SF! Live 2011: Stuff to do in NYC

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Re: SF! Live 2011: Stuff to do in NYC

Post by nyjm »

roymond wrote:
fluffy wrote:I've never been to the met so I am up for that too.
This needs to be fixed.
Agreed, and I'm totally up for another trip. Last time, my wife and I had like 2 hours, maybe 3.

So... before or after rehearsal Friday? Or you want to shoot for Saturday A.M. ?
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

nyjm wrote:
roymond wrote:
fluffy wrote:I've never been to the met so I am up for that too.
This needs to be fixed.
Agreed, and I'm totally up for another trip. Last time, my wife and I had like 2 hours, maybe 3.

So... before or after rehearsal Friday? Or you want to shoot for Saturday A.M. ?
I'd be interested in going, as well, date-and-time dependent. My weekend is quickly getting booked solid.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Okay, with Saturday afternoon no longer an option for baseball, please raise your hand if you would like to go on Friday night?
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

*raises hand*
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
inevitableguy
Mean Street
Instruments: Stuff with strings, vocals, poor drum machine programming
Recording Method: Roland VS-1880
Submitting as: Naked Philosophy

Post by inevitableguy »

I've never been to the Met, either.

So, yeah. I want in, too.
==========================================
Naked Philosophy, The Tedward Nixon Experience
"Brilliant and disastrous at almost the exact same time" - Melvin
ThatGuy
A New Player

Post by ThatGuy »

I (and my NYU occasional songfight cohorts) are all living in NY, so we'd be happy to meet up for anything, show folks around, the works. Always want to go to the Met.
nyjm
Ice Cream Man

Post by nyjm »

frankie big face wrote:Okay, with Saturday afternoon no longer an option for baseball, please raise your hand if you would like to go on Friday night?
*raises hand, too*
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Who wants to meet at the Met Saturday morning at 9:30?

There's the guitar show I linked to, amazing Greek sculpture, Byzantine gold stuff, and the Alexander McQueen design show is supposed to be awesome (http://tinyurl.com/6c2wrg5). The Egyptian wing is awesome as well.

But everything else sucks. (no, it's insanely amazing all over the place in there).
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

My plane gets in to JFK at 7:30am supposedly. I've never flown in to NYC before. Would it be feasible for me to get to the Met by 9:30? If so, I would be interested. I might need some caffeine too...
roymond
Beat It
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Lunkhead wrote:My plane gets in to JFK at 7:30am supposedly. I've never flown in to NYC before. Would it be feasible for me to get to the Met by 9:30? If so, I would be interested. I might need some caffeine too...
If you land on time it is technically possible by cab (~$50), by train it'll take longer but we'd still be able to meet you whenever you get there. There is a coat/baggage check. My call is 917-697-2074. we can figure out the coffee :)
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

roymond wrote:Who wants to meet at the Met Saturday morning at 9:30?
Wow, captain earlypants. I just hope I'll be over my jetlag by then! (And, given that caveat, yes.)
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

fluffy wrote:
roymond wrote:Who wants to meet at the Met Saturday morning at 9:30?
Wow, captain earlypants. I just hope I'll be over my jetlag by then! (And, given that caveat, yes.)
Well, I have one day to prepare for my set. So it's early or never. Ok, it is flexible, of course, but really, it's nice to hit the museum, then wander out into beautiful central park before rehearsals...
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

And any other sets you're on. Or should I just have inevitableguy do bass and take a load off of you? I don't think I really need two guitars on my set anyway.
inevitableguy
Mean Street
Instruments: Stuff with strings, vocals, poor drum machine programming
Recording Method: Roland VS-1880
Submitting as: Naked Philosophy

Post by inevitableguy »

I could make it at 9:30 - but we need to keep in mind that the latest info from Niveous says that we're playing at 3PM on Saturday - so we'd have to move pretty quickly.

Also, to alleviate any confusion - the rehearsal space that I booked is for Friday afternoon, not Saturday.
Naked Philosophy, The Tedward Nixon Experience
"Brilliant and disastrous at almost the exact same time" - Melvin
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

nyjm wrote:
frankie big face wrote:Okay, with Saturday afternoon no longer an option for baseball, please raise your hand if you would like to go on Friday night?
*raises hand, too*
Hey, you're new!

Okay, here's what I have so far:
Me
Monty (aka Brick Pig)
Jon Eric
Jon Eric's wife
Marcus Kellis
Sheail
NYJM

Now seriously, last call. I need to buy these tickets soon. Let's say Wednesday morning at 10AM is the deadline. Thanks!
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

inevitableguy wrote:I could make it at 9:30 - but we need to keep in mind that the latest info from Niveous says that we're playing at 3PM on Saturday - so we'd have to move pretty quickly.

Also, to alleviate any confusion - the rehearsal space that I booked is for Friday afternoon, not Saturday.
Oh yeah. I have to catch up with the schedules and see what makes most sense. Thanks for the recap.
nyjm
Ice Cream Man

Post by nyjm »

frankie big face wrote:
nyjm wrote:
*raises hand, too*
Oh wait. I need to read things more carefully: your first post was right after all the talk of museums. Nix me for the baseball - sorry.

On the flip side, Roymond, I am in for an early morning visit to the Met. But, rehearsal time would take priority.
ThatGuy
A New Player

Post by ThatGuy »

Please add me to any and all everything! (Set at a show, if still possible, baseball, museum, you name it.) I'm relatively new to submitting to songfight myself but I've followed it for quite a while due to friends (Carol Cleveland Sings, Jonathan Mann, etc) but I do actually live in New York full-time so it'd be a cinch for me to get to any of these places, and to help travelers. Perhaps one post could be made combining all definite plans for easy viewing?
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

ThatGuy wrote:Please add me to any and all everything! (Set at a show, if still possible, baseball, museum, you name it.) I'm relatively new to submitting to songfight myself but I've followed it for quite a while due to friends (Carol Cleveland Sings, Jonathan Mann, etc) but I do actually live in New York full-time so it'd be a cinch for me to get to any of these places, and to help travelers. Perhaps one post could be made combining all definite plans for easy viewing?
ditto me, except I've been around only-slightly-longer, have submitted a *few* more songs (tho mostly nur ein-s); and am coming from Texas.. so will not be quite as help-ful.

Am no less stoked. Furiously packing, as I leave tomorrow. This means I will be up in NYC area early, so if extra hands are needed for preparation type stuff, I am aroundish and a train-ride in with people who commute every day.
I have been lurkish a bit around here, but i've been trying to get it together to leave town again here...
Den
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

frankie big face wrote:
nyjm wrote:
*raises hand, too*
Hey, you're new!

Okay, here's what I have so far:
Me
Monty (aka Brick Pig)
Jon Eric
Jon Eric's wife
Marcus Kellis
Sheail
NYJM

Now seriously, last call. I need to buy these tickets soon. Let's say Wednesday morning at 10AM is the deadline. Thanks!
Tickets purchased for the six people listed above. If you thought you were in on this but aren't on the list, it's because you didn't respond to my PM. I know there are still a couple of tickets available in the same row on StubHub if others are interested. I can tell you where we're sitting and you can purchase the tickets on your own.
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

Had a terrifying day in New York today. Apparently, Grand Central is not a good place for a person with social anxiety mentalish-type stuff at 5:45. A Jamaican woman gave me water because I couldn't breathe. I have written some lyrics about her and her attractive friend. I tend to sensalize everything in panic mode.. but there it is.
I'll probably blog later about it, to cope. My friend lives in Connecticut and I actually made the train. I am so very proud.

I'm afraid of elevators and today I rode six. Coming here is a little scary but Nur Ein was good for me. I don't know why I am typing this. Probably because I am a little sad, and shaken up.
It'll be okay :)
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Why yes, having a social anxiety panic attack IS a thing to do in NYC.