One of these days Alice!!! (Honeymoon in Polynesia Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Myhumble thoughts

Post by roymond »

Hoblit wrote: 1. Get rid of any cats you have. They will jump on your gear and change settings on your mixer, meow loudly during your vocal recording, and knock around balls that make jingly noises during your recording, generally jump on you and play while you are trying to knock out a killer guitar solo, and demand attention while you are trying to mix down. (they will chase the mouse curser too)
Cats. Kids. Significant others. Whatever. Although birds have been incorporated to good effect.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Seoup Gei
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Seoup Gei »

Polynesia, which means "many islands," covers a roughly triangular-shaped geographical area of the Pacific Ocean, with Hawaii at the northern apex, Aotearoa or New Zealand in the southwest, and Rapa Nui or Easter Island in the southeast.

Andre was here
Starts with promising melody but that just dissipates into something way atonal and kinda fails to hook. Chief complaint from me is that the rhythm is struggling, and the violin or cello is utterly void of direction. I like that melody in the acoustic-guitar sounding instrument, but it's betrayed by such vocals that sound the tune of a desperate man. Whoa the ending made me laugh how quick it just kinda folded.

Bolio
You've got the 80s airy synth cheese going on. Sake and Bukkake do rhyme well, eh? But I'm not sure you have the correct country here. Just imagine if I called all Americans Canadians and called all Germans Frenchmen...Japan and Polynesia are close in distance, but different countries. There's comedy ... but not much else going on here besides some airy cheese synth. I would have no complaining about a vocoder on that vocal.

Caravan Ray
Well this sounds Polynesian. Did your young daughter really play the ukelele? I'm impressed then. She has talent to be playing with the rhythm at such a young age. Ok well the laid back vibe works for the Polynesian title I think. It's a nice little Polynesian piece. I might be offended by the caveman noises though. Polynesian language is very sultry and not to be confused with primate man. But most tribal rituals do include mouthing of syllables. It's a very bare in terms of instrumentation and I'm not catching the title but you are describing a honeymoon in Polynesia so I am happy with it in that sense.

David 'Over
Did you and Ray trade ideas? You have a good vocal that is my favorite thing about this. Wouldn't mind hearing some words instead of the boobachacha stuff. You've got a good title hook, but a little faltering here and there with the rhythm. Nothing a new take might not fix. I don't know how but this song reminds me of a song called "My name is Luca" during the part about a boat underneath the stars. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Dead Rutherford
So this is when we start to rock. I don't really get some of the lyrics like have a honeymoon in Polynesia and then spend the rest of your life oceanside. Seems like it was more a convenient vocal than something that you really gave thought to. I'm bummed that it never changes and the same riff, which is a good riff, just never changes. I think that you could have developed those vocal melodies and lyrics just a little bit more so that they'd grab attention.

Hoblit
The instrumental intro carries on for quite a while, if it werent for the bit of vocal "ahhs" or electric guitar melody line, I would be quite bored and would've been tempted to forward to the middle of the song. by 1:30 though, I realize that even if I had forwarded, it still hasn't changed. I like the power of that vocal and the delay too, but I think that there's too much delay. Would've liked it on just a few words rather than that whole line. The guitar tones have a good harmonic feel. I picture you with your palms held to the sky during the Honeymoon in Polynesia part. There's too much effect on the vocals for me, good potential melodies but the mix is really muddy, the instruments lack definition. I only give you so much feedback because I think you have a good knack for melody and I think this song has potential but needs to be stripped down some. You didn't sound as Polynesian as Ray and 'Over, but the melodies you've written definitely grab me more.

Rabid Garfunkel
This is so corny that it's funny. Need some faster scratching. Maybe if you waited until the measure's 2 beat, before starting a rap line you'd get a more syncopated, interesting feel. Would've been nice to hear the chorus be singing while the verses remained the white boy nerdcore rap that they are.

Roymond
Nice slide up there...i knew this was going to turn into something cool. I really like the way the electric guitar line develops and changes and has its own memorable melody. These electric guitars are so very pleasing, they have tons of character. I have to say that you use silence and pauses really well. I also have to say those verses laid the ground for something really intense to happen...but it didn't really happen. The backwards vocal stuff just grabs me right in the nipple and twists....So far you and Hoblit have me sold on your electric guitar work, I like your vocal work better but it doesn't really reflect the Honeymoon part much. the lyrics are deep, but almost out of place. If I could split my vote between best verse and best chorus, you'd have the best verse part. And that wacky backwards vocal stuff!!!!!

Seoup T. Gei
The featured instrument is Purdy 1.5" paintbrushes on 1. a pillow (bass drum) and 2. a notebook (left side "shaker" type stuff). There is also a special instrument called a "waterpipe" on the right side. That build in the middle was meant to represent the reckless abandon during sex, the split seconds where you realize how good it is and it gives you the shivers and you feel that if you died when you came, you'd die a happy man. Originally going to fill this with moaning samples but ended up plugging them in subliminally towards the end. I'm just gonna keep playing along...'sup guy?

Wreckdom
Um...I read that last post by Vanilla Ike and now I'm biased against this Wreckdom tune. WTF? There's no music here at all. If you are all so talented musically, as Ike suggests, I wish you'd use the talent. The lyrics are great, the rest is just not musical at all. I like this alternative take on the title though. Your lyrics are incredible, would make a good comedy act. Your lyrics are incredible. Say it again. I love these lyrics! Would be great to have the same lyrics behind a touching love song...float the irony. Build on the sarcasm. Clearly you guys have creative minds and great senses of humor. I am rocking out to your vocals, but nothing else.

The Polynesian Triangle encompasses approximately 16 million square miles of ocean and includes thousands of islands, all of which were successfully explored and many colonized over 1,000 years ago. There are over 30 different groups of Polynesian people living within or near the Polynesian Triangle.
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

And this is what I love about songfight and getting reviewed, the amazing diversity of opinion. Caravan Ray says we've sold out now more than ever, and Seoup thinks theres no music involved in our entry at all. And I thank you both for your insight. A word of warning though, Seoup, Ike loves to argue and insult people in defense of us, so don't be surprised if he now jumps down your throat. And Ike, where you been man? Long time no talky to.

THANKS Everybody for sharing your thoughts. Means alot to me. I will review tomorrow as I have a half day at work. After the first couple listens it's Hoblit's trippy epic that really stands out to me. That shit is BAD ASS man.
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
Seoup Gei
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Seoup Gei »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote:Seoup thinks theres no music involved in our entry at all.
What if my friends came on here and posted about how great Seoup Gei is? I think I'd puke. Perhaps I should correct myself: There's a Bminor D and A there but not much development on what I would consider "melody". You guys put down some great lyrics. I love your tune for the lyrics :!:

Likewise if Vanilla Ike wants to jump down my throat, he will also be showered with puke..that is....if he can pry my jaws open... :o
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Seoup Gei wrote: What if my friends came on here and posted about how great Seoup Gei is? I think I'd puke.
Really? I like getting suport from my friends.
Seoup Gei wrote: Perhaps I should correct myself: There's a Bminor D and A there but not much development on what I would consider "melody". You guys put down some great lyrics. I love your tune for the lyrics :!:
Thanks for the compliment on the lyrics. Yes the music is simple, purposefully so. The guitar, percussion and Theremin are all essentially doing the same thing over and over, but seeing as how the song is 1:15 I figured this is forgivable, feel free to disagree though.
Seoup Gei wrote: Likewise if Vanilla Ike wants to jump down my throat, he will also be showered with puke..that is....if he can pry my jaws open... :o
Ike's a great guy, he can just get a little overzelous in his support of WreckdoM, but again, I like getting support from my friends.
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

holy fuckinshit mister hoblit, your song is just plain awesome. i was all "roy's got this one hands down because hoblit's a crackhead and he's prolly just gonna be ripping off alice in chains again or something" but wow your song is great, man.
Seoup Gei
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Seoup Gei »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote:The guitar, percussion and Theremin are all essentially doing the same thing over and over, but seeing as how the song is 1:15 I figured this is forgivable, feel free to disagree though.
Forgiveable?? Of course!!! I don't disagree!!!

Support is one thing...on one's knees in worship and proclamation is another. I think it's more the length of the post that irks me. No fault to you though!
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Seoup Gei wrote:
Geoff WreckdoM wrote:Seoup thinks theres no music involved in our entry at all.
What if my friends came on here and posted about how great Seoup Gei is? I think I'd puke. Perhaps I should correct myself: There's a Bminor D and A there but not much development on what I would consider "melody". You guys put down some great lyrics. I love your tune for the lyrics :!:

Likewise if Vanilla Ike wants to jump down my throat, he will also be showered with puke..that is....if he can pry my jaws open... :o
wreckdom have lowered our standards for them so far that what would normally be considered some crap shitlood tune by anyone else is lauded as "actual music" for them.
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

blue wrote:
wreckdom have lowered our standards for them so far that what would normally be considered some crap shitlood tune by anyone else is lauded as "actual music" for them.
Awesome, as usual, I simply cannot think of a clever retort for one of Blue's scathing one sentence critiques, and that's what I love about them. Here is another fine example:
blue wrote: wreckdom win some kind of award for being the longest running sucky songfight band that i can't bring myself to like. :P
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

i think i have since liked one of your songs. maybe punk bartender.

no wait, it was that daj werkenhorse dude's big black ripoff.
roymond
Beat It
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

blue wrote:holy fuckinshit mister hoblit, your song is just plain awesome. i was all "roy's got this one hands down because hoblit's a crackhead and he's prolly just gonna be ripping off alice in chains again or something" but wow your song is great, man.
I'll take this as a compliment.
Seoup Gei wrote: Roymond
Nice slide up there...i knew this was going to turn into something cool. I really like the way the electric guitar line develops and changes and has its own memorable melody. These electric guitars are so very pleasing, they have tons of character. I have to say that you use silence and pauses really well. I also have to say those verses laid the ground for something really intense to happen...but it didn't really happen. The backwards vocal stuff just grabs me right in the nipple and twists....
Thanks for the dissertation. I finally restrung my Artist, so the acoustic is in the garbage heap. I will admit to being quite stuck on these lyrics until I found some supposed Polynesian sayings (the first verse) which set the tone.

The guest vocals come from Tonamel, who made the mistake of posting a sample of his operatic voice in the preflight thread. Nothing a little reversed pitch shifting can't handle, and it fell right in. I had some faux translation I was gonna post but now you've outed me.
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
HansGruber
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Honeymoon in Polynesia Reviews

Post by HansGruber »

Hello everyone. I've been listening in for years, and finally gathered up my little broken pieces of music to start partaking in the magic. You're inspirado, and I wish to return the favor with some reviews when I can.

I have to start this week. Truly some fancrastic submissions for all the titles.

Roymond - Brilliant. I aspire to write like this...pardon me while I draw comparisons to Bauhaus. I have a thing for new wave, so you get big points drawing from that well (if that was intended). Spacious, synchopated, sincere...nice work. I'm keeping it. Thank you!

Bolio - This makes me uncomfortable, which makes it Art. Though I wouldn't want to have to listen to it again, you nearly upset the competition with the 'Sake, Bukake' lyric. I feel like I've gone to hell, and hell is a bad 80's teen movie. Forgive me if you're insulted, but I suspect you dabble in the black arts, and probably knew ahead of time I would write this.

Oh Great Wreckdom - The Gods of Rock are pleased. You are a fine servant. The lyrics do not move me, but the delivery does. Please don't stop.

David 'Over - What's the apostrophe for? Good Stuff. Big points for nice ditty, lo-fi worry-free glory. The whistling at the end sets me free. Restraint is underrated. So is silliness. I won't nitpick on production here. I think the song would lose something if it was more than it is.

Andre was here at Midnight - I applaud your ambition with the multiple submissions, though I think it's against the rules. Good God, man...who's your pharmacist? Can I have his number? This actually works on a level, and I tend to like stuff that puts me off center - but this makes me want a bourbon. I'll be right back...[clink clink girgle]...I like the Ellis Island song more. Big Drunk Punk Rock points for that one, but not this one.

Hoblit - Oh I like how those vox sweep in at the beginning...mmmm. Nice. Oh! Prog! Big Fuckin' Points! Nice guitars, Great guitar textures and Ringo drumming. I think I've been to some of the same planets you have. Reminds me of Jane's Addiction. That's a good thing. Keeping this one too. Thanks!

Caravan Ray - Nice ethnic approach. The Maori chanting is key. Good choice. A creative soluton. As I mentioned above, I don't like to nitpick production, but in this case there's a hiss that comes in leading the chorus. It sounds like your computer fan. I say this because I suffer from the same problem. It's distracting, that's all. I also think that the lo-fi quality really works here - anything more would destroy the simple beauty of the song.

Rabid Garfunkel - Bring the funk. I love funk - but I like it thick and heavy. You have something here, but I don't feel like you've completely committed to it, especially in the delivery of the vox. The smooth rhodesy groove is so smooth, I want to hear the lyrics sung by Donald Fagan (a GREAT thing). The scratching is a bit annoying, It can stay, but it belongs in the back somewhere.

Dead Rutherford - Where'd you get that guitar? I like! Mmmm. Punk Rock Points. The instrumental part is great. I love it. I don't love your vocals - are those the only ones you have? Oh, see... I like it much better when you sing softer at the end. It actually creates more tension with the jaggedness of the beat than when you sing with the jagged voice. And my ears don't bleed. That said, overall this one works. I think I'm keeping it. Thank you!

Seoup T. Gei - Oh, god more genius! My heads going to explode. What? I hear....makes me want to smoke. I'll be right back...[gurgle]....
Oh the texture is just so fucking sexy...it sounds moist. It's sneaky, slinky, dark n' creepy. I also like how it kind of falls apart at the bridge. Your voice is exquisite and pulls the whole thing together. Another keeper. Thanks!

This was a great fight, guys. You should all be very pleased. This is a brutally tough choice, but the vote goes to Seoup. Almost too close to call. Please keep it up.
Evil never looked so good.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Seoup Gei wrote:Polynesia, which means "many islands," covers a roughly triangular-shaped geographical area of the Pacific Ocean, with Hawaii at the northern apex, Aotearoa or New Zealand in the southwest, and Rapa Nui or Easter Island in the southeast.

Hoblit
The instrumental intro carries on for quite a while, if it werent for the bit of vocal "ahhs" or electric guitar melody line, I would be quite bored and would've been tempted to forward to the middle of the song. by 1:30 though, I realize that even if I had forwarded, it still hasn't changed. I like the power of that vocal and the delay too, but I think that there's too much delay. Would've liked it on just a few words rather than that whole line. The guitar tones have a good harmonic feel. I picture you with your palms held to the sky during the Honeymoon in Polynesia part. There's too much effect on the vocals for me, good potential melodies but the mix is really muddy, the instruments lack definition. I only give you so much feedback because I think you have a good knack for melody and I think this song has potential but needs to be stripped down some. You didn't sound as Polynesian as Ray and 'Over, but the melodies you've written definitely grab me more.

The Polynesian Triangle encompasses approximately 16 million square miles of ocean and includes thousands of islands, all of which were successfully explored and many colonized over 1,000 years ago. There are over 30 different groups of Polynesian people living within or near the Polynesian Triangle.
Thanks for the well thought out review. I appreciate that. In retrospect I would have stood back off the mic a bit for the vocals and then I could have used less delay. Also, thanks for the imagery. I am a big believer in it. If a song can make you visualize something in your head..be it me with palms to the sky...then I've done my job.

For me... this song is a cross between The Doves and Janes/Blind Melon.

Also, thanks <b>Hans, blue, wreckdom</b> and anyone else who gathered an opinion by spending time listening to my entry so far.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Seoup Gei wrote:Caravan Ray
...I might be offended by the caveman noises though. Polynesian language is very sultry and not to be confused with primate man...
I think my wimpy attempt at a haka is almost angelic compared to what it should sound like.

Perhaps the All-Blacks can explain it better...http://www.haka.co.nz/media/haka.mp3
Seoup Gei
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Seoup Gei »

Caravan Ray wrote:haka... http://www.haka.co.nz/media/haka.mp3
Ah yes...tribal rituals...New Zealand rugby
vanilla ike
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

eggs

Post by vanilla ike »

uhhmm....some coffee, and......i'll have three eggs, over zealous please...thank you

songfight is one of the few places i frequent on the web and when i do i have a limited amount of time......naturally i invest that time first in my friends endeavors....especially considering i am sometimes involved.......so this week when i heard wreckdoms entry i felt compelled to comment.......if you have tracked their meteoric rise (which would be a great album title) you'll get better the gist of my praise......

I dont recall having jumped down anyone's throat.......not my usual m.o.
i may have early on in my posting history defended wreckdom a bit aggressively.....but what can i say.......i digs what they duzz.......

hopefully some reviews to come............peace
the best quotes are from the same source : anonymous
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

blue wrote:i think i have since liked one of your songs. maybe punk bartender.

no wait, it was that daj werkenhorse dude's big black ripoff.
I actually quite liked Wreckdom's Punk Bartender. I hate froofy drinks.
roymond
Beat It

Re: Honeymoon in Polynesia Reviews

Post by roymond »

HansGruber wrote:Roymond - Brilliant. I aspire to write like this...pardon me while I draw comparisons to Bauhaus. I have a thing for new wave, so you get big points drawing from that well (if that was intended). Spacious, synchopated, sincere...nice work. I'm keeping it. Thank you!
I was a big Peter Murphy fan back in the day, so yeah, no problem with that reference. I make no conscious effort to emulate anyone (well, except when it's uber obvious), but I'm sure various influences drip out. I appreciate all your kind words, but "Thank you!" are truly the most kind ones.
Seoup Gei
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Re: eggs

Post by Seoup Gei »

vanilla ike wrote:uhhmm....some coffee, and......i'll have three eggs, over zealous please...
I have to rephrase and say I threw off any bias that I may've mentioned earlier. I had been listening to the tunes prior to reading any posts anyhow. But Ike, I just think that your previous post belonged more in the "Currently Digging-->How Great is this Songfighter?" thread since you weren't addressing this particular Wreckdom song, but just "gushing" about Wreckdom in general. I do like Wreckdom too, not really for the music and melody, more for the thematic vocal content. And for persistence. So I'm glad you didn't jump down my throat...my gag reflex is really strong, stronger than I hope the wives of these honeymoon couples' reflexes are... :wink:
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Re: best damn near killed em ever

Post by j$ »

Vanilla Ike in the same post wrote:wreckdom wrocks again! .......flawless execution of some tricky syncopation........ the astounding rise of the supergroup that is wreckdom ... the astounding amount of talent .... tell all your friends........listen to their archive......!!!!!!!!!!!
Vanilla Ike further down the same page wrote: I dont recall having jumped down anyone's throat.......not my usual m.o.
:roll: :)
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Been listening all week and now it's time for...

Andre Was Here at Midnight
This is either avant-garde brilliance or, well... yeah. Is every instrument (including the vox) playing a different song? It's been hard to listen to this every time for that reason (there's no coherence).

Bolio
Holy crap, that intro is totally lost on my car stereo, assy headphones, and computer speakers, but damn, with a good set of cans those subsonics (or whatever) RaWk! Maybe some more 'verb on the main vox would blend it with the mix more fluidly. This song is the pitch presentation for a Don Bluth/Coen Brothers sex-comedy animated movie. In my opinion, of course. Those sirens are bad for when listening in the car, heh.

Caravan Ray
Sweetest song ever. If you have isolated tracks for the Maori parts, I'd love to steal them and wrongify 'em at some point in the future. Hey, some noise floor hiss popped in and out in the harmony parts. Weird. Possible vote.

David 'Over
Infectious. Bit heavy-handed on the reverb for the hand drum-things. You are the master of evil, must go listen to the B-52s' "Girl from Impanema (gets married)" to wipe clear song from my head. Good work.

Dead Rutherford
That hi-hat is brutal, relentless, and way forward in the mix. Dig the sound of the kick and snare and... what the hell is that in the background? Godzilla? Man, these headphones rock. Interesting. 2 guitars but no bass? Fun stuff.

Hoblit
My first fight with Hoblit. Damnit. This is beautiful. Kick (floor tom? Right channel, primarily) doesn't quite mesh with the rest of the 'scape, it's the only thing that stands out. Damn.

Rabid Garfunkel
Heh, the naïvest song I've ever written. Only took me four years to do something with my Yamaha DJXII-B box, that's got to be a personal best. And yes, I was rapping in a box. Nothing rhymes with Fiji, damnit. Good Red Dwarf catch CRay, I'm pouring the 40 on the ground in memory of Level Nivelo there.

Roymond
Kinda spooky, this. Nice progressions. Solid piece. No nits to pick.

Seoup T. Gei
This is neat. Water sounds make me need to go to the bathroom continously. A little noise floor showing through in the less dense sections of the song. The electric guitar tones are sweet. The only real bitch I have is the use of the vibro-slap. The placement in most of the times it's hit. It's (IMO, only) more of a punctuation instrument than an opener to a phrase. The last hit (on the and of the 4?) is ideal to me, but the rest are, like, a beat early and jarring in the phrasing. But that's just me. High probability of vote.

WreckdoM
Man, you guys are the after-dessert coffee in a new restaurant, you know? You get your full meal, dessert, and then there's the cup, and it could be a cuppa perco-suck, or truly rock with a good blend and cap off the meal with the goodwill towards all man that only decent beans and brew will give. You are a post-prandial powerhouse this fight.

And now I *really* want a theremin, heh. Is that the Moog one?

Torn between the Soup and the Coffee for me.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Seoup Gei
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Seoup Gei »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:...the use of the vibro-slap. The placement in most of the times it's hit. It's (IMO, only) more of a punctuation instrument than an opener to a phrase.
I didn't know what I was doing with that thing...i hit it by accident while I was "playing" the timbale stuff on a keyboard. What you're saying about my use of it makes complete sense, I can hear how the last one is a bit better. I probably should've not had any of 'em even in there except the last one. This is really helpful feedback for me, thank you! My biggest gripe about my own tune that no one has mentioned, is that it's kinda just a one-liner and doesn't really develop. aww shux.