the sidefights archive!!

Let us know when something isn't working correctly, or if you find a typo. Do not post complaints or suggestions here.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Re: the sidefights archive!!

Post by ken »

I found a random song where I did a spoken word version of Pray For Mojo's Husky Youth. i think it was for some kind of fight, but I really don't remember.

http://kni.songhole.org/mp3s/webdisk/Ke ... yYouth.mp3

There is it if anyone wants to save it for posterity.

I also remember there was a themesong fight where I wrote an awesome themesong for Sober Irishman and Marcus Kellis wrote an Xrated one for me. Ring a bell with anyone?

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

What with the K.A. Archive and the official archive overlapping, I don't know what I am supposed to be adding or updating any more. Could someone clarify? I have lost track.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm not exactly clear on it, either. Sorry if I've added to the confusion. Looking at the Sidefight Archive vs. the Hxaro Archive, it looks like the Hxaro Archive is operated by King Arthur and the songs are hosted on songfight.org, whereas the Sidefight Archive is operated by ... somebody? Spud? JB? ... and only has links to songs hosted elsewhere. So I guess for my request what I am asking for is to have the link for that cover changed to point to the song on my server, though maybe that's not a great idea. Perhaps I should instead try to contact Roy Castle/Marin Chitty and get him to fix his link?

I did just see this page of "needed" hxaro songs and I have one of them, Patrick Clayton's cover of Pray for Mojo's "Adaptation", soI'll contact KA about that when I get home.
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

Well, I maintain the page which is linked as "Sidefight Archive", and am willing to update it from time to time, as new sidefights are in the books. I should start with the last two Nur Ein competitions.

And although the stuff that King Arthur has collected is on the songfight server, I do not seem to have access to it. I would love to combine them all under the Sidefight Archive, and then give the King access to THAT, and let him maintain it!

SPUD
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

I would like for each and every Song Fight related song to be archived on Song Fight so they will never be lost again.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

define "Song Fight related song".
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

My understanding of the hxaro archive is that I have the FMs' permission to store "cover versions of songfight songs" on the sf server. So that cover of PfM's Husky Youth will get there when I get to it. I have another half-dozen or so songs to put up, as well.

I have not included cover versions (or originals) of nur ein songs or AAD songs, only covers of songs based on the SF titles. The originals should already be in the music archive.

I have also not included songfighters covering non-songfight songs (at least in part because that could raise copyright issues for the FMs). That Roy Castle cover of Pancho and Lefty falls into this category, and I don't expect to add it to the archive.

I know that there are still some songs in the sidefight archive which have not yet been put in the hxaro archive, but which should be (some of the very early coverfights, for example). I believe those are stored on #-related webspace, so they are not as likely to disappear unannounced as stuff stored on individual sites. Spud, if there are pressing reasons to get that stuff onto the SF server, let me know and I can up the priority.

Also, Spud, you (or I) should be able to update the links in the sidefight archive to point to the files in the hxaro archive. Umm, PM me if you want to give or get access one way or another.

Anyway, as far as KA is concerned, I have been given permission to put covers of songfight songs into the hxaro archive, and to build static HTML indices to those files (that is, I don't have any access to the SF database or to the CGI stuff that creates pages on the fly). I know that there is other "songfight related" music out there, but for now the hxaro archive is just for hxaro songs.

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

Thanks for the clarification, Charles. I will take a look at where this fits in and get back to you.

Ray
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

In the interest of preserving the work of this (rather remarkable) community for posterity, I am willing to host a copy (and allow the public to download/stream) any song whose creation was instigated through activity within the songfight community. This means sidefights of any stripe (that started in chat or on the message board), coverfights of songfight songs or sidefight songs, random covers that you just decided to do of some songfight song (like when Monty, Frank, and I covered "I Love You" by the Shortcakes), etc.

Basically, anything that doesn't belong on your own site, nor is copyrighted by someone else (like covers of commercial artists) could have a home on the songfight sites with the following provision: somebody other than me has to organize and maintain it, just like Charles is doing for the hxaro stuff. It can be glommed into what Charles is doing, it can be separate, there can be four separate spaces for all this crap, whatever. I'll make the subdomains and parcel out the server space.

You guys do the hard part. Just PM me when you're ready.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

So, just to confirm...

nur ein songs, originals and covers thereof?

AAD songs by songfighters and covers thereof?

SFL recordings (if somebody has 'em)?

but NOT coverfights of commercial artists, GOM songs, and the like where the song itself was not written by a songfighter.

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

correct, although it's really just a matter of wanting only songs where there was explicit or implicit (as is the case of most covers of songfighter's songs) permission for the cover. Like if you cover any of Brad Sucks' songs, you're cool. He's given permission (repeatedly and exasperatedly) for anybody to do anything they like with his songs as long as they're not jerks about it.

JB
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

And I'm not a strict kind of guy, so it's better to be inclusive and then remove stuff when there's a complaint, if that ever happens. Just setting a general guideline of what I'd prefer.

Don't worry too much about getting on my bad side with this, Charles. It'd be hard for you to do. Those of you who have expressed interest in doing this kind of thing are on my list of trustworthy people, and I'm confident that in the unlikely event, any problems we encounter will be minor and temporary.

You should just go nuts, it's fine with me.

JB
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

ken wrote:I found a random song where I did a spoken word version of Pray For Mojo's Husky Youth. i think it was for some kind of fight, but I really don't remember.
I remember this, I think it was more of an ad-hoc thing from the boards where people were doing covers they chose but always in a spoken-word style. Aha! SongFight Poetry Slam! I've got 13 files in that folder including that one.
I also remember there was a themesong fight where I wrote an awesome themesong for Sober Irishman and Marcus Kellis wrote an Xrated one for me. Ring a bell with anyone?
Yes, there were two theme song fights. I don't have time to check now but I thought they were already archived.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

HeuristicsInc wrote:Yes, there were two theme song fights. I don't have time to check now but I thought they were already archived.-bill
Yes, I think there were a few, but only one is archived at this point. Bill, it looks like you might have a very rare archive of SF lost songs.

Ken

frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

jb wrote:...like when Monty, Frank, and I covered "I Love You" by the Shortcakes), etc.
For the record, that song was by Gil Sans. I listened to our cover the other day and it's still awesome. :D
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

ken wrote:Bill, it looks like you might have a very rare archive of SF lost songs.
heh, i download a lot of stuff and i never throw anything out. let me know if you guys need more of that stuff.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Based on JBs comments, it looks like there are a number of mp3s that could be added to the hxaro archive to expand it into an archive of non-fight music by songfight artists. I think the main criteria will continue to be copyright issues, but that still leaves a number of things that can be added:

- anything listed in the sidefight archive not yet hosted on songfight
- "theme song" contests
- nur ein songs (and covers)
- AADs by songfighters (and covers)
- recordings from songfight live events
- (maybe) "albums" by songfighters (with the author's permission)
- "listen to my new song" stuff
- maybe the "Prayer for Pancakes" songs, rather than treating them as a fight ???

..and probably other things... anybody have other ideas, or objections to anything in the list above?

HInc, it does sound like you may have a bunch of treasures we could collect up. PM me and let's discuss what will be the easiest way to get some of that stuff added in...

Charles (KA)
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs

Post by The Weakest Suit »

if AADs are fair game, what about FAWM songs?
to me, both of these seem to have absolutely nothing to do with songfight, but if one is allowed, is the other?
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

I think that JB may have gone over the imaginary line that he had drawn by allowing the inclusion of AADs. These truly have nothing to do with Song Fight! JB?
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

Well, spud's right. Space is not an issue, but it would be good not to muddy the songfight waters. Things need to be songfighty to be in the archive, y'know? I just don't want you to feel like you have to read my mind or I'll flip out or something like that. After consultation with Spud, here's the list you posted, with "off-limits" items in strikethrough:

- anything listed in the sidefight archive not yet hosted on songfight
- "theme song" contests
- nur ein songs (and covers)
- AADs by songfighters (and covers)
- recordings from songfight live events
- (maybe) "albums" by songfighters (with the author's permission)
- "listen to my new song" stuff
- maybe the "Prayer for Pancakes" songs, rather than treating them as a fight (weird pseudo-fights belong among the fights, it makes things more awesome)

So I guess your general guideline is "it must tie back to songfight somehow", and if that rule is fuzzy, post a question here and we'll try to answer it.

JB
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Thanks much!

Charles
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Well if you want songs from Songfight Brooklyn, here ya go:
http://www.newzeromusic.com/sfbk.html

As for Nur Ein, I have them all. I just have to find them. All the NE3 links should be active.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost