band sound is very pixies and i like that. Like everyone else said the drums are awesome. I love the lead guitar in the verses. It just sits perfectly. The lyrics are the only thing that might make me not think this is the best song. The repetition of "Kim Deal, Kim Gordon", while it is incredibly catchy and infectious, it annoys me kind of. The "i can dream part" is great. Nicely done.

Katy and the Dwellers: The girl vocals stand out a bit in the mix. The guitar parts are really good. I like the Joey Santiago-ish lead guitar in the verses. Its like the song is half trying to rock and half trying to be folk-ish. It's not really working here. The rock parts i really enjoy. The girl folk song aspect holds the song back from really getting me.

Luke Henley: The song plods along and the vocals seem like they are trying to sound drunken but they aren't or.... your too drunk.... not sure. I read the lyrics for this on the lyrics thread and i really liked em. The music for this doesnt quite match what i was hoping for. Everything sounds like its falling apart... but somehow holds together. Interesting effect.

Mr. Lostman (me): did not realize i'd have to turn up my speakers for this one. Thanks to Bjam for the female vocals. I'm a huge pixies fan so i knew i had to do this title. I tried my best to sound like the pixies with clean chords in one speaker and the joey santiago lead in the other. Unfortunately, cant really get the steve albini drum sounds i wanted. I feel bad having to tell everyone who gives me props for using analog.... that im actually using digital... the quality is just how it comes out. Oh and kudos to everyone who got all the references especially paco for catching the personals ad reference. :)

Paco Del Stinko: wish that bass was more prominent. Your voice is almost unsettling, but so is the music so it fits. wow this gets pretty trippy. damn then into 3/4 and even more trippy. "you know how big my love is" nice reference. This last part is the best part of the song. Wish the rest held together as well.

Those Meddling Kids: Nice double vocals... they cut through well. are those pizzicato strings in the left speaker at 0:40? nice. "i could fool the world".... trompe le monde reference? I like these lyrics... they fit well together, sometimes they make no sense but when you realize what your saying its really interesting. hmmm... the ending works.... but i was hoping for something more.

Great fight everybody. not a bad song in the bunch. Looks like my vote is is a toss of the three sided die between myself, carol cleveland sings, and the anchors. Thanks for all the reviews everybody. :)
"I can't hear a thing,
'cause I've stopped listening!"
-BNL
The Anchors
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by The Anchors »

mr_lostman wrote:maybe live drums?
An interesting proposition. I'll private message you.
a bebop a rebop
Push Comes to Shove

Post by a bebop a rebop »

The Anchors - Badass. This sounds a lot like the Anchors. Your vocal delivery is still great, especially in the "Oh, Kim" bit. Nice ending. The song suffers from repetitiveness, song-wise and sonically.

Booty Chesterfield Trio - I've been listening to the songs in this fight a lot all week, and I've discovered that this song is the opposite of a grower. Maybe a witherer? Although it wasn't really too strong to begin with. Just too sketchy and tuneless to be interesting to me.

Carol Cleveland Sings - Great intro into the jammy guitar. I get a really strong Unicorns feel from this song -- the really free and childish vocals, the never-too-abrupt gear changes here and there, the silly synthesizer sounds. And it's all great. Nice Pixies send-up.

The Dirty Allisons - I want to first state that, musically, I had no part in this. I played the bassline, but it could have probably just as easily and certainly more capably been covered by j$ or Caravan Ray. I yelled a little bit too. The song's pretty damn great. Fast-paced, really interesting musically without being hyper, and I think it really captures the spirit of the Pixies. Excellent drum programming, too, as everyone else has mentioned.

Katy and the Dwellers - The female voice is nice. The bit where the two voices are singing the same part until one goes to the minor 3rd and the other goes major is really bothersome. Overall it's a pretty song, but it never goes anywhere.

Luke Henley - I really grew into this song a lot over the week. Some highlights for me - the opening lines, the lines about John Peel in the chorus, the great bass line, the doubled vocals in the second chorus and thereafter (especially where you get way up there on "did he die for music's sins" the third time), and the transition into the final chorus. Really nice song, even though it feels like it's just barely hanging on a lot of the time.

Paco del Stinko - I really like the gradual build to insanity at the start of this song. Are the drums real? Nice wailing in the middle here. That transition to three caught me totally off guard, but I like it.

Mr. Lostman - Nice opening, and I love your voice in this song. The song's real nice but, as in the Dwellers song, not enough happening to really compete in this (stellar) fight.

Those Meddling Kids - I totally dig this one, man. As always, I love the really active bass and drums. I'd have so much difficulty writing a song like this, you almost treat melodies as disposible, throwing in great hooks and then snapping them back before they overstay their welcome and almost before they really grab you -- for instance, the great synth line in the final instrumental repetition of the chorus at 2:08. I love the rhythm guitar sound too. Really great song, I've been listening to it all week.

I feel almost awful about this, but this fight was so strong at the top... I'm voting for tmk, with CCS in second, The Dirty Allison's (admittedly great) song in third, Luke fourth, and The Anchors fifth. All of those were songs I would have felt good about voting for in less competitive fights.
THIS IS NO JOKE