does not equal B (A and A reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

does not equal B (A and A reviews)

Post by jack »

i'd just like to say that Puce is a badass. thank you.
Hi!
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio
Pronouns: he/him

Re: does not equal B (A and A reviews)

Post by Bolio »

jack wrote:i'd just like to say that Puce is a badass. thank you.
I'll second that. He works magic..... The Doug Henning of Songfight! if you will.
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
jack
Hot for Teacher

Re: does not equal B (A and A reviews)

Post by jack »

Bolio wrote:
jack wrote:i'd just like to say that Puce is a badass. thank you.
I'll second that. He works magic..... The Doug Henning of Songfight! if you will.
he has a way of making sense of the nonsense :)
Hi!
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

A&A

seems like this is the the mellow-tempo fight this week, with the welcome exception of R. Mosquito...

Add
- i like the vocal harmonies; reminds me of good monkees (which of course, harkens back to the beach boys, so you're in good company!)
- there's a good piano vamp in the verse that drives it nicely, but it gets repetitive pretty quickly
- contrary to most songs, this one doesn't end soon enough; played live with the audience grooving along, this would be good, but just on tape it overstays it's welcome just a smidgeon

The Bloody Hams
- the overdriven guitars remind me of wheezer (this, again, is a good thing)
- the verses seem a little over-long; get to the rock out chorus (the best part) sooner
- good bridge with the "ooohs"
- something (the piano, the acoustic guitar, a lead guitar part) should stand out more at the end

Lietchy
- good groove, really good vox processing
- gets a little monotone, though, by 1:30, i'm waiting for something more than the little pause; ah, that breakdown at 2:15ish? move it up in the mix; make it a bridge instead of the outro
= rap that i like, but needs to open up some more

Lonbobby
- i like the tones in the music; nice melody on the keyboard
- the lyrics remind me of x-tokyo... and now i wonder what nataly would sound like in this song; nonetheless, i like the processing on your vox, it accentuates the timbre of your voice very well
- kind of wish this took off or broke it down somewhere, though the individual parts are all top-notch

Minty Handy
- interesting way that you simulate ADD with the various "a"s
- other than that, i don't quite get it; i don't think you would have the bad taste to make fun of people with ADD, but it almost seems like that's what you're doing

Phunt Your Friends
- you're milking this guy, but he's very quotable, isn't it?
- very appropriate samples, i have to say
- interesting music, but all of this gets a little boring after 2:00; kick it open or cut it short
= and no, that last minute doesn't count as kicking it open

R. Mosquito
- holy f@&%! how did the sex pistols get in here?! this is the kind of music 13 year-old boys get electric guitars for, oh yeah...
- love the lyrics; and unusually for punk songs, you can make them out
= thank you for bringing the rock to this fight; it needed it

SFO
- what a great vox treatment
- this grooves! you could make a whole song from this; i'm sad to see it go...

Steve Durand
- her majesty, the queen! the trumpet makes much more sense as a solo than an intro or even an outro; what about a piano or guitar part instead on either end of the song?
- i like your lyrical take; i think i would have gone the same route
- the melody reminds me of the theme song from "laverne and shirely"
Last edited by nyjm on Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

i don't think you would have the bad taste to make fun of people with ADD, but it almost seems like that's what you're doing
[response removed by author, I've grown over the years and also been diagnosed with ADD ironically enough]
Last edited by MintyHandy on Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liechty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Liechty »

reviews

add - i think this could use a change in progression at least once or twice in the verses. otherwise good tune. solo fits nice (specially with piano guitar sync). awesome, a contender.

blood ham - couldn't download song for some reason

liechty - i think i could have done a few things to make this better now that i hear it again. eh.

lonbobby - some strange electro-psycho genre. well arranged. i think drums could be a little more up front. less appletree moping, more cool drum programming.

minty handy - ok, some goofy song that sounds like it should be the theme song to some crappy nickelodeon show. if you like that stuff then please listen to this song.

phunty - song really falls off when the vocal sample leaves. and thats really all this song is, a vocal sample. that or a "the books" b-side. for experimental noises and sounds: good track.

rmosq - rockin rockin rockin like a highpitched nerdy caveman. thats what you sound like. cut it out.

sfo - haha good intro, this is a cool one listener.

steve DDDDDD - trumpets galore is what you should call this song. uh, are you trying to do the mystery science theater theme? you're pretty close.

add and me are the best.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Can't help but noticing something special about the R. Mosquito tune...

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

Spud wrote:Can't help but noticing something special about the R. Mosquito tune...
Yeah. Minty Handy too.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

My first reviews by laptop.

ADD - Nice upbeat tune. Gets repetitious and perhaps needs a contrasting section. I just didn't hook into this song.

Bloody Hams: Damn that chorus comes in strong. Bridge needs more stuff. Better watch that next time.

Liechty: I like the pads you are using. I think the beat could be stronger to match the lyrical flow. It just seems like you are throwing down rapid fire rhymes, but the music is an ambient track. They just don't seem to go together.

Lonbobby: Wow, I like this track right away. Is there some lyrical content about the Giving Tree in there? Nice.

Minty Handy: Nice vocal harmonies. This is an odd and fun track. Very enjoyable.

Phuntyourfriends: This is an interesting sound collage. Reminds me of late nights in the electronic music lab in college. Unfortunately it isn't Collagefight.

R Mosquito: Your track is really loud! Nice little pop punk track. Bonus points for namechecking Octothorpe.

Songfight Orchestra: Interesting vocals. Doesn't really have an ending or do anything. What was the point of this again?

Steve Durand: Good little pop song. Why does your stuff sound like it is in a tube? Too much reverb perhaps? I'm not sure. Could be my laptop speakers. The piano and trumpet are excellent. Great last lyrics and trumpet fanfare!

1. Lonbobby
2. Steve Durand
3. Bloody Hams
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
shadowdog
A New Player

Post by shadowdog »

i'd just like to say that Puce is a badass. thank you.
whats up with the Puce?? Does he have a song this week?? It was actually his song that got me to Song Fight... He was kind enough to let us use his song "Pawnbrokers Daughter" in our intro video - http://www.tiburongx.com/new_release.htm and worked perfectly with what we were doing (TY Puce)...

So I agree, cudos to Puce, now point me to why we all agree that he is a badass???

[insert-more] Even though i don't show up much on the Forums i do read most of the posts (Quite entertaining) and basically listen to SF at work all day every day...[/insert-more]

"Fourty Second Songs" also ranks high on my list... (Still can't stop listening to Snow Fort, Turn On the Power "R Mosquito" and Tank Top)
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

shadowdog wrote:Why is Puce's ass deplorable?
He mixed, Puceduced (tm) and rhythm-chorus-guitared The Bloody Hams' entry to this fight. I think.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Plat wrote:
shadowdog wrote:Why is Puce's ass deplorable?
He mixed, Puceduced (tm) and rhythm-chorus-guitared The Bloody Hams' entry to this fight. I think.
this is correct, and is just one of many reasons for his badassness.
Hi!
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

Bloody Hams - Don't like the lyrics except for "take it out on the world soon". That's a good moment, the way that fits in. Words aside, this is a good song, and the Pucification of the chorus is really some next-level shit.

Liechty - We need more rappers who don't aspire to be bad rappers, so thank you for that. "Rehearsing your farts" is a funny line. None of the other lines bowled me over, but your flow is good.

Lonbobby - This is way cool-sounding. Love that beat. The song itself is fine. It's a moody piece that I couldn't connect with.

Minty Handy - Too cute for my tastes. The "A" voices were really irritating. "Natural liar" is a cool bit.

Phunty Your Friends - This type of thing is innately boring to me, but I do happen to think you found a good monologue to use. I also like that wookie-in-agony at the end. The instruments are fine - as these things go, it's interesting without being very fun to listen to.

R. Mosquito - Um... punky. Words didn't appeal to me. The middle section was my favorite part. And the end of that section feeds well into the end of the song.

Song Fight Orchestra - This is ok.

Steve Durand - That's some nice trumpeting. The cuteness levels are toxic to me. Good job on the melodies though.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

songfight orchestra
this is some great stuff. i mean, it’s like a really nice zappaesque segueway for the overall effort, yet fills alot of space in it’s small timeframe. and man, i love that jazzy riffin in the back. very nice job in a macro/micro way

ADD
i’m kind of amazed at how clean your mastering is, even though it seems loud, it’s really clean. the doubled vocals really make this shine. maybe it was intentional but in the bridge, i’d like it a bit more if the piano and guitar didn’t play the same melody line. actually, it switches up after a bit. this is an enjoyable listen. as good as anything REM is doing these days.

steve durand
ah, i dig your stuff steve durand. i like your versatility and blatant embracing of all things MIDI. singing is a bit pitchy but overall not bad. this song really reminds me of some other tune. wait, holy shit, it’s the theme song from laverne and shirley! “on your mark get set and go now....!” ;) actually, i’m really enjoying this alot for some reason. i love the trumpet.

lonbobby
wow, killer production lonbob! this has a great groove and you really nail the vocals, even if it sounds autotuned to hell. holy crap, those samples are teh awesome. i’ve always loved your “hold my calls” (one of my alltime favorite songfight tunes) but i might even like this better. this is going straight on the ipod. absolutely awesome tune man.

the bloody hams
parts of this are me. i think the fellas (bolio, leaf, ken, puce) did a stand up job.

r mosquito
haha, this is great! another really excellent production. nice changeup in the fight too. just a fun, drunken, moshin tune. i would LOVE to hear the hell yeahs cover this tune! fuck, this will be a hard fight to choose.

phuntynot myfriends
really, it seems pretty pointless.

liechty
this is actually pretty good but is weak against the rest of this fight. maybe thats just my bias talking, but aside from the one previous turd above you, this has been a very strong fight. so i not dissin you holmes, i said you was good. the fake handclaps have to go.

minty handy
he. i like your stuff. this is cute without being overly cutesy. and i love that organ.

well, this was a quality fight. i think for me it’s between lonbob and r mosquito.
Hi!
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

Yeah. Minty Handy too.
I know Spud was referring to the references to his own pseudonym in R's song, but what are you hearing in mine? Seriously, I'm confused.

[edit: I'm usually confused]
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

MintyHandy wrote:
Yeah. Minty Handy too.
I know Spud was referring to the references to his own pseudonym in R's song, but what are you hearing in mine? Seriously, I'm confused.

[edit: I'm usually confused]
jefff=ADD music. your song seemed to reference ADD (or so some thought)
Hi!
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

it's pretty sad when a good fight like this one gets only 5 reviews all week. and 4 of them are from people in the fight.

maybe i should quit reviewing too. at the very least, don't look for any reviews from me for any fight i'm not in anymore. it's just not worth the effort.
Hi!
Tuba Toothpaste
A New Player

Reviews

Post by Tuba Toothpaste »

Minty Handy - cute little tune. It's fun when the "A"s pass around the stereo. It does a good job of making them sound like they're all over. But otherwise sounds like a jingle.

Lonlobby - Good mysterious sound. The apple tree? Sorry to hear of your loss. Good music, weird topic. It kind of grew on me, but strange topic, death by apple tree. Seemed a little long at the end.

Steve Durand - The lyrics are great. Especially like "all and all" "anytime and anywhere" "asked and answered" . Trumpet solo in the middle, kind of Bacharach and David. More good lyrics "appendix and addendum" "altitude and airspeed" "adios and adieu". Good trumpet.

Liechty - I would put the voice a little higher in the mix. Unfortunately, I don't have the level of concentration required to make sense of the lyrics on this hearing, or to try to see why there's allegory and application involve. Not sure there actually is. The noisy little sounds in rap rarely keep my attention.

Song Fight Orchestra - Very hip sound. Barry White sings about astronomy.

Phunt Your Friends - Kind of avant garde stuff. Aristotle and Aquinas? If I was into 13th century philosophy I might be really interested. But he's boring me. Then what's with the Ox noises? Can't say I really enjoyed this.

R Mosquito - It rocks and is fun. "You wouldn't like to be crippled linguistically" - that I like.

Bloody Hams - Nice peaceful sound. Gets appropriately loud for the destruction part. A&A you're looking for is what? This song is scary - you're planning to blow some place up? Last verse curious - Arts and Artisans vs. what? Arms and Ammunition Kind of poetic in lyrical content. But subject never fully worked for me.

add - I like the topic but don't sense enough a's and a's. I like the melody with the guitar and keyboard in the middle - I like the combination of sounds. After that I can tell what the A&A chorus is, but couldn't tell the first time that was where the chorus began. You guys sing well and play well. Sound and mood consistent throughout.
Tuba Toothpaste
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

ADD
-suweet sounds. This is fantastic. Awesome mix! Very well balanced. Your voice sounds great, and the doubling is excellent. Great chord progressions and transitions. I'm really impressed. I like the tension of the verses. Nothing really to critique here. Very possible vote and we're just getting going...

Bloody Hams
I was almost in a band called The Bloody Hams once...heh. Wow, another stellar mix. Sweet superfat heavy guitars. Like the hummy vocals. Very nicely done gents. Possible vote as well.

Liechty
The backing groove makes this easy to listen to. I wish the vocals were recorded with same fidelity that the groove has. Your flow thing is great at times. I'd dig hearing more dynamic use of the music with your rap, it get's repetitive. Nice work.

Lonbobby
This is pretty wicked. This might be my favourite Lonbobby track. It draws me in well. You've used the vocal processing to great effect. It's not overdone at all. Love the constant tension in this. Nice mix, but a bit bass light on my system. Possible vote.

Minty Handy
This is fun quirky writing. The vocals are fun, but they have a livingroom carpet sound going, not enough presence. On my system theres one cymbal (hat) that's pretty in my face. A bit silly for me. The mix isn't bad, but it's plain. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Phuntyourfriends
BIt of a Boards of Canada/Chroma Key feel going on. K. Tired of the dialogue now. OOh. Nice with the capital P. Like that. Love the chords. The are keeping me in this thing. This is wacky at the end. I listened all the way, and I dig it. Cool.

R.Mosquito
This is awesome! Love the chunky bridge part. Awesome! The mix seems a little thin. But otherwise it's great. Great performances all around. This is fun. Nice fun-ass song.

SFO
This is me. #1 return from googling A&A? Astronomy and Astrophysics. Yep.

Steve Durand
Love the trumpet intro. Very campy. LOVE the drum fills! Whoops, not those ones. This is nice. The mix is quiet and I think a bit more work in the mix department would see a better separation of elements of the tune. I find the vox a bit hard to make out, and stuff is kind of flat sonically. A smidge of bass rolloff would help the clarity of the vox alot. I would have tried to tuck the trumpet sample in the same acoustic treatment of your mix to make it less audioclip'ish. But I like it. Good job.

-----
Wow, awesome fight. I was either easily impressed or fighting with some talented people over here. More listening will decide a winner. Thanks everyone.
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

ADD
++ catchy as all heck and slick too boot. It's like uh, that death cab thing, only good.
-- shoulda dropped to a minor or dimished or seventh or... something at 1.28ish. The instrumental bit might be a tick long, ditto for the outro.
// my money's on add this week.

Bloody Hams
++ the glocky pitched percussion thing, yes. the burt bacarah allusion tickles my fancy. The production, certainly. The oooos.
-- The uber-rock bit is indeed uber rock, but I liked the softy bits better. I did't really understand your lyrics.
// If I could play guitar, I'd wanna play like you.

Leichy
++ your flow.
-- the delay, the hearts of space backing track.
// Other than the phrase "allegory and application" there wasn't, like... any a&a. You're just rapping about how you rap.

Lonbobby
++ dude, this rocks.
// At first, I didn't think I liked the pitch effect. Then I changed my mind,
// At first, I was thinking that apples and apples wasn't on-topic enough. And while this criticism might be valid for a lesser songfighter, you make the track so emotively convincing that

Minty Handy
++ The fun-ness.
-- You shoulda scrapped the midi stuff and done the uke. This would be like the best track ever.
// As others have mentioned, the a's work well. ANd it's easy to bugger that kind of thing and make it sound stupid. You did it well, though.
// P.S. I don't think the ADD thing could be construed as offensive.

Phuntyourfriends
++ Clever.
-- Musically kinda zzz. (But I have ADD.) The ending.
// Damn good take on the topic.

R. Mosquito (me)
// Compressor _ruined_ the sound, made the bridge too loud, and caused wicked encoding artifacts.
// This song is about the empowerment found in glossalia.

SFO
++ This is really one of the better sfo tracks.
-- The funk.
// you know what this reminds me of? Massive attack. The guitar part up to .30. It's dark and hard. You should extend that bit into a whole song -- it would own.

Steve Durand
++ omg this _totally_ rules. While I knew someone would go crazy with aliteration (and feared this), you did it (!!)SO(!!) well. It's catchy, huggable, and makes me feel all fuzzy... and doesn't make me feel vaguely dirty, like a Paul Williams track would.
// totally the best song of the fight, easy.
-- reve mosquito.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

I'll try to post some reviews tomorrow or something. Getting busy here in T.O.
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

jack wrote: ah, i dig your stuff steve durand.
Thanks, jack.

FWIW I really appreciate the reviews and constructive comments. I haven't gotten my nerve up to do review yet. Don't know why I'm nervous about it but I just haven't been able to get myself to do it.

Steve