Video finally done for SFL 05: Sox and Rock

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Video finally done for SFL 05: Sox and Rock

Post by the Jazz »

Hi there, assorted folk. Some of you no doubt remember me as that guy who was making the DVD for SongFight! Live 2005 and then flaked out and disappeared. Well I'm very happy to finally be able to bring solid results: I have the DVD authored, fully encoded, ready to burn; and I have a lower-quality AVI render of the whole shebang ready for distribution.

Originally I had planned to produce a spiffy, professionally duplicated DVD with bells and whistles, but given the amount of time that's passed I don't know if there's still enough interest to warrant the financial risk for me. Paying rent is, as Martha would say, a good thing. So that's something I'll be thinking about---meanwhile I want to make the AVI available, and I believe the best way to do that would be as a torrent. So: Does anyone with experience creating torrents have a recommendation for a good tracker, and/or an invite to Demonoid?

The AVI is of reasonable quality but has no title menu, scene select or chapter markers. It includes at least one song from each performer's set, the live fight in its entirety, and brief credits. I have spot-checked the major problem areas and will play the file straight through to make sure there are no hideous compression errors before putting up a torrent link. It is 2 hours, 11 minutes in duration and the file is 1.68 GB.
Let cake eat them.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

psh, fuck bittorrent, between songfight and i we have prolly 4TB/mo of bandwidth. :D

i'll give you an ftp account if you want one.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

let's put it on songfight.org-- it has plenty of dt allowance to spare.
if you put it on a web server somewhere, i'll wget it from dreamhost.
otherwise, i guess i can make you an ftp account and mv it to sf.org's directory.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Well... I've got 2 TB monthly transfer with the company that's hosting WriteFight. Problem is, putting it up would mean a solid 12 hours of bandwidth-destroying upload over a wifi network that hiccups several times in a day, making me skeptical about whether I could even get it through FTP in one piece. And I've got Vonage, which means my phones would be nigh-unusable for the duration.

I suppose I could make a split archive, but that's a pain in the ass for everyone and would take just as long to upload. At least with BT people can start getting it as soon as the torrent file is made. I'm not married to BT, though. I wonder if there's a way to extract the archive serverside? That would be cool.
Let cake eat them.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

I guess if all else fails I could just drive to your place, steal the CD and upload it from here. Bandwidth, speeding jeep, route ninety-three and all that.
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

torrent it, and when somebody who can upload it has the whole thing, i'll make them an ftp account for the purpose. then we can watch it from the convenience of our browsers :)
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

\m/ Click here to download .torrent file \m/

I usually only run uTorrent at night. Until there's another seed or the availability starts looking good, I'll be running it 24/7, but with very limited upload during the day. That being said, I did some rough calculations and there should be a second copy distributed among the swarm within 72 hours. The more people there are downloading, the faster it will eventually get, of course.

Ben, if you want to come grab some sort of physical copy, that works. I'm a 5 minute walk from Davis on the red line, shoot me an email (huth dot alex at that good old gmail dot com... without all the extra jazz) if you want directions or to figure out timing. I have to go buy some DVD-Rs---Superdrive my ass, damn thing spits out every +R I feed it.
Let cake eat them.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

jb wrote:torrent it, and when somebody who can upload it has the whole thing, i'll make them an ftp account for the purpose. then we can watch it from the convenience of our browsers :)
:nono: inefficient. ftp'ing it is still the best plan.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

I have 2.2% and it estimates a further 2 days.

(I'm kinda dreading to see this. 2005 was pretty long ago :/)
Songfighter since back in the day.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Bjam wrote:I have 2.2% and it estimates a further 2 days.
I have some 1% and some Skim and I estimate they have only a few days remaining as well.

(These are the jokes.)
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

I humbly suggest a link in song news because active torrents are healthy torrents and I'm going to keep seeding whether there's FTP or not. I am a little drunk though so

I can't finish that sentence because I don't remember what it is. Hi... peers.
Let cake eat them.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

I have it all downloaded. What shall I do with it now? (Other than, y'know, watch it)

Btw, from the skipping through it that I've done, it looks super nice quality and a little grin escaped when I first pressed play. SFLs really are a lot of fun, especially with lots of people who all just want to have a good time. The dancing during The Landfills is epic. Someone with skills must make little .gifs of certain people's moves.

Edit: I think Jeff and Spud both have the most unfortunate/best moments in this. Everyone is obviously dancing off-camera, and they just go a little bit too much to the right and it's just them freaking out/dancing by themselves in shot. Wonderful/Hilarious to watch, but possibly unfortunate/embarrassing. (Also, I forgot how many people used my guitar. That is one whore of a guitar.)
Songfighter since back in the day.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Yep, Mr. Sparkles gets around. By the way missie, write some friggin' stories, whydoncha! We're on a biweekly schedule now so no excuses. Grr.

I burned a DVD copy today: title and scene select and etc. are working, chapter navigation is hunky-dory, it's loud enough. Everything seems good to go. Running the numbers on a quality short-run duplication, the service that's been recommended to me won't go lower than 100 copies, but mediatechnic will do 50 and price seems good. Would anyone like to volunteer to do DVD cover art?
Let cake eat them.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

My download just finished and I'm checking it out now. Awesome work! The quality level is very high. Man, that was a good time, and this brings a lot of it back.

EDIT: I think there's a typo in Boltoph's name. It shows as "Botolph" (his song is "Mad City").
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

Bjam wrote:Wonderful/Hilarious to watch, but possibly unfortunate/embarrassing.
Dancing is inherently embarrassing.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Bjam wrote:Also, I forgot how many people used my guitar. That is one whore of a guitar.
Didn't everybody and their mom use Mr. Sparkles during the Wayne show as well?
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

To the person downloading the video from my Mac right now, sorry, I'm shutting it off for the day. It'll be back in 9-10 hours.
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

Who has time/bandwidth to upload this to songfight? PM me.

J
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

Excellent work, Jazz.
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

I believe you should now be able to download the video from the following URL:

http://songfight.org/live/sox_and_rock/SFLDVD.avi

JB
adjuster
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Jeskola Buzz
Recording Method: OH, GOD, THE PAIN!
Submitting as: The Landfills

Big thing...

Post by adjuster »

jb wrote:I believe you should now be able to download the video from the following URL:
Holy god that thing is big! 1.8GB...

Thanks for hosting it. Three or four days hence I should be able to watch it... *smile*

I, too, miss Mr. Sparkles...
"A person who is born with extraordinary natural talents, or who is extremely lucky, deserves nothing on the basis of these characteristics." - Edwin C. Hettinger
--
The Attitude Adjuster, Arugably the remaining half of "The Landfills"
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Hey Jazz, this is really nice. Thanks for following through with this. It's really great and brought back nice memories.