Song Fight Orchestra

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

You mean the list of people who have already submitted, or the total list of people who've volunteered?

So, everyone, I've been out of two for a while, and I'm back now, so I'm going to catch up on the total compilation in the next day or so. Watch for a post when it is ready.

Also, while on the road I came up with another related idea, and I wonder if it would work. Let me know what you think:

This would be the exact same concept as Song Fight Orchestra, with two major changes: Each selection can be a maximum of only maybe 10 seconds in length (actual max length I'm not sure of, but very very short) and there are no fade outs or fade ins or overlaps. Every bit would have a very hard start and cutoff. So my job would be merely to attach the next bit on to the end of the mix. So the collaborative aspect would be at a much granular level. Currently, the way the pieces are connecting is very nice, and while everyone is doing it a little different, most of the time there is a tiny bit of overlap. Also, with 45 seconds to work with, each person can pretty much establish their own musical idea, almost a whole song for each person, at least a verse of a whole song. With only 10 seconds to work with, no one person would be able to write an entire melody or lyric all by themselves. What would this sound like? Would it be fun? It would come out better of course if it wasn't part of the real fight titles at all, but would just be a side thing unrelated to any titles. Plus, with only 10 seconds, the week turnaround would be too slow. Anyway, is this a good idea or a stupid idea or somewhere inbetween?
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i guess the only way to know would be to try it and see what happens.
it might be interesting though, if each person only hears the 10 seconds immediately preceding them. "attach something to this" you could tell them, without any information about what has come before.
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

Jim of Seattle wrote:You mean the list of people who have already submitted, or the total list of people who've volunteered?
How about all the people who have volunteered in chronological order of joining so I can get a good idea who to expect next week.
I'm back.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Southwest_Statistic wrote:
Jim of Seattle wrote:You mean the list of people who have already submitted, or the total list of people who've volunteered?
How about all the people who have volunteered in chronological order of joining so I can get a good idea who to expect next week.
How could this help in any way apart from spoil the surprise / game of guessing who it is?

j$
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

j$ wrote: How could this help in any way apart from spoil the surprise / game of guessing who it is?
Oh, I didn't realize there was one... I assumed everybody else knew about above said list and somehow I missed it.
I'm back.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I don't think it's an official game, it just seems to have evolved that way ...
anyhoo

J$
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

j$ is right. There's no official game, but Jack Shite suggested it would be fun to have people try to guess at the end of the year. But I don't mind telling you who any of the clips have been, since it's not official or anything. As far as knowing who to expect, I'm not necessarily picking people in chronological order of when they volunteered. I always ask people about a week in advance, and as often as not, the person writes back that the next week isn't good for them, so I pick someone else, then go back to them later, so the order is all confused. Generally, though, the people who volunteered first have gotten to go first.

The list is on my bulletin board at home. Next time I remember when I'm home I'll post the list of people involved.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

<font color=red size = 4>HELP!!</font>

Due to an unprecedented sequence of lousy luck, I am left without a SFO participant this week. Because it's been fraught with misfortune, I've decided to give up asking people one at a time and putting the request out there to whomever wants to take it on this week, due on Friday. The first person to PM me saying they can do it gets to do it, whether or not you've submitted one already or not. The second person to PM me will get to go next week, with the titles that come out Friday (or Saturday).
Dan Wrekenhaus 2
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Dan Wrekenhaus 2 »

I am down, as I assume would be my crew. If you want to have a style-idea to help placement you can hear some of our works here, http://www.voltineers.com/christmas - more here, http://voltineers.com. The latter is older chronologically. Good idea methinks.
Even on the <a href="http://poemtastic.com">internet</a> I can't make friends.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

inlight of the fact that I just noticed this thread had 2112 views...I vote the next segment somehow be Rush-esque.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

a 45 second working-man-like drum solo!
Hi!
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Sorry I'm late in the compilation. I plan to catch up tomorrow.

You're on the list, Werkenhorse.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Alright, I'm caught up. The Song Fight Orchestra opus is now almost 8 minutes long. Bad news is that SOMEONE MISSED THEIR TURN and so we have one week without an entry. The string of SFO being in every fight is now broken, thanks to YOU! (You know who you are.) So, the person who is taking their turn this week needs to go back two weeks to find what to follow.

So listen to the compilation so far. Lots of cool stuff! Sorry I haven't been more involved. Personal stuff got in the way, but I'm back now, baby. No more missed weeks from any entrants, 'k?

Check it out, link is in my signature.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Jim of Seattle wrote:Alright, I'm caught up. The Song Fight Orchestra opus is now almost 8 minutes long. Bad news is that SOMEONE MISSED THEIR TURN and so we have one week without an entry.
a 45 second coda perhaps? :)
Hi!
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

also, i just listened to the whole piece and i have to say that it flows pretty damn well so far. i'm really impressed. one of the cooler aspects of it is how certain segments, notable those done by CCS, j$, leaf, and erik all tell little stories within the bigger story, like they are characters within a play.

it's almost more opera than orchestra. :)
Hi!
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Jim of Seattle wrote: Bad news is that SOMEONE MISSED THEIR TURN and so we have one week without an entry.
Don't think of it as a week without an entry. Think of it as a clearmountain pause.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Niveous wrote:
Jim of Seattle wrote: Bad news is that SOMEONE MISSED THEIR TURN and so we have one week without an entry.
Don't think of it as a week without an entry. Think of it as a clearmountain pause.
Touche!
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Help, I've lost count.

Is someone doing SFO this week? I have gotten all confused. If you are doing SFO this week, would you please let me know ASAP?
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

hey i have been really out of the loop, but i just realized what this thing was all about. i would love to do something for it further on down the road!

-craig
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

You're in, Craig. There is no deadline for participating. I've just been going down the list of folks. Your turn should actually come up fairly soon, in a month or so, as I'm getting just a few participants away from starting over from the top.

Again, anyone slated for this week? If not, I have a plan, but I don't want there to be two SFO entries in the same week!
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

I haven't heard either. Or I missed somthing...
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face