Sidefight: 3 weeks of japanesey music!

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Mac
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Sidefight: 3 weeks of japanesey music!

Post by Mac »

I wish to issue a Sidefight. (if I'm in breach of any forum rules that I have ignorantly missed, please send me a shout, fightmaster)

I am on a team making a total conversion MOD for Half Life 2 called AGCT (Anime Girl Catfight Tournament) please hear me out before dismissing this though, as I know that sounds a bit sleasy ;)

The thought behind this fight was really that we're a team of coders, modellers etc that work for free to make something that (we hope) others will enjoy playing. Much like you guys do with your music. The way we see it, it's a perfect match :)

Recently we have been looking at other full conversion teams and we have felt quite overwhelemd by them and their high status. the reason is not that they have better team members than us, we are confident in our modelling, texturing, coding etc. We have been looking at them with jealous eyes because they have theme songs. and we do not.

we too wish to have a theme song in our mod. But none of us have any talent when it comes to the musical arena.

That's where you guys come in. I've been a fan of this place for a while, and recently most of my playlist consists of songfights, so I know the raw undeniable potential this place has of fulfilling our wettest dreams.

I have no idea how many contributions a sidefight like this can generate, maybe noone really thinks this sounds interesting at all, but if we can get as many as the average songfight, that'd be a great fight.

Specifics:
First of all, how will the songs be used?
Well, asuming we get any submissions, the winner's song will be used at the title screen of the game. so basically it'll be playing while you select options, start a server, before you join a game, etc.

This song and the rest will be released on the AGCT site ( http://www.agctmod.net ) as a virtual CD... This will either have the winning song as a title track, or use the in-game soft drink name "Anime Smash!" as the title (in which case the "cover" will look something like this: Image )

The details of the "CD's" name have yet to be decided.

What about the actual song?
Apart from the final date of the submissions, there really aren't many rules.

there are preferences, but as I mention these, keep in mind that we consider you the authorities on music and as such we trust your judgement better than ours in the making of the music.

We would like it to be high paced.
We would like it to have a Japanese feel to it. wether this is using a gong, sampling speach from seven samurai or emulating a J-Pop** song, we will leave up to yourselves.

(** J-Pop is a common abbreviation for japanese pop in the west)

Your song can be all instrumental, completely acapella or anything in between.

There is no set title for this fight.
I can only give my suggestion, which would be "Anime Smash!" (like the soft drink ;)) but using that as the title of your song will not sway the decission one way or the other.

How will it be decided?
The AGCT team will have a vote on the tenth of may (the day after the final date for submitting songs).

What is this half life 2 mod about?
AGCT is a high paced deathmatch game, pitching wellknown Anime girls against eachother to the death. Much like the students in Battle Royale.

It will contain various game modes, but in every one of them it's mostly about getting the other guy's health down to zero before he does it to you :P

What is anime?
Anime is the common name for Japanese cartoons in the west. In Japan it's just cartoons.

What's with grown men watching cartoons?
It's fun :)
Sorry, I have no excuse :x
I guess 23 isn't exactly a grown man though.. I'll go with that.

I've seen that stuff.. You're making a game about cartoon girls with enormous eyes and breasts, aren't you?
I assure you, this is being handled in a most respectful way. The choice of using anime girls in this mod is intended more ironically than anything, and all the girls in our mod will be (and stay!) fully clothed at all times.

Final Info

If you have any interest of joining this fight a bit down the road, please do tell us so either in this thread, in the mirror thread on our forum, or by sending me a mail. We'd love to see what interest there is for a thing like this.

Any of these three places will also do for questions regarding anything I might have missed in here.

the last day to enter this thing is in three weeks. so May 9th.

Alright, if you've read through all that, and still feel like you would like to help us out, please submit your music to:

mac@twisted-irony.com

and Clicky here for the thread on the AGCT forum
I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

[ http://www.twisted-irony.com ]
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

I've got exactly what I think you're looking for already. Can we submit existing material as long as its unpublished and unassociated with anything else?
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Re: Sidefight: 3 weeks of japanesey music!

Post by erik »

Mac wrote:there are preferences
About how long of a song are you looking for?
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

Jim of Seattle wrote:I've got exactly what I think you're looking for already. Can we submit existing material as long as its unpublished and unassociated with anything else?
You could've if you hadn't opened your fat mouth, dummy.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Mac
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Mac »

mkilly wrote:
Jim of Seattle wrote:I've got exactly what I think you're looking for already. Can we submit existing material as long as its unpublished and unassociated with anything else?
You could've if you hadn't opened your fat mouth, dummy.
LOL

but sure, existing pieces like that are ofcourse no problem at all.
erikb wrote:
Mac wrote:there are preferences
About how long of a song are you looking for?
Good point. As long as it's not too short (say 2 minutes minimum?) as shorter than that would make it loop really fast which might make it sound repeditive on the title screen since it will be looping there (Although I have heard certain instrumental things and chiptunes that were 38 seconds long or something and looped like a dream... so again, this isn't set in stone or anything) and not insanely long (~15 minutes :p ) as that would make it huge. It's no second hunt though, so if you've got a piece that's 1:52, there's no need to fill it up with random stuff just to meet the criteria.
Last edited by Mac on Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

This sounds like fun. And I have an old lyric in cod-japanese (well, japanese filtered from books with no idea of how to pronounce it or correct grammar) which I can co-opt. Yes, count me in.

j$
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

Oooh.

I might have to beg someone for Japanese lyrics, or to translate some into Japanese. Or maybe I'll just cover some Asian Kung-Fu Generation and hope no one notices.
Mac
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Mac »

You guys do realize that lyrics don't have to be japanese, right? ;)

Seriously though, I'm thrilled about the turn-out so far :D And if trying your hand at Japanese lyrics attracts you.. more power to you. We're happy either way :)

john m
Panama

Post by john m »

Mac wrote:You guys do realize that lyrics don't have to be japanese, right?
Oh yeah, but my j-fandom wouldn't allow me to enter otherwise.
Mac
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Mac »

Understandable.

If you need someone to help you with the Japanese, and you don't have an on-campus Japanese teacher or some dude on your job looks asian enough ( "When will you people understand? I don't know Japanese! I've lived my whole life here! I'm adopted!" ) you can always see if you can coax one of the guys or girls over at J-Ref forums to help you.

Most of the people there know little to no Japanese, but many of the people hanging around the "learning japanese" part of the forum do. Some at very high levels. a few even native Japanese.

jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

I'm in.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

I know Japanese.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Mac
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Mac »

Jim of Seattle wrote:I know Japanese.
Impressive. I merely wish I did, and starting next semester I shall spend three and one half year achieving that goal by entering the local university. aaah, the life of the scholar. it shall be good to me, I can feel it.

At any rate, now that I know that you guys have Jim, I'll retract the suggestion of J-Ref ;)

Mac
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Mac »

Just a reminder that the deadline is now 1 (one) week away. that's seven days.

:cry:

Mac
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Mac »

since the deadline is now over since a few days back, I can tell you that we got no submissions at all :lol:

Anyway, if anyone is still interested but just wanted more time, the deadline was really just to have one. We can push it forward any amount of time you need. If you're still interested, just send a shout of when you might have it done, and we'll look forward to it then :)

(I was sort of looking forward to hearing Jim's already finished song.. any chance of you submitting that? ;))

j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Ah well, I started recording a song, got the music down and realised a)I had no idea what j-pop was past Shonen Knife and that b)it didn't sound much like Shonen Knife either.

i can finish it next week (as i have the week off), but there's no guarantee it's gonna work as a computer game theme ....

j$
Mac
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Mac »

a) Shonen knife is way better than the more conventional j-pop (being little girls singing happy-happy tunes) b) Doesn't have to sound like Jpop and c) We'd love to hear it even if you don't think it would fit. THere's a good chance we think it does ;)

In any case, we thank you for anything you may or may not submit :P

john m
Panama

Post by john m »

I pretty much have myself to a point where I refuse to do anything for this unless I study hours of anime themes, then write one song parodying as many stereotypes used in them as possible. Which is unlikely to happen because I'm lazy.

Still though, maybe.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

OK, well, here it is then - Sentai Hentai by Johnny Cashpoint

I really like it, but it doesn't really fit any of the criteria - at least to be giving you a smile I hope to :P

I have no idea what the lyric means - I copied them out of a book on manga and anime years ago and have forgotten what they mean/reference. Probably something gay :) Also pronunciation-wise forget it

The words are here if there are any Japanese speaking manga fans around who would translate for me...

Sentai Hentai
Aa, Boku, Ichidai Otoko
Kaimasu shonnen, dosei bishonnen

Chorus: Go Sentai Hentai Go! Yoshonen Otaku, go!
(2nd & 3rd time: To Ogenki Clinic, Go! Barbarossa Bankolan)

Gakko etchi, kojin jugyo
Dojinshi Jun-e, 5000 yen

Sexyonnagata, sekushi shiri
Okii yuwahu, kofuku suru

j$
john m
Panama

Post by john m »

hahahaha.