Be a part of the new Songfight Radio!

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Be a part of the new Songfight Radio!

Post by jack »

SONGFIGHT RADIO

well, we all miss the old Songfight radio. It's left a big ole black songhole in our world....and while the Fightmasters are working on a more permanent solution to the plan, i talked to them both recently about an idea i had that could be an easy way to implement something similar, and have anyone that wants to contribute. even those of you that don't play any instruments.

we're talking Songfight radio shows. building m3u streams that are mini shows. playlists composed of a combination of mp3 songs and voiceovers set up like a DJ would set up a show. to illustrate this, i've built one. the process for this was very easy and only required an additional 4 mp3 files in this case. for the intro, i used a ray charles cover i recorded that segues into the first voiceover/introduction. then 4 songs follow. then the first real voiceover. 3 more songs. another voiceover. 4 more songs. a final voiceover into the outro. the whole thing took me about an hour to do and it was a blast because i got to dig around the archive and pick some nuggets.

http://sfradio.songfight.net/10byjack/10byjack.m3u

really, if there's one thing we are consistent about, it's the fact that we can't agree on what is good music. so prove it. here's your chance to show the world why you think so-and-so is the baddest mofo on Songfight, or why such-and-such was the best fight.

this is in a very formative stage at this point, and i'll let the fightmasters decide the best way to implement something like this in the grand scheme of it all. all i'm interested doing at this stage is drumming up support for it, getting people to create some lists of their own and send them in. this sort of thing just makes sense. a large percentage of us are record-enabled to do voiceovers. we are all opinionated as hell. and this would promote the archive and the diversity of Songfight and it's community really well.

so if you're interested in doing something like this, post here. i'll IM you instructions if you need it. but at the very least, check out the "sample" show i did for an idea of the kind of thing i'm talking about.
Last edited by jack on Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi!
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

sounds like a kick ass idea to me... \m/...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

I'm in. Cool!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

to keep things easy for now, it would be best to have the voiceover mp3 files and m3u hosted on songfight.net. if you are planning on doing a show, IM me and we can discuss getting this done. also, it would probably be good to keep the overall stream length to about a half hour or so. i guess if you wanted to do an hour stream that would be cool, but try to do the magic on the voiceovers. thats what will make this. it would even be cool to fake the old "live in the studio with hoblit" routine, where i can get some samples from hoblit and mingle them with mine like we're talking. or i can be interviewing glenn. you get the idea. come up with more. but at the fightmaster's request, keep it all hosted on songfight.net.
Hi!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i can't stream it here at work, but is it set up as a series of files, or one big mp3 with fades?
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

series of files, not one big mp3.

edit...i should mention that the voiceovers need to be clipped pretty tight on both ends. some of the songs in the stream (i'm noticing this of the puce track..) have a longish space at the end, which hold up the bounce to the next voiceover in my realplayer. not sure if that's associated with the original track from the archive.
Hi!
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Excellent idea, Jack Shite. I'm in.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Love to take part...... awesome idea Jack.... still wrestling with my update to my studio..... soon I'll be in the swing of things
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Re: Be a part of the new Songfight Radio!

Post by erik »

jack shite wrote:playlists composed of a combination of mp3 songs and voiceovers set up like a DJ would set up a show. to illustrate this, i've built one.
Jack, I think this is a great idea. Here is a suggestion:

Formalize some sort of naming scheme, so that people who like the taste of one DJ can find more playlists organized by that DJ. Something like:

sfradio.songfake.not/Jackshite/10byjack.m3u

sfradio.songfake.not/Jackshite/songsforcleaninghouse.m3u

sfradio.songfake.not/Erik/songsmymomwouldlike.m3u

Not to in any way suggest that every playlist should have a theme, but just a name and a DJ to classify it by.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Re: Be a part of the new Songfight Radio!

Post by jack »

15-16 puzzle wrote:
jack shite wrote:playlists composed of a combination of mp3 songs and voiceovers set up like a DJ would set up a show. to illustrate this, i've built one.
Jack, I think this is a great idea. Here is a suggestion:

Formalize some sort of naming scheme, so that people who like the taste of one DJ can find more playlists organized by that DJ. Something like:

sfradio.songfake.not/Jackshite/10byjack.m3u

sfradio.songfake.not/Jackshite/songsforcleaninghouse.m3u

sfradio.songfake.not/Erik/songsmymomwouldlike.m3u

Not to in any way suggest that every playlist should have a theme, but just a name and a DJ to classify it by.
yeah. this is a great idea. for starters, what i'll do is for each person that IM's me the fact that they have something done, i'll create a subfolder for them. and we'll work out getting the files to the server. the only files we have to worry about uploading are the voiceovers and the m3u file. they can name their m3u files like erik suggests if they like.
Hi!
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

jack i don't have any of your instant message info... what's your s/n and what do you use aim, yahoo, msn, etc... etc...?
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

at the bottom of each of my posts, you'll see 2 letters. PM. push it.
Hi!
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

June......I'm pretty sure...............................he meant.................. you know.....

PM....

(etc)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

The pilot episode of The DJ Goodtime Johnny Show is recorded, streamed and sent to Jack. John Peel is climbing out of his grave, craving brains, as we speak ....

j$
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Hi!
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

OHH dude, am more than in... I have an idea for a web app with this though.

Imagine a place where the DJ can login, and upload his show (m3u playlist),
then he would have to find a spot in the schedule for his show to be played ( just like real radio), don’t worry they'll be ways of making sure, everyone would get a decent airtime(and not like 3am everyday). then a program would always be checking the Master Schedule, and making sure the correct show is play in its slot. Then like this there would be always 1 LIVE stream. Then people would know that "Jacks TOP 10" would be every Tuesday & Saturdays at 3pm est., and "H inc sleep sleep show" would be everyday at 1am. Users would be able to login and update their shows with new weekly episodes, and yet they’ll be an archive of the old episodes to listen to as well.
I should be able to code all this in less than a week(am quite frankly i can't wait to start) but am some what swamp with things to do, right now, but hopefully I’ll be able to start doing this in the next week or two.

Great idea jack, enjoyed your show at work, but found your fake deep deep voice very disturbing.
Last edited by drë on Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Ah, how good is Puce's Dirty Chucks? I'd not heard that before.

Purpose served, in a very small way, I guess ... :)

j$
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

dre wrote:OHH dude, am more than in... I have an idea for a web app with this though.

Imagine a place where the DJ can login, and upload his show (m3u playlist),
then he would have to find a spot in the schedule for his show to be played ( just like real radio), don’t worry they'll be ways of making sure, everyone would get a decent airtime(and not like 3am everyday). then a program would always be checking the Master Schedule, and making sure the correct show is play in its slot. Then like this there would be always 1 LIVE stream. Then people would know that "Jacks TOP 10" would be every Tuesday & Saturdays at 3pm est., and "H inc sleep sleep show" would be everyday at 1am. Users would be able to login and update their shows with new weekly episodes, and yet they’ll be an archive of the old episodes to listen to as well.
I should be able to code all this in less than a week(am quite frankly i can't wait to start) but am some what swamp with things to do, right now, but hopefully I’ll be able to start doing this in the next week or two.

Great idea jack, enjoyed your show at work, but found your fake deep deep voice very disturbing.
he. i did the pitch shifted vox before i knew i'd be posting it here. i like your ideas about automation and live stream but that would have to be something that could be worked out with the fightmasters and embraced by them. you might want to send them a private message to discuss that. but it does sound like a cool idea. i'm just a cheerleader. and a DJ.
Hi!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Sorry - I'm a bit thick and not quite up with you kids and your electronic gizmos.

How's this m3u stuff work? I downloaded the file and it's playing - but the songs didn't download - so I'm guessing I have to be on-line to listen. That makes it inconvenient at work - and probably impossible at home with dial-up.

It's a great idea - I'd like to burn the little radio shows onto cd so I can listen to them in the car. Can I do that?

I'm guessing I can download each track individually as an mp3 - but then I'll loose the continuity and all the files will come out in alphabetical order.

I've got no idea what I'm doing....

...what does this button d
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

jack shite wrote: that would have to be something that could be worked out with the fightmasters and embraced by them.
ok... i wasen't really think of it as the "Official SOngfight radio" but ya,

J$,
Never though of myself as a homophobic but your DJ voice made me feel very uneasy... yeeeaaay !
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Caravan Ray wrote:How's this m3u stuff work? I downloaded the file and it's playing - but the songs didn't download - so I'm guessing I have to be on-line to listen. That makes it inconvenient at work - and probably impossible at home with dial-up.
I'm guessing I can download each track individually as an mp3 - but then I'll loose the continuity and all the files will come out in alphabetical order.
[/i]
you do need to be online to stream - it plays the songs in your player without having to download them - which means you can play it nice and fast and listen to it like an album or a radio.

What you can do (i think) download the songs AND save the playlist through WMP - which you can then use in some CD Burners to act as your track order - I guess you'd have to repoint to the files on your hard drive though, which sounds like a lot of work. Or as you download them, rename them 1,2,3 etc might work ...

j$
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

:lol: It's awesome to be a part of both Jack's and J$'s radio show! I think I might have to figure out how to do one too! Thanks guys :idea:
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!