Cooking

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Cooking

Post by jb »

That reminds me of a startup idea I sketched out, which is sort of present in some sites these days.

The idea was to let you choose several dishes then automatically sequence the actions for you and tell you what to do when so you can pull off a multiple-dish menu.

And it was intended to let you track what food you had on hand and give you dishes to make, as well as know what equipment you have so it doesn’t tell you to make a Dutch oven dish when you have no durtch oven.

I didn’t get far with it before seeing something shinier, but I’m still in love with the concept. You can find elements of this sort of thing elsewhere but nothing that really tries to help more than sell stuff. It was going to be called the Automagic Kitchen.

Btw I am making apple muffins right now. The batter was really thick. We’ll see.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

That’s totally a thing I was thinking about building too . What was the thing you found? Because I’m interested in using it.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

ooh, @fluffy I love that recipe layout idea and immediately went and looked for any real-life examples.
This layout is my favorite of the ones I found.
This is OK too.
More ideas/discussion about it here.

Unfortunately, I feel like this is the kind of thing you wouldn't be able to easily retrofit random Internet or cookbook recipes into, they'd have to be written this way to begin with, which would really limit you.

I made pao de queijo last night to bring to a movie night. I LOVE these, they are so cheesy, and chewy and crispy all at the same time, but every time I've made them before, I put them in mini-muffin tins, which are the devil to clean. I noticed the other day that there were some recipes that have you just bake them on a baking sheet, so I had to try it. They came out very tasty but also VERY flat, maybe I'll add more tapioca flour next time... anyway, it's so worth it not having to clean those goddamn tiny muffin tins. I used grated cheddar instead of parmesan, didn't add garlic, and seasoned it with nutmeg, thyme, and "Italian seasoning" herbs. All the ones I brought got eaten. I ate some of them for breakfast today. I kind of want to try making these with grated zucchini or pureed spinach or something to make me not feel so bad about being unable to stop eating them, but I don't know if that would just destroy the texture. I'll experiment sometime when I'm not bringing them to a potluck...
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

Personally I'm a big fan of "mostly" mise en place, separating the bulk of preparing ingredients from the other steps. Maybe it's not the most time-efficient way to go about things, but it sure helps keep chaos away.
To easily plan out a recipe, I prefer a roughly chronologically ordered version with the ingredients showing up in the same order, like this:
https://www.oetker-shop.de/media/image/ ... 121801.jpg

This particular book ("Dr. Oetker Schulkochbuch") has been around in various editions for well over a hundred years. Their recipes have all been tested in various households. I pretty much learned cooking from it. There seems to be an English translation of it, too: https://www.amazon.com/dp/3767003708 - if you ever want a book for someone new to cooking, this is worth considering, I think.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I was thinking of something more like a Gantt chart, only vertically-oriented. Multiple columns that each refer to some intermediate result. maybe limited to 4 since that's the number of burners in most residential cooktops.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

It wouldn't hurt, of course, but since most recipes aren't in that format and it's a ton of work to restructure them like that, I figure it's more time-efficient to do the chronological ordering and maybe just tweak the recipe slightly so it's easier to notice parallelizing opportunities when skimming it.
I've learned to work with traditional formatting as long as the recipe doesn't do things like "Now take the onions which by the way you started caramelizing 20 minutes ago even though we didn't tell you at that point"...
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

fluffy wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:45 pm
That’s totally a thing I was thinking about building too . What was the thing you found? Because I’m interested in using it.
Here's one of them: http://www.foodplannerapp.com/
It's missing the time management and the equipment consideration aspects of my concept.

JB
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

Watched a lot of bread making videos and I just don’t understand why not having to knead is just a big draw.

It never seems like you have to knead for hours or anything and a lot of no-knead recipes make you wait for hours and hours. So you trade having to knead for waiting around for fucking ever.

Pffft.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Kneading is a lot of extra hands-on time and work and you get flour and sticky dough all over your hands and the kneading surface in addition to just the bowl, and I just don't really enjoy the process. Jim Lahey's no-knead bread recipe has always had great results for me and it takes like 5 minutes of hands-on time total, I just have to remember to leave enough time for the slow rise... if I was interested in having bread Extremely Fast I would buy a loaf from the store.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

I haven't made bread for a while, but I do actually enjoy kneading, particularly the point where the dough goes from sticky and messy to a magical non-sticky ball. I understand why some people don't enjoy it, but I find it kind of fun. That being said, I have a kitchenaid with a dough hook now, so usually delegate the kneading to that even though I enjoy it.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

I guess I can see your point about the mess. I made a loaf that’s no-knead and rose in a couple hours. It was fine I guess.

I do like the “crazy dough” recipe from the Bigger Bolder Baking lady, and I’m thinking of trying to make the Japanese milk bread that YouTube keeps trying to show me.

Today I made chicken-n-dumplings from my mother in law’s recipe.
C0A9D87B-7FD5-4823-B10D-3373EB0A2775.jpeg
C0A9D87B-7FD5-4823-B10D-3373EB0A2775.jpeg (2.93 MiB) Viewed 1159 times
2D3DA1B2-FF15-4CEA-B138-E094909DF015.jpeg
2D3DA1B2-FF15-4CEA-B138-E094909DF015.jpeg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 1159 times
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Pizza base.
Made from spinach.
Is great.

Blitz spinach with an egg, some Parmesan and a bit of chick pea flour. Roll. Put pizza stuff on top. Cook.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

jb wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:54 am
Watched a lot of bread making videos and I just don’t understand why not having to knead is just a big draw.

It never seems like you have to knead for hours or anything and a lot of no-knead recipes make you wait for hours and hours. So you trade having to knead for waiting around for fucking ever.

Pffft.
speaking of which, I just got this no-knead bread loaf out of the oven and am waiting impatiently for it to cool a bit before cutting into it.

I'm also trying my hand at making kouign-amann for the first time, pretty much the polar opposite in terms of hands-on work. They are currently shaped and proofing (I just learned a tip that you can use your microwave as a sealed little proofing box! Microwave a cup of water to make it steamy and warm, then put your stuff in there to rise).

I don't know why I'm suddenly obsessed with laminated doughs, but I made some ham and cheese croissants and pain au chocolat the other day that did not come out very well at all, and I suspect these won't come out very well either, but the yeast at least appeared to be active at the first rise, so that's a good start. I think I maybe accidentally killed it in my croissants/pains au chocolat batch, so they came out flaky and rich but also extremely small and dense, like buttery little neutron stars.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Oh man... forgot to post... Irwin! My wife really enjoyed your Chicken Crock Pot Enchilada recipe... I liked it too.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

0610B9DF-674C-4AFF-85C4-8356D76C3B78.jpeg
0610B9DF-674C-4AFF-85C4-8356D76C3B78.jpeg (967.37 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
Apple muffins.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Made an Indian style curry tonight with cauliflower, chickpeas and a mystery spice bag that came with a packet of lentils. It was so delicious that I now need to reverse engineer the mystery spice bag.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Made a bunch of stuff yesterday for a Friendsgiving--turkey, gravy, a Hasselback potato gratin, bread--but my favorite was this cranberry curd tart with hazelnut crust:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/101 ... -curd-tart

I used lime instead of orange, added a layer of vanilla pastry cream under the curd, and a big fluffy meringue on top. Yum.
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

Farfalle. Chicken. Ragu. Parmesan. Dinner!
IMG_5709.png
IMG_5709.png (988.22 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I had a bunch of kimchi that needed to be used up so as an experiment I decided to make some beef and kimchi fajitas, and they turned out really good.
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

BANANANANA MUFFIIIIIIIINNNNNNS
IMG_5811.jpg
IMG_5811.jpg (193.56 KiB) Viewed 984 times
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

Coookieees
5A3EA5AF-DA36-44B8-A71D-E4906CB65DD3.jpeg
5A3EA5AF-DA36-44B8-A71D-E4906CB65DD3.jpeg (124.52 KiB) Viewed 944 times
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

For Thanksgiving I made grilled asparagus with Hollandaise, and for the Hollandaise I used the ChefSteps blender sauce technique:

But I customized it a bit by also simmering some shallots in the butter, and added some cayenne and paprika at the end.

I had a lot left over, and it turns out that it actually keeps really well as an amazing spreadable soft butter thing, so I've been using that on, like, everything. It's especially great putting it on a toasted English muffin and using that as the "bun" for a breakfast sandwich.