Hello

New Players stand up and be counted.
PlainSongs
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Plain Songs for Doves & Tigers, Nu igen!

Hello

Post by PlainSongs »

Hello folks,

I just submitted a first song :)

I'd checked out some of the tunes posted here in the past, some are really neat, easily meriting mp3 player space. Didn't feel up to it myself though... But then I liked the '501' title and got motivated. Pretty challenging, what with the deadline and all...! But fun, and makes you learn stuff.

Looking forward to listening to your takes at '501' and hopefully seeing some useful comments.

cheers!

Plain Songs for Doves & Tigers
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

Welcome!

So do you do like...Gregorian chant?
PlainSongs
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by PlainSongs »

Lord of Oats wrote:So do you do like...Gregorian chant?
Heh... rarely listen to it... a bit too holy. But I was in a cathedral lately where they played it - very atmospheric.

My musical tastes... let's give a few names: Bulat Okudzhava, Kristin Hersh, The Beatles, Porcupine Tree, San Ul Lim, Islands, Tarmac, J.S. Bach, il Maniscalco maldestro, Philip Jeays... it goes on.

Do you like...those?

I play the guitar and sing which is as common as it gets, but try at least to aim for some of the "hey?!" the above musicians create.
by Plain Songs for Doves & Tigers
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I have a professor who was asked in class the other day whether he ever feels pressured by deadlines. His response was that he doesn't understand how anyone ever gets any work done without a deadline.

Pulling from a more esoteric source, George Lucas once remarked, "Work is never done, it's just due."

Welcome, PlainSongs. Aspire to greatness.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Cute, but I think he missed it. And perhaps your shortest post ever?

Oh yeah...welcome Plain Songs!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

obligatory: PLEASE DON'T SUCK!

And for the rest of you: Slackers.
PlainSongs
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by PlainSongs »

röymond wrote:
Huh? Checking Wiki... Oh! ... "plainsong". I had no clue! Hurray, learned something... But picked a bit of a confusing name, then. My 501 is not quite monophonic. Oh well, perhaps change the 'band' name later.

Thanks for the welcomes dudes! I do agree that aspiring to greatness beats not minding other folks' ears.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

PlainSongs wrote:
röymond wrote:
Huh? Checking Wiki... Oh! ... "plainsong". I had no clue! Hurray, learned something... But picked a bit of a confusing name, then. My 501 is not quite monophonic. Oh well, perhaps change the 'band' name later.
Don't sweat it. That's just one definition. Looking forward to your song, however plain it may be :)
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

I didn't really expect anyone to show up here who specializes in arhythmic monophony. I think it might be a little outdated, myself. Although I would welcome anyone who does. Or doesn't. I like to keep things simple, myself, though a fellow accompanied by one instrument gets old quickly. Nothing wrong with doing it, so long as it doesn't last for an entire album. It really puts the songwriting under intense scrutiny, and everything seems as good or bad as it is, usually. It's an honest medium. But it can bore me. I think music with somewhere from 3-7 simultaneous voices is perfect for the typical human attention span, or at least mine. To answer your question, I do like Bach and the Beatles, and I don't really know the other ones. If those have had an influence, that ought to bode well for you. We'll see how your stuff goes. Like everyone else here, I can only offer my opinion on it.
"81 songs and 569 posts in 4 months. You don't mess around when it comes to messing around." - fluffy
PlainSongs
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by PlainSongs »

I quite agree, Oats. Because of the stuff you mention, my entry in fact has two guitars, voice and a little percussion (guitar body, can-o-pepper :)

Still I'd love to be able to pull off a song with just one guitar and voice. A lofty dream as it requires great lyrics and great vocal and guitar skills that can work independently.

Plain but not quite:

Bulat Okudzhava (click on 'miscellaneous tracks', 2nd song; has translation)
Kristin Hersh
Dead Heart Bloom
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

porcupine tree are awesome! i was listening to them just yesterday. they put on a heck of a live show.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas