Sorry I dont get it
The good lord invented beer to keep me from taking over the world. -me
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

nerdcore sucks frontalot sucks
Niveous wrote:It's a song about your dick and there's just not enough material to satisfy.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Frontalot's the best nerdcore rapper there is, which puts him somewhere between Weird Al and Wesley Willis as a musician. Take that as you will.

"As wheelchair ramps are to stairs"? Do you mean "generally more fun, especially when you're travelling fast"? That may apply, actually.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I like when newbies think they have any sway over policy decisions.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

I just don't get nerdcore. But the friendfloods are what really get me. Somehow he's exempt from scorn.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Because he says "listen to the others." I dunno. But I mean, I've heard other people get shit for the same thing. I think he's being a gentleman about it, and I respect him repping for his roots. And hey, I'm mentioned on the Frontalot site! CHECKMATE MUH FUCKAS.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

it has been empirically demonstrated (http://songfight.org/artistpage.php?key ... e_redacted) that it doesnt matter if a frontalot song is publicized, or even has his name attached to it at all. there is no sense whining about what is beyond your control.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

I just think that if you're gonna tell your friends about the site you should tell them after the fight is over. I personally never tell my friends about songfight. I don't know why. I guess I just prefer to keep music seperate from friends.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

At least on his website he says that it's impolite to vote without listening to the others. That's not quite friend flooding.
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

Everyone should tell all of their friends about Songfight! all of the time. Even if they are not entered.

Steve
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, Mac
Submitting as: frankie big face
Pronouns: he/him

Post by frankie big face »

fodroy wrote:I personally never tell my friends about songfight. I don't know why. I guess I just prefer to keep music seperate from friends.
Well, that's good for you. But we don't all have to be like you, right? There's absolutely nothing wrong with MC Frontalot posting on his website that he has a new song--that's what his website is for. I don't think that's "friend-flooding." I'm his friend and I never get an e-mail saying "go vote for my song on SongFight." Since I rarely go to his site, I wouldn't even know he has a song in this fight if not for this poll.

If you really want to stop him from entering into fights, convince the Fightmaster to stop making stupid titles based on cross-promotions with online comic strips. Then he won't have anything to rap about. Obviously, the "powers that be" are interested in increasing site traffic (hence the Achewood promo) and what better way is there to increase traffic than to include a Frontalot song?
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Including a U2 song would be a better way, probably.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

This is not by any means a perfect analogy or anything, but imagine if eminem started entering fights, and announcing on his site that he did. Who do you think would get the most votes? Would this be fair for anyone else?

I really don't care one way or the other, but what about the people who submit really, *really* good songs that week, hoping to make a dent in, or possibly clean up on the voting thing, (the votes *are* important to some people. newsflash) and they find the fight is pretty much null and void because some popular artist with a rabid fanbase has entered? Does this promote songfight, or turn people off of it?

I can't help but think about the 'Romantic Cheapskate' fight. I know who the real winner of that fight was, and I think everyone else does too, but I recall people making *excuses* and digging *really deep* to dis this individual's song so as to justify their vote for Front. It was fucking ridiculous, especially since it was by no means Front's best song, and not even a very good one at that. I feel (and I could be wrong, duh) that people vote for the icon of Front-a-Lot when they see him in a fight (not to mention his random fans, outside of songfight) rather than voting on anything resembling musical merit. And that pretty much destroys the whole concept of songfight, doesn't it?

I guess I got long-winded. No, Front (or anyone for that matter) should not be 'banned'. That's ridiculous. He should request that his voting button be removed, though. That would show hell of style.
* this is not a disclaimer
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

I think this title should be changed to "front a lot of nonsense". Kind of a play on "what a lot of nonsense". But see, it's funnier, because instead of what its front. Like the rapper. But it also works as "Front(alot)? A lot of nonsense!" You have to imagine that one being read by an old English gentlemen with a monocle and a cane(quite possibly of the Twisp and Catsby air). But it also works as "Frontalot? Nonsense!" As in some Songfighter sitting at their computer and going "Whaaaaat? Frontalot is in this fight? Nonsense! Oh no, it's true... :("

That is what would make this thread 1.456 times better.

Also, then the grammar would be better too.
Songfighter since back in the day.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, Mac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

jb wrote:Including a U2 song would be a better way, probably.
I'm not sure they read Achewood. But yeah, probably.

Sven, who cares if he wins every fight he enters? I don't know who "really" won the Romantic Cheapskate fight, but can't you just ignore the votes Front received and assume the "real" winner to be the real winner?

I think it's kind of cool that he still posts songs here and continues to be inspired by the titles. However, if he's only participates when SongFight is "Achewood-themed," then the whole business starts to seem like an in-joke between a bunch of friends and that kind of sucks. Just my 2 cents.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

If you wander over to this thread here:

http://www.songfight.net/forums/viewtop ... 6&start=66

You'll discover that many songfighters out there learned of Songfight! through MCF.

...And from the poll, it also seems pretty clear that "word of mouth" is the runaway leader in bringing new participants / fans to the site.

So, I'd say the promotion he gives this site is a good thing, and that everyone should emulate his example, and tell all their buddies about Songfight!

(Ultimately, the more voters in the pool, the better the odds that "Friend Floods" will have less of an effect.)
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Yeah but guys. He said my NAME ON HIS WEBSITE CHECKMATE MUH FUCKAS!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I thought that Mr. Frontalots' post was appropriate and done in a gentleman-like manner. I'm sure that he'll bring a heap of votes, but maybe many or even just some of those voters will check out all, many, or some of the other songs. Especially the ones he mentioned like... Luke Henley! Maybe some will stick around, review, submit, etc. This, to a dumb new guy, seems alright.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

How about a little perspective?
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

deshead wrote:How about a little perspective?
Ha! Indeed. My favorite is this one:
Bokt.nl
A bulletin board dedicated to horses (in dutch)
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

More to the point why aren't the goddamn Spinto Band doing more to publicize SF (and me)?! They could take friend-flooding to a whole new level.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

frankie big face wrote:
fodroy wrote:I personally never tell my friends about songfight. I don't know why. I guess I just prefer to keep music seperate from friends.
Well, that's good for you. But we don't all have to be like you, right?
I wasn't trying to sound all self-righteous. More just having an out-loud realization about my weird secrecy issues. (I recorded an album this summer, in my house, using my roommate's drums and he has no idea that the album even exists. Just an example.) I don't see a problem with telling people about songfight. I just wish people would deemphasize the voting. The music and the creative process are, I feel, the best thing about songfight.