The Archive Project

Post lyrics to your song fight entries. If you have lyrics in search of music, post those here in the Lyric Marte thread.
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

I was messing around today and added a few more features out of pure curiosity, namely artist stats.

E.g: http://www.dillfrog.com/tools/songfight ... octothorpe

You can see what other artists often submitted for the same song as a given artist, and instances of strong preference for/against your artist. Apparently MC Frontalot w/Badddspellah got the most recorded votes (614) followed by Josh Woodward (584) and Abominominous (427). Though I think it's a given that votes only mean so much. Good fun facts though. :)

The m3u stream feature doesn't seem to work yet, and I'm very confused, but will probably figure it out a different day.

Thanks for resolving all those broken URLs; I'll try writing an interface to parse the lyrics and reviews the next time I get bored.

(Disclaimer again: the URL above is just me messing around, and should not be considered anything but an unofficial prototype; you're welcome to steal whatever you like, source code and all)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Plat wrote:stuff above
Wow - that's awesome! A statisticians dream!
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Yeah this is pretty cool. More sterling work!

I am not big on votes, but is it possible to have a votes out of?

i.e. j$ - Snooter May 20,2004 19 / 93 -

I think it will give a more accurate impression to the casual reader.

Cos a lot of my 'big' votes came in fights with not so many people to choose from and I wouldn't want anyone get the erroneous sensation that I was popular, or anything :P

And also also - this makes me think - I would like to consolidate further all my alternate identities so that the J$ list is a complete representation of my SF entries. There are quite a few that are solo efforts - or featuring 'guests' - is now a good time to put a list together for someone?

Questions, questions ...
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Hey Plat, the stream all function is working for me at the office in WinAmp under Win2K.

Just wondering, though, they are listed chronologically on the page, but they stream in alphabetical order...
Plat
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Plat »

I realize this is straying from the topic of lyric archival. If this should be pushed to a different thread, please feel free to move it to its rightful place. Depending on how/if the Songfight! lyric system evolves though, some of these questions could come up.
j$ wrote:I am not big on votes, but is it possible to have a votes out of?

i.e. j$ - Snooter May 20,2004 19 / 93 -
I'm not sure how helpful it'll be, but I added the total fight vote count to the right of each bar on the "View Artist" page:

http://www.dillfrog.com/tools/songfight ... _cashpoint

(e.g. the "From This Day On" song shows 6/63 votes). The blue bar's width signifies how strongly the votes compared to other song submissions for that title. For example, "From This Day On"'s highest per-artist vote count is 14, so your bar will extend 6/14ths of what it could.

To further confuse things, the artist-page bar doesn't extend as long as the song-page bar (I need the space), and the "Votes" column extends the width of the widest bar, not the width of a "100%" bar, though that could be changed easily.

I never claimed to know what I was doing ;-). Hopefully that explanation makes sense.
j$ wrote:And also also - this makes me think - I would like to consolidate further all my alternate identities so that the J$ list is a complete representation of my SF entries. There are quite a few that are solo efforts - or featuring 'guests' - is now a good time to put a list together for someone?
I don't want to speak for anyone else, but it seems like a cool thing to do, though it could be implemented in a few different ways. Depending on what you're looking for, though, it could make the system rather complex, requiring significant effort to code/maintain. Here are two angles to linking artists/etc together (though I'm sure there are other approaches), PURELY HYPOTHETICAL:

1) Store a list of "artist aliases" (er, by artist I mean the "band" who submitted a song, not a specific member of that project). This would only be used to merge songs under the exact same artist.

For example, if you submit a song as "Johnny Cashpoint" and also as "J$", really the artist and style are all the same, so you'd want both of these to be considered the same artist. Thus all the "Johnny Cashpoint" and "J$" songs would show up on the same "View Artist" page, merging your vote/"preferred over"/etc stats and treating you as one single artist.

It would NOT be intended for indirectly relating artists (as a "See Also:" might do). For example, let's say I submit all my more polished pop/rock songs as "The Cow Exchange", and all my experimenal/dirty/failure songs as "An Unexpected Error". Even though the two artists have the same band member (me), I would never want their stats or musical styles to be treated as the same. An alias would not be used to link these two.

Really, this feature would be the same as if Spud (or whoever) renamed the artists in that "archive.txt" file, so that they were normalized. I'm not sure if this (#1) is even an issue at this point. But I'm a newbie still.

2) Store a member list in the system, and relate artists/songs to those members.

For example, let's say that the system (not just the forums) knows about Johnny Cashpoint (the human), Plat, Spud, etc. At that point, you'd build another layer of depth by tying these members to an artist(s) or song(s).

For example, at the user-to-artist level we might store information like:
  • "Plat" is a "keyboardist/vocalist" for the artist "The Cow Exchange"
    "JoeSchmoe" is a "lyricist" for the artist "The Cow Exchange"
    "PapaMurphy" is a "official chef" for the artist "The Cow Exchange"
    (Basically, someone is a member of some artist, and you fill in the blank what their role is)
Or at the user-to-song level we might store information like:
  • "Plat" "contributed vocals" on the song "I'm With Steve Now" by "The Cow Exchange"
    "Puce" "mixed the tracks" on the song "Gift With Purchase" by "The Bloody Hams"
Or at the artist-to-artist level we might store highly subjective information like:
  • If you like "Down With Gender" you might also like "DWG"
From that information, we can dynamically build lists of related artists, given either the member's ID ("show me all the artists Plat has been involved with") or an artist ("show me all the artists related to The Cow Exchange", or "I like The Cow Exchange; who else should I listen to?")

Of course, this can become a very tedious and detailed task, so it'd almost have to be self-service (that is, you're not constantly asking someone else to update it, with each song) in order to work.

To be self-service, you need to tie it into the [forum] login identity system or risk having mismatched IDs (e.g. Plat from the forums might have a separate login ID and password to do the self-service song updates.. yuck! not to mention someone would have to coordinate the handing out of these new IDs). Oh, and a member would have to be given access rights in order to update info for his/her artist (unless there's a trusted group that won't mess up entries which aren't their own).Trust me, it's kind of gross to tack on once the songs have started rolling in.

And also, just like not everyone posts lyrics, not everyone would fill out these details - it'd have to be optional. Finally, like forums or anything else, moderation would be involved, and would have to be accommodated for in the code. For example, I might untruthfully list that a member has some vulgar role with one of my artists. Or I might thoughtlessly compare my artist to all the uber-popular artists solely to attract more listens.

Wow.. So uh.. that's probably more than you wanted to read. But hopefully it gives some insight into its potential complexity (and potential awesomeness). It wouldn't have to go that deep, but it could, and I'm staying away from there for now, because of all the upfront work (mainly setting up member accounts and giving them artist permissions) and the fact that this is an unofficial prototype that could be shut down any day.

Personally I'd hold off on making that list, because I don't know if/when you'd ever get to enter it into a system, but whatever makes you happy.
Spud wrote:Hey Plat, the stream all function is working for me at the office in WinAmp under Win2K.

Just wondering, though, they are listed chronologically on the page, but they stream in alphabetical order...
I think I fixed the song ordering issues, so the playlists should match up with what you see on the Web page. There's no way to flip the ascending/descending order, though that wouldn't be too hard to do.

Also, I fixed some of the m3u problems I was having, and it's working in IE/FooBar2000 now. You might find it working with Win98SE also. It had to do with how some browsers improperly handled the "Vary" HTTP header, I guess.

P.S.: It's a shame this forum meters post count instead of post length ;-).
Last edited by Plat on Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

I'm sorry, did I miss the part where everyone in the songfight community says: <b>Plat - THIS IS AWESOME!</b> and we line up to have his baby?

Just checking.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I'm in awe, actually, it's pretty amazing.
Nice work, Plat.
Do you have to trigger it to read the database manually?
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Oh yeah, as I said before, pretty damn cool work, Plat. It is such a compact thing, it's great!

In answer to your question about consolidating - the way I would like it (and it's just a suggestion) is one name in the list (thus making the list shorter and quicker to navigate) then a list within main name, followed by alternative names. The alternative names should maybe incorporated into a search artist function, so for example ...

In the a-z, it's 'Johnny Cashpoint'

On the Cashpoint 'page'

A list of all the songs by Johnny Cashpoint

Then a list of songs by Johnny & June, etc etc

and maybe a see also: for my collaborative stuff - Johnny in the Corner, Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints, Transatlantic Fight Club etc

(and also personally quite handy - a Johnny Cashpoint is NOT: list. People still erroneously suspect that I had a hand in the Johnny Cash machines. :) )

Now possibly the best way of doing this would some kind of registration then a form to fill in so that artists can do it themselves and thus save you a shed-load of work.

Like I said just some ideas - what do other people think?

j$
NeilThrun
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by NeilThrun »

The Songfight Explorer Is amazing who ever took the time to make it rocks, is this meant as a replacement for the old archive?

Also linking to related projects of any artist would be nice.
Maybe a form for submitting lyrics aswell?
Plat
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Plat »

NeilThrun wrote:The Songfight Explorer Is amazing who ever took the time to make it rocks, is this meant as a replacement for the old archive?
It's experimental, demonstrational, proof-of-concept, whatever you want to call it. But it's absolutely not intended as an official replacement for the archive. It was an independent little project for my own personal use. I'm more than willing to give up its source code, if it ever comes in handy.

To (hopefully) avoid future confusion, I added a disclaimer to its footer.

So far it's all based on pre-existing data; I'm hesitant to let people add new stuff, because it could confuse the "is it official?" question further, and my ass would be kicked harder the day the site disappeared. It was just mentioned here in response to the lyric archiving question. Thanks, BTW.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Can I just say that after checking the Archive Explorer I have come to the conclusion that Plat RULEZ!!!!! Killer dude. Killer.... make it official. It rocks.

Pablo
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

It will be integrated into the official archive in the long run.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Hey...

Just wondering about the status of the project to add the lyrics for old fights to the new songfight network forums.

Is the plan to create many threads under this topic, one for each old fight, and then somehow populate them with the appropriate lyrics?

Or to put them into some variation on the Songfight Explorer thingie that was prototyped a while back?

I read in here that the old lyric threads have been "harvested"; is anybody doing anything about replanting them?

Anything I could work on to help make this happen?

Charles (Art is my middle name, Artless is just my reputation!)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Bump
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Just now noticed that the old Songfight discussion board on dumbrella seems to be gone. No idea if it's permanent or not, but the rest of the site seems to be working, so we may have finally been wiped out. Most missed (by me) will be the old lyrics thread, with all the old song lyrics...

So, let me ask again: assuming those old postings were successfully harvested by somebody, is there a plan for constructing lyric threads for the old songs in the new forum? Anything I can do to help out with a project like that?

Charles (Art is my middle name!)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

You could always start listening to songs and transcribing lyrics, chuck. :)
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Plat
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Plat »

king_arthur wrote:So, let me ask again: assuming those old postings were successfully harvested by somebody, is there a plan for constructing lyric threads for the old songs in the new forum? Anything I can do to help out with a project like that?
I've got the old lyric thread from dumbrella, and a lot of them were automatically added to the demo songfight explorer. I'm sure some of them weren't parsed properly though, so it could use some manual editing.

If you're seriously interested in normalizing this, I can make a crude interface for you to do so (and provide the old thread), and I can auto-export the lyric data for anyone who wants to use it in their own project.

Unless someone else wants to take the ball on this one; I've promised myself to too many projects lately, but adding a quick lyric-entry interface shouldn't be a big deal.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Do me an interface-for-dummies, and I'll happily take on a project like that. Quiet times at work from April-June ....

j$
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Man, that thing's nice. I forgot about this.
We could also use the new fights' lyrics in there, eventually.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

jb wrote:You could always start listening to songs and transcribing lyrics, chuck. :)
And I might be willing to do some of that, once there is an agreement on where to put them so that everybody can see them, and once I know that nobody is sitting there poised to perldrop a few hundred existing lyrics into the lyric thread as soon as they're given the secret password. Or something.

The SF explorer is very cool, but it still carries many "this will go away unexpectedly" sorta disclaimers. The new old lyric archive seems to be the official place to put lyrics, but there's no way for me to post "as" somebody else to put their lyrics up. But if we could define a format for posting lyrics to an old fight (performer in LARGE, lyrics in NORMAL size font, a separate post for each song, a seperate thread for each fight) and just divide up the work by saying, like, "whoever creates the new lyric archive thread for 'Birds of Our Own' is resposible for adding all the lyrics for that fight to that thread and shouldn't start a different thread until they're done with BOOO."

Charles
Plat
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Plat »

king_arthur wrote:The SF explorer still carries many "this will go away unexpectedly" sorta disclaimers. The new old lyric archive seems to be the official place to put lyrics
Very good point. I'm all for using the forums if we can, since it already exists, is official, and already has a bunch of lyrics.

If it helps any, I archived the old lyric thread over here. I think someone else (Spud?) might have a cleaner, single-page "printer-friendly" copy.
king_arthur wrote:but there's no way for me to post "as" somebody else to put their lyrics up.
Will this matter much in general, or be something a Lyric Archive Moderator could take care of? (That is, making edits to old lyrics that a different user posts on songfight.net)
king_arthur wrote:... divide up the work by saying, like, "whoever creates the new lyric archive thread for 'Birds of Our Own' is responsible for adding all the lyrics for that fight to that thread and shouldn't start a different thread until they're done with BOOO."
As an innocent bystander, this sounds cool to me. I prefer boldness over changes of font size, but that would never stop me from reading lyrics.

When you say "all the lyrics for that fight", do you mean for all the songs, or the ones for which lyrics were posted at dumbrella?

Fragmentally, Plat. :)
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Umm, let's say all the ones that were posted at Dumbrella, though if the new person wants to try to transcribe others, they can. I just think... if I start a thread for a particular fight, then that should reserve that fight for me - I can copy in / transcribe songs from that fight without worrying that I'm duplicating somebody else's effort... and when I want to pick a fight (???), I can use the search tool to make sure nobody's already done that particular one.

Charles