Songfight Tour 2008 Planning

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Songfight Tour 2008 Planning

Post by ken »

Songfight West Coast Tour 2008
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/songfightnortham ... tcoastlive

Confirmed:
Friday, March 28, at <a href="http://www.thespotcafelounge.com">the Spot Café & Lounge</a> Culver City, CA (used to be Synergy Café; same site as last year).
Wednesday April 2 2008 at <a href="http://www.spacegallerysf.com/"> Space Gallery</A>, San Francisco, CA
Friday, April 4th, 2008 at <a href="http://www.takeitin.com/">Imbibe</A>, Portland, OR 97214
Saturday April 5, at <a href="http://www.seattleirishpubs.com/triangle/">The Ould Triangle</A> Seattle, Washington

tentative:
3/27 - San Diego - hosted by Seamus
3/28 - Orange County - hosted by Ross Durand
3/30 - San Luis Obispo - hosted by Evil-E
4/6 - Spokane - hosted by Glenn Case
4/7 - Moscow - hosted by Marcus Kellis

Ideas for extending the tour before or after as well as in the middle are encouraged.
Last edited by ken on Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Re: Songfight Tour 2008 Planning

Post by anti-m »

ken wrote:Okay, so let's start fresh.

I'd like to see the tour go something like this:

3/20 - San Diego - hosted by Seamus
3/21 - Orange County - hosted by Ross Durand
3/22 - Los Angeles - hosted by Stateshirt
3/23 - San Luis Obispo - hosted by Evil-E

3/26 - San Francisco - hosted by Ken

3/28 - Portland - hosted by Anti-M
3/29 - Seattle - hosted by Spud
3/30 - Spokane - hosted by Glenn Case
3/31 - Moscow - hosted by Marcus Kellis

Ideas for extending the tour before or after as well as in the middle are encouraged.
It sounds like RG would like to be able to do the Seattle end of things, but can't do it that particular week. If we moved the whole shebang one week later (thereby avoiding the Easter issue too) would that be acceptable?

It would look like this:

3/27 - San Diego - hosted by Seamus
3/28 - Orange County - hosted by Ross Durand
3/29 - Los Angeles - hosted by Stateshirt
3/30 - San Luis Obispo - hosted by Evil-E

4/2 - San Francisco - hosted by Ken

4/4 - Portland - hosted by Anti-M
4/5 - Seattle - hosted by Spud
4/6 - Spokane - hosted by Glenn Case
4/7 - Moscow - hosted by Marcus Kellis
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

I've been exchanging emails with Stone Brewing company about doing a Song Fight show there. This is the greater San Diego area - Escandido. Not sure what the chances are, I'm up the chain to waiting to talk to the owner when he gets back.

My 2 cents is that it is very difficult to pull off weekday shows. I can't really miss the work. Last year I think Ken was the only take a week off and drive to every show guy. I'd suggest keeping the shows to Saturday and Sunday, and maybe Friday.

Of course I can do a workday in the Bay area because I'm local.

My cities are San Diego, LA, Bay area, Portland, and Seattle. In a very selfish perspective, I'd love to see them line up on weekends.

Of course, I leave it to the efforts of the organizers to do what they think is best, just thought I'd voice my perspective.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
anti-m
Ice Cream Man

Post by anti-m »

glennny wrote:I've been exchanging emails with Stone Brewing company about doing a Song Fight show there. This is the greater San Diego area - Escandido. Not sure what the chances are, I'm up the chain to waiting to talk to the owner when he gets back.

My 2 cents is that it is very difficult to pull off weekday shows....

My cities are San Diego, LA, Bay area, Portland, and Seattle. In a very selfish perspective, I'd love to see them line up on weekends.

Of course, I leave it to the efforts of the organizers to do what they think is best, just thought I'd voice my perspective.
For the most part, the tour kinda clusters around weekends -- Let me add the days of the week so that people can more easily review/adjust.

3/27 (Thrusday) - San Diego - hosted by Seamus
3/28 - (Friday) Orange County - hosted by Ross Durand
3/29 - (Saturday) Los Angeles - hosted by Stateshirt
3/30 - (Sunday)San Luis Obispo - hosted by Evil-E

4/2 - (Wednesday) San Francisco - hosted by Ken

4/4 - (Friday) Portland - hosted by Anti-M
4/5 - (Saturday) Seattle - hosted by Spud
4/6 - (Sunday) Spokane - hosted by Glenn Case
4/7 - (Monday) Moscow - hosted by Marcus Kellis
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Of course, this is just suggested as it makes sense to me. Things may change due to interest, lack there of, and availability.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

if there's any interest in playing santa cruz again, let me know.
Hi!
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

The more shows the better.

fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Wednesday kind of sucks in general.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man

Post by anti-m »

fluffy wrote:Wednesday kind of sucks in general.
Whelp, Huston, we have a problem. Not every stop on the tour can be a weekend -- so we need to decide where on the tour the weekends should fall.

I tried to group the stops where folks were likely to attend multiple shows around weekends in my initial guestimate. (The SoCal branch -- the PacNW branch)

Perhaps I've miscalculated though. I think what we need first is a show of hands:

1. Who's up for appearing in your hometown? (And where might that be?)

2. Who's considering voyaging beyond the hometown to other cities on the tour?

Optional question: If you are considering #2 -- do you have any calendar whims and / or restrictions?

I'll start:

I'm up for organizing Portland -- but honestly, the sooner I can nail down an actual date the better! I may even perform in Portland.

I am not planning on visiting other stops on the tour. Unfortunately this period marks BUDGET HELL for me at work, so I wont be very mobile.

So, as far as I'm concerned, a weeknight in Stumptown is A-OK!

Comments? Thoughts?
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I am up for San Francisco of course, and I might be coerced into going to one or two of the neighboring stops. I have plenty of vacation time, so maybe I could even be convinced to do the whole tour.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I'd do Berkeley/SF. I'm also most interested in LA and Seattle, and could swing a stop to at least one of those places. I'm not sure I can do both like last year. I'm just not that hard core.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

I just want to throw a little positive energy on the subject - the schedule looks great to me. Although Wednesdays do sometimes suck, it is true, playing a show with Ken and some of the rest would make it suck a lot less, no?

I would also love to see Santa Cruz added to the schedule. Not committing to coming further South than Portland just yet, but the more shows in a row, the more likely it would be.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

well, if a santa cruz show were to happen, it would make sense to have it 2 days after the SLO-town show and the day before the SF/berkeley/south bay show. that way there could be a travel day coming from the south. it would probably also mean a mid-week show but i'm ok with that.

the bay area is pretty well supported i think by local songfighters and i doubt we'd need to do more than 2 shows, maybe 3 around here, wherever those shows might be. 3 shows might spread things thin over 3 straight days, depending on the out of town folks, but i think 2 shows could be easily supported just by the local folks. i'm easy. i'm happy to try to oblige if critical mass supports it.

hey, that team seahorse gang throws a good party! :)

also, if it happens, would love to have you MC again spud!
Hi!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Okay, thinking about it: I would definitely like to do Santa Cruz thru Seattle, if I have enough vacation time for that (and I believe I do). I have been learning to totally rock the loop pedal with my depressed emo-wangst style.

HOWEVER: I do not have a car so I will need to bum rides off other members of the San Francisco contingent and thereabouts, at least for SC and such. (Or I could rent a car or something I guess. But I hate driving also.)

Also as far as venues go, recently I discovered and fell in love with <a href="http://www.mezzaninesf.com/">Mezzanine</a> which ostensibly caters to the indie/experimental crowd. Might be a bit big for our tiny britches though. But that'd be an awesome stage to take. (Plus it's like RIGHT BY my apartment and so we could do a big ol' chillaxing thing there afterwards.)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

jack wrote: hey, that team seahorse gang throws a good party! :)
Hell yeah!
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

I'll do San Diego and LA if they're on the weekends, I'll do any Bay area show any weeknight, I'll do Portland and Seattle if they're on weekends.

I suppose my biggest hope is that Seattle can fall on a weekend.

By the way I just found out that I have connections to Freight and Salvage in Berkeley, seems like the best place for Song Fight if there ever was one. I will explore exploiting that connection.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

OH yes, huge caveat is that I might be traveling to Japan around that time (for business) so I'll have to get my boss to actually commit to a specific schedule.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

1. Hell yeah. PDX.
2. The PDX-Seattle one-two punch, definitely, possibly stops after that as well depending on band, dates, and vacation time.
2. (Optional) Can't make March 29th (and it was very kind of you to revamp the original schedule :D ) and April 8th.

You'd better perform in Portland, Auntie! Or host the show in a ringmaster's (mistress?) costume, top hat and tails, heh!
Last edited by Rabid Garfunkel on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

I'd be a maybe for Seattle and Spokane, and a more far-out maybe for Portland. But I think I'm going to host a concert on that Monday, April 7 (rabid? you mistyped?), whether any songfighters come or no. I've been looking to get a show going here in town to spotlight my band and a couple friends' bands, and this would be a good opportunity for it.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Nope, no mistyping, anti-m's got the reigns this time. The 7th in Moscow is a possibility for p++, just don't know how much of the band's available for that show yet.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:2. (Optional) March 29th (and it was very kind of you to revamp the original schedule :D ) and April 8th.
mkilly wrote:But I think I'm going to host a concert on that Monday, April 7 (rabid? you mistyped?), whether any songfighters come or no.
Rabid Garfunkel wrote: Nope, no mistyping (...) The 7th in Moscow is a possibility for p++(...).
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

Hey guys. Been battling the flu... the fever seems to be breaking today... quick thought(s)....

I wish I could attend, but I can't afford the plane fare on such short notice. If anyone wants to organize a MidWest tour (say St Louis, Memphis, Nashville, Chicago, Austin, etc), I'd be down for that. :)
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more