JoCo Cruise 2017: March 4-11, 2017 How To Be In A Songwriting Contest

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

JoCo Cruise 2017: March 4-11, 2017 How To Be In A Songwriting Contest

Post by BoffoYux »

Are any SongFighters going to be on the JoCo Cruise 7 in March? I'm hosting a Shadow Panel discussion on the boat with some SpinTunes artists and at least two NurEiners, and was hoping there might be some overlap with SongFight.

I'm also creating a ST sampler disk to give away to the audience for free. If someone here wants to work on a SongFight or NurEin version, I'd be willing to distribute that out to the crowd as well. Thoughts? Complaints? Ideas? I've got 2000 nerds on a boat, and I'm hoping a hundred or so of them might be interested in listening to the panel and hopefully entering some songs to the contests.

Cut off for this will be soon. The trip is in early March, so I'm rushing to master about 50 artists on a DVD data disk, and do a PDF booklet with hyperlinks, artist bios, and album art. If there's some interest, I'd do one for SongFight / NurEin as well.
BoffoYux
Panama

Re: JoCo Cruise 2017: March 4-11, 2017 How To Be In A Songwriting Contest

Post by BoffoYux »

A Follow up from the cruise -

ST Panel discussion went well. Distributed over 100 DVD Data disks with 60 artists on them. Also hand delivered to a bunch of talent on the boat including Jean Grae, Wil Wheaton, Molly Lewis, John Roderick, David Rees, Rebecca Sugar and Paul Sabourin. Final count on the boat were 1681 paid attendees.

I'm hoping to do something similar for 2018. Willing to distribute a SongFight DVD as well if people are interested, and have folks on the panel if you make it on the ship.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

That's awesome! I somehow missed your original post in this thread, otherwise I would have replied. :( I looked at the Cruise and thought it sounded like a lot of fun, but we couldn't make it work into our schedule and budget. We're saving up time and money for our honeymoon.

I'm curious who the Nur Einers were that were there? It would be awesome to get influx of folks like the ones you listed. Some of them know MC Frontalot but who knows if he ever mentioned Song Fight! to them. I feel like Song Fight is kind of in a weird place where it's too small time for that crowd in a way that it might not have been for people in a similar musical calibre 15 years ago. Now they actually have a lot of outlets and platforms for their music with audiences. They may not want to give stuff away on some random Web site. I think too Song Fight could maybe not appeal to people who are looking at songwriting as their job, since they wouldn't be getting paid, or if it's their passion they might not like having to write for a title. I don't know though, just speculating.

Anyway, thanks for the outreach work, sounds like you probably had a great time on the cruise. I will investigate next year's cruise now...
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

Nur Einers on the Cruise that I knew of were Glen Raphael and Boffo Yux Dudes. SpinTuners this year included Brian and Zoe Gray, and Adam Sakellarides. Last year Spenser Sokol was there (Masters of Song Fu) as well as a bunch of MOSF 'Masters', such as Jonathan Coulton, Paul & Storm, Molly Lewis, and The Doubleclicks,

MC Frontalot was on an earlier cruise - very nice chap. I've shot a few of his concerts at Pax East and Boston at the Middle East.

Best part of the JoCo Cruise is the volume of 'Shadow' events. People who paid to be on the ship, and who get a semi-official time and room to do their own entertainment.
Most of the panel had their own shadow concerts. There was about 100 hours of 'Official' shows, and 300 hours of shadow events this year. I missed a lot of what was available because of the volume of things happening at the same time.

It would be cool to promote SongFight in some way - I've added it to the SeaMonkey group that just formed as a option for them to contribute songs to. One of the audience members of the panel discussion will be doing Nur Ein as a result of the panel, and she finished a shadow song for the last ST one day after the boat docked.

I'm also attempting to get more interest by doing the Listening Parties when I can. You'd be surprised that people forget it's an ongoing fight every 2 weeks. If I can commit to some future dates in advance, I can promote the links for people to check out.

The other fun thing is doing the TV version of Nur Ein for PEG access stations. I'm on one right now at 1:00 am for the 8 weeks. I post the shows to tighten things up, and have to mute any swears because of local regulations, but at least it's some publicity for the artists and site.

Looking forward to doing it again in 2018. Probably another Panel Discussion, and maybe a concert or presentation if a get around to it, and some sort of giveaway disk with artist music on it. People love getting free music, and if it ends up in other creator's hands. You never know who might get a chance to listen to it.