Katrina @ New Orleans

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Katrina @ New Orleans

Post by roymond »

So, I'm thinking Generic is out of town...? Thisand This looks really bad!I'm hoping nobody here gets caught down there.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

haven't heard from him in ages, but i don't think school's in yet.
this is the thing they've been worried about for a long time.
i saw a visual aid once of what the height of the water in the french quarter is likely to be... scary stuff.
good luck to them...
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

I'm pretty sure Generic is back in school now if the WriteFight boards are anything to go by.

However http://myguestmap.lorca.eti.br/guestmap.jsp?id=singrrr says that Mogosagatai is in New Orleans. Any news from them?

This looks like it's gonna be a real nasty one.
Songfighter since back in the day.
the idiot king
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Keys, Programming, Stuff for Hitting
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: The Idiot Kings
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by the idiot king »

my thoughts are with everyone in the area, sf-er or not.
"You know the change will do you good."
-Gang of Four
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Yes - from someone who has spent a lot of time in cyclone country in Nth. Queensland - that looks like a real shit storm a-coming.

-----

BTW: (hope this doesn't sound ghoulish, but...) - does the bureau of meteorology there have live weather radar on the internet anywhere? I'd like to see how that thing moves.

(as I said - I often work in FNQ - here we can track nasty weather at http://www.bom.gov.au)
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

yeah, my wife is really interested in the hurricane stuff so she gave me this link for you:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/satellite.shtml
the "Loop" links are animated images. Interesting to see both the visible and the infrared as well as others.
try this link:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT ... -loop.html
-bill

ps the line that comes across the screen is daylight as the sun rises... now that's pretty cool looking.
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

those are way cool links Bill. Thanks! Especially the daylight line..very very cool indeed.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others

Post by JonPorobil »

Hey, I tried to post here earlier, but Songfight appeared to be down. I've been safe in Ohio, so don't worry about me.

My family refused to evacuate, but when the city flooding refused to subside, they finally bummed a ride off a stranger (three grown people and a dog got a ride from a stranger; God bless him, wherever he is) to Houma, LA, and from there my stepfather's family picked them up and brought them home to Baton Rouge.

Everybody is alive and well, though we've been thrown rather forcefully into poverty. At least we all have our health.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Glad to hear you and yours are all right. :)
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Mogosgatai's in Jersey I think. Ask Egg he knows more than I do.
NeilThrun
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by NeilThrun »

Totally Anarchy. Killing, looting, people starving. Civilization cant hope to defeat something like this. All you can do is cope. While total lawlessness as always interested me this situation only makes me sick.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Yeah, someone shot down a rescue helicopter. Shot down a rescue helicopter. What. The. Fuck. Why? I don't know. But the shot down a rescue helicopter. Agh....

It makes me sick.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

The situation is unfathomable for most of us .. There's a gallery on The Washington Post's site that gives a glimpse, as tastefully as is possible under the circumstances: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... ?startat=1

(And I'm pretty sure the helicopter thing was just a rumour ... Thank God: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1087205 )
joe w
A New Player

Post by joe w »

I moved to New Orleans on Aug 1 of this year. I left Saturday with just a few things I threw in my car. I'm safe and sound now, but it looks like I lost everything. It's hard to feel too sorry for myself when I see the state of those still in the city.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man

Post by Bjam »

Eep. What bad timing. I'll be sending good vibes down to that area.
Egg
Mean Street
Instruments: whistles and egg shakers
Recording Method: Cakewalk, Cubase, Audacity, Garageband
Submitting as: Phunt Your Friends

Post by Egg »

Ya, Mogosagatai is in New Jersey with a ton of our friends. Almost everybody I know there has been contacted and they evacuated. There are only a couple of people I'm still noticably worried about...but that's silly, because there are thousands of people still in the city, victim to roving gangs that armed themselves by looting and there are insane stories of bodies lining a street, laying in their own blood because they were not drowned but shot. I hope some of these are exaggerated rumors. I'm going back into the city as soon as I can get off of this stinking harvest and try to do some real good. Although, organizations like the Red Cross require lots of training before you can help anybody, so I might be going vigilante style.

At one point, they were reporting that 80% of the city was flooded. They said they think it will be at least a month before they can pump enough water out to be up and running again in order to work on reestablishing electricity and roads... insane. The way people are talking, it seems like they might barely have reopened the city when I get back to the states.
glug glug glug egg makes wine. You can make wine too.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Bodies can't line a street in New Orleans right now. They'd float away.

There have been numerous shootings, though, including at least one cop.

And for those keeping track, they declared Martial Law Tuesday morning.

Egg
Mean Street

Post by Egg »

Generic wrote:Bodies can't line a street in New Orleans right now. They'd float away.
I don't want to be an alarmist. I mean, that's my account of somebody else's account and so on. But there are lots of streets that aren't flooded and lots of the flooded areas have no currents. I did see some impressive pictures of people canoeing past parts of my campus and some of other streets nearby where the water has receded and most of the homes seem very salvageable.

Let's hope they can work through this quickly.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

I just got this strange text message from my older half-brother (same dad, different mom).

"I'm in Nashville. Sis & Mother are good. Have several job offers. Decision making is difficult, though. Must start new life. Positive thinking is key. Drugs help. Keep in touch."

This whole ordeal disturbs me so.

Egg
Mean Street

Post by Egg »

I just read a really positive account of uptown. Somebody who stayed said there were no signs of looting up there when they went to help evacuate hospice. Umm.. my school, and many New Orleans schools probably, have cancelled the fall term and are pleading that other colleges bail them out. This is a really silly plan really. They want other schools to accept students of Tulane's for a semester only and to charge what the student would normally be paying at Tulane. And then they want those universities to remit funds to Tulane later. The schools get to keep money from housing or such and a warm feeling for helping out... hmm.. let's see how that works out.

I hope the city gets through. Uptown is one thing, but there's so much to New Orleans.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

I think it will work out. Kenyon is helping, and we're the third-most expensive school in the country. So if we can semi-float a few Tulane students, I don't see why other schools shouldn't.

Bjam
Ice Cream Man

Post by Bjam »

A local private school, Devon Prep, is hosting kids from the area until they can go back to their families and such.