Files which claim to be MP3s but aren't actually MP3s

Let us know when something isn't working correctly, or if you find a typo. Do not post complaints or suggestions here.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

fluffy wrote:Except, uh, Samaritans were a people who were entirely reviled back in Jesus' day. The point of the allegory was that even though someone may be a Samaritan they could still be friendly and altruistic.
I was referring to the modern day organisation which field calls from the distressed and suicidal and try and cheer up their surroundings. Maybe you don't have those in the States. Your interpretation works too. :)
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

That organization is badly-named. And people are always referring to well-behaving people in general as 'Samaritans.' Which bothers me.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

fluffy wrote:That organization is badly-named. And people are always referring to well-behaving people in general as 'Samaritans.' Which bothers me.
I think you mean Good Samaritans. Maybe it's because of this:

The Good Samaritan is a famous New Testament parable appearing only in the Gospel of Luke (10:25-37). The parable is told by Jesus to illustrate that compassion should be for all people, and that fulfilling the spirit of the Law is more important than fulfilling the letter of the Law.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yes I know about the term "Good Samaritan." The problem I have is when people drop the "good."
roymond
Beat It
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I've never heard that. I mean I see people dropping the "good" generally, this being America and all.
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

Back on topic: Here's a page that gives the Public Radio slant to why they use mp2 as an intermediate format.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yes, mp2 is perfectly fine as an intermediate format, when you absolutely need to store your intermediate stuff compressed. But most portable mp3 players can't play mp2, and they're not actually mp3 files anyway, so either way they don't belong in the Song Fight archive (nor do they really belong in the typical home recording workflow). And the particular one I found was encoded at such bad quality that there is absolutely no justification to it based on NPR's reasoning anyway.

IN any case, the point to this thread is that if I or someone else comes across any more mp2 files, I'll point them out so the fightmasters can replace them or so people will understand why they're getting errors from iTunes or their portable player or whatever.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Puce wrote:
Puce wrote:"](totally awesome and accurate ranting triggered by a site created in jest)
that's what i saw.